PDA

View Full Version : Help with wireless speeds?

rack04
12-05-2009, 10:10 AM
I just recently upgraded my cable speeds to 30mbps. Unfortunately I'm only seeing 10mbps speeds through the wireless connection. When I plug the computer directly to the cable modem I get 30mbps. When I connect wirelessly to the Linksys WRT54G I only get 10mbps. In my low tech opinion something is limiting the wireless speeds to 10mbps but I can figure out where. I am using Windows XP. Thanks.

T.G
12-05-2009, 10:33 AM
Could be any number of things:

-Wireless distance and interferance lowering your speed (move computer closer, see if speed improves, turn off anything that might be generating EMI)
-Speed setting has been set to a lower rate on the router (check the firmware settings via the web interface)
-Speed setting on the card in your computer has been set to a lower rate (check the card speed settings via the control pannel, the systray icon in the lower right corner of the screen if present, or card software)
-Your computer is using an 802.11b card - which maxes out at 11Mbps. (upgrade the card)
-Card in the computer has been set to operate on 802.11b (check card settings per speed setting above)
-The router has been set to broadcast 802.11b only (check firmware settings via web interface)
-The moon is blue, it's Tuesday, and it's raining in Chicago, so sacrifice a rubber chicken over the computer while dancing the polka and singing the Ren & Stimpy "Happy Happy Joy Joy" lyrics to the beat of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida.

rack04
12-05-2009, 10:43 AM
-Wireless distance and interferance lowering your speed (move computer closer, see if speed improves, turn off anything that might be generating EMI)

Even with my laptop sitting 1 ft from the wireless router I still get the same speeds. We just moved into this house and only the essentials are unpacked, i.e. tv and computers. :r

-Speed setting has been set to a lower rate on the router (check the firmware settings via the web interface)

The Linksys WRT54G is running dd-wrt firmware. Any idea where to look in the GUI?

-Speed setting on the card in your computer has been set to a lower rate (check the card speed settings via the control pannel, the systray icon in the lower right corner of the screen if present, or card software)

I'm using the built in wireless adapter on my Asus P5K Deluxe WiFi-AP and built in wireless adapter on my Dell Latitude D830. Since both of these are experiencing the same slow wireless speeds it makes me think something in the router settings is limiting the speed.

-Your computer is using an 802.11b card - which maxes out at 11Mbps. (upgrade the card)

The wireless adapter in my PC is Realtek RTL8187 Wireless 802.11g 54Mbps USB2.0

-The router has been set to broadcast 802.11b only (check firmware settings via web interface)

In the GUI of the router the broadcast is set to mixed.

T.G
12-05-2009, 11:08 AM
Haven't used dd-wrt in years, looking through their docs now...

ran across this interesting tidbit:
"Afterburner will only improve speeds when used with clients that also have the Speedbooster/Afterburner feature; use with "normal" 802.11g clients will actually lower performance."
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Afterburner

Starz26
12-05-2009, 11:08 AM
In the GUI of the router the broadcast is set to mixed.

Change that to g only and see if that helps

rack04
12-05-2009, 11:23 AM
Haven't used dd-wrt in years, looking through their docs now...

ran across this interesting tidbit:
"Afterburner will only improve speeds when used with clients that also have the Speedbooster/Afterburner feature; use with "normal" 802.11g clients will actually lower performance."
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Afterburner

Afterburner is set to disabled

Change that to g only and see if that helps

Still the same slow speeds using g only.

Fishbeadtwo
12-05-2009, 11:50 AM
" sacrifice a rubber chicken over the computer while dancing the polka and singing the Ren & Stimpy "Happy Happy Joy Joy" lyrics to the beat of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. " Oh, please make sure to get pics ok?

Kreth
12-05-2009, 12:31 PM
A firmware update on the router might be worth a try.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starz26
12-05-2009, 03:28 PM
I know some dd-wrt firmware will reduce the performance speed depending on certain settings. Also dd-wrt is not the fastest firmware but fixes a lot of other needs / bugs.

You may want to try reflashing it with the factory firmware if the speed is a real issue.....dd-wrt's site should have the info you need to do so.

Sorry that my answer is not a quick fix...I love dd-wrt firmware but it has its own issues.

rack04
12-05-2009, 07:11 PM
I know some dd-wrt firmware will reduce the performance speed depending on certain settings. Also dd-wrt is not the fastest firmware but fixes a lot of other needs / bugs.

You may want to try reflashing it with the factory firmware if the speed is a real issue.....dd-wrt's site should have the info you need to do so.

Sorry that my answer is not a quick fix...I love dd-wrt firmware but it has its own issues.

So is a wireless connection inherently slower than wired?

T.G
12-06-2009, 12:34 AM
So is a wireless connection inherently slower than wired?

It's more prone to interferrance and problems that could reduce speeds, additionally, the maximum speeds of wireless connections tend to lag many years behind the maximum speeds of wired connections.

mosesbotbol
12-06-2009, 07:19 AM
What is your duplex speed on your wireless nic?

Wireless is not wired, no matter what speed they are claiming. The speeds are also maximum in theory, not average or expected speeds.

What are your repsonse times with tracert (both wired and wireless)? You can redirect to a file and post both outputs into the thread.

Thrak
12-06-2009, 02:51 PM
When you plug in you're only @ 30mbps?

How are you testing that?

cort
12-06-2009, 02:55 PM
I have Verizon FIOS and when I plug into my Ethernet cord I am runnin 100mbps but when I go through my router I only run 50mbps. I just figured thats the way it works.

rack04
12-06-2009, 09:20 PM
What is your duplex speed on your wireless nic?

Wireless is not wired, no matter what speed they are claiming. The speeds are also maximum in theory, not average or expected speeds.

What are your repsonse times with tracert (both wired and wireless)? You can redirect to a file and post both outputs into the thread.

Can you dumb it down a little?

When you plug in you're only @ 30mbps?

How are you testing that?

www.speedtest.net
www.speakeasy.net

Ratters
12-06-2009, 11:24 PM
Yeah, I get about 7mbs on my laptop and 21 on my desktop with Comcast. I could be getting faster but I have an old modem they're telling me to switch out.