PDA

View Full Version : Excuse the rant...

DougBushBC
12-04-2009, 06:44 PM
I want to make a brief comment and I apologize in advance if anyone gets upset and decides to neg rep me again....

That being said, I really don't understand some of the hatred/aggressiveness lately. I made a post in a thread that is now closed regarding if I should break up large shipments of CCs, no details were made, and I got a lot of constructive advice about it, both in the thread and in PMs after it was closed. This was what I was looking for, nothing detailed. Then a seriously aggressive inmate decided to trash me for the post, first claiming i must not have friends to ask about it, and then trashing me for how I handled the trashtalk. I requested to close the thread, and it was closed. Today I check my User CP and see that another inmate decided after the fact that now it was his job to police the threads and he neg repped me for the post, which was not illegal and skirted the rules quite well.

What is the deal with that, like seriously I have not made enemies here and have not been an ahole or rule breaker, and then people decide to be jerks? I thought this forum (and the cigar smoking community at large) was about brotherhood and friendship, but lately (this is not the only incident) there has been MEGA agro from some of the inmates...

What i mean to say is "CANT WE ALL JUST BE FRIENDS"? :-P

/end rant

pnoon
12-04-2009, 07:20 PM
As an admin, I'll make a couple of comments here - for better or for worse.

1) RG means doodly-squat. Giving/getting - get over it. It means nothing. There are outstanding members here who have low RG. There are members here who have a way over-inflated RG. Bottom line. RG/rep is a way to communicate privately. Nothing more. Nothing less.

2) Doug - I'm not going to address the comments and feedback you received. That will only stir the pot. However, the thread you originally posted was perilously close to being against the rules. Discussing shipping practices of Cuban cigars is not permitted. Period. Your thread caught the attention of the admin team from the get go. We decided to leave it be and just observe. This is a perfect example of how we as mods/admins are damned if we do and damned if we don't. If we had shut it down immediately, we would have been criticized for being heavy handed. By letting it go, it went south and caused all sorts of grief for everyone.

3) As to who has or hasn't been a "jerk" in this whole mess is not factual but an opinion that is as differing as the answer to "what box of cigars should I buy?". Everyone involved has some accountability.

Understand that my post here is not personal but just a statement of how this played out.

Sauer Grapes
12-04-2009, 07:24 PM
RG does mean diddly squat. I have low RG, Peter has high RG. Both of our farts stink.

pnoon
12-04-2009, 07:34 PM
RG does mean diddly squat. I have low RG, Peter has high RG. Both of our farts stink.
Speak for yourself. :tg

bobarian
12-04-2009, 07:36 PM

That got you some bumpage! :D

pnoon
12-04-2009, 07:37 PM

I didn't get any. :sad

68TriShield
12-04-2009, 07:42 PM
:tf should I be worried about this doodly squat thing???

bobarian

:pn Yours will earn you some negative RG! ;s :l

Sauer Grapes
Speak for yourself. :tg

You must be drinking your fernet-branca.

yourchoice
12-04-2009, 07:50 PM
Oooo Ooooo Ooooo Mr Kotter!!! My farts stink too!!!! :pn

pnoon
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
You must be drinking your fernet-branca.
Actually, today, it's been shots of Hornitos and Sam Adams Oktoberfest.
:al

Kreth
12-04-2009, 07:51 PM
Will I get neg-repped for pointing out that the phrase is "diddly-squat"? :r
Posted via Mobile Device

pnoon
12-04-2009, 07:54 PM
Will I get neg-repped for pointing out that the phrase is "diddly-squat"? :r
Posted via Mobile Device
Maybe for you it is. For me it's doodly-squat.

You squat your way. I'll squat mine. :r

CasaDooley
12-04-2009, 07:56 PM
:tf should I be worried about this doodly squat thing???

Only if it's followed by a:pn
Good lord, I just noticed that emoticon is pn! A connection possibly:hm :r

pnoon
12-04-2009, 07:58 PM
Only if it's followed by a:pn
Good lord, I just noticed that emoticon is pn! A connection possibly:hm :r
:r
Where the hell have you been?

CasaDooley
12-04-2009, 08:02 PM

Wait a minute, I'm thinking of a witty retort.

hotreds
12-04-2009, 08:17 PM
http://www.thelivinlowcarbshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/fart.jpg

CasaDooley
12-04-2009, 08:21 PM

Wait a minute, I'm thinking of a witty retort.

It's comin.

markem
12-04-2009, 08:32 PM

I'll have a talk with your better half when you come to visit. ;s :r

pnoon
12-04-2009, 08:36 PM
I'll have a talk with your better half when you come to visit. ;s :r

Touché

MajorCaptSilly
12-04-2009, 08:47 PM
I like cake better than rep.

MCS

madwilliamflint
12-04-2009, 09:30 PM
As a nerd I've been on forums and discussion groups all over the place about all kinds of weirdness for almost 30 years.

It ALWAYS happens. Always. It's human nature in aggregate. You're going to get outliers.

Frankly since I started smoking (August this year was my first smoke ever; an R&J Numero Dos paired with a Chateau Lafitte Rothschild. No wonder I'm hooked.) I've found the cigar smoking community to consistently be far and above the most polite, interesting, helpful group of people I have ever encountered.

Ever. Anywhere.

And this place has been pretty high on the list within that category.

No. It doesn't excuse ill-tempered comment. But the net score is so damn high here. Let it roll off ya if you can. Tough when it's personal though, no doubt.

o/

thebiglebowski
12-05-2009, 08:42 AM

wait, what? we have rep/RG??? where is this? honestly, i had no idea...

croatan
12-05-2009, 08:59 AM
Today I check my User CP and see that another inmate decided after the fact that now it was his job to police the threads and he neg repped me for the post, which was not illegal and skirted the rules quite well.

Ok, from the point of view of another admin, why would you even want to make a post that skirts the rules? We don't have a ton of rules here. The ones we do have are not arbitrary, but are well thought out and are here to protect both the members and the admins. And, as OLS pointed out in the other thread (in his own particular style ;) ), if you start a thread that barely skirts the rules, the chance that you're going to induce someone else to break the rules approaches 100%.

It disappoints me to think that people spend their time thinking of ways to get around the few rules we've established, drawing on some 60 or so collective years of moderating cigar boards. Believe me, they exist for a good reason.

Skywalker
12-05-2009, 09:05 AM

:tpd:

T.G
12-05-2009, 09:47 AM

:tpd:

(stinky-fart pile on bump!)

ChasDen
12-05-2009, 09:11 PM
No. It doesn't excuse ill-tempered comment. But the net score is so damn high here. Let it roll off ya if you can. Tough when it's personal though, no doubt.

:tpd: Let it go bro, did not see the other thread, but the fact is there are hundreds more good reasons for being here for each isolated case of "bad". As a whole tensions are high, people are struggling, interest rates are up, savings are down and the kids are screaming for a silly 8 dollar stuffed animal that is going for $40 bucks on EBay.

Why let it get you all uptight??

I like cake better than rep.

MCS

When I saw the thread title I knew it was going to end up being about cake :banger

Chas

madwilliamflint
12-05-2009, 09:18 PM
Me neither ChasDen. I was just guessing. I'm 100% with you. CA rocks.