PDA

View Full Version : Yes Virginia...

Demented
12-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Smoked English and Cavendish tobacco for more than 25 years, these days it’s strictly English. I find myself wanting to try a Virginia flake, something without any casing, but have no idea where to start.

Suggestions?

BigFrank
12-03-2009, 07:16 PM
Most of VA's I smoke are from Mcclelland. A lot of there bulks are pretty cheap. You can probably build yourself a sampler.
5100,2010,2020,5105,5115,2015( this is a VaPer but good ). Those are the bulk #'s. Smokingpipes.com had a bulk VA sampler awhile back but they do not sell it anymore. 1oz of each baccy will run ya 3-4bucks. So for 20-25 bucks, you can sampler a wide variety of VAs.
If you have some extra cash, I would recommend getting some xmas cheer to try also. Great VA, shame I never buy enough...

Nick
12-03-2009, 09:17 PM
Escudo(a bit of perique), Full Virginia Flake, Blackwoods flake, Union square (havent tried it yet but heard its good, not sure if its flake though)

Slow Triathlete
12-04-2009, 07:19 AM
Escudo(a bit of perique), Full Virginia Flake, Blackwoods flake, Union square (havent tried it yet but heard its good, not sure if its flake though)

I agree with Nick on these. Full Virginia is one of my all time favorites. Samuel Gawith also makes another virginia called Best Brown Flake which another great one.

Professor Mike
12-04-2009, 10:48 AM
#1 on my list is Peterson's Irish Flake. #2 Union Square # 3 SG's FVF. #4 Astley's#109. Vapers #1 Escudo,#2 Robert Mconnell Scottish Cake or Scottish Flake.:tu

Prof. Mike

RevSmoke
12-04-2009, 11:01 AM
All good suggestions above. If you are looking for straight Virginias, and the guideline is "without casings," then I would also suggest a call to Cornell and Diehl. Craig & Patty Tarler are good folks and will gladly answer questions and get out a sampler to you of some VAs.

A note about the McClelland Virginias listed above (and I personally have some in my cellar and enjoy them), of the ones listed by BigFrank, there are no VA "flakes" - 2020 would be considered a broken flake, that is with some large un-rubbed portions in it, but they are not flakes.

If you are looking for VA Flakes, then the others suggested would be your route to follow. And, to that I'd add (if Flakes are your first choice) Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster and Rattrays Marlin Flake.

If you want just straigh VAs, then I'd add Rattrays Hal 'o the Wind and Old Gowrie.