PDA

View Full Version : 2nds For everyday smokes?

Whynot
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Anyone tried many of the seconds CI carries? I decided to give the Perdomos a try. I figure I can share with non-cigar smokers if nothing else. Just looking for a cheap everyday cigar that I won't cry if I have to pitch it for an alarm or anything. I'm sure it has been asked, but I have not had any luck searching in the reviews for seconds. Thanks

Mr. Ed
12-02-2009, 11:42 AM
This thread had a good list: http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18590

I recommend the La Aurora 2nds from CI, very, very tasty.

Whynot
12-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Thanks. I swear I searched 2nds, seconds, mistakes, and several others terms and got nothing. My search(or spelling) skills must suck.

mosesbotbol
12-02-2009, 11:53 AM
I would not give a 2nd to a non-cigar smoker. Nothing better to turn them off from enjoying a cigar than giving them a crappy one.

Cigary
12-02-2009, 12:07 PM
I've smoked plenty of "seconds" that smoke just like the first line cigars. Rocky Patel, Perdomo, La Jimines, La Aurora to name a few. They smoke just as well as their first line.

Mr. Ed
12-02-2009, 07:09 PM
I would not give a 2nd to a non-cigar smoker. Nothing better to turn them off from enjoying a cigar than giving them a crappy one.
I always thought that 2nds were 2nds because of cosmetic flaws. Same chance you'll get a plugged 1st as a plugged 2nd. The La Aurora 2nd is pretty darn good, I would give it to anyone.:2

duckmanco
12-02-2009, 08:11 PM

:td seriously? I have yet to smoke ANY second that doesn't smoke exactly like the original, which include RP FS, Perdomo ESV 2nds, RP ITC 10th 2nds etc. Besides, the only difference I noted was no box, and no band on all of the above cigars.

Whynot
12-02-2009, 10:05 PM
The RPs I have had have been great. I had one bad burner out of 25 or so sticks, but I had not tried any others. Was just wondering if there were any definites one way or the other. Thanks

scoot
12-03-2009, 01:24 AM
Anyone have any experience with the super premium seconds that CI has?

mariogolbee
12-03-2009, 01:58 AM
The problem I have with 2nds is that I can usually get the 1sts on sale for less than the 2nds if I wait a while. I'm thinking of doing a group buy for some value sticks soon so look out for it if you're interested. If I do it I have a link to a review I'll see if I can include with the post.

mosesbotbol
12-03-2009, 07:01 AM
If your seconds are tasting like first quality, then sure- give to a smoker or non-smoker. My statement is really geared to low quality, lousy cigars... Call them whatever you want. Only give out cigars that are good tasting, especially to the newbies.

Someone who smokes cigars all the time is easier to make due with a crappy cigar. They'll get over it. A newbie/non-cigar smoker will just say cigars suck and move on...

TripleF
12-03-2009, 07:17 AM
I always thought that 2nds were 2nds because of cosmetic flaws. Same chance you'll get a plugged 1st as a plugged 2nd. The La Aurora 2nd is pretty darn good, I would give it to anyone.:2

Where can these be purchased?

mosesbotbol
12-03-2009, 07:28 AM
I thought 2nd's were just for blunt wraps?

Dunkel
12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
I've never smoked a second and don't intend to. Most of the seconds available are nearly the same price as firsts on C bid, so why bother?

Totemic
12-03-2009, 09:49 AM
I always thought that 2nds were 2nds because of cosmetic flaws.
I suspect it's more an overrun than cosmetic flaws. I've seen plenty of "firsts" with cosmetic flaws on them. And once you remove the band, and place 5 "firsts" next to 5 seconds, odds are you won't be able to tell which is which.

They smoke exactly the same as their banded version from what I can tell.

Totemic
12-03-2009, 09:56 AM
If your seconds are tasting like first quality, then sure- give to a smoker or non-smoker. My statement is really geared to low quality, lousy cigars...
Have you actually tried them?
Because when I first started smoking, I was a pretty big RP fan. So naturally, I was picking up "firsts" of RP Vintage 90/92, Decade and OWR. I also picked up several of the seconds along the way. I still have many of the firsts and seconds in my cooler (well at least 3/4 of a box/bundle of each anyways). Aside for the lack of bands and boxes, there's absolutely no difference whatsoever between the firsts and seconds.

mosesbotbol
12-03-2009, 11:08 AM
Have you actually tried them?

I have bought my share of 2nds, but the last one was maybe 8 years ago. You don't find Habanos 2nds, they get shredded into cigarette tobacco.

The only 2nds I would consider in NC's are in sizes that would a little expensive like double corona, pyramid, or churchill compared to buying 1st quality.

It really comes to giving 2nd's a "trial run" and if you happy; keep buying them. 2nd's means different things to different people and vendors. A spot or vein is no big deal. A tight cigar is the biggest deal as it just a throw away at that point. Not much of deal then.

Hey, as long as you are not buying JR's "tastes like Fuente" kind of cigar... I would not flush those down the toilet they are that bad.

Whynot
12-03-2009, 11:20 AM
Wow, this wasn't meant to turn ugly. If I can find 1st within about 15% cost, I go for it, but for a desert stog or yard work, 2nds just make sense to me. I have only had 1 out of about 25 with a bad burn. If I have the time to sit and relax with one, I usually dig for something good out of the humidors.

Mr. Ed
12-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Where can these be purchased?

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-LAB&cat=3

15 for $18, not a bad deal!;)

Pat1075
12-03-2009, 02:22 PM
RP makes a great bundled cigar to called cameroon especial that is worth looking into

OHMatt
12-07-2009, 08:56 PM
:tpd:

Cameroon Especiale is a great $2 retail stick.

Tabacos Baez Series SF is another great everyday smoke, box cigar, Pepin blend, under $3!

TripleF
12-16-2009, 06:08 AM

Thanks to Mr. Ed and Dunkel I just bought a 15 pack of these.......and free shipping!! :dance:

TripleF
01-04-2010, 05:12 AM
Been meanin' to post this for a couple of weeks....

The La Aurora 2nds are very, very tasty and are now in my weekly rotation......especially since they are less than $2.00 a stick :SS

Mr. Ed
01-04-2010, 01:11 PM

The La Aurora 2nds are very, very tasty and are now in my weekly rotation......especially since they are less than $2.00 a stick :SS

I gotta say I love them too, great cheap cigar!

duckmanco
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
to chime back in here once again, although I ain't smoked it yet, the 15 stick mazo of RP X-out Liga D robustos (RP Decade) look, smell, and have the same prelight draw and flavor as the 1sts I've had... proof is in the smoking, but all indicators are there.

Also, I read this on another board I frequent, but someone had an idea that RP was selling all those Factory Selects, 2nds, X-outs etc. as unbanded and unboxed 1st just to move more volume of product to more consumers, sort of a make the margins larger for those who'll pay, and move more product over all approach.... makes sense to me as once again, the 2nds look/feel/smoke exactly the same THUS far. I can't get over how consistently perfect the draw and flavor have been on every single RP sungrown FS PC, and every RP OWR X-out maduro torpedo I have had. I ain't no RP whore, although I do enjoy about 4 blends of his immensly, but if someone is reading this thread and wondering about whether to try 2nds or factory selects, then going the RP 2nd route is a NO BRAINER for sure IMO.

Rant off and more than my :2 given.

TripleF
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
to chime back in here once again, although I ain't smoked it yet, the 15 stick mazo of RP X-out Liga D robustos (RP Decade) look, smell, and have the same prelight draw and flavor as the 1sts I've had... proof is in the smoking, but all indicators are there.

Also, I read this on another board I frequent, but someone had an idea that RP was selling all those Factory Selects, 2nds, X-outs etc. as unbanded and unboxed 1st just to move more volume of product to more consumers, sort of a make the margins larger for those who'll pay, and move more product over all approach.... makes sense to me as once again, the 2nds look/feel/smoke exactly the same THUS far. I can't get over how consistently perfect the draw and flavor have been on every single RP sungrown FS PC, and every RP OWR X-out maduro torpedo I have had. I ain't no RP whore, although I do enjoy about 4 blends of his immensly, but if someone is reading this thread and wondering about whether to try 2nds or factory selects, then going the RP 2nd route is a NO BRAINER for sure IMO.

Rant off and more than my :2 given.

Thanks bro!! I'll be on those next!! :dance: Do they come from CI and or Famous?

-

duckmanco
01-05-2010, 12:12 PM
^^^^ Famous has Rocky's best 2nds, which are actually called RP Factory Selects.... this is the Sungrown blend. In an interview awhile back he listed the 2nds in order:

1sts - smokes with bands and boxed

Factory Selects - smokes with slightest wrapper imperfections, and ZERO construction issues.

2nds - smokes with even more wrapper imperfections, but these look better than most factories 1sts IMO, yet again with no construction issues.

So thats the order, not sure where CI's X-outs fall into the rank, but of all I have smoked of those, I'm nearly positive you could stick an OWR maduro band on my bundle and you couldn't tell the difference. Also, CI carries the 2nds and the X-outs, and I have and will again buy from both retailers.

If you want the best 2nd/factory select he makes, this is the Sungrown 2nd from Famous, don't see them offered in the FS anymore.

http://www.famous-smoke.com/brand/rp+factory+2nds+sungrown+cigars

Just prior to SCHIP, I pulled the trigger heavy on 7 bundles of the PC size in all they had left of the FS, and 2nds.... and I still ain't sorry I did.

T.G
01-05-2010, 12:19 PM
I've heard that the X-outs are sometimes blemished cigars, sometimes firsts - not really sure. But one thing that I have heard that seems to be fairly consistant, is that they aren't aged much after rolling, they're bundled and shipped as soon as they can get away with it, rather than letting them age the full time that the banded firsts get.

YMMV.

---------

Anyone have any experience with the super premium seconds that CI has?

Yes, a few or more years ago. Some bundles were very HdM like, some were very Punch like. No real variation in the bundles that I could recall - if the first cigar was "punch like" then all of them were, same for HdM. Other than that, a decent cigar. They used to be a great bargain, not sure if they are anymore, or how they smoke now, as I haven't looked at them recently. I have friends who still buy them and swear by them as daily smokes though.

TheRiddick
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
I am not sure why go for "seconds" when good "firsts" such as HdM Roths (MM or Oscuro) can be had for $110 per 50 (or Punch Roths). I know HdM/Punch are not talked about here much, but they are really good smokes, IMO, and at the price are an incredible deal. What's the attraction of buying "seconds"?

ripper
01-05-2010, 05:29 PM
These yummy babies taste the same as Rocky Patel The Edge maduro torpedos.
On sale for $59.95/bundle of 20 thru 1/11/10.
http://www.famous-smoke.com/rp+factory+classic+2nds+torpedo+cigars/item+31175
Great billows of smoke with an emphatic punch of spicy flavor. A dependable everyday smoke!

T.G
01-05-2010, 06:06 PM
I am not sure why go for "seconds" when good "firsts" such as HdM Roths (MM or Oscuro) can be had for $110 per 50 (or Punch Roths). I know HdM/Punch are not talked about here much, but they are really good smokes, IMO, and at the price are an incredible deal. What's the attraction of buying "seconds"?

Up until a few years ago, you could get CI's Super Premium Seconds for an average of about $19-21 a bundle of 25 on cbid. That low a price kind of made it worthwhile, especially when they wouldn't put up the boxes of 50 firsts.

I have no idea what they go for nowadays at auction. They list in the catalog at $40 for 25, versus $122-$127 for the box of 50 firsts from CI, so I agree, not much more to pay for a product where you know what blend you will be recieving and the cigars will probably have a bit more factory age after rolling on them too.

Random Guy
01-05-2010, 06:27 PM
Up until a few years ago, you could get CI's Super Premium Seconds for an average of about $19-21 a bundle of 25 on cbid. That low a price kind of made it worthwhile, especially when they wouldn't put up the boxes of 50 firsts.

I have no idea what they go for nowadays at auction. They list in the catalog at $40 for 25, versus $122-$127 for the box of 50 firsts from CI, so I agree, not much more to pay for a product where you know what blend you will be recieving and the cigars will probably have a bit more factory age after rolling on them too.

Adam,

I just won an auction @ C-Bid for these. $22 for a bundle of 25 (plus 4.95 shipping). I've heard good things about these and (for me at least) the price was very good.

I have never smoked one so, after I have a few, I will give my opinion. :ss

Smokin Gator
01-05-2010, 06:31 PM

If those are the ones I am thinking of they are very tasty. They were a very dark short filler stick that were great after a month or two of rest.

Smokin Gator
01-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Oh... and I have also smoke a bunch of the RP seconds/x-outs and have thoroughly enjoyed them.

Starscream
01-05-2010, 06:44 PM
2nds are good!:tu

tobii3
01-05-2010, 06:51 PM
you're talking to the connoisseur of cheap smokes.

I have a database of Consuegra conversions.

I have a cross reference for Flor de Copan's.

I remember when Oliva Segundos sold faster than firsts.

T.G
01-05-2010, 07:02 PM
Adam,

I just won an auction @ C-Bid for these. $22 for a bundle of 25 (plus 4.95 shipping). I've heard good things about these and (for me at least) the price was very good.

I have never smoked one so, after I have a few, I will give my opinion. :ss

:tu

If those are the ones I am thinking of they are very tasty. They were a very dark short filler stick that were great after a month or two of rest.

I dunno, they're not short filler, but they are stubby little sticks (50 x 4.5") and the rest of your description sounds about right.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-P2A&cat=3

Savor the Stick
01-05-2010, 09:44 PM

Always looking for an economical smoke...these I will be trying and if I like them will put a couple of bundles into my Humi.
Also been looking at the RP x/outs at CI the Edge has always been good to me.

Kreth
01-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Looking to order a bundle to burn a coupon Famous sent me. RP Factory Selects Original maddies look good (and free shipping). Anything else I should be looking at for ~$50?
Posted via Mobile Device

ChasDen
01-06-2010, 11:06 PM
I am not sure why go for "seconds" when good "firsts" such as HdM Roths (MM or Oscuro) can be had for $110 per 50 ...edit... What's the attraction of buying "seconds"?

Adam,
I just won an auction @ C-Bid for these. $22 for a bundle of 25 (plus 4.95 shipping). ...edit

Right there is the attraction :tu

I bid several times a month on many seconds on c-bid. My high bid is always less than $1 each with shipping. I loose 99% of the time but when I win, I get quality cigars that get rested for at least 6 months or longer and make excellent daily smokes. I smoke 2-3 a day while working and often set them down, get distracted or dropped. No problem when they are lass than a buck ;)

Chas

Kreth
01-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Looking to order a bundle to burn a coupon Famous sent me. RP Factory Selects Original maddies look good (and free shipping). Anything else I should be looking at for ~$50?
Posted via Mobile Device
Bueller?
Posted via Mobile Device

Tripp
01-07-2010, 08:10 PM
Bueller?
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't had them yet, but plan on pulling the trigger this week on Tabacos Baes S.F. I've had the normal version and liked it, but not the S.F. yet... They're 50.99 this week.

Kreth
01-07-2010, 09:30 PM
I haven't had them yet, but plan on pulling the trigger this week on Tabacos Baes S.F. I've had the normal version and liked it, but not the S.F. yet... They're 50.99 this week.
Haven't tried them yet either, but I haven't had a DPG stick that I didn't like. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted via Mobile Device

Whynot
01-07-2010, 11:44 PM
I got a box of the red dot Cohiba Pequenos the other day. Pretty tasty, cheap, quick smoke.

Smokin Gator
01-08-2010, 04:31 AM
:tuI dunno, they're not short filler, but they are stubby little sticks (50 x 4.5") and the rest of your description sounds about right.

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-P2A&cat=3

Those were the ones... They really were pretty tasty. I swear I remember them as short filler though. I also remember they were hard as a rock but had no burn issues.

The Poet
01-08-2010, 04:10 PM
A British buddy of mine called me on Christmas to wish me a happy holiday. He asked what I'd smoked to celebrate, and I told him I'd burned one of the CCs I'd received at the NYC herf in October. He told me he'd had to smoke a CC himself that day because he was completely out of his favorite - the Consuegra # 9. He's hoping he can make it to the States again sometime soon to restock, and hopes to get about 400 of them.

Take that info for what's it worth, or ignore it altogether - as that just means more for my friend. :ss

Starscream
01-08-2010, 07:11 PM
A British buddy of mine called me on Christmas to wish me a happy holiday. He asked what I'd smoked to celebrate, and I told him I'd burned one of the CCs I'd received at the NYC herf in October. He told me he'd had to smoke a CC himself that day because he was completely out of his favorite - the Consuegra # 9. He's hoping he can make it to the States again sometime soon to restock, and hopes to get about 400 of them.

Take that info for what's it worth, or ignore it altogether - as that just means more for my friend. :ss

Consuegras are great!:tu

TripleF
01-08-2010, 07:15 PM

Where can these be obtained?

Tripp
01-08-2010, 07:33 PM
Where can these be obtained?

Off the top of my head, I think they're only at JRcigars.com... but I might've seen them elsewhere too.

Nimbus
01-08-2010, 10:47 PM
Tampa Sweetheart bundles are good for everyday cigars that can be tossed at will. :2

Kreth
01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
So the one-shot coupon from Famous expires tomorrow. I get $10 off anything over $50. I'm thinking about grabbing a bundle of the AB Supervisor Selection Toros for $50.99 with free shipping. Anything else I should take a look at before I pull the trigger? Tough to beat that price, and they seem to get good reviews.
Posted via Mobile Device

duckmanco
01-18-2010, 06:38 PM
chiming in yet again here with a report back on my bundle of RP X-Out Liga D robustos (Decade blend)

FLAT OUT ASTONISHINGLY GREAT cigar in every way. Perfect draw and burn, no touch ups needed, and the flavor was right on too... loads of dark earthy semi sweet leathery cocoa action. I can see why people pay full shot for this blend, and truth be told I would too.... that is if CI weren't selling them unbanded for MUCH less.

Which, yet again this begs to me state, I have yet to have a single bad draw on ANY RP factory select, 2nd, or XOUT yet. And I hate, I mean hate an even less than perfect draw.

Rant off....again.

jerseystepup
01-18-2010, 06:59 PM

JR's has them... take this for what its worth.. but ive read somewhere in the past that the consuegas are punch seconds..

TripleF
01-19-2010, 05:58 AM
So the one-shot coupon from Famous expires tomorrow. I get $10 off anything over $50. I'm thinking about grabbing a bundle of the AB Supervisor Selection Toros for $50.99 with free shipping. Anything else I should take a look at before I pull the trigger? Tough to beat that price, and they seem to get good reviews.
Posted via Mobile Device

Not that I know of, but let us know how these are....I saw them the other day and wondered........

Wharf Rat
01-19-2010, 06:11 AM
JR's has them... take this for what its worth.. but ive read somewhere in the past that the consuegas are punch seconds..

The Honduran ones been acknowledged by a long time by JR to be seconds, overrruns, etc from (General Cigar's?) Villazon factory. They could be HyM, Punch, Excalibur, Belinda, others... There are now also Dominican Consuegras that I haven't heard the source of.

Kreth
01-19-2010, 08:16 AM
Not that I know of, but let us know how these are....I saw them the other day and wondered........
There's a thread in the review section, spelled Alex Bradley IIRC. A couple of guys really liked them. I'd link, but I'm on my phone.
I will do a review, but I'll probably let them rest for a few weeks first.
Posted via Mobile Device

barbourjay
01-19-2010, 09:40 AM
my neighbor swears by the flor de oliva maduro bundles. he is retired and literally smokes 2-3 a day.

rack04
01-19-2010, 09:46 AM
I really enjoy Little Havana Overruns (http://www.holts.com/category.html?id=201800&trail=86665).

Kreth
01-19-2010, 09:47 AM
my neighbor swears by the flor de oliva maduro bundles. he is retired and literally smokes 2-3 a day.
The corojo are pretty good too.
Posted via Mobile Device

ripper
01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
chiming in yet again here with a report back on my bundle of RP X-Out Liga D robustos (Decade blend)

FLAT OUT ASTONISHINGLY GREAT cigar in every way. Perfect draw and burn, no touch ups needed, and the flavor was right on too... loads of dark earthy semi sweet leathery cocoa action. I can see why people pay full shot for this blend, and truth be told I would too.... that is if CI weren't selling them unbanded for MUCH less.

Which, yet again this begs to me state, I have yet to have a single bad draw on ANY RP factory select, 2nd, or XOUT yet. And I hate, I mean hate an even less than perfect draw.

Rant off....again.
Totally, irrevocably agree with Mr Duckmanco.
RP seconds are my everyday smokes, esp. in winter when it can get soggy and breezy here in the harbor. I smoke RP seconds throughout winter, and hand out the No. 1 cigars as gifts and bombs.
The RP Classic 2nds maduros from Famous Smoke are Rocky Patel The Edge seconds in a scrumptious Costa Rican maduro wrapper.
For the young 'uns, here is a guide to the X-Outs from CI:
Rocky Patel Liga X-Outs:
A: Edge
B: Sun-Grown
C: Old World Reserve
D: Decade
E: Indian Tabac Super Fuerte

barbourjay
01-19-2010, 06:02 PM
for just a hair above 50$ per bundle the flor de ybor city sungrowns area always good with some age to them.

Starscream
01-21-2010, 07:17 AM
Right there is the attraction :tu

I bid several times a month on many seconds on c-bid. My high bid is always less than $1 each with shipping. I loose 99% of the time but when I win, I get quality cigars that get rested for at least 6 months or longer and make excellent daily smokes. I smoke 2-3 a day while working and often set them down, get distracted or dropped. No problem when they are lass than a buck ;)

Chas
:tpd:
JR's has them... take this for what its worth.. but ive read somewhere in the past that the consuegas are punch seconds..Some are Punch seconds, some are not. There are many, many different types of Consuegras.

The Honduran ones been acknowledged by a long time by JR to be seconds, overrruns, etc from (General Cigar's?) Villazon factory. They could be HyM, Punch, Excalibur, Belinda, others... There are now also Dominican Consuegras that I haven't heard the source of.
:tpd: I think Tobii said he had a database as to what Consuesgra was what. This would be great to see.