PDA

View Full Version : My brother is a putz, part II

forgop
12-02-2009, 10:09 AM
So, last summer, my brother takes his 7 year old daughter and wife on a trip to Disney. He opted for some $25/night hotel in order to justify his 1 hour flight on an old military plane to the tune of $800 rather than spending more money to stay at a Disney hotel.

He's talking about going in another year with just him and his wife. I offered to rent him points from my Disney vacation club to give him deluxe accomodations at the same rate as staying in a value resort. He's talking like he's going to rent a car, drive 15 hours each way, and stay at the cheapo $25/night hotel rather than spending a whopping $800 for a deluxe room for the week. Really sad considering he has enough money to pay cash for a $350k house that he's going to have built next year.

I don't know how his wife tolerates it. [/RANT]

marge796
12-02-2009, 10:20 AM
:tf

kaisersozei
12-02-2009, 10:30 AM
I don't get it. Should I have read "My brother is a putz, part I" first?

landhoney
12-02-2009, 10:32 AM
I don't get it. Should I have read "My brother is a putz, part I" first?

It's a "slice of life" story, you don't get it...it gets you. ;)

And no, my post does not make sense.

Skywalker
12-02-2009, 11:33 AM
Is your brother my father?

Are you my Uncle???:confused:

GTsetGO
12-02-2009, 11:36 AM
maybe the fact that he pays for the dirt cheap hotel and is frugal is the reason that he is able to pay cash for a 350k house. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

those are my thoughts. and i wish i could be that frugal. :D

mosesbotbol
12-02-2009, 11:58 AM
People find value in different things. I know a few landlords who could write you an 8 digit check yet look like they're homeless and drive Olds from mid 80's.

yourchoice
12-02-2009, 12:00 PM
maybe the fact that he pays for the dirt cheap hotel and is frugal is the reason that he is able to pay cash for a 350k house.

:tpd:

Your brother and I have a lot of the same tendencies. Why spend a bunch of money on a hotel where you will hardly be? As long as it's clean and the beds are reasonably comfortable, it sounds like a fine plan to me. :tu

Cigary
12-02-2009, 12:03 PM
I'd say it's his money and he can spend it however he wants even if you don't agree with it. There are lots of things I wouldn't do but that's me. If the guy can pay off a $350K house he's doing something right in my book.

TheRiddick
12-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Did he calculate how much money he will spend on gas? Driving that long a distance will probably cost him $500-600 at the least? If not more.

Blueface
12-02-2009, 12:42 PM
maybe the fact that he pays for the dirt cheap hotel and is frugal is the reason that he is able to pay cash for a 350k house.

Yup.
....and maybe that is why I have yet to ever be able to consider that.
I will die broke.

Tio Gato
12-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Your brother is a putz? My brother lives 20 miles from my parents. Yet I'm the son that drives 250 miles round trip to take them to the doctor!
There's an old saying, "you can pick your nose but you can't pick your family!":mad:

Darrell
12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
Is this real life? :r

forgop
12-02-2009, 04:20 PM
maybe the fact that he pays for the dirt cheap hotel and is frugal is the reason that he is able to pay cash for a 350k house. http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/images/smilies/dunno.gif

those are my thoughts. and i wish i could be that frugal. :D

No-both of us got nice inheritances that have provided for us. It's just a matter that when it comes to spending money for a Harley or guns, money is no object, but will opt for the $25 room at the expense of depriving his wife.

GTsetGO
12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
ah ha.

forgop
12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
I'd say it's his money and he can spend it however he wants even if you don't agree with it. There are lots of things I wouldn't do but that's me. If the guy can pay off a $350K house he's doing something right in my book.

He's not paying for it because he earned it through his own accord. All I'm saying is to live a little and the additional experience over the course of a lifetime when you can afford it are worth it compared to traveling like the grinch.

replicant_argent
12-02-2009, 04:35 PM
I think I should refrain from stating what appears to me to be fairly obvious.
Let your brother do whatever he wants, and perhaps he will afford you the same. It sounds like reality may be a hot commodity you might invest in for the sake of his/your family.

mhailey
12-02-2009, 04:52 PM
the Disney Resorts have many more benefits than simply a nicer place to say. They provide round trip transportation from the airport to the hotel. Will deliver your luggage from the airport, right to your room. You are provided free cab rides (gratuity included) from a disney resort to the Disney golf courses. The parks open earlier, and stay open later for those staying in a disney resort. free round trip transportation from the resort to the park of your choice. Use your room key as your credit card for purchases at the resorts. They will deliver your resort purchases from the resort to your room so you don't have to walk around with all of the bags from your "can't live without" nick nacks. etc... .

Staying in the resort hotels is the only way to go in my opinion.

When you factor in the cost of renting a car, gas, parking fees, and the hassles of not staing in the resort hotels, the cost is almost break even. Plus, staying the disney resorts, you can get on the Disney Meal Plan, which saves a ton of $ on food.

Skywalker
12-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Is this real life? :r

:r