PDA

View Full Version : iPhone 3GS Black Friday deal

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 11:50 AM
On AT&T's website, you can pick up a refurbished iPhone 3GS for $49. Best part is: 1-year warranty, and you can still extend it with AppleCare. If you were looking to get one, don't miss this.

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 11:52 AM
And don't quote me on this, but if you live in one of those states where cell phones are taxed on the full price, it appears that tax is based on $199.

safariguy
11-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Holy crap. Can you delay activation? My wife's phone contract will be up in January so she could keep the same number.

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Holy crap. Can you delay activation? My wife's phone contract will be up in January so she could keep the same number.

Is her contract up in January or is she eligible for upgrade in January? Because you are eligible for an upgrade 3 months before your contract expires. If it's actually up then, you should be eligible now.

As far as delaying activation? Yes and no: if you order it and don't call in to activate it, then yes, her old phone would not be shut off until you call.

Get a hold of her phone and dial *NEW#, followed by "call". It will send her phone a free SMS telling you if she's ready.

safariguy
11-27-2009, 12:25 PM
Is her contract up in January or is she eligible for upgrade in January? Because you are eligible for an upgrade 3 months before your contract expires. If it's actually up then, you should be eligible now.

As far as delaying activation? Yes and no: if you order it and don't call in to activate it, then yes, her old phone would not be shut off until you call.

Get a hold of her phone and dial *NEW#, followed by "call". It will send her phone a free SMS telling you if she's ready.

;s Sorry I should have been more clear. Her/our current phone is with a different carrier Sprint/Nextel. I am trying to figure out a way to keep the same phone number.

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 12:34 PM
;s Sorry I should have been more clear. Her/our current phone is with a different carrier Sprint/Nextel. I am trying to figure out a way to keep the same phone number.

Here's my idea:

Activate a new line with AT&T through the website and get the iPhone. When your contract expires with Sprint, you can change the phone number on your AT&T line to the number from Sprint for $18.

Price of two months service AT&T while still paying Sprint: $120. Savings on the iPhone if you get it today: $150.

On the other hand, rumor in my store has it that the $49 price will continue through Christmas, but only with new activations (which you are doing). So you might even be able to hold out until closer to Christmas.

Alternatively, your ETF with Sprint should be something like $65 at this point. Might still be worth considering with the extra savings. :2

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 12:38 PM
I'd like to make a little disclaimer: I work for AT&T (which is how I discovered this deal) but I make no profit for letting you guys know. On the contrary, I lose money for every customer who buys a phone online.

Sauer Grapes
11-27-2009, 12:46 PM
They also have the 32 GB version (refurb) for $149. Wife and I just upgraded ours today with this deal. We're hoping to sell our 2G iPhones on craigslist to some Tmobile customers and offset most of the cost (if not all). The only bummer is the increased service cost, but it looks like we are getting my discount on the iPhone service plan, which I did not expect and will believe it when I get my first bill.

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 02:51 PM
They also have the 32 GB version (refurb) for $149. Wife and I just upgraded ours today with this deal. We're hoping to sell our 2G iPhones on craigslist to some Tmobile customers and offset most of the cost (if not all). The only bummer is the increased service cost, but it looks like we are getting my discount on the iPhone service plan, which I did not expect and will believe it when I get my first bill.

You absolutely will on the primary line. You won't on the secondary, though.

King James
11-27-2009, 02:53 PM
that is an awesome deal, just wish iPhone was on verizon :-/

poriggity
11-27-2009, 02:58 PM
This deal does not appear to be available anymore. :( I was gonna jump and upgrade my 2g- 3gs, but won't now.

safariguy
11-27-2009, 03:17 PM
I just pulled the trigger on the 32 for 149. My wife is going to be surprised! Thanks so much for the referal.

Footbag
11-27-2009, 03:47 PM
Just ordered one for my wife. I did notice the data plan and text message plans have increased in price from $20 unlimited to $35 for 200 texts. I'm surprised at how much AT&T has been able to charge. I'd like to see Verizon get it just for the sake of competition.

Footbag
11-27-2009, 03:54 PM
This deal does not appear to be available anymore. :( I was gonna jump and upgrade my 2g- 3gs, but won't now.

I'm still seeing it... And my brother-in-law has one in his cart right now.

Sauer Grapes
11-27-2009, 06:05 PM
You absolutely will on the primary line. You won't on the secondary, though.

Neither are actually my primary line. I have my dads phone also through my account and I put him as primary since it is not an iPhone. That way the bulk of the family plan is discounted. Neither iPhone line has had any discount, which is why I was surprised it was showing iPhone plan as 25.50 with the upgrade. Like I said, I'll beleive it when I see it in a bill. Will be a nice surprse if it does happen though.

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 06:52 PM
Just ordered one for my wife. I did notice the data plan and text message plans have increased in price from $20 unlimited to $35 for 200 texts. I'm surprised at how much AT&T has been able to charge. I'd like to see Verizon get it just for the sake of competition.

Actually, 30 dollar data and 5 dollar 200 texts is in line with VZW. The 20 dollar plan was for the original iPhone, and was because you didn't get a discount on the phone. Everything else (Blackberry and WinMo) was 30 for data.

Regardless, T-Mobile kicks everyone to the curb. :r

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 06:54 PM
Neither are actually my primary line. I have my dads phone also through my account and I put him as primary since it is not an iPhone. That way the bulk of the family plan is discounted. Neither iPhone line has had any discount, which is why I was surprised it was showing iPhone plan as 25.50 with the upgrade. Like I said, I'll beleive it when I see it in a bill. Will be a nice surprse if it does happen though.

Who's your employer? There are a couple that will discount iPhone data (Kaiser, Coca-Cola, Post Office, etc.)

BC-Axeman
11-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I wish AT&T worked in my area. As it is, I have to use the "V" guys.

Scothew
11-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Any discounts I could do on upgrading my phone? my contract is up on 3/3/10. I guess im stuck with the $249 correct?

Scottastic
11-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Any discounts I could do on upgrading my phone? my contract is up on 3/3/10. I guess im stuck with the $249 correct?

You can upgrade on 12/4/09. :tu

Scothew
11-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Doesnt help me with the whole great buy on a 3gs now though :p

Thanks for all the advice you've given. Its really helpful having someone with insightful knowledge on things.

Sauer Grapes
11-27-2009, 10:26 PM

If he happens to have a 2G iPhone, he'd be eligible to upgrade to a 3GS now. They said I was eligible since I never upgraded to the 3G, and they moved up 2G owners' upgrade eligibility to allow them to upgrade.

Scothew
11-27-2009, 10:49 PM

Acctually when I login to cingular, it says im eligible for an upgrade on 3/3/10.. does that date take into account the 3 month grace period your talking about or no? If I can upgrade on 12/4 that works perfectly cause I can upgrade my wife and myself both at the same time.

I dont currently have an iphone. I have a samsung epix that I wanna sell afterwards.

Resipsa
11-28-2009, 05:27 AM
I'm not as familiar with how the upgrades work as you obviously, but I had a BB and upgraded to an Iphone in June, which was when my contract was due to expire. I originally had a BB and could have upgraded in December, 6 months before the contract was due to expire, according to both the website and what I was told in store. Are you sure it's three months before and not six?

Scottastic
11-29-2009, 12:33 PM
I'm not as familiar with how the upgrades work as you obviously, but I had a BB and upgraded to an Iphone in June, which was when my contract was due to expire. I originally had a BB and could have upgraded in December, 6 months before the contract was due to expire, according to both the website and what I was told in store. Are you sure it's three months before and not six?

Three months is the general rule, though if you pay more than $100/month you get it six month early, over $125 gets it one year early!

This also includes if it's a family account: the primary line gets charged for all the minutes and family text, so it's often eligible every year.

Scottastic
11-29-2009, 12:34 PM
Acctually when I login to cingular, it says im eligible for an upgrade on 3/3/10.. does that date take into account the 3 month grace period your talking about or no? If I can upgrade on 12/4 that works perfectly cause I can upgrade my wife and myself both at the same time.

I dont currently have an iphone. I have a samsung epix that I wanna sell afterwards.

It does. Your contract probably expires 6/2/10.

safariguy
11-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Wow! I ordered mine on Friday, and it arrived today (Monday) before 10:00 AM. Impressive. Thanks so much for letting us know about this deal, Scott. My wife will be a happy girl come Christmas.

Scothew
11-30-2009, 04:24 PM
It does. Your contract probably expires 6/2/10.

Thats weird because I know I upgraded my phone around march 09 due to work. Why would they go a year and 3 months before i could upgrade?

Scottastic
11-30-2009, 04:59 PM
Thats weird because I know I upgraded my phone around march 09 due to work. Why would they go a year and 3 months before i could upgrade?

As said above...

Three months is the general rule, though if you pay more than $100/month you get it six month early, over $125 gets it one year early!

This also includes if it's a family account: the primary line gets charged for all the minutes and family text, so it's often eligible every year.

So you pay a lot for your line.

safariguy
12-09-2009, 07:18 AM
Wow! I ordered mine on Friday, and it arrived today (Monday) before 10:00 AM. Impressive. Thanks so much for letting us know about this deal, Scott. My wife will be a happy girl come Christmas.

My happiness has turned into anger and bitterness. Yesterday I recieved an invoice for the phone. The phone has not been activated and they said I had up to 28 days to activate it. They even pro-rated it and started charging me daily from the day I ordered it which means they want me to pay for the two days it was in transit to me. This is B.S. I specifically asked them if I could wait until Christmas to activate it because it was a present and the CSR said yes. :mad: So now I am supposed to pay this bill on a phone that is not even activated sitting under the tree???? I think not. By the way, I in no way am holding a grudge against Scott becuase this is AT&T's fault not his.

Sauer Grapes
12-09-2009, 08:17 AM
Ours were christmas gifts as well, but we were planning on activating them after receiving them. Got them last wednesday but couldn't activate them yet since I had plans that evening. Well, while I was out that evening AT&T took it upon themselves to shut off our old phones since the new ones were delivered. That means my wife and me were away, not near each other, without any phone service whatsoever since our old phones weren't working and now had no signal.

Scothew
12-09-2009, 08:59 AM
As said above...

So you pay a lot for your line.

Ok that makes more sense, plus I figured out I did a two year contract on my phone. So I got mine in 3/3/09 and its a family plan (over $125) so thats why it says mine is eligible on 3/3/10. And yes mine is hte primary line. Guess i'll be upgrading to an iphone in March.

Thanks Scott!

Scottastic
12-23-2009, 01:20 PM
My happiness has turned into anger and bitterness. Yesterday I recieved an invoice for the phone. The phone has not been activated and they said I had up to 28 days to activate it. They even pro-rated it and started charging me daily from the day I ordered it which means they want me to pay for the two days it was in transit to me. This is B.S. I specifically asked them if I could wait until Christmas to activate it because it was a present and the CSR said yes. :mad: So now I am supposed to pay this bill on a phone that is not even activated sitting under the tree???? I think not. By the way, I in no way am holding a grudge against Scott becuase this is AT&T's fault not his.

After it's activated and you get that prorated bill, email me. I'll PM you the address and I'll see if I can't take care of it for ya.

To be honest, Customer Care will probably do the same once the bill arrives, but I can do it quicker.