PDA

View Full Version : Padilla Obsidian Belicoso

Kreth
11-25-2009, 05:41 PM
Got this stick in a bomb.

Humidor time: 1 month

Prelight: Nice construction, oily wrapper, and pretty heavy in the hand. Prelight draw is a little tight, tasting of bittersweet chocolate.

Burn: This stick would not burn straight. It seemed like I was touching it up every 5 minutes. If it hadn't tasted so good, I probably would have pitched it.

Flavor: Flavor was excellent, mainly bittersweet chocolate with a hint of coffee, and a nice amount of spice on the finish.

Summary: I just got a couple more of these in a sampler, but I'll be watching cbid for a deal on them in the meantime. A month at 60-65% didn't seem to help the burn on this stick, but they taste so good I'll live with the touchups.
Posted via Mobile Device

tenbaseg
11-25-2009, 05:59 PM
From my experience these need a while in the humi. I had my first one not long after I got it and it was horrible. I made a comment at a herf about not liking them and was given one with 6+ months of rest. It was a completely different smoke, and a lot better.

Kreth
11-25-2009, 06:20 PM
From my experience these need a while in the humi. I had my first one not long after I got it and it was horrible. I made a comment at a herf about not liking them and was given one with 6+ months of rest. It was a completely different smoke, and a lot better.
Thanks for the tip. I'll bury the ones I just got in the bottom of my tupperdor and see if I can forget about them for a while. Did the flavor profile change much?
Posted via Mobile Device

Volt
11-25-2009, 06:30 PM
hmmm just got a few in some Padilla samplers off cbid. I'll store them deep for a bit. thanks for the heads up.

kelmac07
11-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Gotta agree...these are damn tasty with some age on them!! :tu

borndead1
11-25-2009, 07:10 PM
Delicious but fireproof.

roughrider
11-25-2009, 07:53 PM
I personally like the Habano better. Thanks for the review.

Ratters
11-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Had on last night. I've smoked a ton of these though not in awhile. I would buy bundles off cbid and bury them for at least six months. They are unsmokeable before that. But then they turn into a great value smoke. Some of my older ones I've actually smoked all the way without a touchup. :ss

Tarks
11-25-2009, 10:04 PM
I got 1 resting in the humi. Looking forward to firing it up.

Ratters
11-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Here was my take on the stick:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5766&highlight=Obsidian

Kreth
11-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Here was my take on the stick:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=5766&highlight=Obsidian
I actually ran across this on Stogie Review when I did some Googling to see if the burn issues were a common problem. Nice review. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

poriggity
11-27-2009, 01:34 PM
I really gotta grab some of these and stick them deep in the humi.. problem is I am out of room LOL! Oh well.. I guess I could FIND more room somehow.
Scott

billybarue
11-28-2009, 09:52 AM
If anybody remembers them I have about 15 of the original Obsidian toros that came out in 06 I believe. Very very good stick.

The current ones (belicoso) do need about 6 months downtime and, as has already been said, good value stick at that point.

Starscream
11-28-2009, 07:24 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll bury the ones I just got in the bottom of my tupperdor and see if I can forget about them for a while. Did the flavor profile change much?
Posted via Mobile Device

Flavor profile doesn't change much IMHO, but don't touch them for at least a year. Flavor is nice, but the burn on these are horrible.

eboniknight
12-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Have had a few of these in the past and always had burn issues.....even after some months in the humidor. Flavor wise these are not bad sticks.

dccraft
12-01-2009, 07:35 PM
I've had just a couple of these and your flavor description is right on the mark. I just don't recall if I had any burn issues with these. All in all, a very nice stick in my book.:ss

JohnnyKay5
12-01-2009, 08:06 PM
Just had one today... tastey

T.G
12-01-2009, 08:21 PM
If anybody remembers them I have about 15 of the original Obsidian toros that came out in 06 I believe. Very very good stick.

The current ones (belicoso) do need about 6 months downtime and, as has already been said, good value stick at that point.

The originals were quite good...

Kreth
02-26-2010, 05:24 PM
So it only took me 3 months to forget about this thread and fire up another Obsidian beli. Burn was much better this time, only needed one touch-up, and was reasonably straight from then on. A slight flavor difference too, got a bit of charred oak on the finish in the last third, which went nicely with the chocolate and coffee.
I need to pick up a bundle of these and bury them in the cooler, after I get my box of Diesels, of course. :ss
Posted via Mobile Device

G G
02-26-2010, 05:34 PM
I've had just a couple of these and your flavor description is right on the mark. I just don't recall if I had any burn issues with these. All in all, a very nice stick in my book.:ss

My experience exactly.:tu

Uflbassin
02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm surprised longknocker hasn't commented on this yet, he loves these sticks. I got one in a bomb from him, and your flavor description was dead on. Really enjoyed these sticks, and will most likely be picking up a fiver before long.:tu