PDA

View Full Version : Self-Roasting Coffee

OHRD
11-20-2009, 06:17 AM
I've been a coffee drinker for some 15 years or so and it never occurred to me until last week to self-roast. I've seen sites selling combos w/ a roaster and green beans but I'm not sure what to get. I am also currently using a blade grinder and I've been told the grinder makes all the difference in the world, and to invest in a Burr.

Any suggestions from some self-roasters out here in the Asylum???

Mister Moo
11-20-2009, 09:34 AM
Yeah. Do it. Live the dream. :banger

What's your budget and what is your tinker-factor? There are $5.00 ways to play and there are $500 ways to play.

kenstogie
11-20-2009, 09:42 AM
Here is thread that in which I roast coffee with a Popcorn Popper. It works pretty good I think.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21573

OHRD
11-20-2009, 10:11 AM
With Christmas coming up, I can afford to spend about $200 for both a burr grinder and a roaster...

Savor the Stick
11-20-2009, 10:39 AM
Matt,
I would say build your own I had a whirley pop then went right out and built a roaster like this one.

I'll give you a link where I got info. http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/index.php?topic=5033.0
I really would like to encourage you to jump in with both feet...it is some great coffee.

God Bless you,
K

Matt you can build this for under $100.
For grinder, I will let others answer...I have a Capresso infinity burr grinder which meets my needs at the moment. :ss

ashtonlady
11-20-2009, 02:33 PM
I also agree that Capresso makes a great grinder if you are just starting. Fresh Roast 8 from Sweet marias is a good place to start for under 100.

floydpink
11-20-2009, 04:46 PM
I also agree that Capresso makes a great grinder if you are just starting. Fresh Roast 8 from Sweet marias is a good place to start for under 100.

Agreed from an upgrade hungry Freshroast owner, but it really does a great job.

100 bucks gets you the machine and 4 pounds of green bean samples with instructions how to roast them.

I'll keep my opinions reserved about the grinder as I made plenty of mistakes along the way.
(hint; save up 500 beans and get a Macap M4 stepless and never look back)

I have a smug feeling of satisfaction as I am reading this and enjoying a very nice latte made with Brasil Santos roasted full city.

Wanger
11-24-2009, 04:05 PM
We got a good grinder this summer, and I just got my wife a Behmor for our anniversary. It showed up yesterday, and we're looking forward to starting roasting hopefully this weekend. :) I'll definitely be spending more time in the coffee forum from now on. :)

Mister Moo
11-25-2009, 09:39 AM
We got a good grinder this summer, and I just got my wife a Behmor for our anniversary. It showed up yesterday, and we're looking forward to starting roasting hopefully this weekend. :) I'll definitely be spending more time in the coffee forum from now on. :)You gonna love the coffee, Wangs.

ashtonlady
11-25-2009, 12:08 PM
I Just read the title of this thread again. I didnt know that coffee could be self roasting. :)

kenstogie
11-25-2009, 05:33 PM
We got a good grinder this summer, and I just got my wife a Behmor for our anniversary. It showed up yesterday, and we're looking forward to starting roasting hopefully this weekend. :) I'll definitely be spending more time in the coffee forum from now on. :)

I just have the bare minimums for roasting but its still hard to go back to "regular" coffee.

germantown rob
11-26-2009, 04:34 AM
I Just read the title of this thread again. I didnt know that coffee could be self roasting. :)

I am not sure "home roasting" is much better, I would never have that panic of running out if my home actually roasted the coffee for me. :r