PDA

View Full Version : Cigar a Month Clubs

lopro
11-18-2009, 05:29 PM
Do any of you partake in these clubs? Are they worth it? Or do you just prefer to spend that money on cigars you know YOU want to try? I'm new to this game and I want to try everything... I'm not sure if this is the best way though.

Let's hear some experiences on them...

(I did a quick search for a topic -- as I'm sure there is already one -- and found nothing. If there is a thread, you can simply link it here and I'll diligently read through it ;) )

LMP

Kreth
11-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Good topic. I was wondering about this when I was looking through the new CI catalog today.
Posted via Mobile Device

kelmac07
11-18-2009, 05:34 PM
My personal experience is to visit your B&Ms and grab a few different sticks each time. I keep a list of sticks I want to try and take it from there. Stay away from Thompsons Cigar Club...you will receive sticks that you do not want to smoke and get charged more money than they are worth (I was a noob once...LOL!!). Join the Newbie Sampler Trade II, participate in PIFs/MAWs, etc. These trades with other members is a great way to try new sticks. Enjoy the BOTLs/SOTLs and have fun. :tu

Smokin Gator
11-18-2009, 05:35 PM
I think you would be much better off looking around here in the WTS area. Most of the stuff I have seen in those cigar of the month deals are either brands or sizes I don't care for.

Another great way is to get involved in the Newbie Sampler Trade (shameless plug).

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14254

It is a great way to try some different sticks, get some trader feedback, and just have fun in general.

14holestogie
11-18-2009, 05:37 PM
No real experience with the cigar of the month clubs, but I would bet for every pearl they send, you'll get more swine.

NST is the way to go. :tu

We love the n00bs. ;)

akumushi
11-18-2009, 05:39 PM
For the money, you don't seem to get many cigars. I think keeping it in the asylum, doing PIFs, blind taste tests etc is a cheaper and far more entertaining way of trying cigars you otherwise might not buy, and that way you're spreading the love on the forum, networking with some awesome BOTLs and getting a better bang for your buck.:2

lopro
11-18-2009, 05:59 PM
I'll have to check out this NST thing

Thanks for the replies. I kinda thought everything you guys said... just wanted to know for sure.

massphatness
11-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Another great way is to get involved in the Newbie Sampler Trade (shameless plug).

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=14254

It is a great way to try some different sticks, get some trader feedback, and just have fun in general.

:tpd: The COTM Clubs seem like a good idea at first, but you'll come to find they're a little overpriced.

Namerifrats
11-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Always remember, these guys are out to turn a profit. They might send you a good stick or two, but you'll get scraps too. They are going to make some money one way or another. They are not doing it as a friendly gesture like you get with members of a forum or such.

bobarian
11-18-2009, 06:51 PM
Most COM clubs are centered around House blends. If that's what you are seeking to sample then fine, but if you are looking for more name brand stuff then cigarbid, cigarmonster or joecigar fivers are a better value. Also, after a few fivers you will have a nice selection to trade and PIF here. :tu

neoflex
11-18-2009, 07:06 PM
I'm with most here and when I was a newer smoker I even considered it. I think the novelty of just getting an unknown package(cigars) in the mail every month attracted me. Than I figured that they probably unload the crap that's not selling off on the club members. I could be wrong as I am a pessimist by nature anyway, but I figured if I was budgeting X amount of dollars a month on a club I would much rather take that same budget and head down to the local and pick out what I wanted to try rather than hope I didn't get a load of dog rockets sent to me every month.

lopro
11-19-2009, 12:12 AM
maybe I'm blind... but, is there a WTS sub-forum here? I see the "retailers section" and the "bombs" section... but I don't see a straight "User Sales" section...

Namerifrats
11-19-2009, 12:33 AM
Stay away from Thompsons Cigar Club...you will receive sticks that you do not want to smoke and get charged more money than they are worth (I was a noob once...LOL!!).

I think everybody has done the Thompson thing when they were a noob. I know I did, ordered one of their Humidors with 20 "Premium House Brands". :pu
Smoked 2 of the sticks, gave the rest away. Kept the humidor.

akumushi
11-19-2009, 12:35 AM
maybe I'm blind... but, is there a WTS sub-forum here? I see the "retailers section" and the "bombs" section... but I don't see a straight "User Sales" section...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the buy/sell, pif, and trade areas of this forum only open after you've been active for a certain amount of time. The MODs did that to protect our B/SOTLs from scammers and spammers. Have a little patience and stick with the asylum and those doors will open to you!

Cigary
11-19-2009, 05:12 AM
I did a club a few years ago and thought it was a good idea except as noted they always wanted to send me "their" cigars and a few good ones. I wanted to try others and quickly cancelled on the "club" and pick what I like and don't have to worry about getting sub par cigars. There are too many places where you can buy your cigars and not have to worry about getting caught up in a pay for smokes deal.

Volt
11-19-2009, 05:22 AM
Do any of you partake in these clubs? Are they worth it? Or do you just prefer to spend that money on cigars you know YOU want to try? I'm new to this game and I want to try everything... I'm not sure if this is the best way though.

Let's hear some experiences on them...

(I did a quick search for a topic -- as I'm sure there is already one -- and found nothing. If there is a thread, you can simply link it here and I'll diligently read through it ;) )

LMP

Tell ya what, see if this appeals to you. PM me your addy. I'll send you 5 sticks. In return you send 5 sticks to Fred (Macms) as donations to the troops. You get 5 probrably new sticks to you, and the troops make out as well. Once Fred gets them, I'll bump your trade count. :ss

14holestogie
11-19-2009, 07:31 AM
Tell ya what, see if this appeals to you. PM me your addy. I'll send you 5 sticks. In return you send 5 sticks to Fred (Macms) as donations to the troops. You get 5 probrably new sticks to you, and the troops make out as well. Once Fred gets them, I'll bump your trade count. :ss

Nicely done, Michael. :tu

lopro
11-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but some of the buy/sell, pif, and trade areas of this forum only open after you've been active for a certain amount of time. The MODs did that to protect our B/SOTLs from scammers and spammers. Have a little patience and stick with the asylum and those doors will open to you!

Makes sense.... patience is a virtue.

since I can't quote twice

to Volt:
will this negate my ability to enter in the NST? If not, sure, I'm down I'll give it a shot. Does it matter if I send more than one of the same stick (I have multiples of only: MoW:R and Nub:Connie -- though, i'd throw some of my singles in too to mix it up...)
and THANK YOU very much for the offer ;)
( I'm starting to love this place -- and hate it because it's going to make me spend more money on cigars :ss)

kayaker
11-19-2009, 09:27 AM

Use the multi quote option. :D

Volt
11-19-2009, 09:39 AM
What ever works best for you, send what ever 5 you want to the troops, PM Fred for his mailing address. Shoot me your address and I'll get your fiver headed to you. As to the NST, I never messed with it much, too many rules for me, but good for others. I think as long as your trade count is 3 or less IIRC your ok in the NST. I'm pretty sure the rules are posted at the top of that thread though.Makes sense.... patience is a virtue.

to Volt:
will this negate my ability to enter in the NST? If not, sure, I'm down I'll give it a shot. Does it matter if I send more than one of the same stick (I have multiples of only: MoW:R and Nub:Connie -- though, i'd throw some of my singles in too to mix it up...)
( I'm starting to love this place -- and hate it because it's going to make me spend more money on cigars :ss)

mariogolbee
11-19-2009, 09:39 AM

to Volt:
This will not negate your ability to participate in the NST II. Also, according to the NST II rules you're only allowed to send up to five smokes with a certain value as a 1st and 2nd timer so don't trip. Go to the thread link that Smokin Gator has supplied you with and read the rules. Good luck with everything and have fun.

lopro
11-19-2009, 09:41 AM
Yeah, the rules are scary.. alright PM on its way

14holestogie
11-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Yeah, the rules are scary.. alright PM on its way

...and the rules are merely suggestions to many of us. ;) :D

fyrftr
11-19-2009, 01:20 PM

My eyes were just opened :eek: It'll be worth the wait...lots to learn in the meantime. :D

to Volt:

I hear that, It's a love hate relationship :l but it is really cutting into my ammo budget!

Tim L.