PDA

View Full Version : What kind of cutter/punch do you use?

kayaker
11-17-2009, 08:04 AM
I've searched through the Accessory threads for discussions on cutters and ones on Xikar vs Palio or using punches. I think there was even a thread about using knives to remove the caps.

So here is the question stated another way: How do you prep the end of your cigar?
And the follow questions: Do you prefer a particular brand name tool or have you found a generic one that works? Do you prefer cutter or punch or V notch or pocket knife?

I'll start. My first cutter was just a generic cheapie one and it worked pretty well. I bought a Cigar Star one online and it was useless. The blades were loose and dull. Finally I received a Palio from SilverFox in my first NST. It has always worked perfectly for me. I haven't had the opportunity to try any others.

I have used a punch on a few occasions, but generally prefer a cut. I have had to use a knife once or twice, but still prefer a cutter.

I have never used a V Notch or scissors.

Don Fernando
11-17-2009, 08:06 AM
I prefer to punch, otherwise I cut with the Palio that Mark (Conch Republican) gifted me.

kelmac07
11-17-2009, 08:09 AM
I used to punch all my sticks. Now I use my Palio and clip it!! :tu

kayaker
11-17-2009, 08:12 AM
I prefer to punch, otherwise I cut with the Palio that Mark (Conch Republican) gifted me.

Why? Just curious.

TheTraveler
11-17-2009, 08:20 AM

Why? Just curious.

I prefer a punch as well when the cigar is within the "right" ring guage zone for me, otherwise I'll cut it with a double-blade guillotine.

I currently use a cheapo $2 punch that's easily replaced and also a $3 cheapo guillotine. The problem is that, though easily replaced, they are OFTEN replaced. :r I'll be getting a better quality punch and cutter ASAP.

I prefer the punch cut because in my opinion it preserves the integrity of the structure of the cap and head of the cigar more than any other cut. The problems I've run into are that too small RG cigars are difficult to punch, too large RG cigars won't smoke as well (for me) when punched, and cigars with delicate, fragile or dry wrappers crack to hell and gone when my paws get a hold of them and try to punch. In all those cases I'll use the cutter instead.

Titan410
11-17-2009, 08:30 AM
I started with a cheap guillotine, then bought a Xikar and then a Palio.
I also tried a punch once when I first started with cigars but had difficulty with the draw and have been using either the Xikar or Palio exclusively.
I recently tried (an inexpensive) punch again and now use it on occasion when I am smoking something other than a torpedo, which are my favorite vitola.

kayaker
I prefer the punch cut because in my opinion it preserves the integrity of the structure of the cap and head of the cigar more than any other cut. The problems I've run into are that too small RG cigars are difficult to punch, too large RG cigars won't smoke as well (for me) when punched, and cigars with delicate, fragile or dry wrappers crack to hell and gone when my paws get a hold of them and try to punch. In all those cases I'll use the cutter instead.

Cool. Thanks for the info.:tu

mariogolbee
I prefer a punch as well when the cigar is within the "right" ring guage zone for me, otherwise I'll cut it with a double-blade guillotine.

Ditto on the punch. I received the one I currently use from Smokin Gator through the NST II. My first cutter was a cheap plastic Macanudo single blade which worked but sucked. My next was a double guillotine ss cutter from China via Ebay that cost like $3 but works great. I am currently using a fiberglass xicar cutter that I got free with a fiver from Monster. The xicar is great. Haven't tried a Palio but I think I'd like to get one in the future.

By the way, I've seen one person use there teeth with some success.

DoctorBJ
11-17-2009, 08:35 AM
Hm.. I have a punch for smaller cigars or sometimes cheaper cigars that don't hold up to cutting as well. Also, I keep the punch with me, so if I find myself smoking a cigar when I wasn't planing to, I'm set.

As for cutters, I have a few cheap metal ones. They seem to work well. I've never tried a Palio. How much are they? Are they worth extra cash?

ZJB
11-17-2009, 08:37 AM
I punch with the bottom of my Xikar Element or if its a torp the Xi1. I prefer the punch seems to stay cleaner and find to get a bit more flavor or maybe that's just in my head, but that's what I do.

Don Fernando
11-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Why? Just curious.

It's harder for me to **** up the cap with a punch then with a cutter :) I also get less tobacco in my mouth and the cigar won't unravel on me.

Kreth
11-17-2009, 08:53 AM
If it's something with a tightly rolled pigtail like the Kristoffs, I'll just bite it off. Otherwise, it's my Palio. I think I paid just under $50 for mine, but they also have a lifetime warranty. I had an issue with the tabs on the rails jamming, and Palio replaced it. So now I'm thinking of getting another one to replace the cheapie Wolf cutter I carry in my golf bag.
Posted via Mobile Device

leasingthisspace
11-17-2009, 09:04 AM
I have cheapies of both a double blade cutter and a punch. I pick which one to use depending on the cigar cap. If I have issues with my cheapies I may look at something better but until then they work for now.
Posted via Mobile Device

SkinsFanLarry
11-17-2009, 09:06 AM
My first choice is my Palio cutter, damn I love that cutter, than comes my Wolf V-Cutter and than my punch (54 and above cigars).

dinder1
11-17-2009, 09:25 AM
I have tried pretty much every cutter out there and now that my stash of Havana Cigar Cutters has run dry (my previous favorite) I use a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cigar Cutter.
For me the Cuban Crafters cutter at $15.00 is a steal! Great clean cut, heavy duty construction, lifetime warranty.

str8edg
11-17-2009, 09:32 AM
I started by using a razor blade, while I waited for my Xikar to be sent.

I used that for a while then Navydoc sent me a Palio cutter and brother I love that cutter.

I see what you guys are saying about a punch and I think I will have to try that out some day. But for now I am all about my Palio!

TripleF
11-17-2009, 09:43 AM
SilverFox turned me on to using a Kershaw Onion assisted opening knife to slice off the a smidgen of the cap. If I don't go that way, I use my Xikar.

kayaker
11-17-2009, 10:03 AM
SilverFox turned me on to using a Kershaw Onion assisted opening knife to slice off the a smidgen of the cap.

In the past I used a knife point to cut a hole in the cap kind of the way a punch would. Today I tried using the blade of a belt knife I have. I rolled the cap over the blade to get through the wrapped, then was able to slice through the binder/filler. It worked pretty good but requires a sharp knife. I think this could also present problems if the stick was dry and brittle.

dccraft
11-17-2009, 10:33 AM
I almost always use a V cutter. Sometimes I put 2 V's on the larger RG smokes. Habit I guess.

BigAsh
11-17-2009, 12:49 PM
was primarily a punch for yeays, mainly because it was built into my lighter (Nice triple soft flame Colibri).....now use my Palio with great success

madwilliamflint
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
I use a punch by default. Cheapy keyring one. It's just fine. With particularly tough wrappers I just twist it and let the blade do the work. If I'm patient (big if) I don't have any problems. I use a plain old double-bladed guillotine for my Mac Mad Ascots and other quickies.

Those guitar pick looking thingies look interesting though, I may make one or two of them (having a surplus of heavy gauge guitar picks to start with.)

Zanaspus
11-17-2009, 02:05 PM
I used to punch all my sticks. Then I bought a Palio....:tu

Kreth
11-17-2009, 02:22 PM
I almost always use a V cutter. Sometimes I put 2 V's on the larger RG smokes. Habit I guess.
Just out of curiosity, having never used a V cutter: do you do two cuts side by side, or at right angles to make an X?
Posted via Mobile Device

dox47
11-17-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a cheapy combo v/guillotine that I usually stick in my pocket, plus a punch on my keyring. Typically I punch larger RG cigars, especially shorter ones like robustos, I feel that the constriction of the punched hole creates a more concentrated flavor and can improve the draw of a loose stick. Also, if the draw is tight after punching, it's no sweat to snip a little more off with the guillotine, ditto the v-cutter for that. I find myself using the V quite often on the longer vitolas in the 50 RG range, I like the way the V-cut preserves the shape of the cap and gives me a little more to hold onto with my teeth from time to time. Also, with a smaller cigar it's fairly easy to make a V-cut and subtly reshape the tip into something resembling the LFD Chisel tip, which I find highly desirable.

md4958
11-17-2009, 02:40 PM
no particular order
Xikar Multi-tool
Palio
Tiffany Punch (that one was a gift)

Smokin Gator
11-17-2009, 03:48 PM
I use a punch most of the time. I have a couple of nice Xikar ones, but I started using the cheap ones with the rubberized sides from Cbid and am hooked. The are sharp and cut a smaller hole than the Xikars. Like Shawn said... it keeps the tobacco bits out of my mouth.

For torps and pigtails I use a Xikar or a Palio depending on which one is closer. The Palio cuts a little cleaner, but I like the Xikar as well.

Namerifrats
11-17-2009, 03:50 PM
I use a cheapy punch cutter on most cigars larger than 54 RG. On torpedos or small RG cigars, I use a guillotine cutter. No name brand that I can see, but seems to work ok. Silver all metal, seen in some of my cigar photos. Maybe I can pick up a nicer cutter in the near future.

14holestogie
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
I use a cheap bullet shaped punch most of the time to keep most of the cap intact.

I also have a Colibri cutter (gifted by my lady) that I reach for because it's convenient when I need to snip the cap off.

Palio burl cutter was my latest aquisition, but that only comes out at herfs and other times the chance of losing it are low. :)

kayaker
11-17-2009, 06:25 PM
Those guitar pick looking thingies look interesting though, I may make one or two of them (having a surplus of heavy gauge guitar picks to start with.)

Not sure what you are talking about. Got a pic or link?

kgoings
11-17-2009, 06:43 PM
In the past I used a punch.

Then I bought a Palio, Fantastic! It doesn't ruin the head of even the most delicate cigars (like the punch has a tendency to do)

Never even SEEN a V cut.

TonySmith
11-17-2009, 06:47 PM
With a smaller rg cigar 44-46 I'll use a cheap punch. Otherwise I use a palio, gifted from Dragonman. The palio is a must for torpedoes. In a pinch I'll use my pocket knife to cut the cap, it takes a sharp knife.

Ranger_B
11-17-2009, 09:23 PM
Palio for me. If for some reason mine isnt around v cut with my knife.

larryinlc
11-17-2009, 09:36 PM
I've used just about everything that can be used to cut a cigar, but I now use the Xikar multi-tool and never looked back. It's a fine tool.

Larry

gettysburgfreak
11-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Palio, probably will never buy a different cutter

Opusfxd
11-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Well I used to use a Palio. But I can't find it now. :( Now I'm back to the quality cheap ones I've come across that have served me well.

sikk50
11-17-2009, 11:52 PM
I use a Xikar Xi2.

I'm going to get myself a Palio someday soon

roughrider
11-18-2009, 01:59 PM
I use the Cuban Crafter cutter & the Xikar 008 Punch. I've been wanting to try the Wolf V-cutter.

http://www.cigaraficionado.com/Cigar/Graphics/toys/toy073107.gif
http://www.xikar.com/images/product/008k.jpg
http://www.xikar.com/images/product/008.jpg

Cigary
11-18-2009, 02:11 PM
I have been a V Cut ( cats eye ) person for over 10 years and have tried every cut out there. I use the Boston V Cutter and for my preference there is none better on the market or a better cut. Yes, you can use a V Cut on a torpedo and any shape foot as long as the cutter isn't up against a 60 RG cigar. It's all about preference and if you are going to use a V Cut I strongly suggest a cats eye cut instead of the regular V Cut,,,again there is a difference here.

RightAJ
11-18-2009, 02:18 PM
My trusty Xikar or the more recent Palio (from SmokeyJoe)... both work awesome!

Never liked the V cut and not a fan of the punch either. I like classic stuff

aj

Bubba - NJ
11-18-2009, 03:04 PM
I use my Davidoff Zino double blade guillotine cutter that my wife bought for me 15 years ago , roughly . Still works like a champ . And just the other night I thought I would look for one on Ebay , found one that the seller misspelled cigar as "sigar" , got it for $17.50 shipped . Saved about $20 over retail . Now I have one that can travel in my cigar caddy . Wouldn't want to lose the one my wife gave me , sentimental reasons . :ss

T.G
11-18-2009, 03:12 PM
I use a Gransfors Bruks hatchet.

Takes some practice and getting used to, but the looks are priceless.

kayaker
11-18-2009, 06:27 PM
I use a Gransfors Bruks hatchet.

Takes some practice and getting used to, but the looks are priceless.

I'd like to see a picture of that. :D

I have a brand new Gransfors Bruks small forest axe.

kayaker
11-18-2009, 06:35 PM
I buddy of mine gave me this cutter today. I've never seen one like it. 2 sized holes with 2 cutting blades that are connected on one side that acts as a V cutter.

HippoTec is the brand.

Tried his out today on a torp and it cut pretty cleanly. Haven't tried the V cutter yet though.

The blades on mine look a little dull so I figured out how to take it apart so I can try to sharpen it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

T.G
11-18-2009, 08:07 PM
I buddy of mine gave me this cutter today. I've never seen one like it. 2 sized holes with 2 cutting blades that are connected on one side that acts as a V cutter.

HippoTec is the brand.

Tried his out today on a torp and it cut pretty cleanly. Haven't tried the V cutter yet though.

The blades on mine look a little dull so I figured out how to take it apart so I can try to sharpen it.

Has anyone seen anything like this before?

I have seen those before, but for the life of me, I can't remember where.

jmsremax
11-19-2009, 08:17 AM
I have tried pretty much every cutter out there and now that my stash of Havana Cigar Cutters has run dry (my previous favorite) I use a Cuban Crafters Perfect Cigar Cutter.
For me the Cuban Crafters cutter at $15.00 is a steal! Great clean cut, heavy duty construction, lifetime warranty.

which one did you go with? Also, have you tried their punch cutter? I too were looking at these before and was interested in buying them but I didn't. I currently have a few cheapies that I got when I bought cigars through a local shop.

dinder1
11-19-2009, 09:16 AM
which one did you go with? Also, have you tried their punch cutter? I too were looking at these before and was interested in buying them but I didn't. I currently have a few cheapies that I got when I bought cigars through a local shop.

Hey Jon,
I use what Cuba Crafters calls their "Perfect" cutter....and so far it has been pretty close to perfect.

Wanger
11-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I have 3 that I use with regularity. #1 choice is my Palio. #2 is my Xikar scissors (because of the sheath I have for it, and the handiness for nubbing a stick). #3 is my SAK; cuts great, but I just don't use it as much as I used to (before the Palio).

SilverFox
11-19-2009, 09:47 AM
Xikar Punch for every thing that it fits.

Palio for when a cut is needed.

SOG Twitch when none available

slickster81
11-19-2009, 10:24 AM
SOG Twitch?

Shaking Old Guy Twitch? :r:r:r

OK, just funnin' ya.

What is SOG Twitch?

darkninja67
11-19-2009, 10:41 AM
Zino Davidoff is what I use. Has been sharp for close to 15 years.

Anyone have a recommendation on something of good quality for larger gauges??? How thick can the Palios cut??

T.G
11-19-2009, 10:48 AM

Anyone have a recommendation on something of good quality for larger gauges??? How thick can the Palios cut??

Like you, I've been using a Zino for ages, still as sharp as it ever was.

A Palio is my other cutter - I'd say they'll take up to about 54-56 ring.

darkninja67
11-19-2009, 10:49 AM
Like you, I've been using a Zino for ages, still as sharp as it ever was.

Thanks.

Yeah the Zino is rock solid. I put it in my back pocket and never worry about it. Nice and compact too.

T.G
11-19-2009, 10:53 AM
Thanks.

Yeah the Zino is rock solid. I put it in my back pocket and never worry about it. Nice and compact too.

Those are pretty much the reasons I'm still stuck on the Zino. Not that the Palio is bad, it's not, it's a great cutter. But the Zino is more compact, less likely to gum up and it's sharper...

Kreth
11-19-2009, 11:17 AM
I've cut a few 60s with my Palio. Obviously, you can't get down to the shoulder, but I usually want to restrict the draw a bit on something that big anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

SilverFox
11-19-2009, 12:43 PM
SOG Twitch?

Shaking Old Guy Twitch? :r:r:r

OK, just funnin' ya.

What is SOG Twitch?

SOG Twitch :D
http://www.bladehq.com/images/knives/brand/twitchii.jpg

St. Lou Stu
11-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Palio

jmsremax
11-19-2009, 01:13 PM
Hey Jon,
I use what Cuba Crafters calls their "Perfect" cutter....and so far it has been pretty close to perfect.

Thanks for the tip...but unfortunately they are sold out. I will keep my eye on the site for when they come back in stock. The plastic ones I've been using have done the job, but I don't always cut it straight or sometimes cut too much. Time to upgrade.

DPD6030
11-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Xikar xi3
Xikar xi2
Palio Camo
Xikar 009 Punch
and the Xikar MTX multi-tool

Bubba - NJ
11-19-2009, 03:05 PM

My Zino cuts a LGC Serie R #6 perfectly . :tu

WyGuy
11-19-2009, 04:39 PM
My Palio is my go to cutter, have a couple cheapies that I keep in the car and golf bag.

ucla695
11-20-2009, 07:08 AM
For parejos, I use my Palio or Zino to score the wrapper where I want to cut it and then I flip off the cap with my thumb. Works like a charm every time. For figurados, I just clip away.

poker
11-20-2009, 07:20 AM
Palio

marge796
11-20-2009, 07:34 AM
I like my Xikars.

:tu

Chris.....

68TriShield
11-20-2009, 07:49 AM
I have Xikar and Palio but usually use a cheap ass Havana Cutter :)

dinder1
11-20-2009, 07:56 AM
I have Xikar and Palio but usually use a cheap ass Havana Cutter :)

Gotta love those Havana cutters. I sure wish that they still made them.:(

AliBubba
01-07-2010, 01:34 PM
I've got a Cuban Crafter CC-24 Perfecto on Torps and Belli's A punch on others.

I smoke large gauge sticks though so the punch is my primary weapon.

jmsremax
01-07-2010, 01:36 PM
Cuban crafters perfecto cutter.

icehog3
01-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Palio...

landhoney
01-07-2010, 02:41 PM
Palio as well.
But I've used my teeth recently for the first time (especially on a cigar with a pigtail) and it's fun, not one problem either (ie. perfect draw and doesn't unravel or anything). Not something I'll do all the time, or with something like a 1492, but it's fun to do occasionally in my book. :2

Adriftpanda
01-07-2010, 03:12 PM
I have 2 Xikar cutters and a Xikar key chain punch but I can't remember the last time I've used them. Been biting my cigars off for the past year.

MrOneEyedBoh
01-07-2010, 03:56 PM
how does one open it with his teeth? Ive seen this quite a bit.

alley00p
01-07-2010, 04:01 PM
Depends on the RG for me, I punch for 50 and up, cut for smaller RG's...

I tend to use a cheapie punch that I received from Taboo ages ago (when they were givin' away stuff with orders).

I carry both a Palio and Xikar X2, and use whichever happens to be handy. I do like and use the Palio if I need to set a stick down, cuz they are designed to keep your stick in place, while doing something else briefly.

I also use some giveaway steel cutters, that Drew Estates used to give away, but they can't be used for a Torpedo, as they only cut about 1/16" off the end. I call these my "beginner's cutters"... :D

:dance:

Adriftpanda
01-07-2010, 04:15 PM
how does one open it with his teeth? Ive seen this quite a bit.

It takes a bit of practice... you want to nibble around the cap, and once it's loose, pull it off with your teeth. :D

G G
01-07-2010, 04:38 PM
I personally use the cheap ones, just haven't gotten around to buying a good one yet.

Vigiles
01-07-2010, 04:40 PM
I personally use the cheap ones, just haven't gotten around to buying a good one yet.

Same here, i've been looking at the palio's for a little while now....

Whynot
01-07-2010, 11:29 PM
Xikar for the most part, occasionally a swiss army knife cigar scissors. Somehow I always managed to chip the blase on my bullets and I get ragged cuts, or I split the cap.

pnoon
01-07-2010, 11:32 PM
Palio. A cut above.

MedicCook
01-07-2010, 11:40 PM
Palio :tu

Neuromancer
01-08-2010, 04:10 AM
I've used punches and cutters and v-cutters...have an Avo punch (2 sided lg & sm) that I don't use...have one or two v-cutters I've moved on from...have a Zino Davidoff I don't use...have Xiker's I don't use including the little folding scissors thingy...what I do use is a Palio...best yet by far...:tu

CasaDooley
01-08-2010, 12:10 PM
Palio cutters and Xikar punches!:tu

elderboy02
01-08-2010, 12:12 PM
Palio.

Every once in a blue moon I might punch cut a cigar.

Veritas
01-08-2010, 01:05 PM
I usually use my Xikar, but for some reason I have my Zino in my pocket today.

Even so, I used a cheap V-cutter for todays smoke. Go figure.

pennjones
01-08-2010, 02:41 PM
I use a .45 cal shell for a punch (sharpened edges), but I also have a xicar xi2 for smaller sizes and torps. I'm thinking of getting the cf palio though, because I love cf and I've heard that they're second to none when it comes to cutters.

Neuromancer
01-08-2010, 02:50 PM
...I'm thinking of getting the cf palio though, because I love cf and I've heard that they're second to none when it comes to cutters.

They are definitely second to none....:banger

havanajohn
01-09-2010, 06:34 AM
A Xikar Ultra Slim cutter. Small, sharp, and will handle cigars of over 60 ring.

emtsmoker
01-11-2010, 05:28 PM
I cut mine. I use a Colibri cutter/torch combo. Cost me about $85. Nice tool, but the cutter is a bit small. It was my first purchase. You live and learn I guess. I'm considering a Xicar set for my next purchase.

thebayratt
01-11-2010, 05:36 PM
I use a inexpensive retractable punch my girlfriend got me for a suprize @ a B&M when I was in "humidor heaven" as she calls it. It came in a small black box, no name but great punch IMO.

kelmac07
01-11-2010, 05:57 PM
Palio.

Every once in a blue moon I might punch cut a cigar.

:tpd: That's me too Dan!! :tu

icehog3
01-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Palio.