PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of snipe hunts

markem
11-15-2009, 09:02 PM
So, have you played a practical joke on someone along the lines of a snipe hunt? I was thinking about this because of the coincidence of seeing the movie UP recently and, well, sending someone on a snipe hunt yesterday.

I went to Home Depot yesterday to get some penetrating oil. I was kinda pissed that the company that installed my pond filtration and pump system didn't use marine grade washers, so when I went to change out a faulty auto-fill I was met with a couple of corroded washers trying to make my life miserable.

A helpful (you know, annoyingly cheerful) employee asked what they could do to assist me. I asked where they kept the metric crescent wrenches. She pointed to the tool crib and I told her that they only had English crescent wrenches in their but that the web site said they had both kinds at the store. I felt kinda bad when she went to ask the "tool guy" where the metrics were but almost fell down laughing when the tool guy said he'd look in the back (he was serious!).

To be fair, I fell for the "left handed hammer" snipe hunt when I was five - haven't trusted my dad since ;)

Bear
11-15-2009, 09:10 PM
We used to have a "Steam Bucket" used for sanitation purposes at the grocery store I worked at as a teenager.
It was a rite of passage for any new guy to go find it on his first shift. From produce, to meat then to bakery to dry goods. We'd have the poor guy looking everywhere for it. In the end everyone had a good laugh and he got the meet his new colleagues.

Opusfxd
11-15-2009, 10:30 PM
Worked at an airport, sent a girl out to the parts department looking for some 'Jet Blast'. She was told it's in a smallish can next to the 'Wing Walk'.

MedicCook
11-15-2009, 10:35 PM
I always enjoyed telling people to make sure they replaced the headlight fluid.

markem
11-15-2009, 10:54 PM
I always enjoyed telling people to make sure they replaced the headlight fluid.

When I used to teach motorcycle safety courses, we always mentioned checking the blinker fluid as part of the pre-ride routine.

Old Sailor
11-15-2009, 11:22 PM
We use to have guys go ask for the engine room for the red and green running light oil.:r

Ashcan Bill
11-16-2009, 12:16 AM
I imagine any old Boy Scouts would remember sending the new kids on their first camp out to all the other troops, looking to borrow a left handed bacon stretcher.

Later in the real working world, we used to send new guys to the storeroom to get a sky hook for lifting various objects.

taltos
11-16-2009, 05:02 AM
Big one in the Marines was sending the new guy for a yard of flight line.:D

elderboy02
11-16-2009, 05:08 AM
We used to work with a lady that was so dumb she went looking for an inflatable dart board :r

tobii3
11-16-2009, 05:19 AM
Let's see.....

some memorable "missions" we've sent paratroopers out to get...

""Canopy Lights""

""Riser Grease""

""Keys to the Drop Zone""

""Box of Grid Squares""

""Locate a PRC-E7 for inventory""

""Pick up the BA-1100N batteries""

""Squelch grease""

""Keys to start the Deuce and a half""

""Starter Fluid""

I could go on........:r

replicant_argent
11-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Let's see.....

""Canopy Lights""

""Riser Grease""

""Box of Grid Squares""

""Squelch grease""

""Starter Fluid""

Had they invented all of those things by the time of the Phoenician War, Gunny Segway? ;)

galaga
11-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Down here we send tourists on grunion runs: sardine like fish that swim up on the beach and bury their tails in the sand to spawn. ;)

coastietech
11-16-2009, 09:41 AM
Let's see.....

""Canopy Lights""

""Riser Grease""

""Box of Grid Squares""

""Squelch grease""

""Starter Fluid""

Bingo!!

Let me add:

"Chem light batteries"

"Howitizer tire pressure gauge"

"Check the Howitzer for soft spots in the armor"

"Boom Test"

"Fill this bag with engine exhaust and run it to the Sgt for testing before it cools down."

"Jump up and down on the top of the 'gun' to check the shocks"

"Keys to the sea chest"

"Buoy oil"

:banger

Rabidsquirrel
11-16-2009, 05:02 PM
To be fair, I fell for the "left handed hammer" snipe hunt when I was five - haven't trusted my dad since ;)

Don't feel too bad, they make hammers with left handed grips now.

It's fun to send an apprentice to the floor guy (who is on his hands and knees laying tile) and have him ask for a ladder.

maxnmisty435
11-16-2009, 05:09 PM
At a herf we had a guy go snipe hunting(city boys lol)

Please dont forget the pipe or board stretcher

SilverFox
11-16-2009, 05:44 PM
I spent many a year in my younger days working in restaurants.

Some of the normals where

Run up to the bar and get me the Celery De-Stringer

Or the ever famous Bacon Stretcher.

We used to send people looking for unsalted salt too........funny then, now they have it

Opusfxd
11-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Went to return a dishwasher hose because it was too short, the guy behind the counter asked if I wanted to return it. I said, "only if you don't have a hose stretcher". He replied, "so you don't want to return this?"

WyoBob
11-17-2009, 12:33 PM
When I used to teach motorcycle safety courses, we always mentioned checking the blinker fluid as part of the pre-ride routine.

Thanks for reminding me. I think my fluid is low. I can't hear the blinker anymore:r

WyoBob