PDA

View Full Version : iBorg'd

markem
11-13-2009, 03:51 PM
So I upgraded my phone to an iPhone today. Just like all my other experiences with any Apply product, this thing is wonky and buggy, but I'm getting it figured out.

I realize that if you are already using Apple products that this may seem intuitive or easy, but the UI and functionality of this thing would receive a C- if any of my students had turned it in on a design project when I was teaching college CS. Mind you, MS would only get a B-, so maybe it's me.

All the pain stories are best told over beer, so I won't go into them here. I will complain that whoever at Apple that decided that when you sync that you can't make the iPhone contacts list override Google contacts should be shot. Fixed a bunch of contacts on the phone, so decided that the best bet was to delete the google contacts and then resync (foolish me!). On sync, iTunes insists that all the contacts need to be deleted off the phone (verified it after making sure that I had a copy of the google side). The only way to do what I was attempting is to modify on the Google side and then let it delete the phone side. Very poor design.

Oh well, now that I've spent a fortune on the 3GS, what are the cool apps? Don't need a cigar inventory app as I'm too lazy to track stuff.

dannyboy
11-13-2009, 04:27 PM
Interesting, I always found the Apple interfaces to be much more intuitive than PC, BB, or others. As for apps, must have apps for me include Pandora, NPR Radio, Fandango, Amazon, Craigsphone, and Dictionary. The safari browser is basically a Cigar Asylum app, as it seems to always have a window with CA up (BTW mobile CA site is m.cigarasylum.com)

Have fun with the new toy, I have been through many phones and the Iphone is the only one that has come close to meeting my ideal phone.:tu

Blueface
11-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Mark,
Lots of cool Apps listed on this thread.
I enjoy Shazam and use it quite a bit to identify new music I like and don't know the name of the title.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18767

I use CBS Sports and Yahoo to track my Fantasy Football teams.
I also use "Around Me" quite a bit when out of town.

I can go on and on as I have 11 pages of application on my phone.

For sheer fun for only .99, get Moron Test.

markem
11-13-2009, 05:09 PM
Mark,
Lots of cool Apps listed on this thread.
I enjoy Shazam and use it quite a bit to identify new music I like and don't know the name of the title.
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=18767

I use CBS Sports and Yahoo to track my Fantasy Football teams.
I also use "Around Me" quite a bit when out of town.

I can go on and on as I have 11 pages of application on my phone.

For sheer fun for only .99, get Moron Test.

Thanks Carlos! You always have cool ideas.

Fishbeadtwo
11-13-2009, 05:44 PM
Welcome to iphone world Mark! Plenty of apps to keep you amused there are............

markem
11-13-2009, 08:38 PM
btw, the google app for syncing the google calendar to the iPhone calendar is limited (i.e. doesn't work with google hosted domains :mad:) but rocks when matched to a gmail account.