PDA

View Full Version : It's that time of the year...

Footbag
11-13-2009, 10:02 AM
My cigars haven't been smoking so well the past few weeks. They seem a bit over-humidified and I've been a bit frustrated with the way their burning. I lowered my humidity from 65 to 63 and re-calibrated my hygros. Seems like its a good time to check your hygros and do a little pre-winter maintenance.

Anyone else's cigars taste a bit off this time of year? IMO they always taste the best in the transition from spring to summer.

acarr
11-13-2009, 10:20 AM
I never really thought about it but I have had some dogs lately that I think should have been a lot better. But then again, I thought another one was going to be a dog and it was one of the best.

akumushi
11-13-2009, 10:38 AM
Hmmm. we must have different weather, this Summer was the worst time for me in San Diego. My readings were around 73RH and 85 degrees. The heat and extra humidity makes all my cigars taste sour and burn like crap. It got almost to the point that I wasn't enjoying any of my smokes. The last month or so has actually been the best time for my cigars as they're staying pretty solid at 63RH and 65 degrees and the weather outside is crisp, cool and sunny so it's great for smoking. I do notice seasonal changes in the taste of my cigars though. One of these days I'll get that vinotemp...

sodomanaz
11-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Hmmm. we must have different weather, this Summer was the worst time for me in San Diego. My readings were around 73RH and 85 degrees. The heat and extra humidity makes all my cigars taste sour and burn like crap. It got almost to the point that I wasn't enjoying any of my smokes. The last month or so has actually been the best time for my cigars as they're staying pretty solid at 63RH and 65 degrees and the weather outside is crisp, cool and sunny so it's great for smoking. I do notice seasonal changes in the taste of my cigars though. One of these days I'll get that vinotemp...

Holy crap. You need to find a new place to store that humidor.

akumushi
11-13-2009, 10:56 AM
No AC, the garage is even hotter, and that's in the coolest room in the house. When it's pushing 100 degrees you don't really have any options other than a vinotemp. Luckily it's only for a month or two a year.

sikk50
11-13-2009, 12:40 PM
When I read the tittle I expected this to be an Opus/Anejo thread :r

SmokinApe
11-13-2009, 01:50 PM
When I read the tittle I expected this to be an Opus/Anejo thread :r

Me too...

dccraft
11-13-2009, 02:31 PM
I have to adjust the humidity up this time of the year as the furnace runs a lot. Not to many outdoor days left to smoke, but I cleared out a little corner in the garage for myself.

JJG
11-13-2009, 03:17 PM
jeez, I feel sorry for you guys up north. We usually have a total of 7-10 freezing temp. days all winter here in Houston and I've only had burn issues a handful of times when I tried to smoke in low temperatures. The wrapper has a tendency to split. My biggest problem is high humidity in the spring/summer. If I leave a cigar out to dry up before smoking, they can actually get more moist from being out of the tupperdor.

coastietech
11-13-2009, 05:33 PM
I'm getting ready for winter here too!! Instead of smoking outside in shorts and a tshirt I may have to put on a long sleeve tshirt and shorts. :D

streetglide
11-13-2009, 05:47 PM
I'm getting ready for winter here too!! Instead of smoking outside in shorts and a tshirt I may have to put on a long sleeve tshirt and shorts. :D

That's not even a little funny.:mad:

...unless you live in Florida.

CasaDooley
11-13-2009, 08:11 PM

:r:r:r
We just got our first snow today...sucks:mad: