PDA

View Full Version : Any Computer Science degrees or exp w/ SNOBOL4?

Silound
11-12-2009, 07:07 PM
Working on the last of my degree, ran into a project that I have no idea how to go about solving.

It involves coding in SNOBOL4 and is related to an even older language, Algol-60.

Here's the problem in short...

Algol-60 can be extended to include co-routines. These operate by the resume statement, which allows control to be passed between co-routines, and a co-routine will resume from where it last left off.

I have to use SNOBOL4 to change a valid Algol-60 program with co-routines into a computationally equivalent Algol-60 program using nothing but procedures. What I know is that the BNF for a co-routine is identical to the BNF for an Algol-60 procedure except the word coroutine is used, and they are called by resume. Also, I know the most basic solution is probably recursive and no more than 400 lines in length (this was given to us as some food for thought).

There is a lot more, but that's the gist of it. I can always send a copy of the actual description to someone if necessary.

Anyway, I've at a total loss for how to do this project and it's driving me crazy. Anyone who has knowledge to contribute, I appreciate any and all thoughts.

markem
11-12-2009, 07:09 PM
wow, snobol, algol, and backus-naur form all in one post. I'm having flashbacks to the late 70s.

Not good flashbacks, mind you.

Good luck with that problem. Bribe a TA.