PDA

View Full Version : Sol Cubano -- Other Recs?

lopro
11-12-2009, 10:38 AM
I don't feel like I'm qualified to write a full review... that's why this is in this forum not the other.

I am new to the cigar world and bought a few samplers online. Last night I had a Sol Cubano - Cuban Cabinet and LOVED it. The cigar.com description says it's really full bodied, but to me it seemed pretty mellow with even a SLIGHT hint of sweetness (at least, through the first 2/3rds). So, my "palate" may be way off.

Basically, why I'm posting... I want to know
a) what you guys think of these smokes
b) what you recommend I lean towards for my next purchase if I liked these a lot
c) left in my sampler: Man O War (both Ruin and non), nub conneticut, RP Fusion MM, RP ITC 10th anniversary, Park Avenue -- What should I smoke next of this bunch? (I'm having a quasi get-together & smoke thingy.... so I want to enjoy the next one... I'll go back to experimenting later)
d) I guess... about that get-together and smoke thingy... I'm bring some smokes for some even n00bier people than me.... what's a good smoke out of that above bunch I have left over?

Additionally, I've only had a few others...
Rocky Patel Sun grown -- I liked very much
Man O War Ruination -- I think this was too strong for my n00b palate (also, my humi may have been TOO dry... it seemed to burn really HOT -- I have a few of these since the sampler came with 5)

these are the only ones I can really remember... the other ones have come after a night of drinking (I had some sort of montecristo mini cigirillo thing... or it was a romeo y julieta... i'm not sure... remember? the drinking...)

Long post.... thanks for reading it... and responding (if you do)

loPro

Kreth
11-12-2009, 10:44 AM
Cuban Cabinet is an AJ Fernandez blend, as are most of the other smokes you listed. I started a thread that has a list of his blends, that would be a good start.
If you thought the Ruination was a little overpowering, the regular MoW is a little mellower.
Posted via Mobile Device

roughrider
11-12-2009, 12:16 PM
I too enjoy the Cuban Cabinet.

Zanaspus
11-12-2009, 12:27 PM
Good smoke indeed. Given your preferences, I would suggest trying Padron anything, Oliva G and V(though that may be a bit strong), Don Pepin Garcia anything, other RP products. Just a few thoughts as your likes seem to somewhat mimic mine.

Practice is sooo fun, :banger

ZenSilk
11-12-2009, 12:59 PM
I don't feel like I'm qualified to write a full review... that's why this is in this forum not the other.

I am new to the cigar world and bought a few samplers online. Last night I had a Sol Cubano - Cuban Cabinet and LOVED it. The cigar.com description says it's really full bodied, but to me it seemed pretty mellow with even a SLIGHT hint of sweetness (at least, through the first 2/3rds). So, my "palate" may be way off.

Basically, why I'm posting... I want to know
a) what you guys think of these smokes
b) what you recommend I lean towards for my next purchase if I liked these a lot
c) left in my sampler: Man O War (both Ruin and non), nub conneticut, RP Fusion MM, RP ITC 10th anniversary, Park Avenue -- What should I smoke next of this bunch? (I'm having a quasi get-together & smoke thingy.... so I want to enjoy the next one... I'll go back to experimenting later)
d) I guess... about that get-together and smoke thingy... I'm bring some smokes for some even n00bier people than me.... what's a good smoke out of that above bunch I have left over?

Additionally, I've only had a few others...
Rocky Patel Sun grown -- I liked very much
Man O War Ruination -- I think this was too strong for my n00b palate (also, my humi may have been TOO dry... it seemed to burn really HOT -- I have a few of these since the sampler came with 5)

these are the only ones I can really remember... the other ones have come after a night of drinking (I had some sort of montecristo mini cigirillo thing... or it was a romeo y julieta... i'm not sure... remember? the drinking...)

Long post.... thanks for reading it... and responding (if you do)

loPro

hey man, everyone's palate picks out different flavors. I don't really like Pepin's blends simply because they aren't spicy enough, and there's too much sweet woody flavors that aren't my favorite. But Maduro wrappers tend to be "char" flavor no matter what to me, with a few exceptions.

I love the Sc cuban cabinet's personally and would deem them worthy of a box purchase.

Starscream
11-12-2009, 01:01 PM
As said before, DPG and Padron. Try the Rocky Patel Edge and Old World Reserve. Illusione, Indian Tabac Super Fuerte, LFDs, and Joya de Nicaragua Antanos would also fit this profile. The JdN Antano may be a bit too strong for your liking though.

lopro
11-12-2009, 06:17 PM
thanks guys... I'll check these recs out...

i think for Sat I'll probably try my MoW non-Ruination.... not sure what i should bring to share.... is the park ave strong?

lopro
11-16-2009, 10:18 AM
So, i ended up having the RP ITC 10th anniversary at our little cigar party. I don't know if it was because it was after I had had more alcohol than when I usually smoke... but, there wasn't enough flavor here for me (at least at first -- the last 3rd was quite tasty). Another guy had a Gurkha Regent that was alright... and another Gurkha we don't know the name of. The 2nd Gurkha tasted really good, but burned real hot and loose... real loose draw. Maybe my brother's humi is too low %. Finally, a buddy of mine had the MoW:R and this time i really enjoyed the taste of it especially the last 3rd again. It was still strong, and I don't think I could've done a full one... but, the few times I'd hold it for a few minutes it was great. Best draw out of our bunch of cigars too.

We started the night of with some 12 yr single malt scotch then moved to a Cabernet Sauvignon....

All in all... it was an awesome night that we're looking to do once a month from here on out....

Just thought I'd share... no pics, sorry.... we're all half naked in a hot tub anyways, you don't want to see that...

lopro
11-17-2009, 03:35 PM
is the Sol Cubano Series B Conneticut T similar at all to the Cuban Cabinets? There's a good deal on those on Joecigar today...

Zanaspus
11-17-2009, 03:57 PM
is the Sol Cubano Series B Conneticut T similar at all to the Cuban Cabinets? There's a good deal on those on Joecigar today...
It's the SCCC second. Not a great deal imho, but not bad.

Zanaspus
11-17-2009, 04:08 PM
Scratch that. Banter seems to indicate this is not the case.

joeybear
11-18-2009, 04:32 AM
I had my first Sol Cubano, the maddie, this past weekend and it was quite good! I was surprised and will be a little less hesitant about having another.

Kreth
11-18-2009, 07:56 AM
I had my first Sol Cubano, the maddie, this past weekend and it was quite good! I was surprised and will be a little less hesitant about having another.
Try the Cuban Cabinet. It's an AJ Fernandez blend and pretty tasty. They're usually on cbid, too. I think I paid $9 for a 5er of the No. 1s.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
11-18-2009, 01:54 PM

It's the SCCC second. Not a great deal imho, but not bad.

Did not know this. I've been scared to try them b/c the price was too low.

bigheadmark
01-09-2010, 07:27 AM
Cuban Cabinet is an AJ Fernandez blend, as are most of the other smokes you listed. I started a thread that has a list of his blends, that would be a good start.
If you thought the Ruination was a little overpowering, the regular MoW is a little mellower.
Posted via Mobile Device

Can u post a link for the thread? i can't find it

Kreth
01-09-2010, 10:04 AM
Can u post a link for the thread? i can't find it
Here you go:
Link (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=23776)
Posted via Mobile Device