PDA

View Full Version : The best cigar drink you've never heard of...

covetry
11-11-2009, 09:18 PM
Taken from my blog, I thought it pertinent to post here as many have never heard of this drink:

http://covetry.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fernet2.jpg

It's called Fernet con Coca.

You really don’t know what you’re missing. Neither did I, until a recent trip to Argentina opened my eyes to what has to be one of the best marriages of drink and smoke ever. Late one night in a smokey club in Neuquen, a city in the south-west region (Patagonia, some call it), my brother in law orders us two drinks. Fernet con Coca. “Dos, por favor.”

“What is it?” I asked.

“It’s the drink.” He replies utilizing 80% of his english vocabulary in one sentence. And he’s right, in a way. It is the drink. In Argentina, it is the national alcoholic beverage of choice. It is made with two simple ingredients: A shot of Fernet-Branca – an italian herbal digestif seriously high in alcohol content – and Coca-Cola. You start with a tall collins glass, fill to the brim with large ice cubes. Fill 1/10th with Fernet and the rest with Coke. The combination, for some reason unknown to me, creates a much thicker head of fizz than usual. Fernetis a type of amaro, a bitter, aromatic spirit. It is made from a number of different herbs and spices including myrrh, rhubarb, chamomile, cardamom, aloe, and saffron, with a base of grape distilled spirits.

http://covetry.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/10/fernet_con_coca.jpg

The taste the Fernet imparts to the Coke is uncannily smokey. You can taste wood, especially cedar, along with tea leaves and dry earth. This is delicately framed by the sweetness of the Coke to create, in my opinion, a great addition to a smoke. Because the flavors of the Fernet are very broad, they don’t distract from the flavors of the cigar. In fact, they almost force your palate to get into the “zone” where you start to taste those nuances you read about in Cigar Aficionado. Abbiritions of orange peel, currant, wheat, honey; things many of the smokers I know say they have yet to taste, begin to appear on your tongue as bright and clear as day.

Of course, when I got back to the states, the first thing I went looking for was Fernet-Branca. Can it be found easily? Hell, yes. In fact the very first liquor store I visited had it. It is also easy to find at online retailers. The going price is around $24, which is fine considering you only need to use very little at a time.

pnoon
11-11-2009, 09:41 PM
I was gifted a bottle of this and really had no idea on what to do with it or how best to drink it.

Now I have something to try.

Thanks for posting this.

loki
11-11-2009, 09:48 PM
gona have to try this

GHC_Hambone
11-11-2009, 09:59 PM
Sounds interesting. Thanks for posting.

replicant_argent
11-11-2009, 10:12 PM
sounds delicious.
I will keep my eye out for it.

Stick
11-11-2009, 10:14 PM
I have had it as a shot with a ginger-ale chaser, pretty tasty but very strong/bitter straight. Will have to try the coke mix.

Good article (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/bitters)in The Atlantic a little while ago on it.

pnoon
11-11-2009, 10:19 PM
It's 80 proof.

pnoon
11-11-2009, 10:23 PM
I have had it as a shot with a ginger-ale chaser, pretty tasty but very strong/bitter straight. Will have to try the coke mix. Good article (http://www.theatlantic.com/doc/200811/bitters)in the Atlantic a little while ago on it.

Cool article, David.

I especially liked this part:
"Branca’s great-great-grandfather conceived the original formula in 1845. “It was born as a medicine,” Branca said, and for decades Fernet was touted for its healthful effects. As recently as 1962, Suburbia Today recommended it for “overeating, flatulence, hangovers, gas pains, [and] lifting yourself off the floor when you’ve mixed oysters and bananas.”

Stick
11-11-2009, 10:26 PM
Cool article, David.

I especially liked this part:
"Branca’s great-great-grandfather conceived the original formula in 1845. “It was born as a medicine,” Branca said, and for decades Fernet was touted for its healthful effects. As recently as 1962, Suburbia Today recommended it for “overeating, flatulence, hangovers, gas pains, [and] lifting yourself off the floor when you’ve mixed oysters and bananas.”

I figured that might explain why you were gifted the bottle Peter.

:r

pnoon
11-11-2009, 10:31 PM
I figured that might explain why you were gifted the bottle Peter.

Is there ANYONE who will cut me some slack? :D

Ironic, isn't it, that it came from one of my fellow S.H.I.T. herfers.

Sauer Grapes
11-11-2009, 10:33 PM
I hate it when I accidentally mix oysters and bananas. They just go so good together and sometimes you forget that it makes gravity 5X stronger.

alley00p
11-11-2009, 11:11 PM
Personally, I've always been partial to "Cigar Malt" a single malt scotch from "The Dalmore" :dr

But I'll have to get a bottle of this and take it up to the Cigar shop! :D

Thanks for the great review!! :tu

:dance:

LasciviousXXX
11-12-2009, 12:05 AM
Is there ANYONE who will cut me some slack? :D

Ironic, isn't it, that it came from one of my fellow S.H.I.T. herfers.

Even though you never do for me Peter... I will cut you some slack :tu

It sounds interesting however the "saffron" flavor kind of turns me off. I love the flavor of saffron in food but can't imagine it being anywhere near tasty in a drink :2

The rhubarb/cardamom part :tu

Robert Mabona
11-12-2009, 12:14 AM
basil muddled in grapefruit juice with vodka

Veritas
11-12-2009, 12:24 AM
I will definitely be seeking a bottle of this stuff. Thanks for the info. :tu

covetry
11-12-2009, 06:53 AM
Even though you never do for me Peter... I will cut you some slack :tu

It sounds interesting however the "saffron" flavor kind of turns me off. I love the flavor of saffron in food but can't imagine it being anywhere near tasty in a drink :2

The rhubarb/cardamom part :tu

It doesn't actually taste like saffron or rhubarb. Those are just ingredients used to make it... It taste very woody, cedary, and earthy. And it is WAY too strong by itself, which is why Coke makes a great pairing with it.

Thanks for all the kind responses guys!

pnoon
11-12-2009, 06:54 AM
And it is WAY too strong by itself, which is why Coke makes a great pairing with it.

I agree that it is not to be drunk by itself but not because it is too strong in alcohol - 80 proof. Maybe because of the strength in flavor. It is a bit overwhelming and "different.

Parshooter
11-12-2009, 07:29 AM
Interesting. Wonder if it will mix with anything other than Coke (maybe Sprite?).

Scottw
11-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Personally, I've always been partial to "Cigar Malt" a single malt scotch from "The Dalmore" :dr
But I'll have to get a bottle of this and take it up to the Cigar shop! :D

Thanks for the great review!! :tu

:dance:

I love this stuff, it is dangerous for sure when enjoyed with a great stick .I downed an entire bottle with a buddy of mine over a few Pepin Garcia Centurions.

mosesbotbol
11-12-2009, 08:39 AM
I thought it was common to mix with soda and/or orange juice? Similar to Campari would be.

Sounds like you have a offered us a good mixed drink!

hornitosmonster
11-12-2009, 08:43 AM
I think Zane was drinking them on Three Sheets (Fernet con Coca). Looks tasty...

St. Lou Stu
11-12-2009, 09:31 AM
Headed to the liquor store to pick some up this eve.

tobii3
11-12-2009, 10:15 AM
Find Bill Cosby's comedy routine about Fernet Branca.

The best description you will EVER find.

Doctorossi
11-12-2009, 11:38 AM
Thanks for this post- sounds a treat!

covetry
11-12-2009, 01:03 PM
Headed to the liquor store to pick some up this eve.

My pleasure man. Post your description of it here. Different people taste different things.

kelmac07
11-12-2009, 01:32 PM
Got me intruiged now.

Sauer Grapes
11-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Wonder how it'd go with coke zero or diet coke?

Sauer Grapes
12-09-2009, 10:30 AM
bought a bottle of this over the weekend for Trisheid's herf. It was... interesting. I wouldn't call it good by any means, but I wouldn't call it bad. I had two Fernet and Cokes to make sure I had an accurate sample.

I won't be buying it again, but it wasn't outright horrible. It smells like bengay and bad perfume.

JohnRogers
12-09-2009, 11:21 AM
In fact, they almost force your palate to get into the “zone” where you start to taste those nuances you read about in Cigar Aficionado. Abbiritions of orange peel, currant, wheat, honey; things many of the smokers I know say they have yet to taste, begin to appear on your tongue as bright and clear as day.
The Enid crew will need to try this. Thanks.

...I hope Mr. Grapes is wrong.

Sauer Grapes
12-09-2009, 11:37 AM
I'll be interested to see what your group thinks. There are obviously people that like this stuff, otherwise it wouldn't have lasted this long.

paris1129
12-22-2009, 06:34 PM
I am drinking a "fernet con coca" right now. I have had a bottle of Fernet for years, and never liked it by itself. It never occured to me to pair it with Coke! While it is not my favorite drink of all time, it is very good, and I can see why this would be an excellent beverage with a cigar. I am not feeling a smoke this evening, but I will probably be trying a "fernet con coca" with a stogie tomorrow night! :tu

tobii3
12-22-2009, 06:49 PM
Make your own conclusions...

:D

Bill Cosby - Fernet Branca (http://www.google.com/url?q=http://popup.lala.com/popup/432627069328619983&ei=yHYxS5r4KaimtgeFp-GNCQ&sa=X&oi=music_play_track&resnum=1&ct=result&cd=2&ved=0CAgQ0wQoADAA&usg=AFQjCNFCApXbhi2ZaIxGkArsEko6hc47vg)

paris1129
12-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Okay, I made myself a Fernet con coca this afternoon and had it with a Oliva serie G. It went really well with the cigar. I enjoyed it and will definetly be drinking it again.

BeerAdvocate
12-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Seeyoulator Doppelbock - its a dopplebock aged on cedar. The perfect cigar beer!!

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/423/52373

emtsmoker
01-11-2010, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the post. I'll have to find a bottle and try it out. Always looking for something new to drink.

covetry
05-13-2010, 11:32 AM
bought a bottle of this over the weekend for Trisheid's herf. It was... interesting. I wouldn't call it good by any means, but I wouldn't call it bad. I had two Fernet and Cokes to make sure I had an accurate sample.

I won't be buying it again, but it wasn't outright horrible. It smells like bengay and bad perfume.

Haha. I'm sorry to hear that. Different strokes for different folks. I will say it smells extremely strong and nasty by itself, which isn't surprising given its made only of fermented herbs and wine.

Brutus2600
05-13-2010, 01:41 PM
You've convinced me! I'll drop by my local liqour store to see if they have any. They have quite the variety of stuff so I'm sure they will. And if I don't like it, well, I've spent more money on liqours I didn't like! $24 isn't bad.

Eleven
05-18-2010, 06:08 PM
/tagging this so I don't forget the name :)