PDA

View Full Version : Dyed Cigar, how to tell?

kenstogie
11-11-2009, 05:22 PM
I know that if you have the red/brown fingers it's supposed to be the tell-tale sign of a dyed cigar, is that all there is too it?

Is there a definitive way to tell for sure?

I have had some higher end cigars that do this to some extent and I wonder are they dyed? Could this just be some spit mixing with the maduro wrapper?

SmokinApe
11-11-2009, 05:32 PM
This is a good question and I am looking forward to the responses. IMO I think it is hard for folks to admit or accept that their favorite cigar is dyed. IMO any cigar that is black as a pan of used motor oil and is totally uniform in color is suspect. I have smoked cigars and ended up with black on my fingers and mouth and I am not one of these slobber smokers that always seems to be next to you in the PPP...

kenstogie
11-11-2009, 05:37 PM
For the record, I really don't slobber my cigars either. ;)

SmokinApe
11-11-2009, 05:41 PM
for the record, i really don't slobber my cigars either. ;)

lmao!

s15driftking
11-11-2009, 05:43 PM
IMO, the suspect point would be the very even exact consistent color in the wrapper. but then again some just are stewed to perfection.

Uflbassin
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM
From what I've heard, any cigar that is "black" is dyed. No leaf is naturally that hue, a dark brown is normal, but a blacker color usually means its dyed. Also a uniform flawless color can be a giveaway. Think Partagas Black :tu

Tio Gato
11-11-2009, 06:19 PM
Living in the Conn. Valley, I've seen lots of Broadleaf wrappers that are as black as night that are pure and have no dye at all. Uniform 'blackness' does not mean dyed.
Dyed wrappers leave your lips and fingers stained. IMHO these wrappers are found on crappy cigars, rarely on a quality cigar. Check out a Villazon made double oscuro and you will see perfectly black wrappers that are made with love, not dye. Yum!:dr

Uflbassin
11-11-2009, 07:03 PM
Thats why I prefaced my post with "from what I've heard", to cover my a** in case someone proved me wrong :r Thanks for the info though :tu

BigCat
11-12-2009, 05:53 AM
From what I've heard, any cigar that is "black" is dyed. No leaf is naturally that hue, a dark brown is normal, but a blacker color usually means its dyed. Also a uniform flawless color can be a giveaway. Think Partagas Black :tu

I've smoked a lot of partagas black and have never noticed my fingers or mouth with any dye on them. Not saying they are not dyed, just adding a little anecdotal evidence to the mix...

neoflex
11-12-2009, 06:51 PM
The bands will say Rocky Patel on them. :r:D J/K sort of:ss

JJG
11-12-2009, 08:28 PM
On some of the darker cigars I've smoked, I noticed that a strange lighter colored ring appears next to the ash. I always assumed this was a telltale sign of dye. just a guess though, I could be wrong. It only happens on really dark smokes though.

anyone else know what I'm talking about? It's like the wrapper turns a different color as it starts to burn.

T.G
11-12-2009, 09:45 PM
On some of the darker cigars I've smoked, I noticed that a strange lighter colored ring appears next to the ash. I always assumed this was a telltale sign of dye. just a guess though, I could be wrong. It only happens on really dark smokes though.

anyone else know what I'm talking about? It's like the wrapper turns a different color as it starts to burn.

I know exactly what you are talking about, and nope, it's not a sign of dye. It's just how the wrapper burns. Has to do with the temprature and chemical changes that occur in the leaf.

BillyCigars
11-12-2009, 09:47 PM
Aside from the taste (of the wrapper), the way I can tell for sure is to roll the tip of the cigar in the web of my hand after it's been moistened and then look. If it's brown, it's dyed. It's never failed. As a control, I tried it with a Punch Oscuro (which are one of the better REAL maduros/oscuros out there) just to make sure I wouldnt get a false positive - and there was indeed NO brown residue. Try it, it works :tu

FWIW, the worst dyed cigar I've ever come across was a Nestor Reserve.

T.G
11-12-2009, 09:53 PM
Aside from the taste (of the wrapper), the way I can tell for sure is to roll the tip of the cigar in the web of my hand after it's been moistened and then look. If it's brown, it's dyed. It's never failed. As a control, I tried it with a Punch Oscuro (which are one of the better REAL maduros/oscuros out there) just to make sure I wouldnt get a false positive - and there was indeed NO brown residue. Try it, it works :tu

FWIW, the worst dyed cigar I've ever come across was a Nestor Reserve.

Yup.

In some cases, you might see a faint coloration transfer, which is probably tar or other oils from the wrapper, and not dye. Dye is almost like a magic marker. Very few quality cigars are dyed these days.

Remember the Black Pearls? OMG - those were some seriously bad dye jobs too.

borndead1
11-14-2009, 06:28 AM
If stained fingers is a sign of dyeing, then Padron 80ths and Fuente Anejos are both dyed, and the El Mejor Espresso is not.

/sarcasm off/ :D

kaelaria
11-14-2009, 02:51 PM
I've never cared either way. If it smokes well and I like the flavor, that's all that matters to me.

mariogolbee
11-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Are you saying that Partagas Black's are dyed?

JJG
11-14-2009, 07:04 PM
If stained fingers is a sign of dyeing, then Padron 80ths and Fuente Anejos are both dyed, and the El Mejor Espresso is not.

/sarcasm off/ :D

I smoked a Padron 26 the other night that I suspected of being dyed. It just didn't look natural and stained my fingers. The regular line maduros look natural but the 26s are much darker.

bobarian
11-14-2009, 07:15 PM
I've never cared either way. If it smokes well and I like the flavor, that's all that matters to me.

:tpd:If it doesnt affect the taste, I am not sure why dying is an issue.

JJG
11-14-2009, 07:35 PM

agreed, I don't think it makes any difference. Which begs the question, why do it in the first place? What is the point of dying the tobacco to a completely unnatural color? and even if it does not affect the flavor at all, I think it has a negative psychological effect on some, including myself.

T.G
11-14-2009, 07:44 PM
agreed, I don't think it makes any difference. Which begs the question, why do it in the first place? What is the point of dying the tobacco to a completely unnatural color? and even if it does not affect the flavor at all, I think it has a negative psychological effect on some, including myself.

Looks, and the public's demand for them. Some are not satisfied with just the countless sort processes which will yield a box of NC cigars that are all uniform in color, but also desire an identical consistency from box to box. Take Cuban cigars, often very inconsitant in color and often blemished wrappers, yet people accept them because they are Cuban. Not so much with the NC cigars though.

Very few cigars are dyed today anyway, so it's almost a moot point.

bobarian
11-14-2009, 07:50 PM
In most cases they are not dyed to an unnatural color. Dying is done to give color uniformity. Often during fermentation wrappers become "splotchy" and unappealing. Wrappers are the most valuable leaf from the tobacco plant and wasting them due to uneven fermentation would increase cost. Aesthetics are a big part of any consumer purchase, from televisions and food products to cigars. Some of the cigars accused of being dyed, Partagas Black, Sancho Panza Double Maduro and Padron were among my favorite maduros. I dont smoke many NC's currently, but I would not hesitate to put them back in rotation. :2

Homebrewer
11-15-2009, 07:00 AM
What are they dyed with? Does anyone know?

Rabidsquirrel
11-15-2009, 07:56 AM
I would suspect some kind of tobacco tea.

T.G
11-15-2009, 08:21 AM
What are they dyed with? Does anyone know?

The dye is made from the crushed stalks of the tobacco plants.

SmokinApe
11-15-2009, 09:07 AM
http://blip.tv/file/2394562

Skywalker
11-19-2009, 11:04 AM

A lot of beautiful women dye their hair??? Why??? Don't ask!!! Just enjoy!!!;)