PDA

View Full Version : Thief...

zitro_joe
11-11-2009, 03:02 PM
My wife bought something off the internet, seller only delivered half the order. I have sent four emails now, no response. Been four weeks now.

Payment was through PP. I tried to go through them but since it was not an ebay purchase I am not guaranteed a refund. PP suggested I try going through my bank, but there wasn't anything they could since it was a ACH transaction. She even suggested local authorities.

Anyone have any experience with this type of stuff?

RightAJ
11-11-2009, 03:25 PM
Damn dude that stinks... Who was the seller and what was the product? Try calling maybe?

If all else fails make sure to publicly state that you had bad service, that will be sure to get their attention if they actually care about their business... Its sad, but thats what it may come down to it sound like.

aj

icehog3
11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Even with their "suggestions", is PP going to try to intervene in any way?

e-man67
11-11-2009, 03:38 PM
Was the transaction paid for with a credit card through pp? If so, call your credit card company..they will refund you fully and go after the other party.

ade06
11-11-2009, 03:45 PM
Was the seller an individual or a business? If its a business, file a Better Business Bureau complaint, write to your State's Attorney General and maybe even to the FTC division of consumer fraud. If it's an individual… you'll probably be stuck with pp or your credit card regarding their dispute process.

Sauer Grapes
11-11-2009, 03:54 PM
Unfortunately, if you paid through your bank and they won't do anything, you have to go through local authorities if PP won't back you up.

If you had used a credit card, your credit card company will refund you, then PP is out the money and it's up to them to go after the crook. It's funny how their protection really isn't. Also funny how they'll go after the guy when they are actually out the money.

zitro_joe
11-11-2009, 04:07 PM
Not a CC, bank funds transfer. That's what an an ACH is; I am very confident that my bank tried everything....my mother is the head of the electronic funds transfer division... that was an odd conversation. Talking business to my mom. The chaps at work were having a field day listening to my conversation. I felt like a 14 year old asking mom for money to go to the movies.

It's an at home business. I have the ladies name and address. Baby clothes stuff. My wife embroiders clothes and stuff for gifts. She wont answer or return my calls. I have been very pleasant with my emails and messages, really I have.

I was really disappointed PP didn't do more as they offer "buyer protection". I don't have a CC and never have. I might go get one now since they seem to have fairly decent protection programs.

csbrewfisher
11-11-2009, 04:08 PM
Unfortunately, if you paid through your bank and they won't do anything, you have to go through local authorities if PP won't back you up.

If you had used a credit card, your credit card company will refund you, then PP is out the money and it's up to them to go after the crook. It's funny how their protection really isn't. Also funny how they'll go after the guy when they are actually out the money.

Which is why they do everything in their power to get you to use your bank account as the primary funding source.

zitro_joe
11-11-2009, 04:10 PM
Which is why they do everything in their power to get you to use your bank account as the primary funding source.

hmm, I never thought of that. They have a cedit program, wonder if that has better protection.

bobarian
11-11-2009, 04:52 PM
You have a name and address and evidence of the transaction. Sounds like you may need to proceed to Small Claims court. :2

GodOfFire
11-11-2009, 04:55 PM
PP will not do anything if it is not an ebay purchase.

kenstogie
11-11-2009, 05:12 PM
Wow I always use my bank card. Now I am wondering if I should use my credit card for online purchases. hmmmmmm....

RGD.
11-11-2009, 05:56 PM
It always sucks when it happens. I have had two problems total in all my years that I could not resolve through the bank. This is what I finally did both times. I sent a very nice email explaining that I was going on a business trip and would be not far from them (pick a date at least two weeks out). Ask them to have the items ready for pickup as you will be stopping by their home personally.

This worked for the lady in Tennessee - I had the item in a week. It did not work for the guy up in Canada (guess he figured I'm not coming by for a $12 part).

The fear of having to meet someone in person by having them show up at your door will motivate most people. The problem with internet purchases is that you are simply a computer screen to them - and nobody is scared of a computer screen. Remember - non-threatening email or postal letter.

Good luck -

Ron

icehog3
11-11-2009, 05:57 PM
Wow I always use my bank card. Now I am wondering if I should use my credit card for online purchases. hmmmmmm....

You should be protected ultimately either way....problem is, with a bank card they can clean out your account, and it can often take weeks to get the funds back.

floydpink
11-11-2009, 06:01 PM
It always sucks when it happens. I have had two problems total in all my years that I could not resolve through the bank. This is what I finally did both times. I sent a very nice email explaining that I was going on a business trip and would be not far from them (pick a date at least two weeks out). Ask them to have the items ready for pickup as you will be stopping by their home personally.

This worked for the lady in Tennessee - I had the item in a week. It did not work for the guy up in Canada (guess he figured I'm not coming by for a $12 part).

The fear of having to meet someone in person by having them show up at your door will motivate most people. The problem with internet purchases is that you are simply a computer screen to them - and nobody is scared of a computer screen. Remember - non-threatening email or postal letter.

Good luck -

Ron

I like this idea the most but alway seem to have trouble keeping my cool and adhering to the non threatening part when I get screwed over.

Unfortunately, I have been known to cause some rather large scenes in my day.

Depending on the amount, an actual trip to the seller's doorstep might not be a bad idea with a few tatooed bikers in tow.

RGD.
11-11-2009, 06:02 PM

After my two problems in the above post - I now use my bank card (Visa) and my bank stepped right in on one problem I had and refunded me within a few days.
Just a five minute phone interview giving them the circumstances, dates, phone numbers, etc. A week later, after the money had already been deposited, the bank sent me a letter that I had to sign and return (I knew it was coming). Pretty easy.

Ron

shilala
11-11-2009, 06:11 PM
Joe, You have her name and address.
Use Zabasearch or any phone number reverse address seach and give her a call.
Be courteous. It could be a simple case where her email is down, etc. Use that approach very cautiously and with the utmost respect.
Once you've gone that route, send a certified letter explaining your intent to contact the authorities in her area, naming her local police department and the head of that department (who you should have called before you write the letter).
I've owned an online auction since '99 and have dealt with hundreds of these sorts of things, usually to the satisfaction of both parties.
Usually it works out if you do things just right.
The key is to be very polite, extend the courtesy that it's an honest mistake, and do not make threats.
When you write the letter, don't threaten at that point, either. Simply explain you're going to ask the local police to come and speak to her.
Usually a police officer will stop by and speak to her.
At that point, the problem is usually solved. :tu
Hope this helps!!! :)

DPD6030
11-12-2009, 09:42 AM
Not a CC, bank funds transfer. That's what an an ACH is; I am very confident that my bank tried everything....my mother is the head of the electronic funds transfer division... that was an odd conversation. Talking business to my mom. The chaps at work were having a field day listening to my conversation. I felt like a 14 year old asking mom for money to go to the movies.

It's an at home business. I have the ladies name and address. Baby clothes stuff. My wife embroiders clothes and stuff for gifts. She wont answer or return my calls. I have been very pleasant with my emails and messages, really I have.

I was really disappointed PP didn't do more as they offer "buyer protection". I don't have a CC and never have. I might go get one now since they seem to have fairly decent protection programs.

I know you called PP but did you use the online form to file a dispute? I've done that in the past and both times I was refunded my money after the "seller" didn't come through. Might go that route.

kaelaria
11-12-2009, 10:34 AM
Find out where she advertises (forums?) and post your experience.

zitro_joe
11-12-2009, 05:10 PM
I know you called PP but did you use the online form to file a dispute? I've done that in the past and both times I was refunded my money after the "seller" didn't come through. Might go that route.

Absolutely! Thats when I was told that they only have full refund coverage for ebay. Outside of ebay, the seller has to agree to the resolution of the dispute. So that means she denied the partial refund I asked for. I was told that they keep the file open for 180 days. If there are several complaints in that period, they close their account.

AlohaStyle
11-12-2009, 05:19 PM
You have a name and address and evidence of the transaction. Sounds like you may need to proceed to Small Claims court. :2

If they live far apart, that would not make financial sense since you have to file a claim in their home area. That means flying there and going to court if you want to proceed. Even if you win a small claims decision, there's no way for the court to enforce the payment.

I think the best course of action is to find her phone number and place a call. If that doesn't work send the certified letter and contact local authorities.

Cigary
11-13-2009, 03:11 PM
It's important to note that debit cards are not the same as a Credit Card as far as protection for you when you buy goods and services. I learned the hard way with a debit card purchase and the person I bought goods from did not warranty the item that broke. I tried contacting my bank and they said since it was a debit card they could not guarantee the funds. I now use a CC for every purchase ( Capital One ) and have had to dispute a couple of purchases and they put my funds back within 24 hours. I never worry about a purchase anymore.

zitro_joe
11-14-2009, 08:09 AM
It's important to note that debit cards are not the same as a Credit Card as far as protection for you when you buy goods and services. I learned the hard way with a debit card purchase and the person I bought goods from did not warranty the item that broke. I tried contacting my bank and they said since it was a debit card they could not guarantee the funds. I now use a CC for every purchase ( Capital One ) and have had to dispute a couple of purchases and they put my funds back within 24 hours. I never worry about a purchase anymore.

This is foing to be my next route. Just seems the ability to dispute is apealing. Never had a credit card, now to figure out which one would be the best.

Okay...

I have decided to contact her local authorities and send a certified letter. When I call the law, what type of verbage do I use? What do I say? Do I file a report?

Thanks for all the help.

Joe

icehog3
11-14-2009, 08:58 AM

I have decided to contact her local authorities and send a certified letter. When I call the law, what type of verbage do I use? What do I say? Do I file a report?

Thanks for all the help.

Joe

The law enforcement people will walk you through it (they do it every day).

I would not send any letter before talking it over with the authorities, you might compromise any potential police action by doing so. :2