PDA

View Full Version : Drew Estate Java Wafe

Langod
11-04-2009, 09:34 AM
This cigar was given to me to try by a friend. Very unusual shape – 5” long, but with a rectangular cross-section about ½” wide and no more than ¼” thick. It’s a flavored cigar made by a collaboration between Rocky Patel and Drew Estate.
http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/langod/Cigars/java5.jpg

Review
Date: November 4, 2009
Cigar: Drew Estate Java Wafe
Price: about $5
Size: 5 x 46 ring but very thin
Shape: box-pressed, rectangular, thin
Wrapper: Maduro
Filler: Nicaraguan & Brazilian, flavored with coffee
Beverage with cigar: Hot coffee

Appearance: medium-dark brown wrapper, smooth and dry.
Pre-Light: Delicious coffee and cocoa scent. Firm feel, with minor soft spots probably due to thin shape.
Clip: straight cut (Palio) – I was surprised there was no no mashing considering the odd shape.
Draw: medium
1/3: After initial light, strong, pleasant but I expected more coffee flavor.
2/3: Still fairly strong tobacco flavor, but still very little coffee essence.
3/3: Mellowed a bit to a milder “typical” inexpensive tobacco flavor. Nothing special, but not a bad flavor.
Burn: Pretty decent. Slightly uneven, needed one minor touch-up.
Ash: would only hold on to about 1" of light gray ash.
Strength: medium, very little nicotine effect.
Time: about 25 minutes.

Impression: Pleasant smoke, but no coffee flavor that I could notice. I have very little flavored cigar experience, so maybe all the flavor was supposed to be only in the aroma, I just expected a stronger coffee/cocoa in the smoke. Still, it was a decent quick cigar. I would buy it again as a pleasant quick smoke without a flavor expectation.

http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/langod/Cigars/java3.jpg http://i200.photobucket.com/albums/aa52/langod/Cigars/java4.jpg
(Oh yeah, that's my smoking buddy.)

njstone
11-04-2009, 09:42 AM
Thanks for the review! The Java is one of the very few infused sticks that I will smoke on occasion. I've had a Wafe--nice stick when it's really cold out, and I don't feel like I'm wasting a nice stick on weather that's too harsh for me to enjoy something more subtle.

Kreth
11-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Nice review. I had the same experience, I was expecting more flavor based on the aroma.
Posted via Mobile Device

Giant & 49er Fan
11-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Nice Review. I hear this often in regards to Java. I find it kinda of nice to NOT be overwhelmed with too much flavor. Java seems to also have some traditional cigar taste as well. The infusion is coffee and vanilla which is the essence of mocha. I descibe the cigar to people as a good balance between flavor, aroma and a premium traditional cigar. Thanks again for the review.

wayner123
11-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Good review. These are the only flavored cigars I will smoke. And the wafe is pretty much the only vitola. I am always amazed at how much smoke is produced from this odd shape.

Starscream
11-04-2009, 09:04 PM
I tried one of these and wasn't impressed. I had a Java Latte wafe and liked it, though.:tu Anyone know if they still make Java Lattes?

covetry
11-06-2009, 07:06 AM
This is the only flavored cigar I've ever smoked and I have to say your review is spot on. Very aromatic, but little flavor. This cigar should be burnt as incense only. ;)

roughrider
11-06-2009, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the review.

Santesyu
11-06-2009, 10:14 PM
Nice review, hey in comparison how does this do against tabak? Iam gonna havet to try this out if where I go to even have this..