PDA

View Full Version : Camacho Cigars

vankleekkw
11-03-2009, 04:14 PM
While this is a duplicate posting, I felt the need to post it in the general forum as most people stopped reading the Black Band Project thread. I know that I did and just happen to get an update today that got me upset.

Dylan,

While I did receive the black band cigars, I have no intentions of smoking them or any of your other products at this point. I have held on to them and several other cigars you manufacture hoping that you would make the situation right, but instead you have done nothing but smear more mud in the face of Camacho. The entire campaign was very poorly managed from the beginning and had continued mis-management. I can not accept any more excuses from your organization, as I stopped counting at three.

1. More demand than anticipated - You should have monitored enrollment and had a commitment on product availability.
2. More are being shipped - You actually knew your committments and still did not make enough product.
3. Substitution of another product - Again, you knew your committments and still did not make enough product.

When you offered up a product in exchange for viewing your marketing campaign, you entered into a contract that you did not uphold. I know that I do not speak for others on the forum, but had to let you know that you did lose at least one loyal customer as a result of the decisions that Camacho made. This is not the type of BOTL actions that I expect out of a company who promotes the BOTL Culture.

As to the proposed questions that might come up about the product that I do have, they will go out as Bombs until they are all gone.

Kris

SmokinApe
11-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Not sure I totally understand what is going on here...

bobarian
11-03-2009, 04:29 PM

:tpd: Someone get butt hurt?

Emjaysmash
11-03-2009, 06:16 PM
Bob and SmokinApe-

As you may or may not know, the promotional "Black Band Project" basically fell flat on its face after the offered free cigars to the participants of the promotion, but has yet to deliver to many of those participants due to shortage of the promotional cigars. Dylan Austin replied to the "Black Band Project" thread on CA and told us that another wave of shipments would be sent out soon, however some the the original cigars promised will be substituted for others that they currently have in stock. This is Kris' response to that promise.

captain53
11-03-2009, 06:25 PM

:tpd:

SmokinApe
11-03-2009, 06:34 PM
Bob and SmokinApe-

As you may or may not know, the promotional "Black Band Project" basically fell flat on its face after the offered free cigars to the participants of the promotion, but has yet to deliver to many of those participants due to shortage of the promotional cigars. Dylan Austin replied to the "Black Band Project" thread on CA and told us that another wave of shipments would be sent out soon, however some the the original cigars promised will be substituted for others that they currently have in stock. This is Kris' response to that promise.

Thank you, but how does Camacho play into this?

Emjaysmash
11-03-2009, 06:38 PM
Camacho is the brand behind the promotion.

coastietech
11-03-2009, 06:51 PM
I guess I'm wondering how mad could you possibly be about not getting "free" stuff? It's not like they charged you for something and didn't come through. They were giving away free stuff and ran out. Guess everyone has to choose their battles, this wouldn't be one I would make a big deal about. To each his own. :2

bigheadmark
11-03-2009, 06:54 PM
I must say they make a darn fine cigar!!!
the camacho Havano Gigante is phenomenal!!!

captain53
11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Anyone and Everyone who wishes to rid themselves of Camocho Cigars is welcome to send them right on down here to me, I will gladly smoke all of them.:tt

Daustin333
11-03-2009, 07:32 PM
I don't see how giving over 36,000 free cigars could be considered falling on your face, slinging mud at the face of our company, and not holding up our end of the bargain. Truly, I am bewildered by his attempt to attack me and I refuse to answer the unfounded claims which he has detailed, mainly because the statements are false.

As of this Friday, the remaining 300 out 12,300 who participated will have been taken care of.

If anyone has an inquiry regarding the project, please feel free to call me directly at any time, 305-592-0722 x747 or email me dylan at camachocigars dot com.

Kris, if you would like to call and chat, I would be more than glad to talk.

Cheers,

Dylan@Camacho

bigheadmark
11-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I don't see how giving over 36,000 free cigars could be considered falling on your face, slinging mud at the face of our company, and not holding up our end of the bargain. Truly, I am bewildered by his attempt to attack me and I refuse to answer the unfounded claims which he has detailed, mainly because the statements are false.

As of this Friday, the remaining 300 out 12,300 who participated will have been taken care of.

If anyone has an inquiry regarding the project, please feel free to call me directly at any time, 305-592-0722 x747 or email me dylan at camachocigars dot com.

Cheers,

Dylan@Camacho

where the heck was I at when you gave out over 36,000 cigars! please let me know if you plan on giving out any more!!!

fyrftr
11-03-2009, 07:47 PM
where the heck was I at when you gave out over 36,000 cigars! please let me know if you plan on giving out any more!!!

:tpd: You were up here, freezing in MI with me! :tpd:

sodomanaz
11-03-2009, 07:52 PM
I hope Kris never sees a damn thing from that promotion. What a weenbag.

bobarian
11-03-2009, 07:57 PM
I guess I need to send K Hansotia an email. I never got my FREE Gurhka hat or cigar case! I will never smoke another Gurkha! :r

Emjaysmash
11-03-2009, 08:04 PM
I guess I need to send K Hansotia an email. I never got my FREE Gurhka hat or cigar case! I will never smoke another Gurkha! :r

haha, me either.

Course, Gurkhas are less desirable than Camachos, imho.

vankleekkw
11-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Point well taken guys. Principles are principles whether items are free or not. I guess that we all have differing opinions.

Mods, since I am apparently way off base with this lock it up

Don Fernando
11-04-2009, 12:18 AM
I hope Kris never sees a damn thing from that promotion. What a weenbag.

complaining about free cigars, WTF???

Adriftpanda
11-04-2009, 01:02 AM
My mouth is shut on this... both parties do have some decent arguments. Oh well...

Ratters
11-04-2009, 01:34 AM

I never got mine either, but who gives a rat's ass. Like Bob I never got my Gurkha swag either. Or some free Montecristo I emailed for a couple years ago. I thought their attempt at viral marketing went pretty well, except for demand being more than expected. Hey, sh*t happens. I once didn't get my promotional bat at an A's game cause they ran out. I didn't complain to the team about it.

The sad thing to me is that they are turning to marketing cigars in a way they mocked in the viral videos, especially with the 101 line of cigars and they way they jacked up their prices even before SCHIP. That's the legitimate stuff to complain about. But that said, I have many boxes of Camachos and will still continue to buy their product as they make a damned fine smoke.

El Fumador
11-04-2009, 04:34 AM
I have a question about camacho, does anybody remember the camacho's that came in a pyramid wood box, and you had to roll the cigar out of the box to get it out, and they had no labels on them, they were about eight bucks a stick. Does anybody remember what they were called.

weak_link
11-04-2009, 07:29 AM

I never got mine either, but who gives a rat's ass. Like Bob I never got my Gurkha swag either. Or some free Montecristo I emailed for a couple years ago. I thought their attempt at viral marketing went pretty well, except for demand being more than expected. Hey, sh*t happens. I once didn't get my promotional bat at an A's game cause they ran out. I didn't complain to the team about it.

The sad thing to me is that they are turning to marketing cigars in a way they mocked in the viral videos, especially with the 101 line of cigars and they way they jacked up their prices even before SCHIP. That's the legitimate stuff to complain about. But that said, I have many boxes of Camachos and will still continue to buy their product as they make a damned fine smoke.

What Steve said. Getting this upset about not getting your free cigars is comedy gold.

I think I'll pick up a box of Camacho SLR Maduro's this week just to support this fine cigar manufacturer.

bigheadmark
11-04-2009, 07:33 AM
What Steve said. Getting this upset about not getting your free cigars is comedy gold.

I think I'll pick up a box of Camacho SLR Maduro's this week just to support this fine cigar manufacturer.

I have not tried the SLR...I have only smoked the Havana ones, which btw were spectacular....
How do the SLR compare to the havanas?

weak_link
11-04-2009, 07:41 AM
I have not tried the SLR...I have only smoked the Havana ones, which btw were spectacular....
How do the SLR compare to the havanas?

It's a heavy maduro with tons of smoke. Nice spice but not overwhelming while still retaining some of the typical maduro sweetness.

The triple maduro is also a great smoke but the Corojo is my favorite.

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 08:30 AM
Ratters, the 101's are $7-$9...

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 08:31 AM
Those were the old Diploma's. Believe it or not, Bonita Smoke Shoppe still has a few of those boxes intact and for sale. Those suckers have about 6 years of age on them and are delightful!

I have a question about camacho, does anybody remember the camacho's that came in a pyramid wood box, and you had to roll the cigar out of the box to get it out, and they had no labels on them, they were about eight bucks a stick. Does anybody remember what they were called.

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Comparing the SLR and Havana is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are completely different smokes... I favor the SLR over the Havana's

icantbejon
11-04-2009, 08:46 AM
I have a few corojo's with about 5 years on them and they are stellar. One of the smoothest smokes I've had. I really enjoy them. I have a 10th anniversary in my humi now that I'm going to let sit for quite a while in order to try and achieve the same affect.

Ratters
11-04-2009, 08:57 AM
Ratters, the 101's are $7-$9...

Not complaining about the price of the 101 Dylan, just the marketing. The price of the regular ones jumped quite a bit last year, but you guys aren't the only ones who did that, so did Joya de Nicaragua, my other regular smoke.

As I posted before, I'm a huge fan of Camachos. I could stack the empty boxes in my house probably pretty close to the ceiling, let alone the boxes in the tower and cooler. Just the current marketing is reminding me too much of Cigar Afficianado and Puff.com.

Ratters
11-04-2009, 08:59 AM

Oh man, those old Diplomas where freakin awesome cigars. The current ones are good, but those old ones were something special.

Slavac
11-04-2009, 09:09 AM
Oh my god! A company didn't give me my free cigars! How dare they try to substitute another free cigar for the one I paid so much...erm...

The Fskers!

OP be less butthurt. You're the very pinnacle of the age of entitlement.

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Nothing like them in the world!

Not sure about what you are saying regarding the marketing. How does it compare to cA and Puff?

Many do not understand the Room101 brand just yet, the brand is still new and the story will not be clear until the tour starts and people can experience the whole thing first hand. It's a complex fraternity that happens to make products, have you visited the site? To me, Room101 is an brand founded on originality and that goes for the cigar as well. Many of the brands out there today, successful or not, are copies or takeoffs of things from other industries. Room101 is an extension of an original jewelry brand. Read up on it, it's not called the Conspiracy for nothing.

Prices went up across the board for 99% of the manufacturers. Our price increase are never more that 5 cents a cigar, and if we increase, it's only 1 time a year. It may be the retailer or state taxes + SCHIP that made you think we increased prices.

Oh man, those old Diplomas where freakin awesome cigars. The current ones are good, but those old ones were something special.

dannysguitar
11-04-2009, 09:29 AM

Is it really free if you have to watch a series of videos?

I'll give you 2 "free" tickets to Disneyland, all you have to do it sit through my 2 hour timeshare presentation...

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 09:33 AM
For any interested in info about Room101 or Matt Booth, here is a good place to start: http://www.room101cigars.com/category/video/

Don Fernando
11-04-2009, 09:47 AM
Is it really free if you have to watch a series of videos?

Yes, it is still free

I'll give you 2 "free" tickets to Disneyland, all you have to do it sit through my 2 hour timeshare presentation...

If you include my flights we have a deal :ss

Don Fernando
11-04-2009, 09:49 AM
Black band cigar A (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24164)

Black band cigar B (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24167)

Black band cigar C (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=24169)

Reviews off the cigars.

dannysguitar
11-04-2009, 10:04 AM
Yes, it is still free

If you include my flights we have a deal :ss

You proved my point. You don't barter for free stuff :-)

Don Fernando
11-04-2009, 10:31 AM
I didn't prove your point Danny, you just gave a bad example. You don't have to make costs to watch the vids and get the cigars, but I have to make (a lot of) costs to get to Disneyland, flights are expensive.

bobarian
11-04-2009, 11:12 AM
FTC GUIDE CONCERNING USE OF THE WORD ``FREE''
AND SIMILAR REPRESENTATIONS

§251.1 The guide.

(a) General. (1) The offer of ``Free'' merchandise or service is a promotional device frequently used to attract customers. Providing such merchandise or service with the purchase of some other article or service has often been found to be a useful and valuable marketing tool.

(2) Because the purchasing public continually searches for the best buy, and regards the offer of ``Free'' merchandise or service to be a special bargain, all such offers must be made with extreme care so as to avoid any possibility that consumers will be misled or deceived.

Click on this link if you want further clarification. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/free.htm

Camacho's use and the timeshare example both fall under the FTC's guidelines for the usage of the term "Free":rolleyes:

T.G
11-04-2009, 11:35 AM
This thread is really getting silly...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the matter.

weak_link
11-04-2009, 12:02 PM
Comparing the SLR and Havana is like comparing apples to oranges. Both are completely different smokes... I favor the SLR over the Havana's

I wasn't comparing the SLR to the Havana. Don't actually care for the Havana much.

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Sorry, that comment was directed at bigheadmark

bigheadmark
11-04-2009, 01:24 PM
For any interested in info about Room101 or Matt Booth, here is a good place to start: http://www.room101cigars.com/category/video/

so the official launch of the cigars is in December at the Cigar oasis?

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 02:19 PM
Yes, it will be the official launch at Cigar Oasis. The first launch party was Oct. 1 in Los Angeles.

so the official launch of the cigars is in December at the Cigar oasis?

ade06
11-04-2009, 02:39 PM
FTC GUIDE CONCERNING USE OF THE WORD ``FREE''
AND SIMILAR REPRESENTATIONS

§251.1 The guide.

(a) General. (1) The offer of ``Free'' merchandise or service is a promotional device frequently used to attract customers. Providing such merchandise or service with the purchase of some other article or service has often been found to be a useful and valuable marketing tool.

(2) Because the purchasing public continually searches for the best buy, and regards the offer of ``Free'' merchandise or service to be a special bargain, all such offers must be made with extreme care so as to avoid any possibility that consumers will be misled or deceived.

Click on this link if you want further clarification. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/guides/free.htm

Camacho's use and the timeshare example both fall under the FTC's guidelines for the usage of the term "Free":rolleyes:

:tpd: I've even seen legal actions arising out of a marketer's failure to comply with the FTC's Mail Order Rule/ 30-day Rule (even for "free" items). See http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus02.shtm for more legal fun. Bottom line is that marketers of "free" items are still legally responsible to consumers for the delivery of the "free" items within the terms and conditions of their promotion (of course there are plenty of exceptions, like for example a consumer not meeting all of the terms and conditions of the promotions, etc.).

El Fumador
11-04-2009, 06:58 PM
Those were the old Diploma's. Believe it or not, Bonita Smoke Shoppe still has a few of those boxes intact and for sale. Those suckers have about 6 years of age on them and are delightful!

Thanks Daustin, totally forgot what those were called. Those diploma's were really good, do you know were there are any olivia cloth bands (red or blue).

Ratters
11-04-2009, 07:14 PM
I wasn't comparing the SLR to the Havana. Don't actually care for the Havana much.

The newer Havanas are actually pretty good.

Dylan, the CA/Puff thing is that I feel the marketing for the 101 is very much style over substance, though I've heard very good things about the smoke itself. I was given a pre-release I'm looking forward to trying.

My only other complaint is that they give no support to shops around me in the SF bay area. When I talk to shop owners about why they don't carry Camacho they basically say they don't sell well and don't get support. But when weak link got his shop to carry them they sold well. But I can't remember the last time there was a Camacho event around here. That's kinda depressing because I really believe they are great smokes.

alley00p
11-04-2009, 09:15 PM
Well, since I sat here and read through this whole thread, I decided I would put my :2 in to the mix too!

First of all, I wrote off the whole "Black Band Project" a long ago. I figured that if the cigars showed up, I'd try 'em out. Since they never did, Oh Well.

I'm constantly being surprised when a box shows up in the mail, from some offer I put in for, and totally forgot about! When it does, I thankfully try the product, and, if I like it, I buy more.

But, if I don't receive it... I move on! Life is way too short to worry about the small stuff! :D

BTW, Nice reviews, Ferdie! I'll have to try one of them "C" cigars, when they finally show up locally! :tu

:dance:

Daustin333
11-04-2009, 11:10 PM
The newer Havanas are actually pretty good.

Dylan, the CA/Puff thing is that I feel the marketing for the 101 is very much style over substance, though I've heard very good things about the smoke itself. I was given a pre-release I'm looking forward to trying.

My only other complaint is that they give no support to shops around me in the SF bay area. When I talk to shop owners about why they don't carry Camacho they basically say they don't sell well and don't get support. But when weak link got his shop to carry them they sold well. But I can't remember the last time there was a Camacho event around here. That's kinda depressing because I really believe they are great smokes.

Thanks for your note.

The beauty of Room101 is that the substance actually generated the style, if you watch the videos you'll see what I mean. The brand in itself is tough to digest for some, simply because of it's complexity. When I discovered this brand in Vegas a few years back, I was immediately moved by the followers, or Conspiracy. The people that really got it, the people that lived the brand, the pride that they had being a part of this movement. I was immediately enamored and I wanted to know more about this global fraternity of conspirators.

Room101 is a lifestyle, a lifestyle that breaks the mold and trailblazers it's own path, not a brand that follows trends or succumbs to the pompous nature of over commercialized ****. Room101 is about me and what I want, a custom line of products created to my liking and identify with how I want myself to be represented. I was a customer of Matt Booth's long before I was a business associate and I was bitten by the bug. To break it down a little easier, Room101 is like a "Skull 'N Bones" type of organization, a fraternal order. One example, I was in Santa Rosa and I happened to be at an event where Guy Fieri was. We were introduced and the first thing he did was look down at my hand and said, "Matt Booth?", I said indeed. A few hours later, I was having dinner at his house with his family like we were old time pals. He recognized I was part of this brotherhood and we've been friends ever since. This is just one account, there are plenty others. The cigar brand is an extension of this into a different arena.

I could ramble on and on, and I may have confused the living hell out of alot you. However, Room101 is something that must be experienced first-hand, whether it's at an in-store event or by you coming to our bi-annual party in Vegas (Mid-February, all are invited if you can make it out). You'll get it sooner or later.

There is a great feature coming out in the new Cigar Snob magazine, it is from an outsiders perspective and how they came to understand what Room101 was all about.

In regard to No Cal, I know! Our guy in Cali has a lot of ground to cover and does not do many events. However, next time I'm in town we'll get together for a smoke.

Ratters
11-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Ok Dylan, keep me posted when you head out this way. :ss

Savor the Stick
11-05-2009, 11:53 PM
Hello fellows...I won't be complaining about free cigars( if I ever get them). To me this was never about free anything! It was a contract between them (Comacho) and me. I watch their skits and would receive 3 cigars to try. Never got the cigars though I watched their skits and enjoyed them for the most part.
never got the promised cigars--broken contract (their broken word.)

I was told in an email that cirgars would start shipping in May.....to make a long story short...I grew up feeling that a person's word meant a lot, and you don't give it, if you can't, or might not be able to keep it.
How is a man's(woman's) reputation built? By keeping their word over and over and over.....EVEN if it ends up costing you.
This is about reputation, commitment, honor, truth, integrity, principle reliability obligation-- look at the synonyms for these words and understand a little better why some are a little miffed.
So now the "Room 101" cigars are not honored.
That's my 2 cents and I feel better now. :D

Cheers,

Dylan@Camacho

Dylan you and your company did it to yourself. But maybe you can't understand it.:confused:

Ahbroody
11-06-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks for your note.

The beauty of Room101 is that the substance actually generated the style, if you watch the videos you'll see what I mean. The brand in itself is tough to digest for some, simply because of it's complexity. When I discovered this brand in Vegas a few years back, I was immediately moved by the followers, or Conspiracy. The people that really got it, the people that lived the brand, the pride that they had being a part of this movement. I was immediately enamored and I wanted to know more about this global fraternity of conspirators.

Room101 is a lifestyle, a lifestyle that breaks the mold and trailblazers it's own path, not a brand that follows trends or succumbs to the pompous nature of over commercialized ****. Room101 is about me and what I want, a custom line of products created to my liking and identify with how I want myself to be represented. I was a customer of Matt Booth's long before I was a business associate and I was bitten by the bug. To break it down a little easier, Room101 is like a "Skull 'N Bones" type of organization, a fraternal order. One example, I was in Santa Rosa and I happened to be at an event where Guy Fieri was. We were introduced and the first thing he did was look down at my hand and said, "Matt Booth?", I said indeed. A few hours later, I was having dinner at his house with his family like we were old time pals. He recognized I was part of this brotherhood and we've been friends ever since. This is just one account, there are plenty others. The cigar brand is an extension of this into a different arena.

I could ramble on and on, and I may have confused the living hell out of alot you. However, Room101 is something that must be experienced first-hand, whether it's at an in-store event or by you coming to our bi-annual party in Vegas (Mid-February, all are invited if you can make it out). You'll get it sooner or later.

There is a great feature coming out in the new Cigar Snob magazine, it is from an outsiders perspective and how they came to understand what Room101 was all about.

In regard to No Cal, I know! Our guy in Cali has a lot of ground to cover and does not do many events. However, next time I'm in town we'll get together for a smoke.

I saw this video and pretty much said WTF is this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEW9dqFbl8w
So uhhhhhh are you saying your like a new style masons group?
I guess I am confued I thought this was about cigars, yet this whole thing looks like MMA Vegas guy meets cigar.

weak_link
11-06-2009, 09:39 AM
I guess I am confued I thought this was about cigars, yet this whole thing looks like MMA Vegas guy meets cigar.

I actually like his character rings but starting around $1000 a pop they are out of my comfort range. That's a lot of cigars.

Skywalker
11-19-2009, 07:28 AM
This thread is really getting silly...

Everyone is entitled to their opinions on the matter.

Gawd!!! "You're the very pinnacle of the age of entitlement!!!"

That's what's wrong with you!!!:r

BTW - I think this whole thing should be sent to the joke section of the Board!!!:r

T.G
11-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Gawd!!! "You're the very pinnacle of the age of entitlement!!!"

That's what's wrong with you!!!:r

BTW - I think this whole thing should be sent to the joke section of the Board!!!:r

I think you have that wrong. It's more like I'm at the age where I've been enlightened by way too many bottles of Pinnacle (and Stoli, and JW, and JB and....)

Adriftpanda
11-19-2009, 08:44 AM

Haha I couldn't agree with you more. Just watched the video and I had no idea what was going on. What does Doug E Fresh know about cigars? I guess I am just not cool enough.

Skywalker
11-19-2009, 09:04 AM
Haha I couldn't agree with you more. Just watched the video and I had no idea what was going on. What does Doug E Fresh know about cigars? I guess I am just not cool enough.

Now if someone was really smart and cool they would develop a BABOTL Blend!!!

That blend would be stronger and more flavorful than the Masshole Blend!!!:r

BTW - Sorry for the threadjack! That's what BABOTL are good at!!!

T.G
11-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Now if someone was really smart and cool they would develop a BABOTL Blend!!!

That blend would be stronger and more flavorful than the Masshole Blend!!!:r

BTW - Sorry for the threadjack! That's what BABOTL are good at!!!

Don't forget the line of jewelry to go with it. :rolleyes:

tobii3
11-19-2009, 09:09 AM
wait...a Bay Area Blend??

The opportunity for a joke.....ENDLESS....

Skywalker
11-19-2009, 09:21 AM
wait...a Bay Area Blend??

The opportunity for a joke.....ENDLESS....

Glad I could help!!!;)

tobii3
11-19-2009, 09:32 AM
....they way they jacked up their prices even before SCHIP.

Try not to forget what happened last year.

As of October 1st, 2008, Camacho Cigars, based in Danli, Honduras and Miami, Florida will become a proud member of the Oettinger Davidoff Group based in Basel, Switzerland

Funny thing, the same thing happened to JdN when they were transferred over to Drew Estates as well.

Esteli, Nicaragua – Joya de Nicaragua S.A. (JdN), the makers of the venerable JOYA DE NICARAGUA® brand of premium handmade cigars, announced today that Drew Estate will replace SAG Imports as their new distributor for all the cigars it manufactures for import and sale within the United States.

Don't hate the guy at the bottom for something that was decided at the top.

csbrewfisher
11-19-2009, 09:57 AM

When I look at this video, it makes me want to run as fast in the other direction as I can. I can never have anything in common with this style of branding. If I had no notion that it was Camacho, I would guess It was a party promoting Acids.

akumushi
11-19-2009, 11:49 AM
I avoided this whole thing from the start because I tend to get nauseated by that kind of marketing (I am not what you would call the ideal demographic for the Black Band Project or Room 101) and I knew that even if I did get a freebie out of the watching the videos (I watched one and was turned off from the whole project) then the marketers of the Black Band Project would have my e-mail, my mailing address and it just be one more source of potential spam.

Until I finally put my foot down and told her no more, my wife was the queen of going for the "FREE" gas card, trip to Vegas etc, and as a result of her gullibility about these offers we have had a lot of spamming of our e-mails, mail, and even worse, a couple instances of the marketers trying to charge our credit card accounts for services we had cancelled after the "FREE" trial expired. We had to haggle repeatedly because they kept "forgetting" that we had cancelled our membership and they were charging us month after month.

Daustin, this is the day and age we live in: a time of spam and scam. Don't get me wrong, in I am not blaming Camacho or Room 101 project for intentionally doing anything like that. Any failure on their part is most likely due to poor execution. I am simply pointing out that that is the climate of our times. There are a million instances of the "Nigerian Prince" phishing for our info, or the Kevin Trudeaus of the word selling desperate people books to cure serious illness with blueberries.

So, in this day and age, the challenge for the Camacho’s Black Band Project or any similar marketing strategy is this: if you do not fulfill your promise of giving free cigars to the participants in your promotion, even if it is only 5% of the total, then you put your reputation at stake, because in the eyes of those people you have crossed the line between being clever marketers and have stepped into the territory of creating a viral scam, albeit a mostly harmless and possibly entertaining one in this case. If you do not fulfill your obligation 100%, you will make the impression that you are scammers, and that is why a handful of people are so angry. They gave you their information, they watched your videos, they trusted you, and now they expect you to live up to your word. It's about integrity, business practice and reputation. If Camacho’s Room 101 cigars really are about a lifestyle, an attitude and brotherhood, failing to honor your word on your first impression for most of us is a hell of a way to get that across.

csbrewfisher
11-19-2009, 11:56 AM
Well said Clayton.

Savor the Stick
11-19-2009, 12:18 PM
I avoided this whole thing from the start because I tend to get nauseated by that kind of marketing (I am not what you would call the ideal demographic for the Black Band Project or Room 101) and I knew that even if I did get a freebie out of the watching the videos (I watched one and was turned off from the whole project) then the marketers of the Black Band Project would have my e-mail, my mailing address and it just be one more source of potential spam.

Until I finally put my foot down and told her no more, my wife was the queen of going for the "FREE" gas card, trip to Vegas etc, and as a result of her gullibility about these offers we have had a lot of spamming of our e-mails, mail, and even worse, a couple instances of the marketers trying to charge our credit card accounts for services we had cancelled after the "FREE" trial expired. We had to haggle repeatedly because they kept "forgetting" that we had cancelled our membership and they were charging us month after month.

Daustin, this is the day and age we live in: a time of spam and scam. Don't get me wrong, in I am not blaming Camacho or Room 101 project for intentionally doing anything like that. Any failure on their part is most likely due to poor execution. I am simply pointing out that that is the climate of our times. There are a million instances of the "Nigerian Prince" phishing for our info, or the Kevin Trudeaus of the word selling desperate people books to cure serious illness with blueberries.

So, in this day and age, the challenge for the Camacho’s Black Band Project or any similar marketing strategy is this: if you do not fulfill your promise of giving free cigars to the participants in your promotion, even if it is only 5% of the total, then you put your reputation at stake, because in the eyes of those people you have crossed the line between being clever marketers and have stepped into the territory of creating a viral scam, albeit a mostly harmless and possibly entertaining one in this case. If you do not fulfill your obligation 100%, you will make the impression that you are scammers, and that is why a handful of people are so angry. They gave you their information, they watched your videos, they trusted you, and now they expect you to live up to your word. It's about integrity, business practice and reputation. If Camacho’s Room 101 cigars really are about a lifestyle, an attitude and brotherhood, failing to honor your word on your first impression for most of us is a hell of a way to get that across.

+1

tobii3
11-19-2009, 12:59 PM
No, the problem is NOT that we live in a world of ""scam and spam", we live in a world where the younger generation stands there with their hand out expecting something for nothing.

Then when they get nothing, they piss, b*tch, whine, moan and complain.

""Well, I am here, you're supposed to give me something""

akumushi
11-19-2009, 02:09 PM
No, the problem is NOT that we live in a world of ""scam and spam", we live in a world where the younger generation stands there with their hand out expecting something for nothing.

Then when they get nothing, they piss, b*tch, whine, moan and complain.

""Well, I am here, you're supposed to give me something""

So are you saying that there isn't rampant spamming and criminal scamming out there right now? All those investors with Bernie Madoff and hard working people whose 401Ks disappeared because hedge fund managers were short selling mortgage backed derivatives are just b!tching and moaning and waiting for a handout? What world do you live in?

vankleekkw
11-19-2009, 03:26 PM
I haven't posted from the beginning because I am very disappointed with the attacks on fellow BOTL because of my post. Certain people obviously didn't read the entire post, because it was never about FREE anything. My entire issue with Camacho cigars has to do with Poor Business.

Dylan is not some hero for handing out free cigars. He is a marketing employee for Camacho cigars. It would be the same thing as getting a coupon for breakfast cerael and the store not honoring the coupon. It is a MARKETING campaign. Camacho did not give out free cigars for the Brotherhood. They handed them out to get you to buy more of their product. It is marketing 101.

To call people names and delete items because people call you out on running a poor marketing campaign is just childish. Give up on the entitlement speach because it is old. I am not entiltled to crap. I don't go looking for a handout. I don't give a crap about the cigars. I think that Camacho and specifically Dylan ran a piss poor campaign and think that he needs to step up to the podium and finally admit it. Be a big enough Businessman to take your lumps for screwing up without resorting to adolescence taktics.

tobii3
11-19-2009, 03:46 PM
So are you saying that there isn't rampant spamming and criminal scamming out there right now? All those investors with Bernie Madoff and hard working people whose 401Ks disappeared because hedge fund managers were short selling mortgage backed derivatives are just b!tching and moaning and waiting for a handout? What world do you live in?

you want to talk Business 101??

You ""invest"" in something that isn't physically there. Hmmm....what's that called again...NOTHING. Now, you throw THOUSANDS of dollars at it with the HOPE that you will make MILLIONS from it.

Hmmm...you want SOMETHING....from NOTHING.

akumushi
11-19-2009, 04:02 PM
you want to talk Business 101??

You ""invest"" in something that isn't physically there. Hmmm....what's that called again...NOTHING. Now, you throw THOUSANDS of dollars at it with the HOPE that you will make MILLIONS from it.

Hmmm...you want SOMETHING....from NOTHING.

As for the so called short selling mortgages, do you even have a Mortgage of which to even base any experience on??

The 401Ks lost by hard working Americans were heavily invested in mutual funds that were unscrupulously opaque and designed to look like solid, low risk investments, while they were in fact loaded with hot air. It is the greedy executives that were milking money out of nothing that deserve our ire, and not the working class investor, who was doing what had for years been considered gospel as the proper way to invest; "put your money in a diversified mutual fund that is well managed and it will slowly grow." Clearly, if you think that when a hedge fund short sells mortage backed derivatives, it has anything to do with me going to my local bank for a mortage, or that said bank short selling a home that has been foreclosed, then you need to go back to Business 101 yourself.

Tio Gato
11-19-2009, 04:17 PM
Well said Clayton.

Wow, just found this tread (where have I've been?) and I gotta laugh.
These cigars are about a lifestyle? I wouldn't be caught dead at a Heavy Hitter/Camacho cigar event. Although I have a feeling that if I went, I may not fit in.:D

Time for Julio to have a chat with Christian.:2

Ahbroody
11-19-2009, 04:40 PM
This trainwreck needs to get locked down.

I dont really get why it is getting so personal. Everyone needs to put their flame throwers away. I am glad I didnt do the videos after seeing all this mess.

Sr Mike
11-19-2009, 04:44 PM
Tobii3, when are you going to post something of substance? Your posts have been negative, condescending, and insulting others. If you do not like what is here and cannot communicate constructively, how about not even viewing these threads, let alone participate?

bobarian
11-19-2009, 04:47 PM
My butt has that itch. :su

T.G
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
I love lamp.

akumushi
11-19-2009, 05:11 PM
Bob's butt has spoken. I shall walk away from this thread.:sad

tobii3
11-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Tobii3, when are you going to post something of substance?

As opposed to 6 months of immature, selfish little brats whining about not getting free cigars??

6 MONTHS.

We took Baghdad in 3 weeks. You're still crying over not getting FREE cigars after 6 months.

That enough substance?? Or do I need to point out your incessant whining in every post???

T.G
11-19-2009, 05:39 PM
As opposed to 6 months of immature, selfish little brats whining about not getting free cigars??

6 MONTHS.

We took Baghdad in 3 weeks. You're still crying over not getting FREE cigars after 6 months.

That enough substance?? Or do I need to point out your incessant whining in every post???

God damn you Walter! You ****in' asshole! Everything's a ****in' travesty with you, man! And what was all that **** about Vietnam? What the ****, has anything got to do with Vietnam? What the **** are you talking about?

ade06
11-19-2009, 07:20 PM

6 MONTHS.

Chill out! Agree to disagree, but you don't have personally insult people. That doesn't seem so mature. :td

Sr Mike
11-19-2009, 10:50 PM

6 MONTHS.

Personal attacks now towards me, whining about my whining? Last time I checked, we still have soldiers in Iraq, how many years has that been?

I like your signature too.