PDA

View Full Version : I need Honeymoon Ideas

Commander Quan
11-02-2009, 02:58 PM
I need some help here guys. I got engaged a year ago and am getting married in September. Almost everything is done with the planning and has actually been very low stress. The only thing that we can’t decide is where to go on a honeymoon.

What we would like is a week or 10 day long vacation to relax and enjoy each other. Optional activates and tours are fine as long as there is ample amount of down time.

We both like the idea of an all inclusive resort, just for that fact that we don’t have to worry about money and expenses while we are there. However, Kathryn isn’t a fan of buffets and is pretty neutral about the beach. If we were to go, I would like to be able to venture off the property without having to worry about being robbed/kidnapped and all that other fun stuff.

We though about a wine tasting trip, but I think this would get to be a little redundant after a couple days.

I though about New York City, maybe see a show, go to some museums and go out to some great restaurants, since we both like to dine. I’ve only been to NYC once and that was on a tour trip in high school. I have no idea how to get around in a city like that.

We’ve ruled out a cruse.

Any Ideas?

markem
11-02-2009, 03:06 PM
We like this place on Antiga. They have special cottages for people on honeymoons, or at least did last time we were there. The chef is very talented and whole place just oozes relaxation. Very private, you can't see any other resorts from it and lots of cool stuff to do on the island if you choose to leave the resort.

http://www.rexresorts.com/_caribbean/_antigua/_hawksbill_beach/index.html

ade06
11-02-2009, 03:08 PM
Go to the Big Island in Hawaii. There is so much to do, from vegging out at the beach/hotel, horseback riding, coffee/beer tours, take a helicopter ride over an active volcanos, tropical forests, great food ect. Bad part is that you may have a hard time finding an all inclusive. I would stay away from the Caribbean islands in September, due to the high probability of hurricanes. If hurricanes don't scare you off, you'll get some of the best rates in September (due to the possibilities of hurricanes). New York is fun for a few days, but I wouldn't go for 2 weeks, plus that would be very very expensive!

P.s. You would get around the NYC by trains and cabs. You would not want to rent a car there.

kelmac07
11-02-2009, 03:21 PM
Poconos In Pennsylvania is beautiful!!

ade06
11-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Poconos In Pennsylvania is beautiful!!

If you did PA, you could go to NYC for a week too.

Random Guy
11-02-2009, 03:31 PM
My wife and I went on an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon. We booked it through Norwegian Cruise Line. Lots of stuff to do. Or just hang out on the ship, there's lots of stuff to do there or just relax on the deck. Buffets are there, but also some sit-down restaurants that you need to make reservations for. We had a great time! The scenery is beautiful! You don't have to worry about getting off the ship and doing stuff, its safe. If you don't do it for your honeymoon, i would suggest going sometime. I would go back tomorrow if I could!

hotreds
11-02-2009, 04:05 PM
No cruise, no beach. My suggestion to you- since you're in Canton- would be to go to Ohio Amish Country. Great food, very idyllic, plenty to do or not do. An easy drive, won't cost an arm and a leg. Congratulations!

tobii3
11-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Very Simple.

Take separate ones.

That way you will ALWAYS have something to talk about.

jdakine
11-02-2009, 04:47 PM
Well I think Maui is one of the best in the world for Honeymoon places. Great resorts, food and Maui has just enough activities to keep you busy, but not to busy.
Good luck with your plans

madwilliamflint
11-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Tabacon in Costa Rica.

Natural hot springs waterfall at the base of an active volcano in the middle of NO place with a nice spa-ful resort attached.

It does NOT suck

http://www.tabacon.com/

dunng
11-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Maui! :tu

dogface_313
11-02-2009, 05:45 PM
I just got back from my honeymoon it was great. If you are looking towards going to NYC I have a suggestion. My wife and I stayed at a place called The Castle on the Hudson ( http://www.castleonthehudson.com/ ). It was excellent, old world feel, amazing customer service, room and grounds were exceptionally maintained. The on site restaurant Equus is a 4 Diamond award winner every year. It is located in a town called Tarrytown which by car is 30 minutes north of the city. the town next to it called Irvington has a train station that goes directly to NYC with trains every 25-20 minutes. I considered myself lucky to have stayed there, it was an amazing experience. I have a ton of pictures of the place if you would like to see.

s15driftking
11-02-2009, 05:46 PM
Sandals saint lucia!!!

Steve
11-02-2009, 06:11 PM
We like this place on Antiga. They have special cottages for people on honeymoons, or at least did last time we were there. The chef is very talented and whole place just oozes relaxation. Very private, you can't see any other resorts from it and lots of cool stuff to do on the island if you choose to leave the resort.

http://www.rexresorts.com/_caribbean/_antigua/_hawksbill_beach/index.html

Looks nice, but my wife would acuse me of going for the fishing :ss

1badhog07
11-02-2009, 07:34 PM
Took my wife too puerto rico,had a blast lots too do.the island is only about 90 miles long and about 23 miles wide.the food was great,so were the people,beaches,and the rain forest was awesome.

captain53
11-02-2009, 07:41 PM
OK without a beach need you ruled out most of my favorites but one option comes to mind since you mentioned wine. There are some Wine Train trips that are very romantic and really relaxing. Some of them are first class all the way too. Well worth consideration.:2

JE3146
11-02-2009, 09:19 PM
Check out Kauai.

We did a 2 week honeymoon there. Loved it. I can even refer you to a wonderfully inexpensive, but flat out fantastic bed and breakfast that will include practically any ammenity you could think of. Except obviously you'd have to take care of dinner and lunch. Kauai isn't terribly hot, and the sun comes in spurts, so it can be a gentle overcast and cool breeze one day, and warm and sunny the next.

Plenty of places to explore. Tons of hole in the wall places to eat that are fantastic, though not upscale, but definitely qualify as adventurous. Hardly at all touristy, and the locals are incredibly polite.

There are a number of activities on the island if you're into that sort of thing, but mostly just get out and about and see the scenery.

Feel free to PM me, I can give you any info you'd like about Kauai.

:tu

Adriftpanda
11-02-2009, 09:27 PM
Brazil or Thailand. I was there last year. Not for a honeymoon, just vacationing with the guys, those places are unreal. Cheap food,drinks, and entertainment. What more can you ask for?

yourchoice
11-02-2009, 10:25 PM
I've been to two Sandal's resorts, Antigua (for my honeymoon) and St. Lucia. Both were all-inclusive and the food was surprisingly good. Since you're not big beach people, neither may be for you. And if I recall correctly, trips into town were pretty lengthy rides.

I also was married in September, and my honeymoon was interrupted by a hurricane (Hurricane Georges). Fortunately, we were able to get on a flight out before the storm hit the island. At the time (they still may) Sandals had Hurricane Insurance as part of their package. St. Lucia was our "replacement" vacation, even though our honeymoon was only shortened by one day. 13 days in the Caribbean for the price of seven was pretty cool! We met some people in St. Lucia that were there for their replacement vacation as well, but they didn't get off the island before the storm. Their experience was not as favorable.

I've visited the Poconos in PA a couple of times and each time am surprised how much I enjoy it. It may be that I live too close to appreciate it. :r

cbsmokin
11-03-2009, 07:43 AM
This would be unreal:

http://www.orient-express.com/collection/trains/trains.jsp

I'm afraid it has some pretty unreal price tags as well.

Commander Quan
11-03-2009, 07:52 AM
Lots of good ideas here guys I appreciate all of them. The train thing is something we would like to do someday, as well as the Alaskan cruse, but not right now.

We're getting married in PA about an hour north of Pittsburgh so a couple days in the Poconos and then driving up to NYC would work out well. Dogface, Kathryn loved the Castle on the Hudson,

mosesbotbol
11-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Montreal.

September is still nice out. You get the shopping and food of NYC, Habanos, culture, and it seems foreign to most with all French and French influence.

Commander Quan
03-29-2010, 12:24 PM
Just an update.

Over the weekend we finally decided on the Iberostar Grand Hotel Bavaro in Punta Cana. It's a 2 year old resort and from everything I have read it is awesome. Ironically he we had dinner with some friends over the weekend who had honeymooned last summer at one of the other Iberostar resorts on the same property and they said that Grand Hotel was they nicest they ever saw, so I'm pretty happy with our decision.

Cyclone
03-29-2010, 12:36 PM
Cuba? :D

Commander Quan
03-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Cuba? :D

I held out as long as I could in the hopes that the travel ban would be lifted, unfortunately Kathryn wasn't as hopeful as I was.

Cyclone
03-29-2010, 12:54 PM
I held out as long as I could in the hopes that the travel ban would be lifted, unfortunately Kathryn wasn't as hopeful as I was.

Yeah.. my response was "tongue-in-cheek"...

Saw your response about the Iberostar... we stayed in an Iberostar in Varadero on our honeymoon... after a week in Havana...

Great hotel... My brother stayed in a new one in Varadero last year and raved about it. Iberostar is a great hotel chain.

Best wishes for the wedding and a safe ( and fun ) honeymoon.

bscottskangum
03-29-2010, 02:05 PM
My honeymoon was spent in the White Mountains in NH, we went in the middle of August. Absolutely gorgeous and perfectly serene. Would have been the most relaxing week of my life, had I been alone :D