PDA

View Full Version : Cubao Maduro

kaisersozei
11-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Wrapper/Filler/Binder: Ecuadorian broadleaf/Nic/Nic
Vitola: Belicoso (5˝ x 52)
B&M Price: $9/single

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/kaisersozei/Reviews/CubaoMaduro/cubao1.jpg

The Cubao Maduro is one of EO Brand’s newest releases. It is blended by DPG and said to have the same filler & binder as the original Cubao, but with an Ecuadorian broadleaf maduro wrapper instead of the Ecuadorian Sumatra. I smoked a few of these over the past week, and made it my “CA’lloween cigar” this Saturday, worthy of a review.

Appearance/Construction
Very oily wrapper, well rolled, firm but with no hard spots, well bunched tobacco. Perfect amount of resistance on the draw, lots of smoke, straight burn that only required one touch-up. Ash held together nicely, producing a bright red cone when it dropped. Overall a very well constructed stick.

Flavor
This had probably the richest pre-light flavors I’ve ever pulled through a cigar: earth, leather and heavy chocolate. Right after torching it up I was greeted with an interesting blend of wet-leaf earthiness and toast, with some dark chocolate thrown in. Just a hint of pepper in the first few puffs, that disappeared until the later stage of the cigar. Ash dropped after about 1˝” and the cigar picked up a bitter twang & a citrus-like fruitiness. The combination reminded me of eating an orange slice that has too much of that white pithy stuff on it. Not exactly what it tasted like, but what it reminded me of. Still consistently earthy. The finish was sweet & spicy—not peppery, more holiday-like: cinnamon and nutmeg.

The pay-off on this was in the last 1-2”, which was the most complex part of the cigar. The spice picked up and the pepper was added back to the mix. Each draw brought a nice mixture of hot cocoa, a raisin fruitiness typical to most maduros, spice, pepper and that underlying earthiness. Unfortunately that bitterness lingered in the last half of the smoke, which might be cured by some time in the humidor.

http://i262.photobucket.com/albums/ii88/kaisersozei/Reviews/CubaoMaduro/cubao4.jpg
My Cigar Asylum Pumpkin Buddy kept me company.

Overall
I checked my notes on the original Cubao, and found the two share some of the same flavor characteristics. It was not as rich a maduro as EO’s 601 Blue, more in line with a Padron x000 Maduro series. Listed as full-bodied, I found that it tended more toward medium in both body and strength. I’m a fan of the Ecuadorian Sumatra wrapper, so I prefer the Cubao to the Cubao Maduro. This was still a very good cigar that I would gladly smoke again, and would recommend to all my maduro buddies.

Zanaspus
11-02-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the review. Sounds yummy. Another must-try. :tu

Blindjimme
11-02-2009, 02:47 PM
Note to self: Must get Cubao Maduro.

kelmac07
11-02-2009, 02:59 PM
Great review Gerard!! I have a few sitting in the humi now. :tu

JohnnyKay5
11-02-2009, 03:01 PM
i confirm, tasty smoke

Starscream
11-02-2009, 03:48 PM
I like the jack-o-lantern in the background for this review.

Kreth
11-02-2009, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the review. I liked the Sumatra. I'll have to try these.
Posted via Mobile Device

longknocker
11-02-2009, 04:36 PM
Have A 5'er on Order. Nice Review & Comparison Between The 2!:tu

duckmanco
11-03-2009, 12:04 AM
Nice review, and I found the same things you did although I noticed that the pepper on the maduro blend felt harsh on the back of the throat, whereas the pepper on the EcSu wrapped just stayed on the palate and tongue. The EcSu blend just came out on top for me also.

Pat1075
11-03-2009, 12:23 AM
The EcSu blend just came out on top for me also.

:tpd:
Thank you for the review. I'm with you guys Cubao original is the better of the two.

Azpostal
11-03-2009, 01:09 AM
Thanks for the review.

Veritas
11-03-2009, 03:18 AM
Note to self: Must get Cubao Maduro.
Note to self: Do what JB is doing.

BlackIrish
11-03-2009, 07:54 AM
Great review and spooky pics, Gerard. Have a 5'er on the way from a deal with the devil, and I'm looking forward to comparing them to the original.

Mr B
11-03-2009, 11:00 AM
Nice Review. I am going to have to get a couple to try.

roughrider
11-03-2009, 12:23 PM
The regular Cubao is among my favorites. This maduro is on my list of must-try.

kaisersozei
11-03-2009, 05:26 PM
Nice review, and I found the same things you did although I noticed that the pepper on the maduro blend felt harsh on the back of the throat, whereas the pepper on the EcSu wrapped just stayed on the palate and tongue. The EcSu blend just came out on top for me also.

Yep, that's exactly where the pepper got me, too.