PDA

View Full Version : What caused this weird burn? (Pics)

Slavac
11-01-2009, 04:48 PM
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/015-15.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/016-13.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/017-12.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/019-10.jpg
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b182/allusakid/020-9.jpg

First time I've ran across something like this. Help a brother out!

RightAJ
11-01-2009, 05:02 PM
Had this happen before too...

Humidity problems?? Maybe dry box before smoking. If that's not it, could just be a bad roll on that particular stick

aj

sikk50
11-01-2009, 05:05 PM
It's called canoe'ing, basicly the best idea would be to check humidity issues. However I'm sure there can be other factors involved sometimes

Slavac
11-01-2009, 05:08 PM
It's called canoe'ing, basicly the best idea would be to check humidity issues. However I'm sure there can be other factors involved sometimes

But there was a hole in it. Went about 1.5mm down into the cigar. I don't think beetles are the issue.

markem
11-01-2009, 05:12 PM
Were you smoking outside? Temp and room/area humidity along with speed of smoking matter.

Slavac
11-01-2009, 05:13 PM
Were you smoking outside? Temp and room/area humidity along with speed of smoking matter.

Outside, 60deg night with no wind.

markem
11-01-2009, 05:15 PM
Outside, 60deg night with no wind.

Ah ha! Smoke a little slower, smaller puffs and rotate the cigar about 90 degrees between puffs

sikk50
11-01-2009, 05:16 PM
I would venture to say the roller messed up a tad and didn't pack enough filler in that area, causing the hole obviously, but also causing that side of the cigar to burn extra fast/hot. That would be my uneducated guess assuming you've ruled out both humidity and beetles

Slavac
11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I would venture to say the roller messed up a tad and didn't pack enough filler in that area, causing the hole obviously, but also causing that side of the cigar to burn extra fast/hot. That would be my uneducated guess assuming you've ruled out both humidity and beetles

I'm still a noob by all means, but the cigar was properly humidified at 65% thanks to heartfelt beads and my coolerdor. I've just never seen a hole rapidly appear under the wrapper.

CigarNut
11-01-2009, 05:18 PM
Thanks for bringing this up -- I had the same thing happen to me today when I smoked a cigar outside. It is was 60 degrees and much more humid (90%) outside here (in Oregon), so based on what Markm said, I am guessing that the difference in humidity and temperature were the cause.

neoflex
11-01-2009, 05:38 PM
This also tends to happen when smoking in the car but like markem mentioned rotating tends to fix it in this scenario. In your case it just seems like it may have been a poor roll. It happens, it's a product made completely by hand. May have been the last stick the roller had left on a Friday afternoon.:D Sometimes my sticks that sit on top in a shelf in my cabinet will sometimes do this as I rarely rotate my sticks in the cab. I think the tops may be more moist than the bottoms resting on the sticks below it. I could also just be nuts! HA!:r
Did you try touching it up at all or did you just try and see if it ould correct itself on it's own?

markem
11-01-2009, 05:46 PM
Thanks for bringing this up -- I had the same thing happen to me today when I smoked a cigar outside. It is was 60 degrees and much more humid (90%) outside here (in Oregon), so based on what Markm said, I am guessing that the difference in humidity and temperature were the cause.

Weird, the high humidity for my area (close to you) is 61% for today.

Slavac
11-01-2009, 06:06 PM
This also tends to happen when smoking in the car but like markem mentioned rotating tends to fix it in this scenario. In your case it just seems like it may have been a poor roll. It happens, it's a product made completely by hand. May have been the last stick the roller had left on a Friday afternoon.:D Sometimes my sticks that sit on top in a shelf in my cabinet will sometimes do this as I rarely rotate my sticks in the cab. I think the tops may be more moist than the bottoms resting on the sticks below it. I could also just be nuts! HA!:r
Did you try touching it up at all or did you just try and see if it ould correct itself on it's own?

It corrected itself shortly thereafter, but the part that miffs me is that there was almost a perfect hole in the cigar. Sort of weird huh :P

Scottw
11-01-2009, 08:18 PM
if you used a blue flame lighter, is it possible you directed the flame directly into the foot perhaps scorching the tobacco from the inside out?

elderboy02
11-01-2009, 08:29 PM
What cigar was it?

IIRC, it is possible that if too much ligero is rolled on one side that it would burn un-evenly b/c ligero burns slower.

massphatness
11-01-2009, 08:53 PM
It corrected itself shortly thereafter, but the part that miffs me is that there was almost a perfect hole in the cigar. Sort of weird huh :P

FWIW, I sometimes see this my cigars. From my experience, the "hole" does not cause the canoeing affect. I have no idea what it is, but I do know I see it too frequently to think there may be something wrong.

Slavac
11-01-2009, 08:53 PM
if you used a blue flame lighter, is it possible you directed the flame directly into the foot perhaps scorching the tobacco from the inside out?

Perhaps, but this was about 2" from the foot.

And I'm not sure what the cigar was, it was apart of a BTT.

El Fumador
11-01-2009, 09:07 PM
It's a bad roll, sometimes there's a stem that's not supposed to be in the filler. And it runs on you from the inside, I just light the other part of the cigar to even it out. Sometimes cigars run on you, it's just part of the game. The construction of the cigar is not easy, it take's a master.

CigarNut
11-02-2009, 11:44 AM
Weird, the high humidity for my area (close to you) is 61% for today.Just going by what my Oregon Scientific Weather Station reported... Maybe I need to get it checked...

roughrider
11-02-2009, 11:53 AM
It most likely has to do with a sudden change in humidity or mistake on the roller's part.

markem
11-02-2009, 12:04 PM
Just going by what my Oregon Scientific Weather Station reported... Maybe I need to get it checked...

I believe the number. This time of year the humidity varies greatly across even small distances here. We had sunshine and a light wind, so that could easily explain the difference. We have a whole mountain between you and me.

Zanaspus
11-02-2009, 12:48 PM

:tpd:

jbo57
11-02-2009, 01:06 PM
I've had this problem happen and it always happens because I was smoking too fast.

CigarNut
11-03-2009, 10:44 AM
I've had this problem happen and it always happens because I was smoking too fast.I NEVER smoke to fast, er, cough, cough as my nose gets longer :ss -- it is a failing that I have that I sometimes smoke too fast, especially if I am watching something that gets me excited, like MNF, or some other sporting event.

Bobb
11-06-2009, 08:39 PM

:tpd:

This would be my guess. Looks like an uneven roll in the filler. Good cigars are hand-rolled products and people make mistakes. You may have just had a bad one.

SilverFox
11-06-2009, 08:52 PM
Could be humidity but I don't think so.

Judging by the uniformity of the remainder of the stick I would say the RH is good, if it was high typically you would see swelling while smoking it as the excess humidity is forced back in the stick from the heat.

I would say you got a bad roll, an air pocket or a piece of stem. Looks like it was getting over smoked too but that is only my guess, slow down............enjoy and rotate the stick as you smoke it.

Emerald
11-06-2009, 08:57 PM
It's a bad roll, sometimes there's a stem that's not supposed to be in the filler. And it runs on you from the inside, I just light the other part of the cigar to even it out. Sometimes cigars run on you, it's just part of the game. The construction of the cigar is not easy, it take's a master.

Yep. Bad roll.

The EVP
11-06-2009, 10:25 PM
I agree....bad roll.