PDA

View Full Version : EO Cubao No. 3

Kreth
10-28-2009, 08:47 PM
Got this stick from coastietech in the NST.

Humidor time: 3 weeks

Prelight: Well constructed, with minimal veins. Prelight draw was easy, tasting of cedar and oak.

Burn: The burn was straight. Ash was solid and held on well. Draw was easy, but not loose. The burn time was about an hour.

Flavor: After the first few puffs, I thought to myself, "This doesn't seem to have the trademark Pepin spi-SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!!" The spice kicked in, and hardcore. It was a bit overwhelming at first (and this was on a full stomach), but settled down after a half-inch or so into a nice creamy smoke that delivered on the prelight flavors, with a nice spice kick on the finish. Also once the spice throttled back, I got a nice coffee flavor that came and went.

Summary: Another tasty smoke from DPG. Other than the harsh spice kick to start, the flavors were excellent.
Posted via Mobile Device

Veritas
10-29-2009, 01:47 AM
One of my favorites.:tu

longknocker
10-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Had The Nat Cubao But Not The Maddie. Any Differences? Great Review, Bro!:tu

GreekGodX
10-29-2009, 05:13 AM
Had The Nat Cubao But Not The Maddie. Any Differences? Great Review, Bro!:tu

Try out the maduro. The wrapper subdues the spicyness a little and adds some sweetness.

Great review on a tasty smoke

OHRD
10-29-2009, 06:03 AM
This sounds great, thanks for the review. I've been eyeing these.

coastietech
10-29-2009, 06:06 AM
I really like these and the Maduro version. I'm glad you enjoyed it. :tu

longknocker
10-29-2009, 08:35 AM
Try out the maduro. The wrapper subdues the spicyness a little and adds some sweetness.

Great review on a tasty smoke

Thanks, Christos, Will Do!:tu

Kreth
10-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I usually smoke toros and robustos, but I'm getting a new appreciation for thinner RGs lately.
Posted via Mobile Device

longknocker
10-29-2009, 12:26 PM
I usually smoke toros and robustos, but I'm getting a new appreciation for thinner RGs lately.
Posted via Mobile Device

They "Look" Cool, Too!:)

Kreth
10-29-2009, 01:01 PM
They "Look" Cool, Too!:)
I'm always worried about breaking them. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Blindjimme
10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
I'm always worried about breaking them. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm with ya. I'm really liking Lancero's, but in my big hands they feel very fragile to me. Taste is awesome though. :tu

roughrider
10-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Love the Cubao.

BigCat
10-29-2009, 03:16 PM
I picked up a natural and a maduro last night after reading your review. I'm giving them some rest and then am looking forward to firing them up. I've had my eye on them for awhile. Thanks for the review.

Kreth
10-29-2009, 03:25 PM
I'll have to try the maddie now. I'm a maddie ho anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

njstone
10-29-2009, 03:54 PM
After the first few puffs, I thought to myself, "This doesn't seem to have the trademark Pepin spi-SWEET MOTHER OF GOD!!!"

Okay, I just laughed my butt off, lol. That was great, particularly because that was my experience with the Cubao as well, lol. They're really great sticks, especially with some age. After a year they don't seem to lose all that much of the spice, but the other flavors really come out (caramel, etc.). Good stuff. Thanks for the review!

Kreth
10-29-2009, 04:06 PM
Okay, I just laughed my butt off, lol. That was great, particularly because that was my experience with the Cubao as well, lol. They're really great sticks, especially with some age. After a year they don't seem to lose all that much of the spice, but the other flavors really come out (caramel, etc.). Good stuff. Thanks for the review!
Now that I know I like them, I think I'll need to get some to stash. I bet the JJs are amazing with some age on them, too.
Posted via Mobile Device

duckmanco
10-29-2009, 06:11 PM
I tried the maduro #4 today (roth size) which is what I smoke most in the EcSu wrapped blend.

Smoke was, as always, perfectly constructed, perfect draw/burn. Prelight draw was MOCHA, I mean pungent smack you in the face dark mocha, not a note, or hint, but definitive. Needless to say I thought a box purchase was soon to be made, but the flavor........ it seemed harsher on the back of the throat, maybe slightly sweeter, not nearly as creamy mouth feel wise as the original. Overall, I'm not seeking out anymore of these, as my boxes of the original blend will do just fine. I wanted to love it also, but it just didn't do it. The EcSu blend just tastes more exciting IMO.

And to add, humidity was at 65% and the stick had settled in my humi for 3 weeks easy.

Kreth
10-29-2009, 06:48 PM
Thanks for the comparison. I'll probably still give the maddie a try. This stick had that harsh, pepper feeling in the back of my throat at first (I went through half a pint glass of water in that first half inch), but was very creamy once it settled down.
Posted via Mobile Device

njstone
10-30-2009, 07:05 PM
I tried the maduro #4 today (roth size) which is what I smoke most in the EcSu wrapped blend.

Smoke was, as always, perfectly constructed, perfect draw/burn. Prelight draw was MOCHA, I mean pungent smack you in the face dark mocha, not a note, or hint, but definitive. Needless to say I thought a box purchase was soon to be made, but the flavor........ it seemed harsher on the back of the throat, maybe slightly sweeter, not nearly as creamy mouth feel wise as the original. Overall, I'm not seeking out anymore of these, as my boxes of the original blend will do just fine. I wanted to love it also, but it just didn't do it. The EcSu blend just tastes more exciting IMO.

And to add, humidity was at 65% and the stick had settled in my humi for 3 weeks easy.

That "back of the throat" thing will go away as the cigar ages. Good to know that about these, though, I hate that too. But the "sweeter" means these are still on my must try list!