PDA

View Full Version : Drac boxes needed to dry longer?

chenvt
10-27-2009, 04:30 PM
anyone else open up their dracs all excited and get a) no golden ticket and b) the sweet smell of varnish/magic marker? It's only when I opened the box and pulled out the cigars..

I'm really disappointed if this is a quality control issue where tatuaje rushed to get these out..

SmokinApe
10-27-2009, 05:07 PM
There has been allot of talk about the strong smell of paint inside the boxes. I would hope it doesn't impact the cigars but I can't see how it wouldn't if they sat in the boxes for a period of time...

BengalMan
10-27-2009, 05:49 PM
The cigars couldn't have been in boxes longer than a week or two I would assume. Cigars aren't aged in their boxes, they're aged in bundles for the most part, then boxed, shipped to the states, then to the shops. Depending on how long they sat in the boxes, and when the boxes were painted/varnished, this could have some effect on the taste, but l would think they likely weren't in the box long enough to effect the taste. I could be wrong though.

chenvt
10-27-2009, 06:01 PM
so today's lesson.. open those drac boxes and take the cigars out!

Flat4boxer
10-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I had a totally different post lined up but let's just suffice to say that I'll not be putting my money into anything from this label anytime soon.

YMMV :2

njstone
10-27-2009, 06:09 PM
If I'm lucky enough to get a box, I'll take them out and let the box air-out until there is no smell at all, then re-hydrate the box and put them back in. I've done this with other painted boxes before and had no problems.

But of course, I need to get a box first, lol!

I think Pete could have just stapled some red paper or maybe felt to the bottom and that would have been better!

njstone
10-27-2009, 06:10 PM
I had a totally different post lined up but let's just suffice to say that I'll not be putting my money into anything from this label anytime soon.

YMMV :2

Have you tried a Victorias or Angeles? You can get them for about $4 if you look--I'd put those up against any cigars in the world, and they're fare quite well.

elderboy02
10-27-2009, 06:35 PM
I remember the Oliva V Maduro last year smelled like varnish or stain or some sort of chemical for a week or 2. The boxes smell fine now. :tu

RightAJ
10-27-2009, 06:36 PM
I let the box sit out today while I was at work and the smell is almost totally gone. Another day I and think they'll be good to go in the box. Gonna line it with wax paper none the less but I have heard a review that said the box smell had NO effect on the smoke at all. Don't fret Drac-ies!!!!:2

aj

chenvt
10-27-2009, 06:47 PM
I let the box sit out today while I was at work and the smell is almost totally gone. Another day I and think they'll be good to go in the box. Gonna line it with wax paper none the less but I have heard a review that said the box smell had NO effect on the smoke at all. Don't fret Drac-ies!!!!:2

aj

Yeah, just take them out ASAP so they don't sit and blend with the smell.. Seriously, you don't put flavored cigars with your good smokes, why have a box of dracs stewing in fumes?

SmokinApe
10-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Yeah, just take them out ASAP so they don't sit and blend with the smell.. Seriously, you don't put flavored cigars with your good smokes, why have a box of dracs stewing in fumes?

Zackly...

"I am detecting a hint of enamel with a latex finish..."

chenvt
10-27-2009, 07:03 PM
Zackly...

"I am detecting a hint of enamel with a latex finish..."

LOL Jeremy.. "A hint of sharpie.. black sharpie.. with a finish of glue"