PDA

View Full Version : Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet No. 1

Kreth
10-26-2009, 05:53 PM
A while back, I started a thread asking for suggestions on cigars to try next. Dunkel sent me several of his low-cost favorites to try, one of which was the Sol Cubano Maduro, a value line from Oliva. I loved it, and they have become part of my regular rotation. So when I saw the SCCCs on cbid, I snagged a 5er to try.

Humidor time: 3 weeks

Prelight: Well constructed, with minimal veins. Prelight draw is moderate, tasting of cedar.

Burn: The burn was very straight. Ash was solid and held on well. Draw was moderate. The burn time was about 75 minutes.

Flavor: Cedar, a hint of citrus, and a nice spice finish; but very creamy. The last third added coffee.

Summary: Another great value smoke. I've seen 5ers regularly go for $7 on cbid.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
10-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Yep. These are cheap and good!:tu

MajorCaptSilly
10-26-2009, 07:00 PM
I concur. Really enjoy these. The value is just the proverbial icing on the cake.

MCS

Wharf Rat
10-26-2009, 07:38 PM
I think the first group of Sol Cubanos were made by Oliva but the Cubans aren't. None the less, I like them!

Veritas
10-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Thanks for the review. :tu

...off to prowl around on the devil site.

Dunkel
10-27-2009, 04:25 AM
I really like these as well. I haven't smoked that size though. I've had the Funadores and Magnums and both were very enjoyable.

krash
10-27-2009, 05:28 AM
I've picked up a couple boxes of these. I also think they are a very good cigar. :tu

Kreth
10-27-2009, 07:23 AM
I think the first group of Sol Cubanos were made by Oliva but the Cubans aren't. None the less, I like them!
You're right. According to CI, these are made at the Oliva factory in Esteli. But, I did a little more research, and they are blended by AJ Fernandez.
Posted via Mobile Device

borndead1
10-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Thanks for the review...and the reminder that I'm out of these. I like this line of cigars -- especially at c-bid prices!

To me they have a VERY floral flavor and aroma.

G G
10-27-2009, 08:20 AM
Nice review. Thanks.

Kreth
10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
You're right. According to CI, these are made at the Oliva factory in Esteli. But, I did a little more research, and they are blended by AJ Fernandez.
Posted via Mobile Device
OK, one lot of these on cbid says that they're made at the Oliva factory, another says they're made at Tabacalera Fernandez. Anyone know the full story? Is Fernandez a former Oliva employee who struck out on his own?
Posted via Mobile Device

borndead1
10-27-2009, 09:53 AM
OK, one lot of these on cbid says that they're made at the Oliva factory, another says they're made at Tabacalera Fernandez. Anyone know the full story? Is Fernandez a former Oliva employee who struck out on his own?
Posted via Mobile Device

Fernandez is supposedly a pupil/protege of Alejandro Robaina. ;)

He makes the SCCC, Padilla Habano, I believe 1 cigar for Gurkha, La Herencia Cubana, Man O' War, and a few others.

Kreth
10-27-2009, 10:05 AM
Man O' War
I knew I'd heard that name before.
Posted via Mobile Device

TheRiddick
10-27-2009, 11:34 AM
AFAIK, Cuban Cabinet were always made by Fernandez (other lines were not). In addition to those listed above he also made RP Fusion lines, I think he has blended another RP line lately although cannot recall which one.

Zanaspus
10-27-2009, 12:58 PM
AFAIK, Cuban Cabinet were always made by Fernandez (other lines were not). In addition to those listed above he also made RP Fusion lines, I think he has blended another RP line lately although cannot recall which one.

:tpd: I've always read/heard Cuban Cabinets were Fernandez and regular Sol Cubanos were Oliva, but who knows.

duckmanco
10-27-2009, 08:50 PM
:tpd: I've always read/heard Cuban Cabinets were Fernandez and regular Sol Cubanos were Oliva, but who knows.

This is accurate(AJ makes the Cuban Cabinet, Oliva makes the maduro), AJ Fernandez is making some ridiculously great cigars for an even better price. The construction is as good as anyone's, and the flavor he gets from the tobacco (in most of his blends) is great as well. My favs of his, are:

La Herencia Cubana - EcSu wrapped nica filler and binder thats damn tasty
Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet - EcHabano wrapped goodness
Padilla Habano - nica puro
ITC 10th - really dig these in the 2nds

All in all, the smokes coming out of his factory taste great and perform just as well. Rant off :banger

bigheadmark
01-09-2010, 07:29 AM
if u like AJ fernandez cigars, then you will LOVE the Diesel, which can be had for a ridiculously low price at CI...!