PDA

View Full Version : GIMP Users

kenstogie
10-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Been trying to get the hang of GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program) (http://www.gimp.org/) and wondered how many other BOTL/SOTL's are users. If you are unfarmiliar there's a description below.
It really seems to be quite the capable program for the cost (IE Free!) ;)

http://a.img-dpreview.com/news/0403/gimp2macosx.jpg

GIMP is an acronym for GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed program for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.

It has many capabilities. It can be used as a simple paint program, an expert quality photo retouching program, an online batch processing system, a mass production image renderer, an image format converter, etc.

GIMP is expandable and extensible. It is designed to be augmented with plug-ins and extensions to do just about anything. The advanced scripting interface allows everything from the simplest task to the most complex image manipulation procedures to be easily scripted.

GIMP is written and developed under X11 on UNIX platforms. But basically the same code also runs on MS Windows and Mac OS X.

Kreth
10-23-2009, 09:34 AM
I've used GIMP before. I use IrfanView (another freebie) for simple stuff, and the GIMP for more complex editing. There's tons of tutorials online.
Posted via Mobile Device

yellowgoat
10-23-2009, 09:43 AM
I use GIMP some times.
Paint dot net is another good free tool.

Volt
10-23-2009, 09:45 AM
InfranView - rocks for the basic sharpen, resize, crop, etc. So easy a caveman could use it. Cost Free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure on GIMP, seems a bit more in depth, I'll have to check it out for the harder stuff.

Demented
10-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Been using GIMP since I built my first Linux box, about ten years.

Tenor CS
10-23-2009, 09:58 AM

:tpd:Except I built my first Linux box about 6 years ago.

kenstogie
10-23-2009, 10:10 AM

:tu

DBall
10-23-2009, 10:27 AM
GIMP is fantastic... I do like PhotoShop better for enlarging images, though, it seems to perform that function MUCH better.

feznuk
10-23-2009, 10:32 AM
GIMP = The poor man's PhotoShop. I've been using it for about a year. It does everything I need it to and you can't beat the price.:tu

Kreth
10-23-2009, 10:38 AM
InfranView - rocks for the basic sharpen, resize, crop, etc. So easy a caveman could use it. Cost Free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yeah, one of the handiest features in IrfanView is the batch resize. Great if you have a whole folder of pics to resize for posting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Footbag
10-23-2009, 10:46 AM
I've used GIMP for the last 5-10 years. I did make the jump to PS CS4 recently for some of my astrophotography. But short of some super-specialized actions and filters, I can do 90% of my work in GIMP.

I'm currently running my PC at work with Ubuntu, and have been doing a lot of processing in GIMP. The only shortcoming I've found is that you cannot process 32-bit images. That said, PS is limited in what you can do in 32-bit.

Tenor CS
10-23-2009, 02:30 PM
Yeah, one of the handiest features in IrfanView is the batch resize.

Picasa (free from Google) is great at that, too.

gvarsity
10-23-2009, 03:18 PM
If I didn't have access to the current Photoshop through my job the GIMP would be my Image program. It's a little hard to make the transition between them as the interface is really different. The GIMP actually does some things better than Photoshop. Still I have been using Photoshop for years so there is no reason to transition.

str8edg
10-23-2009, 03:26 PM
I run Photoshop on my computer at school, but I run GIMP on all the student computer (due to $$) I found GIMP a few years ago and loved it. Like everyone has said, it is a SOLID program that can do almost everything Photoshop can do.

And ya, LOADS of tutorials online

alley00p
10-23-2009, 03:33 PM
I've been using Photoshop for quite a while, but I did load GIMP on my work machine and Netbook, and I like it quite a bit.

I have to agree with an earlier poster that the interface is a tough transition, if you've been using PS for a long time, but I like Gimp enough to use it, when I can't use my PS program. :tu

:dance:

Scothew
10-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Yeah, one of the handiest features in IrfanView is the batch resize. Great if you have a whole folder of pics to resize for posting.
Posted via Mobile Device

Theres a program called VSO Image Resizer you can download and use. Its freeware sorta, you just get a prompt asking if you want to continue with free version each time. But you highlight all the files you want to resize, right click, hit image resize and then choose what size, if you want to copy instead of resizing origionals and all taht jazz. way quicker than using photoshop or programs similar.

Veritas
10-24-2009, 12:01 AM
Grokking the GIMP (http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html)

The book is availble in print, or free online (html version). There are others, but this is the one I continue to turn to.

kenstogie
10-24-2009, 11:01 AM
Grokking the GIMP (http://gimp-savvy.com/BOOK/index.html)

The book is availble in print, or free online (html version). There are others, but this is the one I continue to turn to.

Wow that's great stuff. A++++