PDA

View Full Version : Top 10: Legendary Film Guns

CBI_2
10-22-2009, 09:03 PM
Picked from another site. I thought it was fun and figured I would share with the inmates.

No.10 - Cobra Assault Cannon

Robocop, 1987
The Robocop trilogy was one of the breakout hits of the '80s, and the walking tin can more than made up for his slow movement with his over-the-top firepower. The Cobra Assault Cannon was used by both the criminals and the cops, and for good reason. Basically, a sniper rifle that shoots grenades, this bad boy destroys cars, the giant robot ED 209, and nearly takes out Robocop himself. “State of the art, Bang Bang!” Indeed.

No.9 - Railgun

Eraser, 1996
Schwarzenegger has shot more than a couple guns in his films, and it was tough to nail down the action star's best-known firearm. In terms of sheer inventiveness though, the title belongs to the Railgun featured in the '96 film Eraser. Capable of looking (and shooting!) through solid walls, the gun brought a dangerous, no-place-to-hide energy to the film, and the concept of a gun that fires through walls has become a fixture in films and video games ever since.

No.8 - Noisy Cricket

Men In Black, 1997
The Men In Black films featured all sorts of wild gadgets, including guns of every shape and size. While the cannons used through the movie are great, one of the films greatest laughs comes when Will Smith gets handed this tiny powerhouse. The even greater surprise is the huge firepower this little gun really packs.

No.7 - M203 Prosthetic Gun

Planet Terror, 2007
What could beat a machine gun in the event of a zombie breakout? How about if that machine gun was attached to Rose McGowan? The ultimate prosthetic for the discerning zombie killer, this machine gun all but stole the show during Grindhouse. This wildly inventive weapon rewrote the book on zombie apocalypse (how is she firing that thing?) We'd say that's good enough for our No. 7.

No.6 - The Guitar-Case Gun

Desperado, 1995
All three movies in the Mexico trilogy are packed with high-powered shootouts and good old-fashioned gunslinging. The image of guitar cases packed with firepower has become something of a joke among musicians. The defining moment of the trilogy, where El Mariachi is joined by his two friends, is a massive firefight featuring guitar cases packed with machine guns, and one packing a rocket launcher. The ol' gun-in-the-guitar-case trick weighs in at No. 6.

No.5 - Predator Shoulder Cannon

Predator, 1987
The Predator series is full of insane weaponry, from the humans toting a giant mini-gun nicknamed “Ol' Painless” to the Predator's disc blades. Nothing, however, can top the awesomeness of a gun that you don't have to hold. This little turret of death is all the backup a Predator needs.

No.4 - The Boomstick

Army of Darkness, 1992
Shotguns have been a fixture of action movies since the days of Wild West films. They've more than earned the action-hero seal of approval, but you can't ask for a better shotgun than Ash's Boomstick. You know a gun is worth its weight when a guy with a chainsaw for a hand still bothers carrying it around.

No.3 - The Phaser

Star Trek: The Motion Picture, 1979
Whether you're a Trekkie or not, there's no denying Star Trek's popularity. Thirty years after the first feature film, this summer's Star Trek film is still one of the biggest blockbusters. Fanboys will debate the “greatest” gun in the Star Trek universe, but there's none more recognizable than the phaser. Set to stun or to kill, the phaser takes third place for us .

No.2 - My Little Friend (M16 with M203 Grenade Launcher)

Scarface, 1983
Scarface is full of memorable moments and quotes, but nothing beats the moment the world said "hello" to this little guy. It’s almost mandatory to quote that iconic line when handling a firearm. As far as quotes about guns, there’s only one gun that can outgun Tony Montana’s Little Friend, and that gun is…

No.1 - .44 Magnum Smith & Wesson Model 29

Dirty Harry, 1971
It’s a fact of science that nobody has ever handled a firearm without uttering either the “Do I feel lucky?” speech or the famous line: “Go ahead, make my day.” We know, the second line is from Sudden Impact, which features another gun (the .44 automag), but the image of “Dirty” Harry Callahan brandishing this monster revolver remains the most famous firearm in cinema. Both quotes were in AFI’s top 100 movie quotes of all time, with “Make my day” taking sixth spot, and “Do I feel lucky?” at No. 51. In fact, in a poll of movie weapons by FOX, the .44 came in second to only the lightsaber. Among guns, however, this handcannon to end all handcannons reigns supreme, nearly 40 years later.

yachties23
10-22-2009, 09:13 PM
you'd have to include

1995- Congo
Diamond Powered Laser.

2001- The Mexican
Cursed revolver.

s15driftking
10-22-2009, 09:39 PM
barrett m107? that's in a few...

Desert Eagle? That's in every movie just about

The gattling gun from The Predator

DL44 from star wars

acarr
10-22-2009, 09:42 PM
Before I read any of the list I figured there had to be a Clint Eastwood one in there. "Are you gonna pull your pistol's or whistle Dixie?"

What about ".762 mm full metal jacket."

RightAJ
10-22-2009, 09:50 PM
Dirty Harry was awesome... soooo classic

aj

T.G
10-22-2009, 09:58 PM
How can you make a list of top movie guns and NOT include the Zorg ZF-1 from The Fifth Element Scaramanga's golden gun from the Bond movie The Man With the Golden Gun and Deckard's blaster from Blade Runner?

Honorable mention goes to the "Lawgiver" carried by all Justices in Judge Dredd.

Darrell
10-22-2009, 10:01 PM
"This here's a .44 Magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and it can blow your head clean off. Now, you must ask yourself one question: Do I feel lucky? Well do you, punk?"

Col. Kurtz
10-22-2009, 10:05 PM
What about Bruce Willis' Beretta 92FS. He probably sold more guns for them than the US Army.....

ActionAndy
10-23-2009, 06:23 AM
I'll second the minigun from Predator and the Zorg from Fifth Element. I was baffled that the minigun didn't make it when I first read this on another site.

The Thompson has to be mentioned since it pretty much defines mobster movies. Also known as the Chicago typewriter, I think it's far more prevalent in film than it ever was in real life. Put to great use in Road to Perdition.

Edit: Found the tommy gun scene. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZphC0_XpDp4)

kayaker
10-23-2009, 06:40 AM
What about Bond's PPK?

The Poet
10-23-2009, 08:16 AM
A gun? That's not a gun - this is a gun!

The Guns Of Navarone.

tobii3
10-23-2009, 08:36 AM
.....Scaramanga's golden gun from the Bond movie The Man With the Golden Gun and Deckard's blaster from Blade Runner?

Those were two of the first three guns that came to mind when I saw this thread.

That and Ol' Clint.....:banger