PDA

View Full Version : Storage Upgrade Suggestions?

Kreth
10-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Well, it's time to upgrade. Due to recent bombs and lopsided trades, both my 100 count desktop and 30 count Cigar Caddy are about to burst.
I think my only option will be a coolerdor, due to limited funds. I have a 1/2 lb. of Scott's beads on the way, so I think I should be good up to about a 75 qt. cooler. I'll have to check Wally World and BJ's to see if they have anything on clearance.
One question, what do you coolerdor owners do for singles storage? Spare boxes? Buy a tray to sit on top of your box storage? I buy a lot of 5ers and singles, both to try new stuff and because I can't afford boxes of the pricier sticks. Right now the top tray in my desktop is stacked 3 high with various sticks, and it's a PITA to take the tray out without dumping sticks all over.
Another question, with Oust fans getting scarce, what's a good alternative? I'm thinking with a 75 qt. cooler, I could get by with two fans.
Oh, one more thing: with my current lack of storage space, I'm declaring my little corner of NY a No Fire Zone. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
10-21-2009, 05:04 PM
I've seen people use the plastic bins/trays that you would use to hold pencils and stuff to hold singles. Personally, I have a few old boxes that I toss singles into. 5-packs, either put the cigars in a box, or just open the bag and toss it in the cooler somewhere.

For a 75qt cooler, you probably don't need oust fans. :2

----EDIT
adding picture of plastic basket/tray to avoid confusion:

http://www.healthaccessories.com/images/travel_aids/66078m.jpg
6"x5"x3"

longknocker
10-21-2009, 05:08 PM
Jeff: I Bought 4 Nice Spanish Cedar Trays Here: They Look & Work Great In The Coolidor!:)
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/TRAY.html

NCRadioMan
10-21-2009, 05:10 PM
I use ziplocks and 5 finger bags and the occasional empy box for single storage. And you don't need a fan.

longknocker
10-21-2009, 05:12 PM
Also, The Igloo Marine From Wally World Seems To Keep RH Better and have a better seal than my Coleman Cooler. Good Luck!

Kreth
10-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Jeff: I Bought 4 Nice Spanish Cedar Trays Here: They Look & Work Great In The Coolidor!:)
http://www.cheaphumidors.com/TRAY.html
Thanks for the link. What size cooler do you have?
Also, The Igloo Marine From Wally World Seems To Keep RH Better and have a better seal than my Coleman Cooler. Good Luck!
I was thinking about the Marine cooler, mainly because of the slots. I could put in trays at some point. It will depend on whether I can find one on clearance. The last time I was looking, they were almost as much as a Havana Footlocker.
Posted via Mobile Device

RonC
10-21-2009, 05:30 PM
please check out www.coolidor.com

also, if you have a sams club near you, i saw the big 150 qt marine igloo for about $75

Kreth
10-21-2009, 05:57 PM
please check out www.coolidor.com

also, if you have a sams club near you, i saw the big 150 qt marine igloo for about $75
That was one of the sites I found in my research. The closest Sam's Club is a bit over an hour away. We have a Wal Mart and BJ's locally.
Posted via Mobile Device

Bubba - NJ
10-23-2009, 08:32 PM
I have a couple coleman coolers I use . I believe they said something like 8 day cooler , meaning ice will last 8 days . Which to me means better insulation inside and a better seal when closed . Always rock solid at 65% with my Heartfelt beads . They have a ledge inside that the trays from bargainhumidors.com fit perfectly on also . If all you can swing is a smaller cooler right now that is still better then nothing . :tu

elderboy02
10-23-2009, 08:36 PM
I use ziplocks and 5 finger bags and the occasional empy box for single storage. And you don't need a fan.

:tpd: Just leave the bags cracked open a little and stack them :tu

GreekGodX
10-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I have mostly trays, old boxes and the occasional 5-finger bag for single storage. I've also seen others use tupperware without the lid.

Kreth
10-23-2009, 09:32 PM
Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm gonna try and make it to WM and BJ's tomorrow, unless of course the rain holds off and I can golf. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

longknocker
10-24-2009, 04:11 AM
Thanks for the link. What size cooler do you have?

I was thinking about the Marine cooler, mainly because of the slots. I could put in trays at some point. It will depend on whether I can find one on clearance. The last time I was looking, they were almost as much as a Havana Footlocker.
Posted via Mobile Device

Jeff, I Have 1 72 Qt. Coleman & 2 48 Qt. Igloo Marines. Marines were around $30 A Piece at Wally World If I Remember Correctly.

Don Fernando
10-24-2009, 06:37 AM

:tpd:

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff347/cs_donfernando/humidor/DSC02607.jpg

Zanaspus
10-24-2009, 10:43 AM
I also buy mostly 5ers but like the extra buffering of cedar. A local B&M sells empty wooden boxes at $2 a pop, so I just filled mine up with that. :ss

Kreth
10-24-2009, 11:01 AM
From what I understand, you want to keep the cooler as full as possible to prevent huge RH swings, even if it's mostly empty boxes. I'll have to check with my local B&M for boxes.
It's absolutely pouring here right now, so I haven't been inclined to go out to check on cooler prices. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

pnoon
10-24-2009, 11:05 AM
Well, it's time to upgrade. Due to recent bombs and lopsided trades, both my 100 count desktop and 30 count Cigar Caddy are about to burst.
I think my only option will be a coolerdor, due to limited funds. I have a 1/2 lb. of Scott's beads on the way, so I think I should be good up to about a 75 qt. cooler. I'll have to check Wally World and BJ's to see if they have anything on clearance.
One question, what do you coolerdor owners do for singles storage? Spare boxes? Buy a tray to sit on top of your box storage? I buy a lot of 5ers and singles, both to try new stuff and because I can't afford boxes of the pricier sticks. Right now the top tray in my desktop is stacked 3 high with various sticks, and it's a PITA to take the tray out without dumping sticks all over.
Another question, with Oust fans getting scarce, what's a good alternative? I'm thinking with a 75 qt. cooler, I could get by with two fans.
Oh, one more thing: with my current lack of storage space, I'm declaring my little corner of NY a No Fire Zone. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

I use empty boxes for singles storage. I had been doing that for a few years. Just recently, I bought to cedar trays and like them very much.

If you are in and out of your cooler regularly, you don't need a fan. I have two coolers and one is for longer term storage which is rarely opened. I use one fan in there. The other cooler is opened at least once or twice a week - sometimes more. Absolutely no need for a fan in that one.

NCRadioMan
10-24-2009, 11:59 AM
From what I understand, you want to keep the cooler as full as possible to prevent huge RH swings, even if it's mostly empty boxes. I'll have to check with my local B&M for boxes.
It's absolutely pouring here right now, so I haven't been inclined to go out to check on cooler prices. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Not true. I have a 78qt that has two boxes in it and it stays at 63% like a rock and doesn't move. I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers because of the extra insulation.

Slavac
10-24-2009, 01:49 PM
So you have <130 cigars.

Anyone have Kreth's address?

Slavac
10-24-2009, 01:49 PM
Not true. I have a 78qt that has two boxes in it and it stays at 63% like a rock and doesn't move. I like the Coleman Xtreme coolers because of the extra insulation.

To add on, I've had both an empty 100qt cooler and a near full one. It held RH rock solid with Heartfelt beads and no fan.

I simply put my loose sticks in spare cigar boxes I get for free from a local B&M.

markem
10-24-2009, 01:59 PM
I'm a big fan of reusing boxes and using 5-finger bags for storage. I use old boxes (cabs usually) if I have some sticks that I want to put down for some time. I use 5-finger bags for singles where I will probably smoke them or gift them in the near term (next 6 months or so). Both approaches seem to work quite well.

I've recently exceeded my box storage (3 vinotemps) so will use my coolers until I decide on how best to go for long term storage - either an aristocrat or converting a walk-in closet to a walk-in humi.

btw, I keep all my empty boxes in coolers at 65% humidity so that they are ready to go when I need to press them into service. I mostly save all wood boxes, which mostly means cabs.

elderboy02
10-24-2009, 02:04 PM
I have a hygro that shows the highs and lows over a 24 hour period. The coolers are more stable than my humis even with me opening and closing the cooler multiple times.

Slavac
10-27-2009, 05:09 PM
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9222616

Kreth
12-30-2009, 08:00 AM
The struggle continues.
I'm fighting to keep my desktop at 60% with a Puck from Cigarmony, even with the beads fully saturated. I think I can fix this by replacing the Puck with another 8 oz. bag of Scott's beads, and maybe a bead of silicone around the glass top.
For additional storage, I appropriated a 28 qt. Sterilite bin that we had laying around. Crappy seal, but I built it up a bit with masking tape, and the RH is reasonably stable with 8 oz. of Scott's beads. I just need to throw in a damp sponge for a few hours every couple of days when the RH dips.
I've been watching eBay, craigslist, and the WTS for better options. Since I can't smoke more than 1-2 cigars/week in this cold, I should really stay off the devil site for a few weeks and save my cigar budget for better storage and maybe another digital hygrometer. :r
[/ramble]
Posted via Mobile Device

McSmokey
12-30-2009, 08:06 AM

I also re-use boxes currently in a 50 icecube and its packed my recommendation would be to try and get empty boxes to fill makes organization easier

Kreth
12-30-2009, 08:14 AM

I also re-use boxes currently in a 50 icecube and its packed my recommendation would be to try and get empty boxes to fill makes organization easier
I'm planning to stop down at the B&M today for a smoke. I'll see if they'd like to off-load any boxes.
Any issues with varnished boxes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Montano
12-30-2009, 10:07 AM
I'm planning to stop down at the B&M today for a smoke. I'll see if they'd like to off-load any boxes.
Posted via Mobile Device

My B&M sells them for $3 a pop and usually has tons of 'em.

replicant_argent
12-30-2009, 10:20 AM
The struggle continues.
I'm fighting to keep my desktop at 60% with a Puck from Cigarmony, even with the beads fully saturated. I think I can fix this by replacing the Puck with another 8 oz. bag of Scott's beads, and maybe a bead of silicone around the glass top.
For additional storage, I appropriated a 28 qt. Sterilite bin that we had laying around. Crappy seal, but I built it up a bit with masking tape, and the RH is reasonably stable with 8 oz. of Scott's beads. I just need to throw in a damp sponge for a few hours every couple of days when the RH dips.
I've been watching eBay, craigslist, and the WTS for better options. Since I can't smoke more than 1-2 cigars/week in this cold, I should really stay off the devil site for a few weeks and save my cigar budget for better storage and maybe another digital hygrometer. :r
[/ramble]
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you are doing a hell of a lot of screwing around when you could buy a small good sealing cooler for 12 bucks at Wally World.

T.G
12-30-2009, 10:42 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

Assuming the paint/varnish is fully cured, none that I've ever found.

Unvarnished boxes will breathe/pass humidity better, but I can't say that I've ever noticed any differences between the random NC's I store in varnished/painted boxes and unvarnished boxes.

kaisersozei
12-30-2009, 10:54 AM
The Sterilite bin is just going to frustrate you. My situation was similar to yours last year--started with a 100ct & a 50ct for cc's. For about $15, I picked up a 28qt Coleman cooler at WM. It holds about 5-6 boxes stacked (mostly because it's narrower at the bottom than at the top) with lots of additional room for bags & singles stuck here & there. It's not fancy, but it works--even much better than my desktops. The wife hates it because it's blue and sits in the corner by the piano. Oh well. I think it looks great with all my CA & herf crew stickers. :tu

It's not even half full, and I've only had to recharge my HF beads just once in the past year. Holds humidity like a champ. :2

looking for know
12-30-2009, 11:14 AM
I have yet to regret moving into coolers. It's as if they were made for keeping cigars at a consistent RH level.

longknocker
12-30-2009, 12:39 PM
I have yet to regret moving into coolers. It's as if they were made for keeping cigars at a consistent RH level.

:tpd::tu

Kreth
12-30-2009, 01:33 PM
The Sterilite bin is just going to frustrate you. My situation was similar to yours last year--started with a 100ct & a 50ct for cc's. For about $15, I picked up a 28qt Coleman cooler at WM. It holds about 5-6 boxes stacked (mostly because it's narrower at the bottom than at the top) with lots of additional room for bags & singles stuck here & there. It's not fancy, but it works--even much better than my desktops. The wife hates it because it's blue and sits in the corner by the piano. Oh well. I think it looks great with all my CA & herf crew stickers. :tu

It's not even half full, and I've only had to recharge my HF beads just once in the past year. Holds humidity like a champ. :2
Did some price checking at Wally World today. The Igloo and Coleman 28 qt. are $16-17, but they also have the Coleman Xtreme 70 qt. for $42. I'll probably go with the bigger cooler so I don't have to do this dance again anytime soon.
While I was there, I picked up an Acu Rite hygrometer to try out. Also grabbed some Liquid Nails sealant, as they only had plain silicone in the big caulking gun tubes. Is this stuff OK to use in a humidor?
Posted via Mobile Device

looking for know
12-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I don't know. Liquid nails = fumes.

Why the sealant? Check the lids on the coolers. Some just "rest on top" when closed, others seal tight. IMO, Get one that fits tight and seals without the need for sealants.

kaisersozei
12-30-2009, 02:25 PM
I don't know. Liquid nails = fumes.

Why the sealant? Check the lids on the coolers. Some just "rest on top" when closed, others seal tight. IMO, Get one that fits tight and seals without the need for sealants.

I think he's using the sealant around the glasstop of his humidor. Sounds like a good idea, I probably need to do the same but just never got to it. That's where I'd bet I'm losing humidity in the winter (humi drops from 65% to 53% from about Dec thru March when the ambient house humidity plummets to below 25%.)

Not sure that I'd use Liquid Nails though.

mariogolbee
12-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Did some price checking at Wally World today. The Igloo and Coleman 28 qt. are $16-17, but they also have the Coleman Xtreme 70 qt. for $42. I'll probably go with the bigger cooler so I don't have to do this dance again anytime soon.
While I was there, I picked up an Acu Rite hygrometer to try out. Also grabbed some Liquid Nails sealant, as they only had plain silicone in the big caulking gun tubes. Is this stuff OK to use in a humidor?
Posted via Mobile Device

Just go for the online 150 qt Coleman Marine Cooler from Wally. It's only $75 + tax and they'll ship it to a local store for free. If you don't want to do this dance again that's the way to go.

T.G
12-30-2009, 04:09 PM
Posted via Mobile Device

Liquid nails is less than ideal for sealing in the glass on your humidor, it's a construction adhesive, not a sealant. It's not easily formable so you won't get a nice even bead that you can smooth with your finger, it's a PITA to trim and remove if you have excess, you can't "work it" like silicone or caulking, and if you ever have to remove it, fugataboutit.

Easiest thing to work with is a tube of DAP Kwik Seal Plus Kitchen and Bath Caulking. It's a red tube, costs about $1.75. Comes in white, off-white and almond IIRC. Just barely cut the tip on an angle and squeeze down a bead. The stuff is super formable (holds it's shape after you drag your finger across it, like when you are caulking pieces positioned perpendicular to each other), cleans up very easily with just a damp rag, the tube is super pliable for controlling the bead, it gives off very little odor when drying and none once it's dry (unlike liquid nails which can reek for weeks).

If that won't work due to cosmetics, go to the auto parts store and get a tube of permatex brand silicone, either in clear or cosmetic black (the cheap black for trim work, not the expensive oil resistant black for doing head gaskets)

Kreth
12-30-2009, 05:04 PM
I think he's using the sealant around the glasstop of his humidor. Sounds like a good idea, I probably need to do the same but just never got to it. That's where I'd bet I'm losing humidity in the winter (humi drops from 65% to 53% from about Dec thru March when the ambient house humidity plummets to below 25%.)

Not sure that I'd use Liquid Nails though.
That's it exactly, Gerard. Yeah, I don't think the Liquid Nails is going to work. I put some on a piece of cardboard and let it set, and it still reeks. Guess I'm off to Home Depot tomorrow.
Just go for the online 150 qt Coleman Marine Cooler from Wally. It's only $75 + tax and they'll ship it to a local store for free. If you don't want to do this dance again that's the way to go.
I'd love to, Mario. Unfortunately, we're in an apartment, and SWMBO would not approve of a monster like that. :r
Easiest thing to work with is a tube of DAP Kwik Seal Plus Kitchen and Bath Caulking. It's a red tube, costs about $1.75. Comes in white, off-white and almond IIRC. Just barely cut the tip on an angle and squeeze down a bead.

If that won't work due to cosmetics, go to the auto parts store and get a tube of permatex brand silicone, either in clear or cosmetic black (the cheap black for trim work, not the expensive oil resistant black for doing head gaskets)
Sounds like Permatex is it. There's an auto parts store just a few blocks from here. I was surprised Wal Mart didn't have the smaller tubes of silicone.
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
12-30-2009, 05:13 PM
Sounds like Permatex is it. There's an auto parts store just a few blocks from here. I was surprised Wal Mart didn't have the smaller tubes of silicone.
Posted via Mobile Device

Just to clarify, Permatex is just a brand name, just happens to be what most auto parts stores here sell. Any quality clear or black slicone should be fine.

(Don't want you accidentally buying something like Permatex #1 or #2, that would be bad... #3 or #4 would be worse, but auto parts stores don't normally sell those)

mariogolbee
12-30-2009, 05:24 PM
I'd love to, Mario. Unfortunately, we're in an apartment, and SWMBO would not approve of a monster like that. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Sorry to hear that. Gotta do whatcha gotta do though Jeff.

replicant_argent
12-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Fish tank silicone would be the best as far as outgassing, it is pretty pure, fish are sensitive.
Any pet store. Wait 3-4 days before re-introduction.

Kreth
12-30-2009, 06:02 PM
Just to clarify, Permatex is just a brand name, just happens to be what most auto parts stores here sell. Any quality clear or black slicone should be fine.

I figured it was a brand name. I'll check Advanced Auto Parts or Home Depot, whichever I get to first. Clear silicone would look better, I think.
Fish tank silicone would be the best as far as outgassing, it is pretty pure, fish are sensitive.
Any pet store. Wait 3-4 days before re-introduction.
You know, one reason I grabbed the Liquid Nails (aside from the smaller tube) was that it said it's safe for fishtanks right on the package. Guess the fish don't mind the smell. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
12-30-2009, 06:08 PM
I figured it was a brand name. I'll check Advanced Auto Parts or Home Depot, whichever I get to first. Clear silicone would look better, I think.

You know, one reason I grabbed the Liquid Nails (aside from the smaller tube) was that it said it's safe for fishtanks right on the package. Guess the fish don't mind the smell. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Home Depot will probably have GE Silicone II in squeeze tubes. It's a quality product.

Wait a second, did you buy liquid nails _construction_adhesive_ or some other product under the liquid nails brand name? If they have a silicone, you might be fine using it - I only have experience with liquid nails constuction adhesive and their underlayment adhesives, if they make a silicone, I've never used it, so no specific comments regarding it.

Kreth
12-30-2009, 06:24 PM
Home Depot will probably have GE Silicone II in squeeze tubes. It's a quality product.

Wait a second, did you buy liquid nails _construction_adhesive_ or some other product under the liquid nails brand name? If they have a silicone, you might be fine using it - I only have experience with liquid nails constuction adhesive and their underlayment adhesives, if they make a silicone, I've never used it, so no specific comments regarding it.
Package says Liquid Nails Clear Seal All-Purpose Sealant. It's not going to work, the stuff reeks.
Since this seems to be an area of expertise for you, I'll go with one of the products you recommended. Thanks for the tips. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
12-30-2009, 07:21 PM
Package says Liquid Nails Clear Seal All-Purpose Sealant. It's not going to work, the stuff reeks.
Since this seems to be an area of expertise for you, I'll go with one of the products you recommended. Thanks for the tips. :tu
Posted via Mobile Device

This one?

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=4

Never used it and I don't know anything about it.

It might be fine. I just don't know.

No expert here on the other ones, just many years using them...

Kreth
12-30-2009, 07:53 PM
This one?

http://www.liquidnails.com/products/product.jsp?productId=4

Never used it and I don't know anything about it.

It might be fine. I just don't know.

Yeah, that's the stuff. Just noticed it says *not* for use in aquariums (insert facepalm smiley here).
No expert here on the other ones, just many years using them...
Unless you're Sarah Palin, experience = expertise. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

tobii3
12-30-2009, 08:10 PM
Unless you're Sarah Palin, experience = expertise

Wait....your Senator was WHO???

:r

Check out PetSmart for stuff like this -

Aquarium Seal (http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquariumseal1.html)

Vigiles
12-30-2009, 08:28 PM
I just ordered a round container of heartfelt beads tonight. I'm running into the same problems as you Kreth, desktop is struggling at 57 to 60% RH. and its full plus the new cigar caddy is full as well.

So tell me why I've been looking into buying my first box? :confused:

I'll be coming back to read this thread when its time to setup my first coolador. :ss

Kreth
12-30-2009, 09:20 PM

Wait....your Senator was WHO???

:r
We had another Senator before Gillibrand but I don't remember her name. She didn't do much... :r

Check out PetSmart for stuff like this -

Aquarium Seal (http://www.aquariumguys.com/aquariumseal1.html)
Thanks for the tip, but the nearest PetSmart is an hour away. I'll probably go with one of the products Adam suggested.
I just ordered a round container of heartfelt beads tonight. I'm running into the same problems as you Kreth, desktop is struggling at 57 to 60% RH. and its full plus the new cigar caddy is full as well.

Does your desktop have glass, by any chance? I'll update once I add a bead of silicone, plus I'm waiting to hear back from Scott (shilala) about picking up some more of his beads. The Puck I have in the desktop now has been pretty good up until the last couple of weeks, but I guess I need more horsepower now that the RH in our apartment is in the 30s.
One positive note: the Acu Rite hygrometer I picked up at WalMart is within 1% of the calibrated HygroSet I already have. Not bad for $7.97.
Posted via Mobile Device

tobii3
12-30-2009, 09:53 PM
aw crap....didn't realize it was THAT far away from ya!!

On those AccuRite's - that's a GOOD thing - I've had them all over the place - to the point of buying 8 of them at one time and returning the other 7 after checking their sensitivity.... O.C.D is a PITA when it comes to cigars!!!!

Vigiles
12-30-2009, 09:59 PM
We had another Senator before Gillibrand but I don't remember her name. She didn't do much... :r

Thanks for the tip, but the nearest PetSmart is an hour away. I'll probably go with one of the products Adam suggested.

Does your desktop have glass, by any chance? I'll update once I add a bead of silicone, plus I'm waiting to hear back from Scott (shilala) about picking up some more of his beads. The Puck I have in the desktop now has been pretty good up until the last couple of weeks, but I guess I need more horsepower now that the RH in our apartment is in the 30s.
One positive note: the Acu Rite hygrometer I picked up at WalMart is within 1% of the calibrated HygroSet I already have. Not bad for $7.97.
Posted via Mobile Device

No my desktop doesn't have a glass top. However the RH in my place plummeted with the cold weather as well, although probably not as bad as in NY.

What size puck do you have and what size is your desktop? I ordered the larger size puck, that according to the website could take care of a humidor twice the size of mine. I'm hoping this takes care of everthing!

Kreth
12-30-2009, 10:20 PM
On those AccuRite's - that's a GOOD thing - I've had them all over the place - to the point of buying 8 of them at one time and returning the other 7 after checking their sensitivity.... O.C.D is a PITA when it comes to cigars!!!!
They also had a model with a wired probe. I might pick one up when I get the cooler, so I can keep an eye on RH without needing to open it.

What size puck do you have and what size is your desktop? I ordered the larger size puck, that according to the website could take care of a humidor twice the size of mine. I'm hoping this takes care of everthing!
I have the larger Puck in a 100 ct. (right around 900 cu. in. IIRC).
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
12-31-2009, 07:39 AM
Unless you're Sarah Palin, experience = expertise. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

I can see a silicone adhesives factory from my front porch...

Posted via Mobile Device

It just occurred to me that you never mentioned if or how you established that the glass framing is where the leak is, so before you go through the effort of sealing the glass, are you even sure that's where the leak is?

Have you tried something like running some strips of wide masking tape over the seams / joint between the glass and the wood to seal it and then let the humidor sit for awhile to see what the humidity readings do?

Kreth
12-31-2009, 09:34 AM
t just occurred to me that you never mentioned if or how you established that the glass framing is where the leak is, so before you go through the effort of sealing the glass, are you even sure that's where the leak is?

Have you tried something like running some strips of wide masking tape over the seams / joint between the glass and the wood to seal it and then let the humidor sit for awhile to see what the humidity readings do?
I have not tried that. The lid passes the drop test, so I assumed the glass was the source of the leak.I suppose it could also be the analog hygro on the front, but that's a pretty snug fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

McSmokey
12-31-2009, 09:45 AM
Posted via Mobile Device

I haven't had any troubles with varnished boxes they work fine for me

Thrak
01-01-2010, 07:35 PM
I have a humi with glass top and 2 glass windows in front... I found these silicone ear plugs at the drug store that you can roll out into little strips. Odorless, clear, easy to work with and cost like $2 for 12 plugs. I didnt even use 6 of them to seal it all up...

Here they are.. I got them at CVS
http://www.macksearplugs.com/pillow_soft_silicone_earplugs.htm

Kreth
01-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I should've grabbed the Xtreme 70 qt. when I saw it last week. I ended up snagging an Igloo Family 48 qt. (no idea where it came from, it wasn't out last week). I'll scrub it out with baking soda and water tonight.
Also picked up some GE Silicone II (yes, he can be taught!) for the desktop humi, and some Backwoods since I didn't plan this quitting cigs things very well. I think I'm gonna order some Holt's Shorties tomorrow...
Posted via Mobile Device

LooseCard
01-04-2010, 06:52 PM
A lot of good info here, that's for sure.

Varnished/un-varnished, makes no difference.

You don't want a completely airtight system, but restricted. You sticks do need to breathe as they continue to "offgas" as they continue to mature. (ever find an Ammonia-type smell in your cooler???)

And one last thing...

:np

Kreth
01-04-2010, 08:25 PM
And one last thing...

:np
Um, yeah, about that... I won't be posting pics of an empty cooler... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

LooseCard
01-04-2010, 08:32 PM
Um, yeah, about that... I won't be posting pics of an empty cooler... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

So, you're admitting that you have an empty cooler?!?

Kreth
01-04-2010, 08:46 PM
Only while it's airing out after being scrubbed down with baking soda. Tomorrow it'll be loaded up with the contents of the Sterilite bin, and also the contents of my desktop for a few days so I can add silicone around the glass.
Posted via Mobile Device

Vigiles
01-04-2010, 10:07 PM

Lol, that can't be good. :ss

Kreth
01-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Got the cooler loaded up just in time for the UPS guy to show up with some cbid winnings.
Sitting at the local B&M enjoying a Lot 23. Apparently, he sells empty boxes for $5/ea. Guess I'll be starting a WTB thread. :rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device

yourchoice
01-05-2010, 02:08 PM
I think I'm gonna order some Holt's Shorties tomorrow...

Ahh, glad you liked them. :tu

Kreth
01-05-2010, 02:22 PM
Ahh, glad you liked them. :tu
Yeah, they're decent, especially for just over a buck a stick. Those house sticks you sent were pretty tasty, too. I think I can survive on Backwoods until the Shorties get here. Ordered at 10 am, apparently Holt's doesn't ship as quick as CI. :r
A little over 4 days with no cigs. I'm in that lovely "coughing the nasty sh!t out of my lungs" stage. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

T.G
01-05-2010, 02:35 PM
Got the cooler loaded up just in time for the UPS guy to show up with some cbid winnings.
Sitting at the local B&M enjoying a Lot 23. Apparently, he sells empty boxes for $5/ea. Guess I'll be starting a WTB thread. :rolleyes:
Posted via Mobile Device

http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=833748

These auctions usually close rather low, like $7-9 IIRC

LooseCard
01-05-2010, 06:20 PM
Posted via Mobile Devicehttp://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=833748

These auctions usually close rather low, like $7-9 IIRC

I'll agree, buy a 10-pack from CI - it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper in the long run.

Kreth
01-05-2010, 10:03 PM
Thanks, guys. I'll probably go that route. Then I'll have to submit a few low-ball bids while I'm on cbid... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Kreth
01-12-2010, 08:01 PM
So I could not get the desktop above 55%, even after throwing an 8 oz. bag of Scott's beads in there. So... I moved everything over to the cooler, and ran a bead of silicone (GE Silicone II) around the inside of the glass top and the analog hygro. I figure I'll give it about a week, then re-season the desktop and see how it holds RH.
The cooler has been holding pretty steady at 60% with 8 oz. of Scott's beads (a full pound now while the desktop is in the "shop").
Posted via Mobile Device

Kreth
02-10-2010, 02:43 PM
Cooler's filling up. Time to think about reseasoning the desktop... :r
Posted via Mobile Device

XTRazzer
02-12-2010, 08:43 AM
Kreth - you ever go down the road of buying boxes from Cigars International? I heard stories of guys getting Acid boxes and all sorts of junk from that deal.

CigarNut
02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Cooler's filling up. Time to think about reseasoning the desktop... :r
Posted via Mobile DeviceOr you could get another cooler :D

Kreth
02-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Kreth - you ever go down the road of buying boxes from Cigars International? I heard stories of guys getting Acid boxes and all sorts of junk from that deal.
Not yet. I haven't seen any lots on cbid lately. Also, I'd prefer to get larger boxes, as I buy most of my smokes in robusto or toro. My local shop wants $5 a pop for them, which is just ridiculous.
Or you could get another cooler :D
Ha! The desktop will free up some space. Plus, getting some boxes will help. Right now I've got a bunch of bundles and 5-finger bags in there, plus the top tray from the desktop that I just kind of set on top of everything else.
Posted via Mobile Device

XTRazzer
02-12-2010, 09:23 AM
I agree $5 is high, although $3 isn't uncommon. That was one of the good things of the B&M near my old place in PA, I got deals on empty boxes from time to time and could 'cherry pick' unfinished ones.

Kreth
02-12-2010, 09:54 AM
I agree $5 is high, although $3 isn't uncommon. That was one of the good things of the B&M near my old place in PA, I got deals on empty boxes from time to time and could 'cherry pick' unfinished ones.
The B&M we herf at actually gives them away. I just need to get up there.
I thought about putting up a WTT thread, but I know no one here could be trusted to send *empty* boxes. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

XTRazzer
02-12-2010, 09:57 AM
I thought about putting up a WTT thread, but I know no one here could be trusted to send *empty* boxes.

That's your own fault buddy. I don't have any extras at the moment or I would help you out.

MedicCook
02-12-2010, 09:58 AM
The B&M we herf at actually gives them away. I just need to get up there.
I thought about putting up a WTT thread, but I know no one here could be trusted to send *empty* boxes. :r
Posted via Mobile Device

I can bring some out to you on the 27th if you are going to the 'Cuse Herf.

T.G
02-12-2010, 10:13 AM

Not yet. I haven't seen any lots on cbid lately. Also, I'd prefer to get larger boxes, as I buy most of my smokes in robusto or toro. My local shop wants $5 a pop for them, which is just ridiculous.

I've bought an "Empty Wooden Box Assortment" from cbid (http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/lot.cfm?lotID=840306) years ago, and never got "junk" or acid boxes - most were actually really heavy & decent boxes (all but one, see next paragraph). According to Steve, you are supposed to get whichever the first 10 empty boxes they grab, with no duplicates and no "super special/rare boxes" like OpusX, CAO Vision & Sopranos, Stradivarius (although I did end up with one of the numbered CAO Black MOW boxes somehow). I think I paid $7 or $9 to win the auction.

One of the boxes was a really thin box and they had put heavier boxes on top of it, so it crushed the lid in during shipping, but no BFD, since I was buying these to stuff in a cooler anyway, I just pulled the lid off and just used it as an open tray at the top of the cooler instead.

Kreth
02-12-2010, 10:59 AM
I can bring some out to you on the 27th if you are going to the 'Cuse Herf.
That would be outstanding, Ryan. Thanks! :tu
Posted via Mobile Device