PDA

View Full Version : The Last Ride (Long Winded)

stitch
10-21-2009, 12:43 PM
What a great time the last few days have been,
I signed on for a short “Last drive” with the “26” and officially told the cattlemen’s Assn. to take my name off the call list because I was retiring from steer bustin.
Well someone made some phone calls … The drive was moved up to Saturday because the weather was drop dead perfect and some city folk were guestin’ at the ranch.
By Sunday afternoon we’d brought in 300 head like a bunch of rootin tootin cowboys and put on a bit of a show for the ranch guests … Always Fun.
As I’m getting ready to pack up I recognize a truck and trailer in the lot, My old pard “Cash” is there!
Cash is from New Mexico, he’s in his 70’s and has rode just about every brand in the West at one time or another, He’s an old school Cowboy’s Cowboy.
As I’m getting ready to ask him just what in theeee hell he’s doing there a little boy of about 10 or 12 years old walks up to us two old farts and says “Excuse me sir, But are you two really cowboys?”
Cash looks at the kid and says “Well son, I’m just a beat up old man” then he slaps my back and says
“This feller here, Now he’s a real Cowboy” … That coming from the man that I consider to be THE Cowboy about brought a lump to my throat. The youngster asks if he can have his picture taken with us and we oblige … Wow talk about a humbling experience.
Cash then tells me to just load up in his truck that were going for a ride, And that my Wife already knows I’ll be gone for a couple more days. ….Hmmmmmm.
We head out towards Hoops grazing lands in New Mexico and are soon on a two track headed out on the plateau, We pull up to a ready made camp where I find Hoop, Rooster and AJ from Kingman,
Pete from up in Seligman and Roy and Dick from Round Valley / Red Hill.
Now, mind you Cowboy’s are NOT sentimental types, We don’t tear up over stuff, we don’t give each other “Man Hugs” But we also don’t say goodbye. …Be seein’ ya pard .
They tell me that this is a retirement party of sorts, they figure I needed one since when I got drug through 300 yards of fence line by a pack of half crazed steers back in 95’ and was just too stupid and hard headed to quit then that maybe if they did this I’d wake up and smell the coffee and get the hint.
Damn but we had a good time, By day we rode leisurely out on the plateau and chased coyote’s and jack Rabbits …By night we ate Jack Rabbit stew and drank enough whiskey to float an armada !
We talked, we reminisced …They put it all back into prospective for me.
Made me glad for who I was … And who I AM.
Though Hoop did tell me that Retired or not I wasn’t getting out of helping him every now and then.
This morning I found this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMko5LelBdA&feature=related
Go have a listen for me, And raise a glass to old cowboys like Cash, Hoop and the rest of us.
A dieing breed who work in dust and rain to bring in America’s Beef Steak.

Blindjimme
10-21-2009, 12:56 PM
That ain't long winded enough for me. What a great story. What great friends to have. Not to mention the great life you've lived. Thanks for sharing.

14holestogie
10-21-2009, 01:05 PM
I concur, Stitch. A great story. Thanks for sharing. :tu

replicant_argent
10-21-2009, 01:20 PM
Sam Elliot just narrated that in my head, and it was good.

Glad to hear you had a good "Last Blast" (officially, that is ;) )

Scothew
10-21-2009, 01:25 PM
great story, props off to you my friend. Truely one of a kind.

ahc4353
10-21-2009, 01:40 PM
One of Willies finest songs. Brought a smile. :)

Thank you for including us in this special time of your life Jeff. I really think you should consider writing a book. Just keep it in short story form like above. Glimpses into a part of Americana such as what you have to offer needs to be saved for future generations.

I hope one day we can share that drink and cigar.

For now all I have is a virtual man hug (it's ok nobody's lookin). :)

Wishing the new chapter in your life be as filled with happy moments as the past ones.

Conch Republican
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
That ain't long winded enough for me. What a great story. What great friends to have. Not to mention the great life you've lived. Thanks for sharing.

:tpd:

Riff Raff
10-21-2009, 01:43 PM
Stitch, that is awesome! When you started the story and mentioned the 26, immediately I started singing the song about the Arizona Rangers in my head. Do you know it? "This is the story of 26 men, that rode the Arizona Territory!" It was from an old '50s TV show.

Also, I used to live on the Wilkenson spread in Prescott. Out in Granite Dells, the running W. I sure do miss it! I would love to read some of your stories!

timo
10-21-2009, 01:44 PM
You should take up writing in your retirement. That was an exceptional read. Thanks cowboy

bobarian
10-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks for the story! An excellent midday interlude. :tu

BlackDog
10-21-2009, 05:07 PM
What a cool story! I could stand to read a lot more. Thank you for sharing.
Posted via Mobile Device

Moglman
10-21-2009, 05:55 PM
Thanks for the heartfelt story, one that makes me think about life lived hard and honest. I knew many cowboys growing up in Colorado had my respect hasn't diminished.

stitch
10-21-2009, 07:13 PM
Stitch, that is awesome! When you started the story and mentioned the 26, immediately I started singing the song about the Arizona Rangers in my head. Do you know it? "This is the story of 26 men, that rode the Arizona Territory!" It was from an old '50s TV show.

Also, I used to live on the Wilkenson spread in Prescott. Out in Granite Dells, the running W. I sure do miss it! I would love to read some of your stories!
I drove through the Dells last year, Every inch of ground from Paulden to PV (Jackass Flats) :D has a housing unit on it ...the Dells aint much more than that pile of rocks on 89 any more ...And the 89A cut off is like a four lane super highway now ... The old Territorial Capital (Prescott) and PV aint what they used to be. :td
I grew up cowboyin' north of Kingman, in 75' when my Father died I became a Marine, Ten years later I went back to cowpunchin ...After I got hurt in 95' runnin steers was what made me feel like I still had some toughness left in me.
Even after I got old and sore it was still the only thing that made me feel like I still had some Hard chargin kick ass and take names in me.
It's been a good run ... My Fellow Vaquero's have made me proud of who I was , And glad for who I am.:tu

MedicCook
10-21-2009, 07:19 PM
Thanks for sharing the story. :tu

heavyd
10-21-2009, 07:51 PM
What a great read :). Thanks for sharing that. We have some professional cowboys here in the back country at Warner Springs Ranch. There is no such thing as a lazy cowboy. They start work before daybreak and are still working well after dark - every day! Feeding horses, loading cattle, mending fences...you name it. I try to make it over to the ranch when they castrate the young bulls. The rope work is amazing. They almost never miss the bull's back legs with that lasso from on top of a moving horse, 15-20 feet from the bull. Talk about hand-eye coordination :D.

Enjoy your retirement, stitch. Surely you deserve it.

stitch
10-21-2009, 07:56 PM
Mmmmmmmm .... Fresh Oysters! :tu

blugill
10-21-2009, 08:00 PM
Stitch, my friend, that is one of the best stories I've read in a long time sir. Thank you so much for sharing!

SmokeyJoe
10-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Stitch... great story, told by a great storyteller.

Sounds like the perfect retirement party for a real cowboy. :tu

stitch
10-21-2009, 08:38 PM
A Young Stitch http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/8818/stitch03.jpg
And YES ... I still have that hat 12 years later!
An Old Stitch http://img94.imageshack.us/img94/59/oldstitch.jpg

Skywalker
10-21-2009, 09:06 PM
Great read Stitch!!!

Thanks for sharing with us!!!:tu

Riff Raff
10-21-2009, 09:29 PM
I drove through the Dells last year, Every inch of ground from Paulden to PV (Jackass Flats) :D has a housing unit on it ...the Dells aint much more than that pile of rocks on 89 any more ...And the 89A cut off is like a four lane super highway now ... The old Territorial Capital (Prescott) and PV aint what they used to be. :td
I grew up cowboyin' north of Kingman, in 75' when my Father died I became a Marine, Ten years later I went back to cowpunchin ...After I got hurt in 95' runnin steers was what made me feel like I still had some toughness left in me.
Even after I got old and sore it was still the only thing that made me feel like I still had some Hard chargin kick ass and take names in me.
It's been a good run ... My Fellow Vaquero's have made me proud of who I was , And glad for who I am.:tu

Stitch, all you gotta do is write about your stories and you will have a number of people eager to read them. Me among them! You have every right to be proud. It is guys like you that make me proud to be from Arizona!

Poronico
10-21-2009, 10:52 PM
That was an amazing story stitch, thanks for sharing. Reminds me of back home helpin out on the farm :)

68TriShield
10-22-2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks for sharing Jeff and for all you've done :)

RevSmoke
10-22-2009, 06:26 AM
Sam Elliot just narrated that in my head, and it was good.

I concur.

God's blessings on your retirement.