PDA

View Full Version : Herf smokes?

Lucky_Hippo
10-24-2008, 11:50 AM
I was wondering what the consensus was on Herf smokes. Do you guys only hand out your very best and most expensive sticks to other BOTL's knowing they will probably enjoy them, or do you purchase special "give away" sticks to pass out as more of a friendly gesture? Not bottom of the barrel yard-gars, but more of an everyday kind of stick.

In other words, if you know a herf is coming up, what do you stock up on?

Davidoff or Padron.

NCRadioMan
10-24-2008, 11:57 AM
You give what you enjoy. It's the thought that counts most, not the cigar.

bobarian
10-24-2008, 12:03 PM
Done it all. Sometimes I will bring different smokes for each person, knowing their tastes and preferences.:ss If there are newbies coming(I love fresh meat!) I bring at least a fiver each. Also, been known to bring coolers or other newbie items to shove them down the slope!:r

High end or low end doesnt matter. Its the spirit of giving that is most important. I have given out CFO #7's(50cents each) and harder to find stuff(Camacho FaceOff, CC's) In either case they are given with love and accepted graciously.

It works both ways as well. If someone has chosen to gift me a smoke, it doesnt matter if its an RP or a 1492. Both will be accepted with deep appreciation and genuine thanks.

For Saturday's herf at Ratter's place, I will bring everything from tasty Cuban's:dr to Cremosas:c
I love herfing!:ss

Mugen910
10-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Both...I bring some I want to get rid off and also bring some stuff I think they would enjoy. If you start bringing price into things it kind of defeats the purpose of sharing. Don't get me wrong. I fully understand that $ doesn't grow on trees but keep in mind how special you'd feel if someone shared, lets say a 1980's Davidoff.

Buckeye Jack
10-24-2008, 12:59 PM
Give cigars you feel comfortable handing out. If you enjoy them, others might as well. You don't have to break your bank gifting out. As it was said before, it's the thought that counts.

RHNewfie
10-24-2008, 01:26 PM
I give what I like to smoke, sometimes better than I smoke!

groogs
10-24-2008, 04:26 PM
I try to bring cigars I think the other guys will enjoy. After you have herfed with the same crew a few times, you get to know what they like and what they already have, so I try to giver them stuff they may not have and that I think they will enjoy. In the end, it is the thought that counts and anything you hand out is great.

Lucky_Hippo
10-25-2008, 04:45 AM
Looks like I agree with everyone above. It's more about the thought than the actual stick. I've found a few "snobs" over the years that made snide remarks twords another mans choice of smoke, and it just got me to wondering how common it was.

For instance I enjoy a 5 vegas classic every now and then. I was herfing with a few guys at a party and just after handing one to a guy he takes it and says with a sneer "what, you been shoping at Thomp***s" and then proceeds to pull out a tatuaje and fire that up instead.

How much of an insult can you get to be acused of shopping at the dreaded T-word?

Now I've always taken an offered cigar as great show of generosity, but I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go round.

Even the cigar world I guess.

Ratters
10-25-2008, 08:59 AM
I've given away expensive cigars, I've tried to give away a Free Cuba. :ss I just simply give what I think another person may want to try. Same as with bombing. I don't think price even enters my head when handing out sticks.

And if someone makes a comment about what I'm smoking, why would I care. I smoke what makes me happy. If they can't understand that they are no BOTL to me. Sure, I may get **** from my friends about the Gurkha I may be smoking at the time, but I know they're doing it with love. :D

AriesOpusX
10-25-2008, 09:01 AM
I try to bring stuff that the other guys may not have had before such as CC's or Opus when my supply is high.

ucla695
10-25-2008, 09:45 AM
I like to bring sticks that I like and I know are smoking well. This way everyone can enjoy them. :tu

barbourjay
10-25-2008, 10:01 AM
i don't care what everyone else is smoking or handing out. it's the thought and the fact that someone you barely knew is giving you something that you did not expect to get. what other hobby does this happen in?

i've received smokes i didn't like and i am generally very polite about it, usually i won't even tell them it's not my taste. if it's something new i will be anxious and fire it up pretty quickly though. now if you are handing a smoke to some one and forcing them to light it up, my advice would be just to hand them the smoke and let them choose if they want to smoke it. so that neither you or the other person gets offended.