PDA

View Full Version : Good starter scotch?

RightAJ
10-20-2009, 05:30 PM
Kinda just started to 'understand' scotch, but not really sure what I should start off with as I'm not totally sure what I've had so far. I know I liked Delvenie Double Barrel, but that is a bit pricey I've heard... Suggestions?

aj

markem
10-20-2009, 05:34 PM
I think you mean Balvenie Double Barrel which is a very good scotch.

My advice is to go to a local bar and try some out. Way cheaper in the long run than buying whole bottles that you may not like.

ActionAndy
10-20-2009, 05:52 PM
I think you mean Balvenie Double Barrel which is a very good scotch.

My advice is to go to a local bar and try some out. Way cheaper in the long run than buying whole bottles that you may not like.

Yeah. I started with Johnnie Walker Black. It's a blended Scotch but in my opinion it's got a great taste--still drink this regularly at the bars.

Sawyer
10-20-2009, 06:01 PM
Balvenie Doublewood that has already been said is very nice and you can't go wrong with Macallan 12. I have a buddy who loves Glenlivet and they have it just about anywhere you go.

WhoDeySchenk
10-20-2009, 06:10 PM
depends on the type of scotch you're looking for. Highland, Lowland, Islay, Speyside...etc. I've toured through many of distilleries in Scotland.
Balvenie is a Speyside and will run you around 50ish dollars, in all honesty, that's about average for a bottle of scotch. Most of your "standards will run you around that. I tend to like Islay scotch the best, love the smoked peaty taste and smell (Ardbeg, Lagavulin, Laphroaig) There are plenty of "cheaper" scotches that are in my cabinet that I feel have great flavor & quality, such as Bowmore (Islay) and McClellands (make all varieties, Islay, lowland, highlands and speyside) Glenmorangie Sherry Cask is also one of my favorites, but pricey, around $70. They don't use the normal bourbon casks most scotch uses, but they house it in an old Sherry cask, so the scotch adapts the sweetness of the sherry and takes some of the "sting" that drives most people away from scotch away. Jura Superstition is also one of my favorites, it's one in it's own, has the strong peatiness but also has a bit of sweetness as well. Hope this helped confuse you even more about scotch! Good luck, hit me up if you need more answered.

AD720
10-20-2009, 06:58 PM
I would try starting with the Glens and the Macs.

pinotguy
10-20-2009, 07:13 PM
There are some better blends out there now but I'd skip those and start with single malts right off the bat.

Highland Park 12 yr. would be a fantastic introduction to the world of fine Scotch.

GreekGodX
10-20-2009, 07:15 PM
I started off on Chivas, J&B(blend), Dewars and Johnny Walker. Give'em a shot. They don't compare to the more expensive scotches but I do occasionally go back to Chivas

Pilon
10-20-2009, 07:16 PM
Oban, Talisker, Aucentoshan, Johnny Green Label

colimo
10-21-2009, 01:05 AM
good idea about going to a bar and trying a series of samplers to find your favorite...although good well priced ones to start with would be the glenlivet, glenfiddich and bruichladech(sp)...
also you may be able to find several miniatures at some liquor stores to try

icehog3
10-21-2009, 01:07 AM
I started out on Cutty Sark on New Year's Eve in 1979, and haven't touched Scotch again since.

So my advice is......NOT Cutty Sark, AJ. ;)

mtaill
10-21-2009, 11:05 AM
My favorite is the Highland Park 12yrs, of course the 15yrs and 18yrs are awesome, but you can't go wrong with the 12yrs old. Sacapa 14 yrs is also a great one and smooth. Good for a newb as they are not that much peatty

ahc4353
10-21-2009, 11:12 AM
I always suggest that you buy some of the sample size bottles.

Sawyer
10-21-2009, 11:20 AM
I started out on Cutty Sark on New Year's Eve in 1979, and haven't touched Scotch again since.

This is probably the best advice so far. :tu

RightAJ
10-21-2009, 11:26 AM
This is probably the best advice so far. :tu

Lol I'll keep that in mind

acarr
10-21-2009, 11:45 AM

I am not sure the first one that I tried but it is pretty much the last also:D

BigCat
10-21-2009, 12:58 PM
I came up drinking dewars white label, a blend. It is still a regular in my cabinet. It can't hang with single malts, but it is good for what it is and at $22 a fifth, it's a good price.

As far as single malts go, if you liked the Balvenie you will definitely like the Macallan 12. I like Glenlivit 18 yr quite well, but don't think much of the 12 in that line. I also keep Talisker 10 yr on hand as much as possible. Overall though, I would say the advice about going to a bar and trying them out first is good advice - there is a lot of variance between scotches depending on the region in which they were made and the only way to figure out what you like is to try them. It sure is a lot of fun though.

yourchoice
10-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I recommend reading through this (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=4846&highlight=scotch) thread. After that, post up a question/clarification there if you're still looking for answers. Great info on the whole when it comes to Scotch. It really got me off on the right foot. :tu

markem
10-21-2009, 01:36 PM

Liar.

Oh wait, what happens at SoCal stays on youtube :r

Must admit, you were incredibly polite to take that taste, Tom.

Lensjockie
10-21-2009, 01:50 PM
Jonny Walker Swing is the only "Scotch" I can stomach.
Smoother and now backlash or overly smokey taste.

Wanger
10-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Old Pulteney and Glen Moray are a couple I've had. I'm a newbie to scotch myself, and those were suggested to me.

icehog3
10-21-2009, 03:01 PM
Liar.

Oh wait, what happens at SoCal stays on youtube :r

Must admit, you were incredibly polite to take that taste, Tom.

You're right Mark, there have been a couple exceptions. One shot in Ireland for a taste test at the Middleton Distillery, and some tastes of some Johnny Walker Blue that I was generously gifted by Catfish2....that was actually pretty good, but it has not turned me into a scotch man. ;)

markem
10-21-2009, 03:23 PM
You're right Mark, there have been a couple exceptions. One shot in Ireland for a taste test at the Middleton Distillery, and some tastes of some Johnny Walker Blue that I was generously gifted by Catfish2....that was actually pretty good, but it has not turned me into a scotch man. ;)

I was just pokin fun, Tom. Man, the look on your face when we were discussing scotch was priceless. You didn't have to tell us that you were not a scotch person after that. :tu