PDA

View Full Version : Davidoff - Like, Love, or not worth the money?

php007
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
Another brand I love, but wish they were more affordable.

I collect the Limited Edition and Special release.

I enjoy the following.

Special Serise
Maduro
Aniversario
Millenium

CigarDoc
10-24-2008, 11:05 AM
Love love love. Especially the Special series and the millenium's. If you havn't had a Reserva 12 yet, find one and buy it. It's a little expensive, but well worth the pricetag if you are a davi whore like me.

Linus
10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
Davidoff was my first cigar (well, their Winston Churchill series anyways) and I always enjoy them. I do find them pricey and sometimes wonder about that but I do know that I always get good consistency from them. I do think that it's worth paying for that consistency and, IMO, makes that worth it. Granted, if I have to choose between say a Davidoff or an Arturo Fuente, well.. that usually means the AF will win. ;)

CigarDoc, where did you get the Reserva 12? I haven't seen them, even in the Davidoff official stores here in NYC.

dunng
10-24-2008, 11:09 AM
I enjoyed the Maduro as well as the Millenium... pricey though... :ss

markem
10-24-2008, 11:11 AM
The NC Davidoffs are way hit-and-miss for me. I find the Winston Churchills to be more consistent, but probably $3-4 overpriced (per stick). Don't get me started on how bad the Zinos are.

It is kind of interesting all the most recent talks about possible removal of the embargo in that almost no one has talked about what it will do to pricing, and hence viability, of the NC market. I think the NC Davidoffs would disappear relatively quickly.

Jay Hemingway
10-24-2008, 11:16 AM
NC's:
special R
aniversario #3

CC's:
no.1
tubos
chateau margaux

IMO davidoff's are wonderfull cigars. a little pricey but why smoke crappy cigars?
:D

Linus
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Not necessarily. I think that the manufacturers have shown that NC cigars can compete well enough. Perhaps with the extra competition we'll see a lowering of prices on the NCs.

ahc4353
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I just love the Aniversario #3 Tubo just a great NC smoke IMHO.

Due to price I smoke maybe two a year :( .

dmoby
10-24-2008, 11:18 AM
I had an anni#3 last night during poker, it was fing good.

chippewastud79
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
Love me some Millennium Blend :tu

Mugen910
10-24-2008, 11:25 AM
NC's:
special R
aniversario #3

CC's:
no.1
tubos
chateau margaux

IMO davidoff's are wonderfull cigars. a little pricey but why smoke crappy cigars?
:D

:tpd:

I've never had a CC Davidoff but man every NC I've had are awesome!

Pyro
10-24-2008, 12:13 PM
I wrote this in the first Davidoff thread:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showpost.php?p=16266&postcount=8

FriskyDingo
10-24-2008, 12:29 PM
The simplest way I can say this is if someone were to gift one to me I definitely wouldn't mind smoking it. I cannot justify paying the sticker price myself. There are too many other cigars I could get multiples of for the price of a single Davidoff. :2

papajohn67
10-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Davidoff was my first cigar (well, their Winston Churchill series anyways) and I always enjoy them. I do find them pricey and sometimes wonder about that but I do know that I always get good consistency from them. I do think that it's worth paying for that consistency and, IMO, makes that worth it. Granted, if I have to choose between say a Davidoff or an Arturo Fuente, well.. that usually means the AF will win. ;)

CigarDoc, where did you get the Reserva 12? I haven't seen them, even in the Davidoff official stores here in NYC.

Jack Schwartz has the R-12 @$18.75 a pop.

BTW I am hooked on the Millenniums and at my age I really do not care anymore what they cost. I should have invested in Davidoffs, filled my humi to the brim and called it my IRA....hell I could have ended up broke but still had some fine cigars to smoke while trying to sell apples on the street corner.

Scottw
10-24-2008, 01:48 PM
Just picked up 3 tubos in a sampler, can;t wait to try them,

zmancbr
10-24-2008, 02:19 PM
Never smoked one yet... I have one that was gifted to me by one of those fine BABTOLs in a bomb. I am saving it for a special day and then will burn it up. :cb

wayner123
10-24-2008, 02:30 PM
Davidoff - Like, Love, or not worth the money?

Not worth the money IMO. They are one dimensional to me. It's a good one dimension, but not $15 worth.

BTW, if you all like Davidoff's that much you should really look into the Davidoff seconds:

Private Stock
Kelner Seconds
Occidental Reserve

IMO, these are just as good as the Davidoffs, at a 3rd of the price. And that's about how much they should cost.

troutbreath
10-24-2008, 02:32 PM
Delicious, well-constructed smokes. Like the Special-R and Millineum. Cannot afford them too often, but they taste great when I light 'em up. I think I have 5 or 6 resting, just waiting for a special occasion.

BengalMan
10-24-2008, 02:57 PM
The Maduro's are very young and have been notorious for having burn problems. The ones I have I'm letting sit for about 6 months and will revisit them.

AdamC
10-24-2008, 07:21 PM
After reading on here, I've been looking for some, but can only find cigarellos on the major sites. I guess I'll have to hope for some in a MAW someday.

JackSchwartz
10-27-2008, 10:43 AM
Just a heads up to all the folks who like the Aniversario #3's (one of my favorite Davidoffs). They're now making them in 10 count boxes without tubos now. It saves you a buck or two per cigar.

My favorite Davidoff right now is anything in the Winston Churchill line. The first few boxes we received were a little green in my opinion. I picked up some grassy/earthy taste in there that reminded me of the Gran Cru line. Last couple shipments we received have been outstanding.

Eric

Mugen910
10-27-2008, 10:48 AM
The Maduro's are very young and have been notorious for having burn problems. The ones I have I'm letting sit for about 6 months and will revisit them.

Yup I wasn't totally impressed with the Maddy...but time will tell if they stay in line with the other yummy stuff.:ss

papajohn67
10-27-2008, 03:40 PM
Just a heads up to all the folks who like the Aniversario #3's (one of my favorite Davidoffs). They're now making them in 10 count boxes without tubos now. It saves you a buck or two per cigar.

My favorite Davidoff right now is anything in the Winston Churchill line. The first few boxes we received were a little green in my opinion. I picked up some grassy/earthy taste in there that reminded me of the Gran Cru line. Last couple shipments we received have been outstanding.

Eric

Now that makes me feel mighty good since I have some WC's arriving from you folks tomorrow. :ss

hdroadglide
10-27-2008, 04:40 PM
this is just what makes the world go round. i have never cared for the flavor profile of davidoff (although i've never tried a cc). for the price, i'd rather have a nice tatuaje. but that's just me. more for everyone else!!

JackSchwartz
10-28-2008, 03:24 PM
Now that makes me feel mighty good since I have some WC's arriving from you folks tomorrow. :ss
I was lucky enough to meet Winston Churchill's grandson when I was in Las Vegas for the trade show. Very nice gentleman. He was a news correspondent after graduating college. When I told him I was from Chicago he told me a great story. "I've covered many conflicts and wars; from Vietnam to the Middle East. Funny enough, the only time I was injured covering a story was at the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago."
I guess he was going back to his hotel room when two cops approached him and asked him where he thought he was going. He told them he was heading back to his hotel. "Oh yeah, where's your key and what's your name", the cops asked. "Here's my key, and my name is Winston Churchill", he replied. CRACK!!! The cop smacked him over the head with his baton. "You some kind of wise guy?"

Thought that was a funny story. Intrestigly enough we have a little connection to Winston Churchill as well. Jack Schwartz presented him with a case of Montecristo cigars when Churchill came to Chicago. We have a photo in the shop.

http://www.jackschwartz.com/images/products/photos/large/IMG_0014.jpg

68TriShield
10-28-2008, 03:31 PM
That's really interesting.Thanks for posting it Eric :tu

68TriShield
10-28-2008, 04:49 PM
That's really interesting.Thanks for posting it Eric :tu

Oh and as far as Davidoff as a brand,there are cigars in the line that I like.
Never bought a box because there are too many equal cigars for much less $.

weak_link
10-28-2008, 04:56 PM
I really enjoy the Ani no 3's and the original no 2's. Shame about the price but they do have a place in my rotation every once in a while. Special 't' are also great, almost forgot those.

papajohn67
10-28-2008, 06:37 PM

Eric

Eric

Your WC's arrived today. So was the 8 stick sampler made up from recent shipments?

BTW the Prometheus Legend is going to serve me well. What a deal!!

Sauer Grapes
10-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Can't say I cared for the winston churchill, especially at the price point. Really, at any price point I wasn't too impressed.

Can't say I have had too many regular Davidoff cigars, but the ones I've had I wasn't impressed with at the price point. They weren't horrible though. They are just kind of bland to me at times.

Had a Maduro this weekend. It was actually good, but again not for the price point. At half the price, I'd buy a box though. The cigar was really smooth for a non-aged maduro. Overall it was just a solid stick.

JackSchwartz
10-29-2008, 07:32 AM
Eric

Your WC's arrived today. So was the 8 stick sampler made up from recent shipments?

BTW the Prometheus Legend is going to serve me well. What a deal!!
Those Winston Churchills are from recent shipments. I've smoked the Chequers and the Marrakesh from this latest batch and found them to be excellent.

Also, I tested all the Legend lighters before we sent them out. All worked great. I liked the strong flame on them.

Enjoy the smokes.

Eric

Addiction
10-29-2008, 08:00 AM
I love Davidoff, but I do think they can be a little expensive. When I look at the price I think "Davidoff or Cohiba" and Cohiba is a clear winner in that comparison.

Legend
10-29-2008, 12:35 PM
Since I haven't had one, I'll have to go with not worth it. Just can't pull the trigger.

papajohn67
10-29-2008, 12:44 PM
Can't say I cared for the winston churchill, especially at the price point. Really, at any price point I wasn't too impressed.

Can't say I have had too many regular Davidoff cigars, but the ones I've had I wasn't impressed with at the price point. They weren't horrible though. They are just kind of bland to me at times.

Had a Maduro this weekend. It was actually good, but again not for the price point. At half the price, I'd buy a box though. The cigar was really smooth for a non-aged maduro. Overall it was just a solid stick.

I smoked a WC Chequers late last night and enjoyed it quite a bit. Very unique taste. Great draw and burn. However I can see where the cigar might not suit a great many peoples tastes....not implying cigar snobbery but the WC did float this BOTL's boat. I have to agree it is a pricy sucker!!

massphatness
10-29-2008, 12:57 PM
Since I haven't had one, I'll have to go with not worth it.

How can you pass judgement on a cigar you haven't had?

I've never had a Davidoff either -- so I can't make any kind of value judgement on the stick.

ahc4353
10-29-2008, 01:02 PM
How can you pass judgement on a cigar you haven't had?

You are so smart.

I've never had a Davidoff either -- so I can't make any kind of value judgement on the stick.

I will fix this next trip up. I will pick up two Aniversario #3's and a bottle of Cragganmore.

Next :ih trip!

AdamC
10-30-2008, 09:22 AM
Mwuahaha! I just got some of these last sat. Just the 9cigar sampler and a few others.

SonsofClubDeck
10-30-2008, 09:24 AM
Like em' but not enough to pay out for them. However, their full-flavored cigarettes will straight up Terry Tate your ass. $4 per pack in NC but well worth it.