PDA

View Full Version : Punch & Ring Gauge

memnoc
10-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Wondering what the board's opinion was on punches. At what ring gauge do you give up the punch for the cutters?

icehog3
10-16-2009, 03:39 PM
I am a cutter guy myself, sometimes I get tar issues with a punch, and I guess I just prefer the more voluminous draw. But I have many friends who love the punch, so to each his own.

14holestogie
10-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I punch anything over 30 rg. Cutter for anything smaller or torpedos.

Poronico
10-16-2009, 03:53 PM
I will punch anything large than a Lancero size, unless its a torp then I cut at a 45* angle and call it good. Its not a requirement by any means because some people tend to wet the end of their cigar extensively and you get build up issues, but then again some people just enjoy the large volumes of smoke. This is like asking a group of people what their favorite marca is, you will get many different answers its all about preference and experience.

memnoc
10-16-2009, 03:56 PM
One of the reasons I ask is I had a 52 ring gauge and was about to punch it when someone walked up and said to cut a cigar of that size. He said, the nicotine buildup will turn the cigar bitter quicker.

Poronico
10-16-2009, 03:59 PM
OH! If you want to get creative, get a chisel from LFD and punch through the top of it so you have something like this...

....... ________________________________________________
::;:;:;........................................ | B |..............__......|.......................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
;:;::;;....................................... | A |.............| |....|............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
;:;;:; ........................................ | N |.............|__|....|........................... .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
:;;:;:;__________________________|__D__|__________ _____| .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

obviously the diagram sucks lol but when you draw on the chisel smoke will hit your tongue and the roof of your mouth at the same time making for a completely different smoking experience all together. EAT A FULL MEAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!!! you have been warned.

Starscream
10-16-2009, 05:05 PM
OH! If you want to get creative, get a chisel from LFD and punch through the top of it so you have something like this...

....... ________________________________________________
::;:;:;........................................ | B |..............__......|.......................... .................................................. .................................................. .................................................
;:;::;;....................................... | A |.............| |....|............................................ .................................................. .................................................. ..............................
;:;;:; ........................................ | N |.............|__|....|........................... .................................................. .................................................. ................................................
:;;:;:;__________________________|__D__|__________ _____| .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .........................

obviously the diagram sucks lol but when you draw on the chisel smoke will hit your tongue and the roof of your mouth at the same time making for a completely different smoking experience all together. EAT A FULL MEAL BEFORE ATTEMPTING THIS!!! you have been warned.

Not sure I get your post. It may be the alcohol, but I would like an elaboration on this.:al

EDIT: to the OP, I used to love the punch, but the longer I've been in this hobby I like the guillotine more than the punch. Never used a Vcut myself, but my Xikar works great for me.

T.G
10-16-2009, 05:24 PM
Not sure I get your post. It may be the alcohol, but I would like an elaboration on this.:al

EDIT: to the OP, I used to love the punch, but the longer I've been in this hobby I like the guillotine more than the punch. Never used a Vcut myself, but my Xikar works great for me.

Punch through both of the flat sides of the chisel head of the cigar. One opening points up, one down. Smoke hits your palate and tounge at the same time.

Poronico
10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
I should have just done this in the beginning because my ASCII skills blow goats.

Make sure you punch ALL the way through the cigar when you draw it will shoot smoke both up and down giving it you a fuller taste of the tobacco as well as the spice
http://www.inthehumidor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/dl1.jpg

Poronico
10-16-2009, 05:25 PM
Punch through both of the flat sides of the chisel head of the cigar. One opening points up, one down. Smoke hits your palate and tounge at the same time.

Thanks for the assistance Cthulu

memnoc
10-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Make sure you punch ALL the way through the cigar when you draw it will shoot smoke both up and down giving it you a fuller taste of the tobacco as well as the spice

Interesting concept....I'll have to give it a try.:ss

Don Fernando
10-23-2009, 11:38 AM
I punch everything over rg40

Blindjimme
10-23-2009, 11:47 AM
I prefer to punch anything large enough to punch. Sometimes it depends on the cap. A poorly done cap will often just come off after punching and you get unraveling. I like scissor style cutters when not punching.

Starscream
10-23-2009, 12:06 PM
I should have just done this in the beginning because my ASCII skills blow goats.

That looks like a keychain.:)