PDA

View Full Version : Pictures - My First Humidor

Dangle
10-14-2009, 10:33 PM
http://www.cubancrafters.com/products.php/item_id/280

This was around thirty five dollars,and came with fifteen cigars and a cutter. I really like it, but I know I will need something bigger soon.

http://i36.tinypic.com/9a1c78.jpg

http://i36.tinypic.com/ncdrnt.jpg

What do you guys think, everything look alright?

Slavac
10-14-2009, 10:36 PM
I'd take your matches and cutter out to start.

You'll also need a much larger one soon :r

CigarNut
10-14-2009, 10:38 PM
Since that one is nearly full I hope you have another one on the way :ss

Emjaysmash
10-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Since that one is nearly full I hope you have another one on the way :ss

:tpd:

Yep nice start, but you need MORE!!! MUAHAHAHAHA

Ahem. I mean, you'll probably need more room for all the other cigars along the way. Nice start!!

Dangle
10-14-2009, 10:40 PM

Thanks, there out. What about the temperature and humidity, they seem ok? Keep in mind I live in South Florida and might be hard to bring the temps down too much.

Titan410
10-14-2009, 10:55 PM
Thanks, there out. What about the temperature and humidity, they seem ok? Keep in mind I live in South Florida and might be hard to bring the temps down too much.

You want to get that temp down a little somehow, maybe a cooler spot in the house?

Dangle
10-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I'll look around but it's in my room now, the coldest room in the house.

Titan410
10-14-2009, 11:39 PM
The issue with higher temperatures in your humidor is tobacco beetles. I'm sure someone with more knowledge on the subject will be along with more/better info.

zitro_joe
10-15-2009, 12:02 AM
ditto on the temp...

I have the same humi, I paid the same price and did not get the extras. It is nice and works well.

Dangle
10-15-2009, 08:44 AM
Any ideas on bringing the temperature down some? It's at 78 right now.

Slavac
10-15-2009, 08:54 AM

Cool room will help, such as a basement. Though when I lived in TX, that wasn't an issue so I kept my sticks in a closet where it was always 5deg cooler than the rest of the house.

Dangle
10-15-2009, 09:04 AM
No basements in Florida, the whole house is the same temperature, what about adding little baggies of cold water or something like that?

WhoDeySchenk
10-15-2009, 09:06 AM
congrats on your new humidor...soon you'll be like the rest of us. It was a year ago that I bought my first 25 ct. Humidor, then a month and a half later I bought a 150 ct, then 3 weeks ago I bought my first Edgestar fridge. Enjoy the ride on the slope...

ahc4353
10-15-2009, 09:09 AM
Congratulations on your first!!

Dux
10-15-2009, 09:10 AM

I sometimes use a freezer Pack wrapped in paper towel, but I'm not sure you have the room for one. Time for a cooler :tu

TheTraveler
10-15-2009, 09:13 AM
No basements in Florida, the whole house is the same temperature, what about adding little baggies of cold water or something like that?

Not sure how you'd go about that, plus changing the warm water out for cold water could be kinda high maintenance. Try keeping the humi down low, like the lowest shelf on a bookcase. I know you'll want to keep it up where it can easily be seen (I feel the same way) but heat rises and it's usually a degree or two cooler down low.

Also, I assume you have AC since you live in balmy Florida. How cool do you keep the house? An electric fan or ceiling fan on low in the room with your humi will circulate the air a bit more and might help a degree or two depending on how cool your house is already.

coastietech
10-15-2009, 10:49 AM
Dangle I forsee something much bigger in your future... I started with something that size about 3 months ago. Took me 2 months and 3humis to realize a cooler was the way to go!! :r

As for the temp sucks, but I have to keep my AC running all day to keep the house cool enough to maintain the cigars.

If you ever need a smoking partner in So Fl, shoot me a PM. :tu

Kreth
10-15-2009, 10:56 AM
Dangle I forsee something much bigger in your future...
This just made me :r
Posted via Mobile Device

ucla695
10-15-2009, 07:08 PM
You're off to a good start! Better start looking around for your next one. :r

johnkevin
10-18-2009, 11:32 PM
Thanks for showing this pictures....

itsme_timd
10-18-2009, 11:44 PM
Very nice start, congrats!

I remember getting my first humi. I put 5 sticks in it and said "Man, I'll NEVER fill this thing up!" :D

mariogolbee
10-19-2009, 12:00 AM
Dangle I live in California with no AC and started with a similar Humi. The temp in the house stayed around 80F everyday for a week and the next thing you know I had a holes in a cigar and beetle larvae. I had to chuck the cigar, freeze everything, and it worried me a lot afterwards. As I searched for answers I found the nest option for ME was a wine fridge. I found one for $50 at a thrift shop and have been shopping Craigslist for a second one. Temperature IS an issue. Like the setup though. Good luck!

Dangle
10-19-2009, 06:29 AM
I moved it toward a window, and temps are around 74 degrees, is this ok? Also if I get a bigger humidor with more room inside, would it be easier to keep cooler, or more difficult. I ran out of room in this one anyways.

longknocker
10-19-2009, 06:44 AM
I moved it toward a window, and temps are around 74 degrees, is this ok? Also if I get a bigger humidor with more room inside, would it be easier to keep cooler, or more difficult. I ran out of room in this one anyways.

74 Should be OK. I Keep The Majority of My Sticks in 3 "Coolidors". I Prefer The Marine Igloo 48 or so Qt. with Scott's Beads To Maintain RH @ 65. In Fact Scott (Shilala) Is Selling His beads now. Look For The Thread, "Shilala's Beads". I've Found That It Is So Much Easier To Maintain Your Cigars In Peak condition with a "Coolidor"!:tu

kelmac07
10-19-2009, 12:54 PM
Always buy bigger!!!

OHRD
10-19-2009, 01:06 PM
Great stuff, I started with a humi about that size as well. With the temp issues, I think your best option will have to be a closet like has already been said, away from any direct light. Congrats, hope you enjoy!