PDA

View Full Version : Humi Pillow question

md4958
10-14-2009, 08:10 AM
So lets just say I have a box or two of cigars that are VERY wet. And lets say that I'll be theoretically shipping them to a very cold area, and it might take a couple weeks to arrive.

Does a humi pillow have the ability to absorb moisture from the air in the way beads do, or do they just release moisture?

Slavac
10-14-2009, 08:33 AM
I don't believe so.

Consider that you have to immerse the pillow in water to 'active' it. Further, these often sit out in the open air and do not appear to absorb moisture.

If it were me, I'd sacrifice a palm full of heartfelt or Shilala beads, toss them in a small tupperware with holes in the top and be done w/ it.

md4958
10-14-2009, 08:42 AM
I know Bovedas are supposed to be two-way. I dont have any of those though.

elderboy02
10-14-2009, 08:51 AM
I know Bovedas are supposed to be two-way. I dont have any of those though.

Boveda's absorb moisture? I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

md4958
10-14-2009, 08:53 AM
Boveda's absorb moisture? I didn't know that. You learn something new every day.

http://www.boveda-direct.com/company/process.cfm

In Humid Environments
If the humidity inside the humidor starts to climb above the target humidity percentage printed on the packet, it will immediately absorb excess water-vapor until the humidity is lowered to the exact humidity target on the packet.

T.G
10-14-2009, 08:58 AM

Yup, they do. As do the humidipacks that Fuente and a few other manufacturers use. I recharge them all the time - when the pack starts to get crunchy, I just grab a tupperware container and seal the pack in there with a paper towel or two that have been saturated with distilled water - just make sure the pack and the towel aren't contacting each other, and then just wait a week. The back will be pretty close to fully recharged.

dunng
10-14-2009, 10:25 AM
I'm pretty sure they would... :tu

http://www.stogiefresh.com/journal/Cigar_Journal/Accessories/7F8A2902-9AD1-4445-BDB6-8235DA44D947.html

dunng
10-14-2009, 10:44 AM
From Kevin at Water Pillow -

In theory, yes…an unhydrated Water Pillow should act as a desiccant within an a sealed, over-humidified environment. The key would be to ensure that the WP cell is completely “dry”, as the polymer will seek to absorb moisture and create an equilibrium. This is the first request I’ve had for this application, however, and I cannot guarantee its success…however it stands to reason that this will help to reduce the moisture level in the cigars.

I hope this information helps…please let me know if it works! If I may answer any additional questions, please let me know.

alley00p
10-14-2009, 11:01 AM
So lets just say I have a box or two of cigars that are VERY wet. And lets say that I'll be theoretically shipping them to a very cold area, and it might take a couple weeks to arrive.

Does a humi pillow have the ability to absorb moisture from the air in the way beads do, or do they just release moisture?

Moe, I've used a new water pillow (place the blue part dry inside the plastic holder) and it will absorb some moisture from cigars. Not as well as a Boveda pack or beads do, but it does work. I've used them that way with a spare 20 stick humi to dry out some rather wet sticks. They would have to be in some sort of airtight container or at least a big ziplock bag. YMMV... :D

I usually buy 12 packs of pillows at Famous for about $6, when I'm placing an order. I like to use them when I'm shipping sticks. :tu

:dance:

md4958
10-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Thanks for all the info fellas. Im just gonna wait a couple days and dry box these before shipping them out.

JJG
10-14-2009, 11:16 AM
I think most humi packs use PG to regulate and if so they should be able to absorb moisture. right?

T.G
10-14-2009, 11:21 AM
From Kevin at Water Pillow -

In theory, yes…an unhydrated Water Pillow should act as a desiccant within an a sealed, over-humidified environment. The key would be to ensure that the WP cell is completely “dry”, as the polymer will seek to absorb moisture and create an equilibrium. This is the first request I’ve had for this application, however, and I cannot guarantee its success…however it stands to reason that this will help to reduce the moisture level in the cigars.

I hope this information helps…please let me know if it works! If I may answer any additional questions, please let me know.

Moe, I've used a new water pillow (place the blue part dry inside the plastic holder) and it will absorb some moisture from cigars. Not as well as a Boveda pack or beads do, but it does work. I've used them that way with a spare 20 stick humi to dry out some rather wet sticks. They would have to be in some sort of airtight container or at least a big ziplock bag. YMMV... :D

I usually buy 12 packs of pillows at Famous for about $6, when I'm placing an order. I like to use them when I'm shipping sticks. :tu

:dance:

If you cut the pillows open and dump the polymer gel into a jar or dish, then slilghtly hydrate it before placing it in a humidor, it tends to work better as both a dessicant and humidifier. I have a friend in Florida who swears by that method.

YMMV.

tenbaseg
10-14-2009, 01:56 PM
Moe, I don't live THAT far away. :r

ucla695
10-14-2009, 08:26 PM
Yup, they do. As do the humidipacks that Fuente and a few other manufacturers use. I recharge them all the time - when the pack starts to get crunchy, I just grab a tupperware container and seal the pack in there with a paper towel or two that have been saturated with distilled water - just make sure the pack and the towel aren't contacting each other, and then just wait a week. The back will be pretty close to fully recharged.

:tpd: I placed a shot glass filled with distilled water and a bone dry Fuente pillow into a tuperware container and it worked like a charm. Now they're nice and plump again. :tu

sodomanaz
10-14-2009, 09:23 PM
During this time of the year, most pillows arrive at my doorstep frozen anyway. This is usually the time that any cigar that arrives to me in the mail sits a lot longer in the humidor.

Slavac
10-14-2009, 09:29 PM
Huh. Learned something today.

SilverFox
10-14-2009, 10:00 PM
For future reference if you are looking for fast dry boxing silica beads work great you have all seen them, the are the little tea bag looking things that are shipped inside almost every electronics box and marked "Do Not Eat". They are used to prevent any moisture from forming during shipping and warwhousing that can vause damage to sensitive circuitry.

Next time you see them throw em with the rest of your accessories they make for helpful dryboxing accelerators

oh and kudos to Moe for giving a damn about his hypothetical situation.