PDA

View Full Version : What Happens @ a Cigar Event

E.J.
10-11-2009, 08:05 PM
Local B&M is having an Ashton event next weekend and I was just wondering what to expect?

We cannot smoke at the B&M....:td

dunng
10-11-2009, 08:13 PM
:O That makes no sense!

Typically you get to sample a cigar or two from the vendor and the they might have specials... :tu

jerseystepup
10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
can't smoke at the b&m?!?!? that i have never ever heard of!

dunng
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
As well, at a really good Ashton event they provide a VSG and you smoke it while sampling walnuts, Scotch, and chocolate cake to highlight the flavors... :tu

TripleF
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Usually at an event a particular cigar line is featuered: Rocky Patel, Oliva, Torano, Ashton, etc. In most cases you don't get a free sample. There are specials when you pruchase. In addition, there are usually raffles where cool cigar swag is given away.

We are having an Ashton event this Wed. You buy a ticket to get in. In exchange you get an Ashton Cigar, glass of wine, and a chocolate. That ticket will be good as a discount towards Ashton cigars purchases that night. That's how ours is running - doesn't mean that's how yours will be.

BUT NO SMOKING? You better double check that one bro.

dogface_313
10-11-2009, 08:31 PM
As well, at a really good Ashton event they provide a VSG and you smoke it while sampling walnuts, Scotch, and chocolate cake to highlight the flavors... :tu

I want to be in MA for one of these!!

GreekGodX
10-11-2009, 08:46 PM
Ashton does the same thing here in MI. Last one you paid 10 bucks, get a cigar and a coupon for 10 bucks off a purchase.

Events consist of smoking (not in your case obviously), good company, somewhat discounted prices, and raffles. Some special events you will get to meet the owner or master roller of the company. For example last event met Don Pepin.

Slavac
10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Hill Cigar in STLMO is having a Rocky Patel event in a few weeks.

Patel will be here, along with his local rep. They're doing a buy 3 cigars for entry, get a 4th at the door ($25 total).

10% off on all RP products.

Raffle swag.

Buy X get X free.

That sort of thing.

RightAJ
10-11-2009, 09:22 PM
Just went to an Ashton event and it was very nice. Gave some decent smokes away and you can use the enterance fee towards Ashton sticks. Scotch was great and the guys there were lots of fun. No smoking though? Never heard of a B&M that you can't smoke in. The ones I go to are fogged with smoke every time you walk in; as they should be!!

aj

Adriftpanda
10-11-2009, 09:58 PM
Local B&M is having an Ashton event next weekend and I was just wondering what to expect?

WTH? Usually it's kind of a meet and greet type of thing. Talk to other people and SMOKE. But in your case, not smoke. Most of the time they will have good deals.

E.J.
10-12-2009, 07:11 AM
Well, maybe they will have something set up outdoors near the shop to smoke....and it will probably be warm enough. But no, no smoking in the B&M here. In fact, I am not sure you can smoke indoors at any public place of business here(SLC, Utah)....? There is no smoking in bars ect.....

I am going to go to the event and hopefully there will be some discounts, which will force me to purchase some VSG and ESG cigars to sample.....

Dunkel
10-12-2009, 07:31 AM
Time to move bro. LOL

Skywalker
10-12-2009, 07:36 AM
No smoking???

Expect to have zero fun!!!:(

tuxpuff
10-12-2009, 07:53 AM
:confused:

E.J.
10-12-2009, 07:58 AM
Just reading the invite/announcement and it appears there will be "Sales, Drawings, Adult Beverages and Cordial Fellowship."

mikeyj23
10-12-2009, 08:04 AM
...stays @ a cigar event
Posted via Mobile Device

CigarNut
10-12-2009, 08:37 AM

Your profile does not say, so what state do you live in that you have this problem.

At least in Oregon -- a B&M that is a free-standing building with no walls adjoining other businesses can have smoking events.

McSmokey
10-12-2009, 08:52 AM
no smoking in a b&m makes no sense

wayner123
10-12-2009, 08:53 AM
What Happens @ a Cigar Event... stays at a Cigar Event.

E.J.
10-12-2009, 09:19 AM
Your profile does not say, so what state do you live in that you have this problem.

At least in Oregon -- a B&M that is a free-standing building with no walls adjoining other businesses can have smoking events.

Utah....

T.G
10-12-2009, 09:41 AM

Spankings.

And after the spankings...

s15driftking
10-12-2009, 09:54 AM
First of all, I wouldn't hang out at a non-smoker B&M let alone buy from them. I willingly pay higher prices at B&M's because I get more than just a cigar. I get a place to hang out and good friends who I've met there. It becomes more of an experience than anything else.

TripleF
10-12-2009, 10:11 AM
Time to move bro. LOL

:tpd:

E.J.
10-12-2009, 10:23 AM
First of all, I wouldn't hang out at a non-smoker B&M let alone buy from them. I willingly pay higher prices at B&M's because I get more than just a cigar. I get a place to hang out and good friends who I've met there. It becomes more of an experience than anything else.

Then you just wouldn't hang out at a B&M in Utah....

Of course I would love to be able to go into my B&M and have a drink and a smoke, pick their brains about different smokes and all things cigars. But as it is, I get to pick their brains, talk about all things cigars, have a nice collection of sticks....but don't get to smoke.

In the end, it is nicer to have it than not have it. Allowed me to drop in Saturday, on my way home from the Home Depot and pick up a Opus X Perfection #4 to smoke after my morning project(didn't actually burn that stick, though that was the plan). It is also nice because of its proximity to my home.

NCRadioMan
10-12-2009, 10:25 AM
Non-smoking b&m's are very common and will be more common as more anti-smoking laws are passed. Mine is a non-smoking b&m and would I like it if they could allow smoking, sure but I am still thankful they are there because the selection is second to none and if they were not, I would have to travel an hour and half to get to one in Charlotte and I hate going to Charlotte. In most cases, it's not the b&m's fault they can't allow smoking, it's these new laws prohibiting it. Great people work there ;) and they hold monthly events at a pub you can smoke in only because it's considered a "private event" and they are closed to the public on those days.

I say go to the event and enjoy yourself. :tu

Bubba - NJ
10-12-2009, 08:31 PM
Talk about torture . Just imagine working there all day talking about all the cigars and their different flavors and not being able to smoke any . :bh

BengalMan
10-12-2009, 09:39 PM
You also cannot smoke in cigar shops in Lexington and Louisville, KY due to smoking bans in their respected counties. Some shops ignore this, some follow it. The world we live in, it wouldn't surprise me if we start seeing more and more of this.

As far as what to expect, usually specials on singles and boxes. Raffles for hats, shirts, ash trays, samplers, etc. Most of all many BOTL to hang out and enjoy the hobby with.

BengalMan
10-12-2009, 09:42 PM

As I mentioned and others did, this is becoming more and more common due to smoking laws. It's the world we live in unfortunately. It's not their fault. They're a business just like any other and have to abide by the laws, good or bad. As the O.P. said, just because you can't smoke in there doesn't mean the shop sucks or they don't deserve customers business. A local shop still offers plenty of advantages to the local consumers, weather you can smoke in it or not.

E.J.
10-17-2009, 08:25 AM
Went to the event yesterday before my sons hockey game. I was on a very tight timeline, as I was transportation.

They did have tents, tables ect outside for smoking. It was a nice set up. Added bonus, the weather here has been BEAUTIFUL the past few days....

I was disappointed that I was not able to stay for a drink and smoke, just no time. Was able to make a small purchase(4 cigars, cutter and butane).

Think I may go back later this AM, even though it is pipe focused today.