PDA

View Full Version : SD Card Pictures missing?

kenstogie
10-11-2009, 07:48 AM
On a Whale watch cruise with the kids and the significant other and snapping away with my Canon. I go to review the pics and there gone!?!?!

I am sure they are probably still there I didn't format it or anything but what am I to do?

Isn't there software for data recovery or something?

dunng
10-11-2009, 07:53 AM
You can try this, I have had great luck and it is free! :tu

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Blueface
10-11-2009, 08:14 AM
Great link.
Thanks.
Will share with son who recently had the same problem.

Col. Kurtz
10-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Not trying to sound smart, but was the SD card fully inserted in the camera? I have snapped away like that and found the card empty, but the pics were on the camera's internal storage.

Just a thought...

Tenor CS
10-11-2009, 11:39 AM
If that doesn't work, I have a program I downloaded and paid for that came from the website http://the-undelete.com/. They call it D-Photo Recovery.

My memory card crapped out on me with over 1,000 photos on it. This was from an all day trip to the zoo. I was able to recovery EVERYTHING. It was well worth the $50 it cost me.

I also liked that, for the free downloaded version, it would display thumbnail images to show me what pictures it could recover. Few things suck worse than paying for a software that won't deliver as promised.

Sauer Grapes
10-11-2009, 12:54 PM
I've been told that you are supposed to format your card in the camera each time you put the card in. Might be over kill, but it's supposed to avoid the problem you are having.

dogface_313
10-11-2009, 01:17 PM
Not trying to sound smart, but was the SD card fully inserted in the camera? I have snapped away like that and found the card empty, but the pics were on the camera's internal storage.

Just a thought...

agree, check the camera's hard drive.

T.G
10-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I've been told that you are supposed to format your card in the camera each time you put the card in. Might be over kill, but it's supposed to avoid the problem you are having.

I don't think that is really going to do anything besides confirm that the connector is making good contact. But, it really won't hurt anything either.

kenstogie
10-13-2009, 10:54 AM
You can try this, I have had great luck and it is free! :tu

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Great link and it was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunatetly it didn't work :( any other ideas??

T.G
10-13-2009, 11:02 AM
Great link and it was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunatetly it didn't work :( any other ideas??

If the chip failed, then you might be sol.

You could try contacting a professional recovery service.

ade06
10-13-2009, 11:05 AM
If the chip failed, then you might be sol.

You could try contacting a professional recovery service.

I could contact one of our electronic forensic vendors for a quote if you're interested.

Scottastic
10-13-2009, 11:09 AM
Is it cold? I mean like really quite cold? That can have an effect on the card (mainly the power unit inside, yes there is a battery in there) that will stop it from saving/displaying photos.

kenstogie
10-13-2009, 01:57 PM
There just family photo's but were some good ones I thought too. I am just going concentrate on new better photographs. Many thanks to those that helped, what great bunch of BOTLS!

T.G
10-13-2009, 02:55 PM
There just family photo's but were some good ones I thought too. I am just going concentrate on new better photographs. Many thanks to those that helped, what great bunch of BOTLS!

Buy a new memory card first.

Don't give the existing one a second chance to fail on you.

T.G
10-13-2009, 02:57 PM
Is it cold? I mean like really quite cold? That can have an effect on the card (mainly the power unit inside, yes there is a battery in there) that will stop it from saving/displaying photos.

:confused:

SD cards are flash ram...

ade06
10-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Buy a new memory card first.

Don't give the existing one a second chance to fail on you.

And then back-up the pictures on your home computer (or another type of hard drive).

Tenor CS
10-13-2009, 03:57 PM
When my card failed, my computer wouldn't recognize the card in the reader. I had to format it in the camera first (scared that I would lose everything) but the program I recommended above recovered every single photo. Even ones that were MONTHS old that I thought were long gone. But the hundreds of photos from my zoo day were all saved.

kgoings
10-13-2009, 04:01 PM
Question, after you 'lost' the pictures...did you take anymore pictures?

If you did your SOL.

Once you write over the files they are gone. When they get deleted or formated, the files are there and can be recovered. If you write over them by taking more new pictures, you would need data forensics to recover them and that cost BIG bucks.

kenstogie
10-13-2009, 06:01 PM
Question, after you 'lost' the pictures...did you take anymore pictures?

If you did your SOL.

Once you write over the files they are gone. When they get deleted or formated, the files are there and can be recovered. If you write over them by taking more new pictures, you would need data forensics to recover them and that cost BIG bucks.
I did but not after I realized the older ones were gone. It was a 16g card and yes I am going to return it. It's only about 4 month old or so. Luckily I saved all the pics on it the day before so not much was lost.

It's funny but after I tried to retrieve the pics it shows the pictures and I have 5 mgb of data (for each of the pics appx) but the picture doesn't open. Strange.

Tenor CS
10-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Kenstogie, if you trust me to mail me the card I can try to recover the pics using my software, then burn it to DVD's and mail them back to you. It'll save you $50. Let me know.

ucla695
10-13-2009, 07:33 PM
I accidentally deleted my honeymoon pics several years ago :eek: and a local camera shop was able to recover them. I suggest calling around and see who can help you out.

Sauer Grapes
10-13-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't think that is really going to do anything besides confirm that the connector is making good contact. But, it really won't hurt anything either.

All I know is that the guy that trains us from Nikon says it is the most important step to do. Something about how it writes. He never mentioned the contact so I don't think that was his reasoning.

kenstogie
10-14-2009, 06:24 AM
Kenstogie, if you trust me to mail me the card I can try to recover the pics using my software, then burn it to DVD's and mail them back to you. It'll save you $50. Let me know.

A most generous offer but there weren't that many lost just the boating excursion. It's unfortunate yes but I'll live.

kenstogie
10-14-2009, 06:26 AM
i accidentally deleted my honeymoon pics several years ago :eek: And a local camera shop was able to recover them. I suggest calling around and see who can help you out. :jd Wow. Good deal with the camera shop or considering the fairer sexes memory you might still be scratching fleas.