PDA

View Full Version : Cigars Issues.....

MrOneEyedBoh
10-10-2009, 08:00 PM
Alright guys I'm having some cigar issues. Before I get bashed I'm going to say I did search.

Now, I seem to be having my cigars wrapper come apart white smkoing. Some split in the middle, some unpeel in the middle, and some get/have small cracks in their sides.

The temps are no higher than 70 and the humidity is around 68 no higher than 70% ever. But the burn is even and I never have to relight... Any ideas? Could they be bad sticks possibly? But like 3-4 in a row? :td

md4958
10-10-2009, 08:01 PM
all the same brand?

MrOneEyedBoh
10-10-2009, 08:04 PM
No, different ones.. But the cigars look ok in the humi. I havent really taken them all out and looked at them. I dont want to touch them and damage the wrapper.

Also, some are tasting like rotten eggs. WEll not really that, but similar to that. I'm using a butane lighter ( jet light ).. Could I be lighting it too hot? As far as puttting too much flame on the cigar, and not the heat?

What about this ( just thought of this ) could I be smoking the cigar too fast to cause the taste and the wrapper problems?

Whee
10-10-2009, 08:06 PM
Too wet could cause them to split. I have this problem with DPG Blacks. Can never seem to dry box them enough to keep from splitting.

md4958
10-10-2009, 08:07 PM
sounds like the RH is a bit on the high side. The high RH can give the cigars a funky taste, and the wrapper can burst while smoking.

Do a little experiment, dry box a few over night or for 48 hours and see if you still have the same problems.

you havent stored your cigars near any funky chemicals have you?

AD720
10-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Is the Hygro calibrated?

If it is 70% is still a bit high.:2

Kreth
10-10-2009, 08:09 PM
How do the cigars feel? if you squeeze them, they should give a little bit, but not be spongy. If they're too wet, they can swell and they'll feel almost like a wooden dowel. Swelling can also cause wrappers to split/unravel.
Posted via Mobile Device

MrOneEyedBoh
10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
AHH I have seen one kinda swell towards the nub.. Like where I was holding it at, ya know?

Umm no chemicals at all. and humidity is never higher than 70%. I'm having a hard time keeping it at 65%. I have 1lb in a humidor that needs like 7 oz. so I know they are doing fine. and the beads are not all clear, so some are white and that means its going to pull excess humidity from the humidor.

And the hygrometers are calibrated.

EDIT: I've seen this said dry boxing several times. I would guess that is to keep a cigar out in an empty box for X amount of days before smoking?

JJG
10-10-2009, 08:16 PM
How cold is it where you are? I've only had chronic wrapper splitting issues when it was very cold outside. If that's not the case, I say bring the RH down a bit. If you don't have some beads or PG gel, get some asap!

MrOneEyedBoh
10-10-2009, 08:19 PM
Its cold, but temps no lower than 65% and no higher than 75% I knwo its a big swing, but why turn on AC for one day? and I love the cold, windows opened here 24/7

Whee
10-10-2009, 08:24 PM
AHH I have seen one kinda swell towards the nub.. Like where I was holding it at, ya know?

Umm no chemicals at all. and humidity is never higher than 70%. I'm having a hard time keeping it at 65%. I have 1lb in a humidor that needs like 7 oz. so I know they are doing fine. and the beads are not all clear, so some are white and that means its going to pull excess humidity from the humidor.

And the hygrometers are calibrated.

EDIT: I've seen this said dry boxing several times. I would guess that is to keep a cigar out in an empty box for X amount of days before smoking?

A box with no humidification device in it. If you live where it's cold, your humidity issues should go down. My smokes always seem to smoke better in the winter where you can't ring a drop of moisture out of the air.

Kreth
10-10-2009, 08:25 PM
One other thought. If you throw in a lot of sticks in a short period of time, it'll take a bit for your RH to settle. Whenever I get smokes from CI (for example) they're pretty wet, and my RH will jump a bit, then slowly settle back down over a few days.
Posted via Mobile Device

JJG
10-10-2009, 08:26 PM
Its cold, but temps no lower than 65% and no higher than 75% I knwo its a big swing, but why turn on AC for one day? and I love the cold, windows opened here 24/7

nah, that shouldn't cause problems. but when it gets down in the 30's outside the cigars can split. I'm stumped. :confused:

adampc22
10-10-2009, 08:27 PM
Is the Hygro calibrated?

70% is prity normal for the rest of the world its just americans and canadians that like to keep them ''dry'' at like 65% lol

MrOneEyedBoh
10-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Thats what I thought. Its weird...

Also in my Vino I cannot get rid of this damn smell. I did the baking soda twice and the 2nd time I loaded it up with baking soda. Took me like 20 mins to clean it out a few days later.

Now I have it filled with cedar boxes, 2lbs of beads and around 8oz of distilled water in a cup.

Kreth
10-10-2009, 10:07 PM

Also in my Vino I cannot get rid of this damn smell. I did the baking soda twice and the 2nd time I loaded it up with baking soda. Took me like 20 mins to clean it out a few days later.

Now I have it filled with cedar boxes, 2lbs of beads and around 8oz of distilled water in a cup.
Wait, you have a cup of water in the Vino with your smokes? That's probably your issue right there. Your beads will have a tough time regulating RH with another source of moisture in there.
Posted via Mobile Device

MrOneEyedBoh
10-10-2009, 10:11 PM
Noooo sorry. I bought a vino and I just turned it on today for the first time. I have boxes in there ( empty ) with my 2lbs of beads.

And then I have a separate humi with cigars in it, and that is where the problem is. In my desktop, not in the vino. Sorry for the confusion.

jwfish81
10-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Now, I seem to be having my cigars wrapper come apart white smkoing. Some split in the middle, some unpeel in the middle, and some get/have small cracks in their sides.

The temps are no higher than 70 and the humidity is around 68 no higher than 70% ever. But the burn is even and I never have to relight... Any ideas? Could they be bad sticks possibly? But like 3-4 in a row? :td

I have been having the same problem lately, but it only seems to be with my red & brown label Tatuajes. Most others I smoke seem to hold on just fine, lately I've been also smoking Olivas. Anyone else had probs with their tats?

wayner123
10-10-2009, 10:35 PM
Is the Hygro calibrated?

:tpd:

This is important. Please make sure your hygro is accurate. What you are describing sounds exactly like RH is too high. May I ask what kind of hygro you have?

T.G
10-10-2009, 11:08 PM
What about this ( just thought of this ) could I be smoking the cigar too fast to cause the taste and the wrapper problems?

Yes, that is a possibility.

MrOneEyedBoh
10-10-2009, 11:14 PM
Hmm alright. I did calibrate it. I did the test for two days and then re did it for 3 days. I used the salt test, the hygrometer is a hygroset 2 http://www.cigarmony.com/hygrosetiicalibrationdigitalhygrometer-rectangular.aspx

sodomanaz
10-11-2009, 06:04 AM

Well, what's it smell like? Does it smell kind of like plastic? It's a manufactured item, so you get a bit of that new stink. Try washing with unscented soap and let it air out for a while. Do this a couple of times until it seems ok to you.

Also, make sure the cedar boxes you are using aren't chemically treated. Those might be giving you a stink as well.

AD720
10-11-2009, 07:05 AM
70% is prity normal for the rest of the world its just americans and canadians that like to keep them ''dry'' at like 65% lol

That's why I threw in the ":2". My cigars seem to taste bad once they start pushing 68, 69%.

Mr. Ed
10-11-2009, 08:22 AM
IMO, too wet. Bring the RH down. :2

MrOneEyedBoh
10-11-2009, 07:29 PM
Well, what's it smell like? Does it smell kind of like plastic? It's a manufactured item, so you get a bit of that new stink. Try washing with unscented soap and let it air out for a while. Do this a couple of times until it seems ok to you.

Also, make sure the cedar boxes you are using aren't chemically treated. Those might be giving you a stink as well.

Yeah its the new item smell. I have boxes in there with some beads and the unit is on. I'm hoping the boxes will absorb the smell maybe...
IMO, too wet. Bring the RH down. :2

its like 63-67% on average. No higher than 70% ever though.

icehog3
10-11-2009, 07:34 PM
Do you have 70% beads?

MrOneEyedBoh
10-11-2009, 08:12 PM
no 65% From cigar mony. I did season the humidor and I wet the beads accordingly. Like I said, they are mixed white and clear beads. And I have not added any new sticks in sometime.

Mr. Ed
10-11-2009, 08:21 PM
its like 63-67% on average. No higher than 70% ever though.

Maybe try 60% beads? The swelling, cracking and unraveling of the wrapper all sound like the cigars are too wet. :2

MrOneEyedBoh
10-11-2009, 09:30 PM
Yeah thtas what I thought

wayner123
10-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Well if it's not an issue of too high RH in the humi, the only other thing I can think of is that the large change in temp might have an effect. Example; the cigars are kept at around 80 deg's and you smoke them in 60 below weather. The cigars don't have time to adjust and the wrapper splits due to vapor combustion.

MrOneEyedBoh
10-12-2009, 05:32 PM
yeah I think that might be it Wayner, I smoked three today one had it bad, one did not and the last one was great. I'm not sure whats what..

What should I do when I get the cigars? Let them sit in a box in my room for a day or two and then put them in the desktop?

I hope I dont have this problem with the Vino..

icehog3
10-12-2009, 05:34 PM
yeah I think that might be it Wayner, I smoked three today one had it bad, one did not and the last one was great. I'm not sure whats what..

What should I do when I get the cigars? Let them sit in a box in my room for a day or two and then put them in the desktop?

Put them all in the Vino? ;)

AD720
10-12-2009, 06:31 PM

I would just take the beads out until things settle down.

MrOneEyedBoh
10-12-2009, 06:45 PM
That wont harm the cigars? I'll pull them out tonight. Now with the cigars that have busted wrappers... They are still smokeable right? Thye may just burn funky and mis-shaped?

T.G
10-12-2009, 07:50 PM
That wont harm the cigars? I'll pull them out tonight.

Nope, not at all (unless you are talking about something like leaving them out on the dasboard of your car in the Nevada/Arizona noon sun). They don't loose moisture that fast, plus it sounds like you want them to shed some excess moisture anyway.

Now with the cigars that have busted wrappers... They are still smokeable right? Thye may just burn funky and mis-shaped?

Yes, still smokeable. If they are really bad, you can get some pectin (canning products isle at the supermarket) and use a little bit of it to glue the wrappers down. Or you can chop them up and smoke them in a pipe.

MrOneEyedBoh
10-12-2009, 08:59 PM
Thanks again TG. I'll let them sit out. Or should I just remove the beads and leave the cigars in the humidor w/o beads until like thursday or end of the week

T.G
10-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks again TG. I'll let them sit out. Or should I just remove the beads and leave the cigars in the humidor w/o beads until like thursday or end of the week

Welcome bro.

Leaving cigars out for a week can be done, although how much it will affect them just depends on what the conditions are where you leave them and if they are in boxes or cello or both, I would advise against it for the sake of erring on the side of caution.

Take the humidifier(s) out of the humidor and maybe leave the lid/door on the humidor open for six or eight hours. Then close the lid and check on the humidity levels the next day. If it is low, that's ok, remember, that's the moisture in the air in the humidor, not the moisture in the cigars that you are measuring. If those cigars are in cello, it could easily take a few days for them to shed some moisture, and they won't do that unless the humidor is at a lower humidity than "they are".

MrOneEyedBoh
10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Will do tonight and I'll report back.