PDA

View Full Version : Be Grateful

ahc4353
10-10-2009, 06:47 PM
Things have been kinda rough around here the past couple of years as it has for many. Stress levels high and many sleepless nights with worry. One morning a couple of weeks ago I was having breakfast with Alina as we always do. I had noticed that the previous few days Alina was much more at ease and much happier than I have seen her in a long time. I told her it was nice to see her smile more as of late. She then told me that each morning when she wakes, she tells herself to be grateful. Simply be grateful for what she has. She then thinks of all the things she/we have to be grateful for and it makes her smile and the days troubles seem not so overwhelming. So, now I do the same. Each morning I tell myself, be grateful, and I run through all the things I have to be grateful for. I have a fantastic wife, three unbelievable sons, a roof over my head, a job and the friends I have made on CA. It's a simple thing to do, reminding yourself to be grateful, but life has a way of making it hard to see the forest for the trees sometimes.

The friendships that I have here have helped not only me but my family as well through some very stressful times. I have been fortunate to have met some of these people in person. However, many more (and some of the closest) I have yet to meet in person and I might not ever get the chance to shake their hand. That's okay, I'm grateful we have CA to help keep us close.

Give it a try one morning when you have had a bad few days and see if it makes your day any better.

Wishing each of you and yours the best that life has to offer.

pnoon
10-10-2009, 06:49 PM
Well put, Al.

I have a motto which summarizes your post - "The glass is ALWAYS half full."

dunng
10-10-2009, 06:51 PM
:tu

chippewastud79
10-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Very well put Al. As I like to say, "I'm too blessed to be depressed." :tu

captain53
10-10-2009, 07:07 PM
Times are difficult and most of us are distressed or depressed to some degree. Once in a while we are better to recognize the good friends and family we have as well admitting we are truly blessed to be as well off as we are.

Thanks for bringing the thought forward!:tu

Conch Republican
10-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Having an attitude of gratitude always helps!

Starscream
10-10-2009, 07:17 PM
Well said.

G G
10-10-2009, 07:34 PM
Thanks once again Al, for bringing me down to earth buddy.:tu

md4958
10-10-2009, 07:44 PM
:tu

Old Sailor
10-10-2009, 07:45 PM
:tu:tu:tu

RevSmoke
10-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Glad to hear this.

I have taken a couple mottos.

1) When the glass is empty, that simply means it is waiting for you to fill it with what you want in it.

2) I vowed to make no more New Year's or Lenten Vows. I have kept those promises since 1995.

3) Take a moment each day to hug someone near you. When you discover how much THEY needed it, your issues pale in comparison.

4) If your day is crappy, sit back - pour yourself a short one - pick out a cigar - and think about fishing with your children. (Always puts me in a good mood.)

elderboy02
10-10-2009, 07:47 PM
Well said Al. Thanks :tu

SmokeyJoe
10-10-2009, 09:10 PM
Al... you are absolutely right.

Thanks for being one of the people I am grateful for in my life. :D

kayaker
10-10-2009, 09:33 PM
:tu:tu:tu

Thanks Al.

awsmith4
10-10-2009, 10:13 PM
Amen brother!

14holestogie
10-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Well said, Al. Being my usual pessimistic self, I need to remind myself constantly how good I actually have it. With family and friends, if all else would disappear, life would still be good.

DPD6030
10-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I need to start doing this more often.

Scottw
10-11-2009, 07:51 AM
Nicely put Al. Alina hit the nail on the head with this one.

Blueface
10-11-2009, 07:58 AM
Al,
Great thoughts.
I HAVE to follow that concept daily as otherwise, a condition can set in. A condition that causes some to rely on meds to contain it, but something I completely refrain from. I have learned to fight it with happy thoughts. This week was a challenge for me as you and many know. Wasn't easy to readily come up with "happy" thoughts but I did it eventually and have moved on for now.
Hang in there. If it has anything to do with that dreaded "d", same word as what happened in America in the late 20's to late 30's word (depression for some that may be scratching their heads and haven't figured it all out yet:D), after 50 years, I am a pro at fighting it and am here to lend a hand.

Don Fernando
10-11-2009, 11:44 AM
Great post Al.

As many of you know, I am a fan of Living Colour and one of their songs "this is the life" has lyrics that put me down to earth everytime I need it, and it goes well with the theme of this topic.

In another life
You might have been a genius
In another life
You might have been a star
In another life
Your face might have been perfect
In another life
You’d drive a better car

In another life
All your jokes are funny
In another life
Your heart is free from fear
In another life
You make a lot of money
In this other life
Everything is clear

In another life
You’re always the hero
In another life
You always win the game
In another life
No one ever cheats you
In another life
You never have to change

In another life
Your friends never desert you
In another life
You never have to cry
In another life
No one ever hurts you
In this other life
Your loved-ones never die

But this is the life you have
This is the life you have
This is the life you have
This is the life

In another life
You’re always the victim
In another life
You’re always the thief
In another life
You are always lonely
In this other life
There is no relief

In your real life
Treat it like it’s special
In your real life
Try to be more kind
In your real life
Think of those that love you
In this real life
Try to be less blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6okNaPSRdlI

Ahbroody
10-11-2009, 12:04 PM
Good stuff Al made me think.
Things are definetly tough over here as with most people. Pretty much every month we look at the account and say How in the hell are we going to make it this month. If I dont work a lot of OT we are screwed. Killed myself working OT this month just so I could get a box of sticks for the first time in months :r Sometimes we just look at each other and start laughing its so sad. Like you said though we have a house and jobs and 3 great little kids and a ton of love in the house. There are some big things that I am very thankfull for.

I am going to start trying to do this every morning.

BlackDog
10-11-2009, 12:28 PM
Thanks for the reminder Al. I've been having trouble with this lately. Sometimes being middle aged, tired, and responsible doesn't seem all that great.

ahc4353
10-13-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't know how I left my two dogs out of the OP for things I am truly grateful for. Max and Annabelle are always there to listen and bring a smile. I know it sounds goofy but I can't envision life without a dog or two around the house. I have had dogs my entire life and will continue to do so as long as I can take care of them. They have heard and seen me at my worst and still stay by my side. Dogs have a special way of calming and removing stress from my life and I am grateful they keep me around. :)

troy d.
10-16-2009, 08:26 PM
amen, very well put. i needed to read that.