PDA

View Full Version : Obama wins Nobel Peace Prize - Discuss

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 11:56 AM
Treading lightly, I can't help myself but put this out there.

REALLY?

Let's not get into political debate...just whether or not the guy really deserves it. A discussion, as a person and his ACCOMPLISHMENTS.

I say NO!

Come on....

Times must be harder than we think...205 seems like a pretty low turnout of submissions for the prize to me (note submissions were made by February 1st so Obama had a full 12 days in office to put this in the bag)!

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2009/...bel-prize-win/

Get your submissions in now for 2010; YOU might just have a shot!

Some other articles on the topic: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/lisa-g..._b_315168.html

The peace prize was created partly to encourage ongoing peace efforts but Obama's efforts are at far earlier stages than past winners'. The Nobel committee acknowledged that they may not bear fruit at all.

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_314907.html

ade06
10-09-2009, 11:57 AM
Yeah... I'm going to stay clear of this thread :)

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 11:59 AM
Ooof, I know, I know, Ade...

But seriously....I feel as if the organization just f'd themselves and are making a mockery of the Prize and everyone who has won in the past.

I don't feel the guy deserves it....yet.

I understand their 'intent' but boy did they f' up.

KidRock
10-09-2009, 12:01 PM
who cares...I thought there was an economic struggle going on....

Mugen910
10-09-2009, 12:02 PM
prob best to lock this one up...it will prob go into a political thing Dave..

Blindjimme
10-09-2009, 12:03 PM
http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu264/Blindjimme/popcorn.gif

King James
10-09-2009, 12:04 PM
A list of a few of the people that Mr. Obama beat out:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/10/meet_the_people_who_were_passe.asp

with that, Im outta here!

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Sorry guys if I you feel I might be promoting political debate but let's just keep politics out of this thread.

I made no mention of my political viewpoint..I just think it's nuts. Has nothing to do with politics really, just what the guy has accomplished in order to EARN the prize....we should be okay, I'd think.

And know I go to Jim's link.

s15driftking
10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
I'll bite, and this is merely my opinion on his image and technique...

What a bunch of propaganda & hooplah... he's no saint, he's diabolical and only out for his best interest... or those conductors who pull the strings...

Here's what i wrote to the WSJ the day after the joint session about a month back....

The stench of stale & outdated propaganda must still linger in the room after last night’s joint session of congress. I cannot believe the tactics that were used in trying to convince the general public that they were doing the right thing by supporting Obama’s healthcare reform plan. Did anyone else notice that many members of the GOP sat there with the look of disgust written across their faces in reaction to statements that seemed to be written by Marx & Engels?

I’m no expert! I am a 26 year old male who is a few years out of school (state school: art degree) that is forging ahead to do “great things” (I use that term loosely) in the business world rather than become an artist. Was it just me? Or, does anyone else feel that President Obama lacks business acumen and sounds ridiculous when he uses slang terms such as “jacked up” in regards to availability and cost of healthcare. Come on people! This man is insane in regards to his projections versus the actual outcomes of this reform.

I want to make a personal note now to our beloved friend Barry (sarcasm).

Obama, I understand that your plan is to “keep insurance companies honest”… Well, I would retort with asking you to be honest and quit slighting and attempting to circumvent the need to confront and answer how the “tough angles” will have to be “worked out” as you so quietly/quickly put it. Sir, please explicate. Let us confront and discuss those tough issues/angles and let us talk about how we are going to (as you said) “work them out”…. Or maybe, just maybe you don’t want these issues to surface on national television because even the derelicts that exist would see fault and reason to not support your “need” for healthcare reform.

Point # 2:
I was relaxing at a local cigar shop about two months ago when I noticed a new face amongst the crowd. I struck up a conversation with the gentleman and after introductions I soon found out that he was a trauma surgeon who worked in a medium-large sized (500 bed) hospital in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We began to speak about the plan that Obama had for our national healthcare system and he explained to me two very valid points. 1. He noted that if the bill was passed he would terminate his employment with that hospital and use his earnings/savings to become an entrepreneur and go in to some other form of business. 2. He noted that when many others followed suit that our country would then be ridden with B-level surgeons, doctors, practitioners, etc who didn’t fall into that “top 10th percentile of graduates” and now are eligible to be trusted in practicing medicine because that’s the best we could get due to all the A-level employees quitting their jobs/practices. How does that make you feel America?

All my Best,

jledou
10-09-2009, 12:11 PM
:2, but like the person or not and politics aside this is good for the global image of the United States as a whole.

Darrell
10-09-2009, 12:13 PM
Say no to Political threads.

Blueface
10-09-2009, 12:13 PM
I think you make a great point that this CAN be a non political discussion. Will it? Remains to be seen.
I think I totally agree the merits is incredibly questionable.
However, go back to 2001 and note what famous Cuban was nominated. That was equally as absurd.

Good luck with this thread as time will tell the direction it takes.
I am going to take a nap.

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 12:15 PM
:2, but like the person or not and politics aside this is good for the global image of the United States as a whole.

Yes and no, Jay...I kind of agree with the writer of that Huffington Post that it could be pointing out that he hasn't done enough. I do agree that guy has done a great job SO FAR improving our image overseas. I just would have liked him to continue and do MORE (real solid accomplishments like peace in the middle east or something) in order to earn such a prestigious award, 'ya know?

And Bobbie, ya may have blown this one up!

BlackDog
10-09-2009, 12:18 PM
An interesting fact about the Nobel Peace Prize: Nominations had to be turned in by Fenruary 1, 2009. President Obama had only been in office for 12 days when he was nominated.

jledou
10-09-2009, 12:21 PM
Yes and no, Jay...I kind of agree with the writer of that Huffington Post that it could be pointing out that he hasn't done enough. I do agree that guy has done a great job SO FAR improving our image overseas. I just would have liked him to continue and do MORE (real solid accomplishments like peace in the middle east or something) in order to earn such a prestigious award, 'ya know?

And Bobbie, ya may have blown this one up!

Total merits on which the award was won ... I will agree that it would be suspect as to if everything would add up ... sad to say it but there probably should not have been a winner this year

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Yeah, that's what's in that Fox news link above. Pretty funny. Sure, they have between that time & September to make a decision but come on...the nomination should have been warranted BY Feb. 1 and really, did he EARN the prize by Feb. 1?

mrreindeer
Total merits on which the award was won ... I will agree that it would be suspect as to if everything would add up ... sad to say it but there probably should not have been a winner this year

Jay, I nominate YOU for 2010!

jledou
An interesting fact about the Nobel Peace Prize: Nominations had to be turned in by Fenruary 1, 2009. President Obama had only been in office for 12 days when he was nominated.

when people are involved there is always politics being played ... any questions see the BCS :D

jledou
10-09-2009, 12:24 PM
Jay, I nominate YOU for 2010!

Thanks David, I'll get my speech ready :r

ahc4353
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
I just put Fox and his Phatness in for next year. :tu

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 12:25 PM
when people are involved there is always politics being played ... any questions see the BCS :D

What people? We're all computers.

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 12:26 PM

Uh oh, Jay!

md4958
10-09-2009, 12:28 PM
glad to see Mr Obama lumped in there with Mother Theresa :tu

themoneycollector
10-09-2009, 12:42 PM

Well, they have contributed to a country's economic growth and supported USPS :r

Another vote from me +1

Drazzil
10-09-2009, 12:46 PM
No. He didn't deserve the Nobel prize. But half the people who get it dont deserve it nowindays.

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 12:47 PM
Well, they have contributed to a country's economic growth and supported USPS :r

Another vote from me +1

Damn right....

And I've been reminded of others he shares company with.

Yasser Arafat, a master terrorist, was awarded the prize in 1994.

THAT is truly when the prize took a dive for me.

And now I wonder why I care....

It's....it's....it's just that it's SUPPOSED TO BE such an honor...

And I have way too much time on my hands to be discussing this stupid thing. :D

md4958
10-09-2009, 12:52 PM
And I have way too much time on my hands to be discussing this stupid thing. :D

:tpd:

dont you have a newborn? shouldnt you be doing something more interesting, like change a diaper perhaps?

King James
10-09-2009, 12:55 PM
This just in: Obama awarded Nobel Prize in Chemistry for mixing himself a whiskey with Red Bull onboard Air Force One.

LOL!

Back on point. I do find it odd that he was President for less than 2 weeks when he was nominated. And just find it so insulting to the people he beat out (if you look @ the link above)

Maybe it does pan out and he does improve relations, but hold off on the Nobel Prize until then.....don't give it now just because he is thinking about fixing relations, or has sorta started to try and fix relations

jledou
10-09-2009, 01:00 PM
Maybe the Nobel committee is really just a bunch of psychics, or a bunch of ...

mrreindeer
10-09-2009, 01:08 PM
:tpd:

dont you have a newborn? shouldnt you be doing something more interesting, like change a diaper perhaps?

yeah, but stuck here at work....really wanting to get outta here!

Jay, psychics or psychos...

tedrodgerscpa
10-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Whew... Potentially dangerous thread, but glad to see that it's still civil. Before it gets bad, I wanted to make a comment.

My only contribution to this thread are two simple facts.

1. Nobel prizes are ONLY awarded to a person who is living - source http://nobelprize.org/contact/faq/index.html

2.Mahatma Gandhi NEVER won a Nobel Peace Prize.

ahc4353
10-09-2009, 01:18 PM
Well, I think the NY Rangers should be given this years Stanley Cup now cuz I know they are gonna try real hard. :bh

jledou
10-09-2009, 01:24 PM
Well, I think the NY Rangers should be given this years Stanley Cup now cuz I know they are gonna try real hard. :bh

Funny that's the same thing Jamarcus Russel (Raiders QB) says when he throws the ball ... "I tried real hard to throw it to the receiver ..."

wrench turner 85
10-09-2009, 01:28 PM
obama wining the NPP :pu
how am i going to protest this :al

Blueface
10-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Al,
Can we throw in a Championship for my Yankees given they won 103 games?
How about based on the fact they intended to win 162?
Please?

Whee
10-09-2009, 01:33 PM
This won't end well.

ahc4353
10-09-2009, 01:34 PM
Al,
Can we throw in a Championship for my Yankees given they won 103 games?
How about based on the fact they intended to win 162?
Please?

Sure Carlos I don't see why not. :)

replicant_argent
10-09-2009, 01:41 PM
I give it 8 and a half hours. The equivalent of PBO's Senatorial experience.

Sawyer
10-09-2009, 01:46 PM
While he is receiving awards he shouldn't, let's help him win the Heisman trophy too.

Go HERE (http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/theheismanvote/2009/) and put him in as a write in vote.

Dux
10-09-2009, 01:48 PM
It must have been the beer summit..

I think this is the europeans applying political pressure and trying to force the US out of Afghanistan.

Bear in mind, the nominations for this prize were due by February 1st, 12 days after he took office.

Pilon
10-09-2009, 01:52 PM
What did he do? I don't understand. Can I get one too? They should just start putting them into cracker jack boxes.

ahc4353
10-09-2009, 01:54 PM
I give it 8 and a half hours. The equivalent of PBO's Senatorial experience.

What's the over/under on the total post count?

mithrilG60
10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
Back on point. I do find it odd that he was President for less than 2 weeks when he was nominated. And just find it so insulting to the people he beat out (if you look @ the link above)

I don't think the issue is really how long he was or wasn't President prior to being nominated, after all the vast majority of past winners have never been President/Prime Minister/etc of their respective country. I think the real question is has he actually done anything to warrant such an honour? At this point I think the answer has to be no. He made a lot of great noise during the presidential race but so far has yet to achieve anything from his foreign policy list which would likely be the most applicable to the Nobel Peace Prize.

There's no doubt he's had a positive effect on the US' global image and personally I have great hopes that he will achieve really significant things both for the US and the rest of the world, I don't really think this is warranted yet. There should be more to winning the Nobel Peace Prize than just being perceived as better than your predecessor (especially considering the exceptionally foul odour which, deservedly or not, which most of the world saw GWB in).

md4958
10-09-2009, 02:09 PM
What's the over/under on the total post count?

any action on which MOD will be the one to shut it down? Im taking Tom.

icehog3
10-09-2009, 02:30 PM
any action on which MOD will be the one to shut it down? Im taking Tom.

Not a bad bet, Moe. ;)

I am amazd it has been non-political this long. I am skeptical that it will last.

mmblz
10-09-2009, 02:33 PM
To be honest, I do not feel that I deserve to be in the company of so many of the transformative figures who've been honored by this prize -- men and women who've inspired me and inspired the entire world through their courageous pursuit of peace.
But I also know that this prize reflects the kind of world that those men and women, and all Americans, want to build -- a world that gives life to the promise of our founding documents. And I know that throughout history, the Nobel Peace Prize has not just been used to honor specific achievement; it's also been used as a means to give momentum to a set of causes. And that is why I will accept this award as a call to action -- a call for all nations to confront the common challenges of the 21st century.
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10/09/transcript-of-obamas-remarks-on-nobel-peace-prize/

timo
10-09-2009, 02:38 PM
http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/timothyjok/r3858280418.jpg
Ya gotta love the guy nobel or nonobel

Mr. Ed
10-09-2009, 02:57 PM

I don't know that Obama was checking anything out over there (I've ummm ermmm investigated this video many times) and it seems he was just letting the young lady pass and was looking past her. Sarkozy, on the other hand, kind of reminds me the cartoon wolf with bulging eyes and spinning bow tie :D

Blueface
10-09-2009, 03:04 PM
While he is receiving awards he shouldn't, let's help him win the Heisman trophy too.

Go HERE (http://promo.espn.go.com/espn/contests/theheismanvote/2009/) and put him in as a write in vote.

Done!!!
I say more do the same.:r:r:r

Savor the Stick
10-09-2009, 03:06 PM
Obama--:td--nope

cricky101
10-09-2009, 03:08 PM
http://www.politicsdaily.com/2009/10/09/transcript-of-obamas-remarks-on-nobel-peace-prize/

Thanks for the link. Hadn't seen that yet.

wrench turner 85
10-09-2009, 03:14 PM
Not a bad bet, Moe. ;)

I am amazd it has been non-political this long. I am skeptical that it will last.

IMO, I think tom, its because thers a general agrement on this with everybody thats posed. the agrement is as i quote a U.K. news papers front page today "obama wins the nobel peace pize......WTF"

ade06
10-09-2009, 03:18 PM
IMO, I think tom, its because thers a general agrement on this with everybody thats posed. the agrement is as i quote a U.K. news papers front page today "obama wins the nobel peace pize......WTF"

Or people may be holding their tounges while attempting to avoid political clashes on CA. :2

wrench turner 85
10-09-2009, 03:19 PM
Or people may be holding their tounges while attempting to avoid political clashes on CA. :2

maby that to

King James
10-09-2009, 03:28 PM
I don't think the issue is really how long he was or wasn't President prior to being nominated, after all the vast majority of past winners have never been President/Prime Minister/etc of their respective country. I think the real question is has he actually done anything to warrant such an honour? At this point I think the answer has to be no. He made a lot of great noise during the presidential race but so far has yet to achieve anything from his foreign policy list which would likely be the most applicable to the Nobel Peace Prize.

In this case, I think time in office is worth noting, based on the reasons that they gave for given him the award. Although I would agree time in political office does not matter, in general.

And regardless of time in office, the point you raised about doing nothing to deserve it (at least yet) is an even better reason it is not his time to win.

The Nobel prize isn't going anywhere, let the guy actually accomplish something before you start throwing awards out at him. I mean there is nothing peaceful about sending 20,000+ troops to Afghanistan....so it is my opinion that there were more deserving people, at least for now.

hotreds
10-09-2009, 03:29 PM
http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/LOL/roflmao.jpg

Starscream
10-09-2009, 03:32 PM

I can see that viewpoint, but I'm keeping my real thoughts out of this one.

timo
10-09-2009, 03:33 PM
I don't know that Obama was checking anything out over there (I've ummm ermmm investigated this video many times) and it seems he was just letting the young lady pass and was looking past her. Sarkozy, on the other hand, kind of reminds me the cartoon wolf with bulging eyes and spinning bow tie :D
You study to much:D

tsolomon
10-09-2009, 03:35 PM
The award was given to a person who just happens to be the President; it doesn't depend on how long he was President, but the criteria for awarding the prize should be looked at as part of the discussion. As for me, I'm going to go home, have a beer and smoke a cigar which will bring me peace. TGIF :ss

yachties23
10-09-2009, 03:40 PM
Apparently Kayne West had made a statement that Even though Obama is ok, Beyonce has done much more for peace.

Tio Gato
10-09-2009, 04:03 PM
I just won the Stanley Cup!!!

I slipped on the ice last year.:D

The Poet
10-09-2009, 04:11 PM
As a rational anarchist, I hold only one political opinion - they all suck. With this in mind, I don't care who wins or loses whatever. Yet though I hold no enmity against Obama, I do not see what he has - to date anyway - accomplished to deserve a Nobel Peace Prize. If his own comments are any true indication, neither does he.

Cigarbud
10-09-2009, 04:11 PM
I think the comittee shot themselves in the foot back in the 90's when they made gave it to Yassir Arafat, a known terrorist; who told his people to commit acts of terror in when not in the spotlight, then talk about reconciliation when on the international stage.

Blueface
10-09-2009, 04:19 PM
Thought I would post this in case anyone is interested in the complete list of winners of the Nobel Peace Prize to date.

2009 - Barack Obama
2008 - Martti Ahtisaari
2007 - Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Al Gore
2006 - Muhammad Yunus, Grameen Bank
2005 - International Atomic Energy Agency, Mohamed ElBaradei
2004 - Wangari Maathai
2003 - Shirin Ebadi
2002 - Jimmy Carter
2001 - United Nations, Kofi Annan
2000 - Kim Dae-jung
1999 - Médecins Sans Frontičres
1998 - John Hume, David Trimble
1997 - International Campaign to Ban Landmines, Jody Williams
1996 - Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo, José Ramos-Horta
1995 - Joseph Rotblat, Pugwash Conferences on Science and World Affairs
1994 - Yasser Arafat, Shimon Peres, Yitzhak Rabin
1993 - Nelson Mandela, F.W. de Klerk
1992 - Rigoberta Menchú Tum
1991 - Aung San Suu Kyi
1990 - Mikhail Gorbachev
1989 - The 14th Dalai Lama
1988 - United Nations Peacekeeping Forces
1987 - Oscar Arias Sánchez
1986 - Elie Wiesel
1985 - International Physicians for the Prevention of Nuclear War
1984 - Desmond Tutu
1983 - Lech Walesa
1982 - Alva Myrdal, Alfonso García Robles
1981 - Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
1980 - Adolfo Pérez Esquivel
1979 - Mother Teresa
1978 - Anwar al-Sadat, Menachem Begin
1977 - Amnesty International
1976 - Betty Williams, Mairead Corrigan
1975 - Andrei Sakharov
1974 - Seán MacBride, Eisaku Sato
1973 - Henry Kissinger, Le Duc Tho
1972 - The prize money for 1972 was allocated to the Main Fund
1971 - Willy Brandt
1970 - Norman Borlaug
1969 - International Labour Organization
1968 - René Cassin
1967 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1966 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1965 - United Nations Children's Fund
1964 - Martin Luther King Jr.
1963 - International Committee of the Red Cross, League of Red Cross Societies
1962 - Linus Pauling
1961 - Dag Hammarskjöld
1960 - Albert Lutuli
1959 - Philip Noel-Baker
1958 - Georges Pire
1957 - Lester Bowles Pearson
1956 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1955 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1954 - Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees
1953 - George C. Marshall
1952 - Albert Schweitzer
1951 - Léon Jouhaux
1950 - Ralph Bunche
1949 - Lord Boyd Orr
1948 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1947 - Friends Service Council, American Friends Service Committee
1946 - Emily Greene Balch, John R. Mott
1945 - Cordell Hull
1944 - International Committee of the Red Cross
1943 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1942 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1941 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1940 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1939 - The prize money was with 1/3 allocated to the Main Fund and with 2/3 to the Special Fund of this prize section
1938 - Nansen International Office for Refugees
1937 - Robert Cecil
1936 - Carlos Saavedra Lamas
1935 - Carl von Ossietzky
1934 - Arthur Henderson
1933 - Sir Norman Angell
1932 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1931 - Jane Addams, Nicholas Murray Butler
1930 - Nathan Söderblom
1929 - Frank B. Kellogg
1928 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1927 - Ferdinand Buisson, Ludwig Quidde
1926 - Aristide Briand, Gustav Stresemann
1925 - Sir Austen Chamberlain, Charles G. Dawes
1924 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1923 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1922 - Fridtjof Nansen
1921 - Hjalmar Branting, Christian Lange
1920 - Léon Bourgeois
1919 - Woodrow Wilson
1918 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1917 - International Committee of the Red Cross
1916 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1915 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1914 - The prize money was allocated to the Special Fund of this prize section
1913 - Henri La Fontaine
1912 - Elihu Root
1911 - Tobias Asser, Alfred Fried
1910 - Permanent International Peace Bureau
1909 - Auguste Beernaert, Paul Henri d'Estournelles de Constant
1908 - Klas Pontus Arnoldson, Fredrik Bajer
1907 - Ernesto Teodoro Moneta, Louis Renault
1906 - Theodore Roosevelt
1905 - Bertha von Suttner
1904 - Institute of International Law
1903 - Randal Cremer
1902 - Élie Ducommun, Albert Gobat
1901 - Henry Dunant, Frédéric Passy

Blueface
10-09-2009, 04:21 PM
Official statement from website for reason for award:

"for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples"

Link to aforementioned statement:
http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/peace/laureates/2009/index.html

Whether you are from one side or not, remember, this nomination came less than 2 weeks from taking over the office of President of the United States.
Whether you are from one side or not, one must ask, what happened in those 12 days to affect the above captioned statement for the prize.
That aspect requires no political bickering. Just honest, candid inquiry.
There may be a very logical answer some of us are just missing.

dogface_313
10-09-2009, 04:28 PM

Can you blame him!!! Daaaamn

pmwz
10-09-2009, 05:14 PM
you are not getting in the hall of fame for playing a great preseason.

BigFrank
10-09-2009, 05:49 PM
how about trade the medal in for fix our economy button.

TheTraveler
10-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Meh. He gets a medal for thinking about trying to endeavor to promote peace. Pbbttt. I was on the backup team for the team that rescued Scott O'Grady and I didn't get a medal for being in the area and thinking about trying to possibly rescue him. Geez.

It used to be: 1. Do something. 2. Get a medal for doing that something.

What's wrong with that formula? Too old fashioned?

:c

mithrilG60
10-09-2009, 08:03 PM
In this case, I think time in office is worth noting, based on the reasons that they gave for given him the award. Although I would agree time in political office does not matter, in general.

And regardless of time in office, the point you raised about doing nothing to deserve it (at least yet) is an even better reason it is not his time to win.

And that's the real key to it. My point was simply that everyone seems to be referring to the amount of time he spent as President prior to the nomination as if being a head of state or not is somehow a primary consideration. Obviously it's not however as a complete outsider I really don't know much of Obama's history prior to his arrival on the world stage in the presidential campaign. It's entirely possible that he has done things in the time leading up to his current position that would warrant this award. That's why I mentioned that the length of time in his position as US President is irrelevant to the discussion.

That said, I agree with you that this is a very premature honour. I certainly hope that he does enough good over the course of his tenure as President and in his life post-Presidency to deserve the Nobel Prize. He's already off to a very good start just in the way he's attempting to restore the US' battered international reputation and diplomatic efforts (again, just stating the general world perception and not commenting on how deserved or not that perception actually is). Let's just hope he continues on this path and earns this award that's been bestowed.

hotreds
10-09-2009, 08:54 PM
http://doosmdayclockradio.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/lol-lmao.jpg

Bigwaved
10-09-2009, 09:08 PM
The funny thing is that it took about one minute to bring to the world into a more peaceful existence. That moment was when the war mongers were relegated to be the opposition party. The message was clear during the run up to the election that the two candidates were on opposite sides of how to handle diplomacy. That is not a political opinion. Rather, the words out of their mouths. It strikes me as funny that some of the previous posters are applauding the lack politics in this thread. Veiled references must not count.

jjirons69
10-09-2009, 09:22 PM
Didn't Al Gore invent the Nobel Peace prize???

Cigary
10-09-2009, 09:23 PM
This went pretty well, dont ya think Dave? This was like a fuse that could have been lit at any time and everyone was on a higher plane even though you could see some leanings. Don't even begin to tell me we have risen to the challenge of politics? What's next, religion? lol

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-09-2009, 09:24 PM
Please, someone explain to me why he deserves this award? What has happened, has everyone been bent over by this guy?
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41-nQJqZ1UL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

:td:td:td:td

BC-Axeman
10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I love this thread so far and I will refrain from tipping it over the edge.

That list above tells a story.

King James
10-09-2009, 09:30 PM
I really don't know much of Obama's history prior to his arrival on the world stage in the presidential campaign. It's entirely possible that he has done things in the time leading up to his current position that would warrant this award.

Nope, not really. Was a state senator in Illinois. Then he was a US Senator for about 100 days or so before he decided he was ready to be president, and started campaigning after that.

ChicagoWhiteSox
10-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Nope, not really. Was a state senator in Illinois. Then he was a US Senator for about 100 days or so before he decided he was ready to be president, and started campaigning after that.

I wonder how many bills he actually contributed to and voted on while he was there for 100 days:r Such great qualifications for the Nobel Peace Prize, let alone president:D

pnoon
10-09-2009, 09:43 PM
We've been teetering on the edge here for some time. In order to prevent the eventual turn from a discussion about the Nobel prize to a discussion about the president and politics, I'm closing this down.

You all can thank me now or thank me later. It doesn't matter to me.