PDA

View Full Version : RP Renaissance

DPD6030
10-01-2009, 01:06 AM
So yesterday I smoked a Rocky Patel Renaissance. Thanks for Jaime for gifting me this cigar.

I took it out of the cello and it was pretty smooth and had slight veins that you really had to feel the cigar to feel them. It was very well constructed. Not hard but not spongy either. Just perfect. I cut the cap with my new camo Palio (thanks Mac) and lit this baby up.

I got plenty of smoke out of this cigar for the entire time smoked. It opened with flavors of raisins and that slowly diminished about an inch into the smoke. Then the cocoa started and began to build. Great cocoa flavors and eventually the raisin came back. I smoked this stick down to about 1 1/2-2" as my steak was done and it was time to eat inside (I don't smoke inside the house).

I smoked this stick while grilling a steak for dinner. I was also drinking some coffee with it. It paired rather great with the coffee. I would say it took me 1 1/2 hours to smoke the cigar (I did light it up way before the steak was cooking).

Thanks Jaime for gifting me one of these fine smokes by RP. Glad I traded you for a 5'er of them. :ss

I'll post photos from my phone tomorrow. :tu

Smokin Gator
10-01-2009, 03:33 AM
The first one I had was a couple of months ago when Jaime and Kate were here with the CCHC. Since then I have burned through nearly two boxes. I really like this stick!!!

OHRD
10-01-2009, 06:18 AM
I am a big RP fan, especially of the Vintage line; it sounds like this smoke is right in line with it. How would you describe the body? Medium, Full? Thanks for the review!

DougBushBC
10-01-2009, 06:22 AM
They are really good cigars, I don't love everything he makes, but some of RPs smokes are damned impressive for the market size he has reached. I like these, as well as Sungrowns and Decades.

G G
10-01-2009, 06:43 AM
Nice review, for real.

Smokin Gator
10-01-2009, 07:05 AM
I am a big RP fan, especially of the Vintage line; it sounds like this smoke is right in line with it. How would you describe the body? Medium, Full? Thanks for the review!

I would say a solid medium leaning toward full. BTW... I like the robusto the best and I am typically not a robusto smoker.

joetownhound
10-01-2009, 07:32 AM
great review

Giant & 49er Fan
10-01-2009, 08:02 AM
Glad you enjoyed and great review Andrew. We can do it again anytime!

DoctorBJ
10-01-2009, 08:14 AM
I'm fairly certain Jamie talked me into my first one too. Hell of a smoke. I believe I walked out with a dozen smokes from The Blue, unusual for me with a smoke I don't know too well.

Scothew
10-01-2009, 08:43 AM
I smoked a renaissance that had been decently aged and the various flavor changes and all made me fall in love with them. Probably the first or second smoke I really truely enjoyed and was able to tell when things changed in it. Definitely in my top 5 "i'm still a noob" list.

I did smoke a renaissance that was fresh from the factory shipped straight to store and it wasnt as good,

pgagnon
10-01-2009, 08:47 AM
so i take it i should let them ret if i happen to get some?

Scothew
10-01-2009, 08:58 AM
Thats just how I felt about the one I got a RP event at one of our local shops. They were doing a summer 09 event and Xcytez got a free Renn so I smoked it and you could just tell it hadnt had much rest at all, it along with all the summer 09's were prob as fresh as you can get.

kenstogie
10-01-2009, 09:21 AM
I really like some of the RP Stuff, (ITSF, RP Vintage, OWR) but he just keeps cranking out new blends and I cant keep up.

kelmac07
10-01-2009, 10:12 AM
Nice review Andrew...might have to torch one of these soon.

DPD6030
10-01-2009, 11:09 AM
I agree with gator as it is medium to full bodied.

Mac, do you have one of these sticks? :D

Smokin Gator
10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
so i take it i should let them ret if i happen to get some?

Hmmm....

njstone
10-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the review! In fact, you've just made up my mind as to what to smoke this afternoon :)

Powers
10-01-2009, 12:07 PM
The first one I had was a couple of months ago when Jaime and Kate were here with the CCHC.

me too!!

i liked the stick as well. along w/the sungrowns and vintage 90s, they are my fav RP smokes :banger

njstone
10-01-2009, 03:00 PM
Just finished my first Renaissance ... really good cigar! I was impressed.

TheRiddick
10-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Was told by a RP rep (as well as some posts in prior threads) that this is an Edge Sumatra blend relabeled, any way for someone to confirm it either way?

Ranger_B
10-02-2009, 09:43 PM
I had been told the same thing from the rep here. Smoked them side by side and either my taste is off or something is different.