PDA

View Full Version : Sinatra by Felipe Gregorio (Churchills)

Pilon
09-30-2009, 11:16 AM
I just recieved a box of these cellophaned from a guy I work with. He handed me the carboard box shipped to him from Thompson that was still sealed with the label yellowed. There is a receipt inside dated September 2004. Made in the Dominican Republic.

Has anyone ever tried these? I need to put them in a humidor for a while to rehumidify them a bit. The box had only been in cellophane for 5 years with the corners busted open. I opened one cigar and it seems to be okay, no cracking and smells great.

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg418/traviskringle/IMG00179.jpg

http://i542.photobucket.com/albums/gg418/traviskringle/IMG00180.jpg

roughrider
09-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Smoke one and report back.

Pilon
09-30-2009, 06:42 PM
Gave in and tried one. Almost fell apart when i cut it, definitely needs to go in a humi for a few weeks. really sweet tobacco pre draw. mild stick with not so bad flavor. reminds me of a baccarat but better. Wil have to try it again once its good and ready.

Parrotheadduff
10-05-2009, 04:33 PM
These are out of production and have been for a couple years. I smoked them regularly and enjoyed them.

Pilon
10-05-2009, 04:53 PM
These are out of production and have been for a couple years. I smoked them regularly and enjoyed them.

I can send some your way when theyre good and ready :tu

VirtualSmitty
10-05-2009, 04:53 PM

They are still being made actually. FG had to change the name because of issues with the Sinatra estate. First they were just called Filipe Gregorio My Way, now they are known as Frank's Way. Same blend as far as I could tell.

Linky (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-F0B&cat=3)

Pilon
10-05-2009, 05:02 PM
$2 a stick fo those, geez, I thought my friend was hooking me up. haha it's still a good smoke and does have 5 years on it.

T.G
10-05-2009, 07:06 PM
They are still being made actually. FG had to change the name because of issues with the Sinatra estate. First they were just called Filipe Gregorio My Way, now they are known as Frank's Way. Same blend as far as I could tell.

Linky (http://www.cigarsinternational.com/prodDisp.asp?item=CS-F0B&cat=3)

I thought Philip Wynne changed the blend slightly due to issues with the Sinatra estate - now, if any of us are capable of tasting the change is another issue entirely.

Anyway, never tried the re-named versions, still have a few Sinatras floating around somewhere. Very mild, creamy cigar.

VirtualSmitty
10-05-2009, 07:13 PM
I thought Philip Wynne changed the blend slightly due to issues with the Sinatra estate - now, if any of us are capable of tasting the change is another issue entirely.

Anyway, never tried the re-named versions, still have a few Sinatras floating around somewhere. Very mild, creamy cigar.

You might be right, it happened a long time. I thought it was just a name change, I can't see how the estate could take issue with the actual blend. I tried both many years ago, both were very mild. If there was a change it wasn't drastic.

T.G
10-05-2009, 08:13 PM
You might be right, it happened a long time. I thought it was just a name change, I can't see how the estate could take issue with the actual blend. I tried both many years ago, both were very mild. If there was a change it wasn't drastic.

I seem to recall that Frank Sinatra went to Philip Wynne and asked him to make a cigar with his name on it, and he (Frank) insisted it be made in the Dominican, and since Philip Wynne didn't have any factories in the DR, Frank wrote him a massive check to put up a factory.

I'm thinking that Sinatra somewhow owned the original blend, or at least there was enough legal doubt there that it would have been a big expensive battle, so for someone like Philip Wynne, simply make a minor tweak to the blend, now it's not the same, but tastes the same for all intents and purposes, and, boom, legal battle avoided.

Kind of like perfume, you can copyright the formula, but not the fragrance.

Parrotheadduff
10-08-2009, 08:46 PM
CI has Franks Way Belicoso (6.2x52) box of 25 for $49.99 if anyone is interested.