PDA

View Full Version : Disease of the Month Club

shilala
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
I saw a new neurosurgeon yesterday.
She actually looked at all my mri's and reports and all that good stuff. Did two hours worth of tests, tortured me really well, and diagnosed me with Dopamine Responsive Dystonia. It's kind of like Parkinson's, but it's not. It responds very well to drugs.
After coming home and researching it, It answers pretty much all the problems I've had for the last five or six years, leading up to when I broke my back.
She started me on some cinnabun dope (The generic is Levodopa, I can't remember what it's really called) and I can't barely find my ass with both hands. It'll take a few days to a week for it to mellow out, but it already seems to be helping. This morning I could feel hot and cold with my left fingers, and my hands uncurled and my arms feel like noodles.

Anyways...
The reason I mention it is that I have a bunch of pm's backed up and I pretty much can't type, think, or know which way is up.
I'll get all caught up with everyone in few days, hopefully.
I'm going to put the laptop away and look at the ceiling for as long as it takes.
Lisa is here taking care of me, and although I'm pretty screwed up, I feel a million times better than I have, and things are looking up. :tu
If you guys would look out for me and let guys know I'm laid up when they mention I haven't gotten back to them, I'd really appreciate it.
If this new round of bullshit works out, I'll be able to get back to doing some things I enjoy doing, and be able to get back to being a general nuisance around here. :)
Thanks!!!
Scott

kenstogie
09-29-2009, 04:17 PM
Get Well Scott. Glad things seem to be working.

Scottw
09-29-2009, 04:18 PM
If you need more dopamine released into your system, start using coke. Joking aside, I hope all works out Scott.

kelmac07
09-29-2009, 04:19 PM
Keep your head up brother!!

The Poet
09-29-2009, 04:22 PM
Hang in there, Scott, and feel better.

Oh wait - seems you're feeling all too well already. Be sure to save some for the rest of us! :D

yourchoice
09-29-2009, 04:24 PM
Hopefully they found the root of the problem. Get and be well Scott. :tu

G G
09-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Prayers for it working for ya brother.

chippewastud79
09-29-2009, 04:27 PM
Best of luck with your health moving forward, prayers sent for brighter days ahead. :tu

GreekGodX
09-29-2009, 04:29 PM
Hope this means you can live a more comfortable life :tu Good luck Scott and my prayers are with you.

bazookajoe
09-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Glad they figured out what it is Scott - sorry it turned out to actually be something, though it sounds like it's better dealing with something known. We'll look forward to you getting back to normal, though we might not recognize you. :D

tenbaseg
09-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Thoughts and prayers with you brother on a quick bounce back.

I can't say that I've been where you are right now, but I can relate on some level. Hang in there.

MedicCook
09-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Hope the treatment works Scott. I will keep you in my thoughts.

jonharky
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
get well soon!!

rrplasencia
09-29-2009, 04:46 PM
prayers sent for ya, get better

Resipsa
09-29-2009, 04:47 PM
hope you're up and about soon:banger

TheTraveler
09-29-2009, 04:52 PM
Hope you feel better soon Scott. Prayers sent.

14holestogie
A correct diagnosis is the first, best step in getting back to "normal."
Here's hoping this one is the one that does the trick, Scott.

Prayers for you, brother.

Blueface
Good Luck!!!
Finding the cause is half the battle.
At least they know what you have and can treat it.
Good wishes for you.

icehog3
09-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you may have the answers you need, Scott...I will send some good thoughts your way.

Old Sailor
09-29-2009, 05:52 PM
Good luck Scott :tu

Sailkat
09-29-2009, 05:56 PM
You're in our thoughts, Scott.

replicant_argent
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
I wish you better health and a recovery from your challenges, Scott.

Slavac
09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Glad it seems like good news!

cort
09-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Get better quick dude. I cant function without you around here.;)

bonjing
09-29-2009, 06:55 PM
Seems like good news. Hope this all turns out well ! ! !

Wanger
09-29-2009, 07:32 PM
Glad they finally figured it out Scott!

On a note here, Levodopa is simply the active ingredient. We make a product for one of our partners called Parcopa that has both Levodopa and Carbidopa in it. If that's what you're on now and it is an orally disintegrating tablet, we make it. :D

dogface_313
09-29-2009, 07:54 PM
Get well quickly Scott

shilala
09-30-2009, 09:10 AM
Glad they finally figured it out Scott!

On a note here, Levodopa is simply the active ingredient. We make a product for one of our partners called Parcopa that has both Levodopa and Carbidopa in it. If that's what you're on now and it is an orally disintegrating tablet, we make it. :D
That's what it is. CARB/LEVO ER TAB 25/100. Generic for Sinemet.
I imagine Parcopa is the equivalent of Sinemet, just from a different partner.
It's definately doing something. I blink now. It's driving me nuts.
The "facial masking" is what the doc noticed immediately. She said I don't blink my eyes. I never noticed. It explains why I have twenty bottles of artifical tears laying around though.
It's really strange the stuff I hadn't noticed.
Stranger yet is all the things I've started to remember that have bothered me for years that I've never gotten any answers to.
About five years ago I started complaining to my doctor that I felt like I was living in a jar of molasses and it was exhausting. I just ignored it and started napping.
Moving from the drugs I was taking for my back and all the spasm and pain combined with this new stuff is making me incredibly sick and confused, but I feel better now at 11:00 in the morning than I usually do by this time.
I have always tried to get up early and get all my work done by 2:00 in the afternoon, because after that I'm worthless unless I eat a pound of drugs.
In the last couple weeks I've cut my pain meds in half already, and have basically relied on valium to control the spasms and energy drinks to keep me from falling asleep in my soup.
Today I'm going to cut the valium in half, go to 1/4 my daily dose of narcotic goodness, and see what happens.
The new dope is a five day systemic, twice a day, then I go to three times a day.
By the time it's in my system, all the other stuff should be out.
That's my goal, anyways. :)
If this stuff works, and it seems to be already, then I'll just have to see where I'm at and go from there.
At this point, I'm so weirded out, sick and goofed that I'm not sure if my ass is punched or bored. :)

coastietech
09-30-2009, 09:25 AM
Just saw this thread... I hope all is well. I wish you the best. :tu

TBone
09-30-2009, 09:43 AM
I feel your pain Scott...I see my neurosurgeon ont he 6th...hopefully he'll figure me out...take care and get well soon

Blindjimme
09-30-2009, 09:45 AM
Positive thoughts and prayers sent to you my friend. You'll be up and running soon. The Lord ain't done with you yet ;)

aich75013
09-30-2009, 09:49 AM
Sounds like this doc may actually have a clue.
Prayers sent that this treatment works for you.

Steve
09-30-2009, 09:52 AM
Hope ya fell better real soon. Prayers sent!

rrplasencia
09-30-2009, 10:03 AM
seriously Scott, if you want to see the best neuro guy in FL, just lmk. you can walk right in the back door of my fathers office any day you want.

LeoM
09-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Sounds like this might be a very good thing Scott. Take care and best wishes/prayer brother!!

SmokeyJoe
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
God bless you, Scott! Praying this new direction will work wonders for you. :tu

GKitty
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Glad to hear you're improving, Scott. Thoughts and positive energy sent to keep you moving in the right direction.

I look forward to more hijinks and chicanery. :)

bvilchez
09-30-2009, 10:56 AM
We got you're back Scott....you just work on getting better

macpappy
09-30-2009, 10:58 AM
Good luck on the new meds.
Just curious, have you've noticed any different in how the cigars taste?

shilala
09-30-2009, 11:18 AM
seriously Scott, if you want to see the best neuro guy in FL, just lmk. you can walk right in the back door of my fathers office any day you want.

I know it. I love ya, brother. :tu
Thank You to everybody. I'm gonna go lay down. :)It's cool that this stuff is working, but in my zeal, I've kind of forgotten about my back. It really doesn't seem to care about all this other stuff, and it's decided it's time for a break, even though I haven't done anything. lol

DPD6030
09-30-2009, 12:59 PM
Karma, thoughts and prayers sent Scott. :tu

DonniePaul
09-30-2009, 02:19 PM
Good Luck Scott. I'm glad to hear they have an idea of whats up and a way to treat it.

My thoughts and prayers are with you man!

e-man67
09-30-2009, 02:26 PM
Good luck and God bless Scott! :)

shilala
09-30-2009, 02:40 PM
Good luck and God bless Scott! :)
Thanks, brother. Love the av. Awesome movie. :tu

Cenookie
09-30-2009, 09:38 PM
Thoughts and prayers sent your way Scott, hope you're up and about soon!!!!!

DBall
10-01-2009, 06:17 AM
Good luck, brother!

shilala
10-01-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm only three days into the new meds.
I can feel hot and cold with both hands. First time in two years.
All my muscles have relaxed and it feels like I was in a Battle Royale with Andre the Giant. I suppose it'll take awhile for that stuff to heal.
With no pain meds or valium in my system, it's the first time I've got a good look at my back. Boy is it junk. I'm definately going to have to steal a new one.
I'm pretty sure I ate a baby alligator last night, too, cause it's trying to chew it's way out.
There's about a thousand other things that aren't happening that I've grown used to.
I can stand up like a human now, too. I don't have to call for help or hang on to anything.
This is all going to take some getting used to, for sure. :)
Thanks to all of you for all your kind thoughts and prayers.
Now I'm going to ice down my back and set the world on fire. :tu