PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on great beers

Poronico
09-29-2009, 02:04 PM
I am new to the game of enjoying great beer, I am a huge fan of Dark beers and the abbey ales. Personally I have yet to find a smoked porter I didnt enjoy, also love a good stout. The last brew I enjoyed was a Treppist Abbey Ale and it was amazing! So I want your insight on what my next purchase should be or what you think I shouldn't miss out on down my adventurous road. :D

icehog3
09-29-2009, 02:09 PM
Being in the Northwest I assume you've tried Anchor Steam Porter, Jesse?

Jbailey
09-29-2009, 02:11 PM
I would try a bunch of different Porters and Imperials. Not to familiar with beers in your area but I will keep my eyes out.

Red
09-29-2009, 02:12 PM
have you tried any IPA's yet ?

Riff Raff
09-29-2009, 02:14 PM
I am thinking in the sense of Octoberfest beers! After all, offically, it has started! There are some great ones out there.

icehog3
09-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Another one I have enjoyed this summer is Black Boss Porter, out of Poland...unfortunately, I can't find any around here any more.

dubnick
09-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Left Hand Black Jack Porter

D_A
09-29-2009, 02:37 PM
When I was living in WA, I used to drink lots of Black Butte Porter from Deschutes Brewery (http://www.deschutesbrewery.com/) in Bend, Or. Rogue's (http://www.rogue.com/) Shakespeare Stout and Mocha Porter are pretty good too. They are also out of Oregon. New Belgium Brewery (http://www.newbelgium.com/home) in Colorado makes a good abbey ale as I recall and is available in your area. If you're in Seattle, the brewery at Pikes Place (http://www.pikebrewing.com/) has some good dark beers too.

Poronico
09-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Being in the Northwest I assume you've tried Anchor Steam Porter, Jesse?

Not yet, But I have had the Kona Porter and the Black Butte and both were phenomenal!

Poronico
09-29-2009, 03:45 PM
have you tried any IPA's yet ?

I have tried a few IPA's the latest one being at VitaleMobs BBQ herf, it was pretty good.

Red
09-29-2009, 03:47 PM
I have tried a few IPA's the latest one being at VitaleMobs BBQ herf, it was pretty good.

nice! look for sierra nevada Torpedo , its a new one..and its one of the best beer of the year imo. A pretty widley available

Darrell
09-29-2009, 03:49 PM
Dead Guy by Rogue
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Imperial IPA
Double Dead Guy Ale by Rogue

:2

Skywalker
09-29-2009, 04:14 PM
Another one I have enjoyed this summer is Black Boss Porter, out of Poland...unfortunately, I can't find any around here any more.

I have a source in Chico!!!

Man! That stuff rocks

kenstogie
09-29-2009, 04:23 PM
First, start brewing your own. It's sooooo much better than most beers. Try a hoppy beer (Pale ales) and a Non Hoppy (hefewiezen) start from there and brew brew brew. sadly you'll realize how poorly cared for much bottle beer is but rejoice because you'll have a new appreciation for beer!
Also try Shakespeare Stout, that's some great stuff.

Poronico
09-29-2009, 05:07 PM
Dead Guy by Rogue
Young's Double Chocolate Stout
Stone Smoked Porter
Stone Imperial IPA
Double Dead Guy Ale by Rogue

:2

I have had all of those except the IPA and loves all of them. The DC porter was awesome with a DPG Blue Lancero

Poronico
09-29-2009, 05:09 PM
First, start brewing your own. It's sooooo much better than most beers. Try a hoppy beer (Pale ales) and a Non Hoppy (hefewiezen) start from there and brew brew brew. sadly you'll realize how poorly cared for much bottle beer is but rejoice because you'll have a new appreciation for beer!
Also try Shakespeare Stout, that's some great stuff.

Brewing would be a great thing for me because I am a science and chemistry nut, BUT with the limited amount of space I have to work with in my apartment Its not really an option at the moment.

yourchoice
09-29-2009, 05:11 PM
I love beer!

What I believe to be readily available (at least they are to me :)). Generally in the order of my preference, but I reach for all of these.

IPAs (my favorite when the weather is warm) Stone IPA (great balance)
Dogfish Head 60 and 90 minute (90 is better IMO, albeit more expensive)
Victory HopDevil (hoppy!)
Smutteynose IPA

Porters Stone Smoked Porter (nice and smokey :tu)
Troegs Dead Reckoning Porter

Ales Flying Dog Double Dog Pale Ale (sneaky strong)
Unibroue Maudite (my favorite from Unibroue, especially for the price)
Weyerbacher Imperial Pumpkin Ale (pumkin taste is different = not for everyone)

Stouts (I need to expand my Stout horizons) Left Hand Milk Stout
Samuel Adams Cream Stout

Oktoberfest (I like to stay in Germany for Oktoberfests YMMV) Warsteiner Oktoberfest (awesome)
Hacker Pschorr Oktoberfest

Great...now I'm thirsty! :r

icehog3
09-29-2009, 05:52 PM
I have a source in Chico!!!

Man! That stuff rocks

What's the name of the place, Darrell...if you don't mind revealing a source, that is! :)

kenstogie
09-29-2009, 06:36 PM
Brewing would be a great thing for me because I am a science and chemistry nut, BUT with the limited amount of space I have to work with in my apartment Its not really an option at the moment.

I brew the beer I drink, its hard going back to the regular stuff. My "required gear' consists of 2-6 gallon buckets, like "spackle" or "drywall mud" buckets and everything but the pot and the bottles fits inside.

BeerAdvocate
09-30-2009, 06:11 AM
Dive into the world of Belgians and start at the top with St Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 10 and Chimay!

Red
09-30-2009, 07:49 AM
Dive into the world of Belgians and start at the top with St Bernardus Abt 12, Rochefort 10 and Chimay!

shut it!! dont lead him the wrong way

elderboy02
09-30-2009, 07:52 AM
Blue Moon
Coors Light :tu

:Waiting for Red to say some smart-ass comment :r

Skywalker
09-30-2009, 08:56 AM
What's the name of the place, Darrell...if you don't mind revealing a source, that is! :)

PM sent!

Dave128
09-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Free beer is always great beer.

I enjoy dark beers. Ice cold Guiness fresh from the tap is one of my favorites.

Poronico
09-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks for the input fellas, I will be trying a few of these soon hopefully

icehog3
09-30-2009, 03:10 PM
PM sent!

:D Thank you!

CasaDooley
10-01-2009, 01:02 AM
Jesse, go on down to the Pike brewery at the market. They serve a 6 glass sampler of some of their beers. Great stuff. Read the discription of the XXX Stout.;)

Poronico
10-01-2009, 02:50 AM
I've had the XXX stout and the abbey ale, both were really quite amazing

pinotguy
10-01-2009, 07:35 AM
Start trying Barleywines as well. In terms of flavor, strength, and complexity, these are hard to beat. Some notables: Sierra Nevada Bigfoot (seasonal), Green Flash Barleywine, Dogfish Head Old School, Lagunitas Gnarleywine, and North Coast Old Stock Ale.

Bubba - NJ
10-12-2009, 08:39 PM

:tpd: