PDA

View Full Version : Are cuban cigars really the best?

rogerdodger
09-27-2009, 10:01 AM
newbie here
never tried one, not sure if id apreciate it anyway.
are they much better than the $15 and up cigars than we can currently purchase?

Skywalker
09-27-2009, 10:05 AM
No. Not really!!! Actually very Yucky!!!:r

Seriously, If you don't know what you're missing then enjoy what you have!:2

SilverFox
Age old question the answer is simple

Yes

However that is my answer, maybe not yours, maybe not someone elses. As it goes smoke what you like, like what you smoke. Life is too short for a bad cigar. After trying over 40 different types of non cubans I smoke exclusively cubans (well ok I will smoke the odd Opus here and there)

It is all about personal preference.

G G
You're gonna get a bunch of different answers my friend. In my opinion the one's I have had haven't lived up to the hype for me. Granted I have only smoked maybe 10 or 12, so maybe I haven't evolved yet, plus I tent to like very dark, strong maduros. So for me the answer is no. That answer would prolly be different if I had lots of money to buy some of the great one's.

GreekGodX
09-27-2009, 10:12 AM
It is all your own preference. Both sides will give you unique attributes to the cigar. I say CC's are better :D

kelmac07
09-27-2009, 10:14 AM
You're gonna get a bunch of different answers my friend. In my opinion the one's I have had haven't lived up to the hype for me. Granted I have only smoked maybe 10 or 12, so maybe I haven't evolved yet, plus I tent to like very dark, strong maduros. So for me the answer is no. That answer would prolly be different if I had lots of money to buy some of the great one's.

:tpd: I'm with Greg on this one. I have smoked about 20-25 CCs and haven't had that one that did it for me yet. Being a maduro whore...I love my sticks strong, dark and to slap me in the face!! :tu Personal preference is what it boils down to. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!!

shvictor
09-27-2009, 10:17 AM
I kinda like NC's better

Cord
09-27-2009, 10:20 AM
I love my sticks strong, dark and to slap me in the face!!

WOW... Freak :r:r

Footbag
09-27-2009, 10:22 AM
It depends on the smoker.

For me, yes, a $6 Cuban Partagas will outperform many $15 premium cigars!

Starscream
09-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Some CCs are very great, others not so much.
Some NCs are very great, others not so much.

Get in there and try some out. The more you smoke, the more you'll know what you'll like. I have smoked some CCs that were superior in flavor to any NC cigar. I have smoked some CCs that I have put out after the first inch. Taste is subjective. In my mind it's hard to beat an NC Padron or Illusione.

captain53
09-27-2009, 10:27 AM
:tpd: I'm with Greg on this one. I have smoked about 20-25 CCs and haven't had that one that did it for me yet. Being a maduro whore...I love my sticks strong, dark and to slap me in the face!! :tu Personal preference is what it boils down to. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke!!

:tpd: I also have tried 20-25 or so, maybe a few more while in the Islands, and I don't think they are any better and actually often not as good as many of the high quality Dominicans or even some other source countries. I think there was a time many years ago that they probably were tops but not any more. :2

Personal taste/preference drives the answer!

VirtualSmitty
09-27-2009, 10:34 AM

Yes they are.

NCRadioMan
09-27-2009, 10:36 AM
Yes they are.
:tpd: I think they are for the most part but I can't go without my Pepins and most of those are well under $15. Plus, on the whole, Cuban cigars are much, much cheaper than nc premiums. For me, sometimes it just comes down to economics when I am choosing a box.

Tarks
09-27-2009, 10:37 AM
newbie here

Absolutely! Always have been, always will. Plain and simple.

dunng
09-27-2009, 10:43 AM
Depends what you like... for me it's mostly Pepin or Cuban... :tu

qwerty1500
09-27-2009, 10:46 AM
I know that this question is kicked around every so often. But, it is an interesting question for me right now.

Smoked CC almost exclusively for the past 2 years ... exploring what the diifferent marcas had to offer. Decided to revisit some of my old favorite NCs this past summer. I enjoyed the return and found that I still enjoy many of the cigars I used to like. In fact, I even recently ordered the first NCs I've bought in a long time (a couple of 5ers of some Tats and Cabaiguan).

There are some good NCs .... they're just different than CCs. Are CCs better? IMHO I'd have to say that CCs are richer and smoother. And, I've never found a NC that has that hard to describe CC twang. I won't go so far as to say that this makes them better ... just different.

A year ago, I would have had to say that CCs are better, hands down, no question. Now, even though I still reach for a CC most of the time, I still like the NCs I'm smoking and they will have a place in humidor.

blugill
09-27-2009, 10:52 AM

I've had a fair share of CCs and to me there have been construction problems, uneven burn problems, and the taste isn't what I'd call worthy of the hype.

They are hit and miss. IMHO NCs have surpassed CCs in quality and taste.

Many brothers here only smoke CCs and love them, that's cool. That's where their taste is. I wanted to like them more but I just don't.

massphatness
09-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Smoke what you like no matter where it's from.
Posted via Mobile Device

Starscream
09-27-2009, 10:56 AM
I've had a fair share of CCs and to me there have been construction problems, uneven burn problems.

:tpd:

Resipsa
09-27-2009, 10:58 AM
This is an oustanding question. It is my personal belief, based on extensive research both here and abroad, that there is no such thing as a Cuban cigar, that it is a myth create and perpetrated by the cigar elite to further their own ends:2

Prefy
09-27-2009, 10:58 AM
Smoke what you like...like what you smoke!

Personally from what I have smoked on either side I would have to say that I prefer Cuban Leaf.

Don Fernando
09-27-2009, 11:01 AM
I can get Cubans legally here and they are easier to get then Non Cubans, still I smoke more Non Cubans as there is so much more to explore and there are some fabulous NC's out there, just as fabulous CC's. And there are also a lot of terrible NC's and some terrible CC's.

Starscream
09-27-2009, 11:02 AM
This is an oustanding question. It is my personal belief, based on extensive research both here and abroad, that there is no such thing as a Cuban cigar, that it is a myth create and perpetrated by the cigar elite to further their own ends:2

The cat's out of the bag now. You weren't supposed to tell on us, Vic.;)

akumushi
09-27-2009, 11:05 AM
I think the split is between whether you like medium bodied, spicy cigars in a small ring gauge, or thicker, more heavy bodied maduros. Lovers of the former tend to prefer CCs, lovers of the latter prefer NCs. Cuban tobacco has a richness and flavor that NCs have a hard time competing with but their construction and consistency pales in comparison to most average NCs. I personally have stopped buying NCs as the only ones I like (Padron, Tatuaje, Pepin, Illusione) are slightly more expensive than CCs. If CCs were legalized in the US and the prices jumped up to the way they are in Canada because of taxes, then I would probably find myself smoking more Tats and Illusione because they would then be cheaper. I would say that there are NCs and CCs to suit pretty much any taste and some (but not all) of the best smokes I've had are CCs, so they are definitely worth trying!

mariogolbee
09-27-2009, 11:06 AM
I'm half Cuban but live in CA and for a time I was seeking CC's kinda for the same reason I was into Native Tribal music and Aztec dancing etc. I tried a few varieties during the last couple of years and one a very long time ago. I've never gotten one for $6 a stick as some apparently have. The best sticks I have had came from another country for MORE than $15 a stick but have been my favorite cigar ever. They are the Cohiba Siglo 2 and I loved them. The problem I find with CC's is it's been a huge amount of trouble to get in my experience to get them and half of the authenticity has to come with a grain of salt. All in all though, the CC's I've had are all as good or better than most NC's that I've had.

Ashcan Bill
09-27-2009, 11:15 AM
newbie here

Better?

Are they better in terms of depth, flavor and taste? In my opinion, yes.

Are they better in terms of consistent and reliable construction? In my opinion, no.

Are they a better dollar-for-dollar value? I'd say emphatically yes.

icehog3
09-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Smoke what you like...like what you smoke!

I prefer Cuban Leaf.

Funny how you think of what you are going to say after reading the original post....then scroll down, and someone says pretty much exactly what you were going to say.

Matt said it for me. ;)

GTCanuk
09-27-2009, 11:41 AM
yes

troutbreath
09-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Great comments on this thread. "Better" is completely dependent upon what YOU want in a cigar.

There are very good NC's out there, and I enjoy them. The few CC's I have had have been enjoyable. Different. Also very good.

leasingthisspace
09-27-2009, 12:28 PM
I like cake and pie.
Posted via Mobile Device

Texan in Mexico
09-27-2009, 12:35 PM
I like cake and pie.
Posted via Mobile Device

In this case cake = Padrons and pie = Juan Lopez!

htown
09-27-2009, 12:37 PM
Better?

Are they better in terms of consistent and reliable construction? In my opinion, no.

What he said! Now I think I'll go smoke a Bolivar PC.

Bax
09-27-2009, 12:39 PM
I'm about a 50/50 CC vs. NC smoker right now. For strength and spice the NC's have it hands down. As for depth and nuance it's CC's.
I prefer a medium strength cigar so the cubans are right up my alley. The price is another huge factor.

You choose, a box of Fuentes for 400 bucks or a box of Party shorts and a box of Montes #4's and a box Bolivar Gold Medals. For me, it's a no brainer.

Mugen910
09-27-2009, 12:48 PM
No..don't waste your time asking or even looking for Cubans...you stick to Non-Cubans..:tu

Red
09-27-2009, 12:49 PM
I kinda like NC's better

don pepin garcia...he uses non cuban tobac and makes em way tastier!

icehog3
09-27-2009, 12:50 PM
To each his own. ;)

Red
09-27-2009, 12:52 PM
To each his own. ;)

thats the only real answer actually....:banger

hotreds
09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
De gustibus non est disputandum.

icehog3
09-27-2009, 12:58 PM
thats the only real answer actually....:banger

It's what makes the World go 'round. :)

icehog3
09-27-2009, 12:59 PM
De gustibus non est disputandum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_gustibus_non_est_disputandum

Texan in Mexico
09-27-2009, 01:02 PM
LOL, you beat me to it!

Smokin Gator
09-27-2009, 01:02 PM

Better?

:tpd: Those two posts sum it up for me!!

Red
09-27-2009, 01:09 PM
to ask if cubans are better..i can say this...

the CC montes are better than the NC montes
the CC bolivars are better than the NC bolivars

and so on......

Dux
09-27-2009, 01:47 PM
For me CC's are better but I still like NC's

Prefy
09-27-2009, 01:50 PM
Funny how you think of what you are going to say after reading the original post....then scroll down, and someone says pretty much exactly what you were going to say.

Matt said it for me. ;)

Must of been all those pucks to the head:r

AD720
09-27-2009, 01:50 PM
That would have to be further qualified for me to make a decision. Too general of a question.

For example I'd take an Opus over a JLP but I'd take that same JLP over a Cremosa.

icehog3
09-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Must of been all those pucks to the head:r

Me...or you? :r :r

UPHOTO
09-27-2009, 02:05 PM
Who cares where they are from?

Smoke what you like.

My favorite cigars are Monte #4's, Opus and Padron 26.

Love the options. :)

T.G
09-27-2009, 02:22 PM
Are CC's better?

"Better" is really a personal judgement, to some they are, to others they aren't.

One thing that they most definitely are is unique.
Just as Nicaraguan puros, Honduran puros, Dominican puros (etc) are all unique.
Each one of these countries produces tobacco with unique flavors and characteristics - you won't find Cuban twang in a Nicaraguan puro, no more than you will find Nicaraguan pepper & sheer power or Honduran spice in a Cuban cigar.

All you can do is keep trying cigars until you find the ones that you like - at that point, you have found what is "better". It might be a $2 cigar or $10 cigar. It's all about what you like, not what someone else likes, since you are the one smoking it.

Noodles
09-27-2009, 03:07 PM
newbie here

Taste is very subjective. It's like asking if French Red wines are much better than California cabs. Only you can answer our own question.

:tu

jerseystepup
09-27-2009, 03:38 PM
When i first started smoking... it didnt make a difference to me at all.. in fact if i smoked 2 unbanded cigars.. i wouldnt be able to tell which was NC and which was the CC... now that my palate is more refined, and i know what i like, I can say that i have a taste for cubans..

my father in law however.. who has been smoking twice as long as me, and got me into cigars, isnt a fan of CC's.. and when i offer him one would rather smoke his own...

pnoon
09-27-2009, 03:44 PM
to ask if cubans are better..i can say this...

the CC montes are better than the NC montes
the CC bolivars are better than the NC bolivars

and so on......

That comaprison means nothing. There is absolutely no connection between the two.

jerseystepup
09-27-2009, 03:46 PM
That comaprison means nothing. There is absolutely no connection between the two.

Truth to this... other than the name (marketing scheme by major cigar manufacturers) These cigars share absolutly no likenesses (is likenesses a word?)

King James
09-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I wonder about where said Cubans came from for a certain number of responses from this thread. Perhaps a friends brothers cousin who was a janitor at the Partagas factory? Or a street vendor in Mexico?

jerseystepup
09-27-2009, 03:48 PM
i wonder about where said cubans came from for a certain number of responses from this thread. Perhaps a friends brothers cousin who was a janitor at the partagas factory? Or a street vendor in mexico?

shhh!!!!! :D

JJG
09-27-2009, 03:52 PM
Even the people that say it's like comparing apples to oranges still concede that Cubans are the best. so what does that tell you?

T.G
09-27-2009, 04:03 PM
Even the people that say it's like comparing apples to oranges still concede that Cubans are the best. so what does that tell you?

I'll take "What is, they prefer Cubans?" for $100 Alex.

jerseystepup
09-27-2009, 04:14 PM
I sat here watching tv thinking about this thread even more.. and IDK why threads like this bother me.. they definatly shouldnt.. but if you think about it.. tobacco is tobacco... Pete Johnson claims to use only first generation cuban seed, but in a difft climate.. there are going to be GREAT cubans, and theyre are going to be TERRBILE cubans.. same goes for NC's.. its a matter of your palate picking out a taste it likes... After all people have said in this thread.. theres people in countries where cc's are legal, yet they prefer NC's just because theres so much more out there to explore... rant rant rant... and everything i said here as already been said in this thread more than once.. so as previously mentioned.. "smoke what you like and like what you smoke" Dont get hung up on something just because its "cuban" or not..

Red
09-27-2009, 04:17 PM
is the left of the right boobie better ?

T.G
09-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I prefer the one in the middle.

[image deleted]

pnoon
09-27-2009, 04:23 PM

I prefer the one in the middle.

Let's try and keep this on topic.

jerseystepup
09-27-2009, 04:36 PM
High Five for sneaking in a total recall refrence.. Lets ask Arnold this question

PV1191
09-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Short answer is NO

T.G
09-27-2009, 04:40 PM
High Five for sneaking in a total recall refrence.. Lets ask Arnold this question

Arnold smokes both Cuban and Non-Cuban cigars, all of which tend to have one thing in common: they are all silly expensive.

King James
09-27-2009, 05:19 PM
they are all silly expensive.

are non-vintage regular production cubans really that much more expensive than good NCs? Like say a brown label Tatuaje which is around $10 a stick average I'd say.

T.G
09-27-2009, 05:30 PM
are non-vintage regular production cubans really that much more expensive than good NCs? Like say a brown label Tatuaje which is around $10 a stick average I'd say.

I was specifically talking about Governor Schwarzenegger's cigar choices, maybe you should ask him.

King James
09-27-2009, 05:35 PM
I was specifically talking about Governor Schwarzenegger's cigar choices.

Try not to take things out of context, chop the quotes up and then expect an answer because you're not going to get one.

Sorry... I was unaware the Governator discussed his smoking preferences with you directly

and apparently you didn't catch the sarcasm in my previous post :tu

Resipsa
09-27-2009, 05:37 PM
I was specifically talking about Governor Schwarzenegger's cigar choices.

Try not to take things out of context, chop the quotes up and then expect an answer because you're not going to get one.
I don't think James meant to chop your quote up. And for what it's worth, while the Governator may smoke NC"S that are "silly expensive", most non-vintage cubans are not, which I believe is James point.

T.G
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
Sorry... I was unaware the Governator discussed his smoking preferences with you directly

and apparently you didn't catch the sarcasm in my previous post :tu

I know people who smoke with him regularly, thats what they tell me.

King James
09-27-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't think James meant to chop your quote up. And for what it's worth, while the Governator may smoke NC"S that are "silly expensive", most non-vintage cubans are not, which I believe is James point.

excellent observation to my intent, Vic :)

T.G
09-27-2009, 05:43 PM
I don't think James meant to chop your quote up.

I apologize, I was a bit too quick to judge in my original response, which is why I changed my response.

I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt that he might not be intentionally trying to play games or be a dick and there might be a more reasonable explanation.

Tarks
09-27-2009, 05:46 PM
Would it be safe to say that most people are not comparing apples to apples in this discussion? I mean, in most conversations that I have had on this topic the discussion usually ends up comparing a $10-$20 NC to the average $3-$5 cc. What does this tell me. It tells me that on average cc's are a far more superior cigar to the nc for the money.

I agree that cc's tend to have more issues with construction but only at the lower end cigars such as HdM PE's, RyJ Mille Fleurs, Party Shorts etc. The premium cc's in the $10-$20 range don't have construction issues anymore than the premium nc's.

If we compared both cc's and nc's in the average price range of $5/stick there would be no doubt in my mind what I would be taking. The cc all day long.

T.G
09-27-2009, 05:50 PM
BTW, I don't think Arnold smokes anything that costs less than about $20-25/cigar.

As for the rest of us, meh, whatever you like, you smoke. I've never gotten into the is "such-and-such" a $10 NC better than a "this or that" $7 Cuban debate, or vice-versa at $7 and $10, or whatever, so I'm not going to start now. I think it's a silly argument.

Tarks
09-27-2009, 05:53 PM
BTW, I don't think Arnold smokes anything that costs less than about $20-25/cigar.

As for the rest of us, meh, whatever you like, you smoke. I've never gotten into the is "such-and-such" a $10 NC better than a "this or that" $7 Cuban debate, or vice-versa at $7 and $10, or whatever, so I'm not going to start now. I think it's a silly argument.

This is not an argument but rather a discussion.

markem
09-27-2009, 06:02 PM
I find this thread amazing. It seems to me that nothing brings out the knives faster than the old "NC v. CC" debate, er, discussion. This thread is continuing in that long and predictable tradition.

To me, the best cigar, at any price, is the one you like. Knowing that others like a cigar that you can't stand doesn't make that cigar a better fit for you or you an inferior chooser of cigars. In the end, you have to smoke the cigar, so it actually a deeply personal experience based on taste and enjoyment and all the many, many factors that affect that. In the end, like or dislike of a cigar is subjective and in the moment. It should not be up for a vote, IMO.

It doesn't matter if massive numbers of people post about liking one over the other. In the end, it is all about what the smoker likes at the moment. If the cigar currently lit isn't doing it, well, then it is an inferior cigar, no matter how many times the same box has yielded stellar results in the past. That's the beauty of this little hobby - something new around every bend in the river.

I also like that I can sit around with someone smoking grape swisher sweet and one smoking a 1492 and we can all enjoy our smokes and have a great time just reveling in our cigar. We are all equal - just sitting around smoking what makes us happy.

I encourage everyone to expand their palates and try something new. Who knows, you might find something you like. It may be a CC or an NC, but if it doesn't do it for you, please don't try to take away the enjoyment of those for whom it is a good cigar. It is only being polite.

bobarian
09-27-2009, 06:06 PM
I find this thread amazing.
I also like that I can sit around with someone smoking grape swisher sweet and one smoking a 1492 and we can all enjoy our smokes and have a great time just reveling in our cigar. We are all equal - just sitting around smoking what makes us happy.

I encourage everyone to expand their palates and try something new. Who knows, you might find something you like. It may be a CC or an NC, but if it doesn't do it for you, please don't try to take away the enjoyment of those for whom it is a good cigar. It is only being polite.

:tpd: You roll with an interesting crowd, my friend! :r

e-man67
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
They are just a different taste...nothing can replace it...but there are NC's just as good if not better IMO. I love and appreciate it all. :D

yachties23
09-27-2009, 06:10 PM
:tpd: I think they are for the most part but I can't go without my Pepins and most of those are well under $15. Plus, on the whole, Cuban cigars are much, much cheaper than nc premiums. For me, sometimes it just comes down to economics when I am choosing a box.

Greg and Joe are right. For the most part a 5 dollar CC will outperform a 15 dollar NC. The Cuban blends tend to be smoother and much more complex, and honestly to combat that most NC cigars are just over the top strong. Not something i look for in a cigar.

icehog3
09-27-2009, 06:50 PM
Short answer is NO

Opinions vary. ;)

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

HK3-
09-27-2009, 06:58 PM
:confused: I don't know.

Jimbo14
09-27-2009, 06:59 PM
Better?

I agree. NC seem to be constructed better and are more consistent. However in my opinion the flavours of CC are just alot more enjoyable.

If in doubt just try a Partagas Short.

TheTraveler
09-27-2009, 07:27 PM
I've only had a handful of CCs but I did enjoy them.

I'd suggest setting up a personal taste test but lordy, how would you ever manage a good setup? You'd have to smoke many marcas and vitolas of both CC and NC before being able to decide for yourself which cigars compare to one another and also which you'd even enjoy smoking to compare, then lay in a supply of fivers (or more) of each, then do a side-by-side test. By the time you managed all that you'd have already answered your own question! :r

So I'll take the advice of the more experienced and just keep on smokin' whatever I get my hands on. CC or NC, if I hate it I'll probably never try it again. CC or NC, if I like it I'll put it on the list. If I love it I'll try to stock up.

*shrug* Seems to me the best part of this hobby (aside from meeting people, which I've yet to do) is smoking 'em and deciding. Might find that $2 NC gem or discover a deep, abiding lust for that $25 CC. You never know.

Blueface
09-27-2009, 07:31 PM
My wife thinks so.
Since she is Cuban too, I also think so.
27 yrs to prove it!!! :r

Oh Crap!!!
The title says "Cuban Cigars".
I thought it said "Cubans".

M1903A1
09-27-2009, 07:33 PM
newbie here

Honestly? I'd say, by far, YES.

I became a Pepin whore early in my cigar career...once I discovered CCs in depth and built up a decent supply I found there really was no turning back.

That said, the way to make your own decision is to sample as many different kinds as you can. For example, many people like big cigars, whereas I don't, and many like Cohibas, whereas I find them very overrated.

:2 but that's the best way to find out!

:ss :tu

King James
09-27-2009, 07:34 PM
I know this is starting to beat a dead horse....but smoke what you like in the price range that is in your means.

Dave (trishield) has said many times that they still make junk like cremosas and others that I find repulsive....but some people have to be buying them and liking them. I have college friends who smoke backwoods and enjoy them.....granted they have never had a "good" cigar so have nothing to compare them to.

I think the more important part is the commoradary involved. They smoke backwoods, but it is a bunch of guys sitting together having a good time....so what they smoke is kind of irrelevant.

At shack herf this year some of us smoked an entire barberpole glasstop fauxiba. Granted we were slightly inebriated, but I will remember the fun we had versus the horrible cigar :)

Blueface
09-27-2009, 07:35 PM
Back on topic for me....
Are they better?
Different.
Personal preference.
I enjoy the their flavor much better.
However, I don't enjoy the plugged ones.
All a matter of taste.

M1903A1
09-27-2009, 07:39 PM
However, I don't enjoy the plugged ones.

I've developed a simple rule...cut it as soon as it comes out of the humi and do a draw test.

If it doesn't draw like a straw, say, "Naw!"

Repeat until you find one that does, and go from there!

Blueface
09-27-2009, 07:43 PM
I've developed a simple rule...cut it as soon as it comes out of the humi and do a draw test.

Repeat until you find one that does, and go from there!

So true!!!

King James
09-27-2009, 07:58 PM

I agree with not fighting through a plugged cigar, but I think drawing like a straw is a bit too loose. I think there should be a little resistance (especially to help with control of the burn). I'm not sure if you mean "straw" literally, or just figuratively to make the saying rhyme.....so if I am over-analyzing, Scott, my apologies :tu

kenstogie
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
I haven't had that many CC's. Maybe 50 in my life but they are different. Some I have had I thought were the best cigars I have ever had, others not so much. Like each person is an individual so is each cigar.

Tarks
09-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Exactly. The last thing I want is a wind tunnel.

warpedcigars
09-27-2009, 08:07 PM
A good cigar is a good cigar regardless if it came from Cuba or Nicaragua or Honduras or the Dominican Republic. Everyone's palates are different, so are their likes and dislikes.

T.G
09-27-2009, 08:31 PM
For the NC crowd:
http://www.kanyethis.com/?s=http://www.habanos.com/default.aspx&t=Cigars%20International

For the Habanos crowd:
http://www.kanyethis.com/?s=http://www.cigarsinternational.com/index.asp&t=Habanos

Tarks
09-27-2009, 08:58 PM
For the NC crowd:
http://www.kanyethis.com/?s=http://www.habanos.com/default.aspx&t=Cigars%20International

For the Habanos crowd:
http://www.kanyethis.com/?s=http://www.cigarsinternational.com/index.asp&t=Habanos

lol!

gbum
09-28-2009, 04:41 AM
i'm pretty new to handrolled cigar... but i try to smoke both cc and nc even though there are very limited nc here and the cc are freaking expensive..i do love monte..punch and partagas...at the same time quantanamera and h upman are shitty to me... but still...i love the padron and don diego aniversarios...

like said... its down to each own preferences...

but so far... i love cc :ss

ahc4353
09-28-2009, 07:19 AM
I can count on one hand the NC's that I really enjoyed. Most make my saliva glands kick into overdrive and I find are "harsh" for lack of a better word. CC's are milder and more flavorful to me with no saliva issues.

Of the NC's I have had, I would pick a CC over an NC ALMOST every time.

Find what you like and smoke those is the best advice I can give. As long as you enjoy it, who cares. :)

M1903A1
09-28-2009, 07:24 AM
I agree with not fighting through a plugged cigar, but I think drawing like a straw is a bit too loose. I think there should be a little resistance (especially to help with control of the burn). I'm not sure if you mean "straw" literally, or just figuratively to make the saying rhyme.....so if I am over-analyzing, Scott, my apologies :tu

A bit of both, actually...I figured it would be a more useful rule of thumb if it rhymed, and it should have a good draw the moment it's cut. In my experience, if it's got a stiff draw when you cut it, it's not gonna get any better as you smoke it (in fact it will often get worse).

Addiction
09-28-2009, 08:22 AM
yes they are.

BlackDog
09-28-2009, 08:50 AM
Are cigars from the B&M better than cigars bought from e-tailers? :r

:rolleyes:

pnoon
09-28-2009, 08:52 AM

That is downright evil. :D

Da Klugs
09-28-2009, 09:38 AM
It's a question that needs to be answered by each smoker... what they prefer to smoke. One answer is that a large percentage of those who explore the issue end up with a concurrence to your question. It might just all be peer pressure and herd mentality though. :)

Best for what type of smoker is also a germane point. NC cigars are trending towards two seemingly dichotomous points. 1. Stronger and stronger blends which would seem to appeal to "mouth only" smokers and the Jolt cola generation who follow the more is better mantra. 2. Specially blended, crafted and packaged cigars that more and more are demonstrating the depth and nuance experienced in Cuban cigars through the nasal exhale.

Remember that the Cubans had a couple hundred year head start on the cultivation and processes. NC cigar makers seem to be able to get much closer to the smoking and flavor profiles in the past few years. Getting closer to a comparable price point is a more difficult issue.

HK3-
09-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Oh man, please don't start that one again! :fu

gnukfu
09-28-2009, 10:04 AM

Addiction
09-28-2009, 10:09 AM
........1. Stronger and stronger blends which would seem to appeal to "mouth only" smokers and the Jolt cola generation who follow the more is better mantra. 2. Specially blended, crafted and packaged cigars that more and more are demonstrating the depth and nuance experienced in Cuban cigars through the nasal exhale........
I'd agree with these points, and it seems more and more mouth smokers are confusing strength for flavor or probably more appropriately for goodness. there are so many cigars that I loved as a mouth smoker that I can't deal with as a nose smoker.

I'd also agree that there are some tasty noncubans out there but those cigars are typically, in my opinion, a little less nuanced and complex than their CC counterparts.

beamish
09-29-2009, 04:42 AM
better taste...higher chance of plugged stick...:2

2000ARMY
09-29-2009, 05:04 AM
I switched over to CC's and I don't plan on going back to NC's.

elderboy02
09-29-2009, 05:05 AM
I like both. I would say I like NC's more right now b/c I like a spicier and full bodied cigar. I would say I smoke NC's 60% of the time and CC's 40% of the time.

One thing I absolutely hate about CC's is the poor construction. I hate having a plugged cigar :2

I don't think I have had a plugged NC.

Tredegar
09-29-2009, 09:43 AM
I don't think I have had a plugged NC.

Then you haven't had a Tatuaje Lancero....

As an added note, I will be switching to CCs almost exclusively when the embargo lifts.

King James
09-29-2009, 10:44 AM

As an added note, I will be switching to CCs almost exclusively when the embargo lifts.

After that happens the argument about many regular production CCs being cheaper than NCs will almost certainly go out the door

Mr.Maduro
09-29-2009, 10:51 AM

Start saving your $$ now and expect the quality to be worse when all the embargo supplies are exhausted.

TripleF
09-29-2009, 11:19 AM
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Give me $10,000 to spend on cigars and I wouldn't spend 5 cents of it on cc's.

SkinsFanLarry
09-29-2009, 11:28 AM

I've gone thru more than three (3) boxes of the Tat Lancero's and not a single one was plugged....nice draw on every one of them! :tu

....and I'm definately with you Triple F! :tu

ahc4353
09-29-2009, 11:31 AM
I'm so glad this question has finally been cleared up! :D

Easy
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I say yes. Not everyone will ever agree, one way or another. To each his own.

icehog3
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
ABSOLUTELY NOT.

Give me $10,000 to spend on cigars and I wouldn't spend 5 cents of it on cc's.

Can you buy me a box of Party Shorts, Scott? :)

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. ;)

Blueface
09-29-2009, 01:25 PM

:r:r:r

This topic reminds me of this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2xMGI-QpZw

Da Klugs
09-29-2009, 01:40 PM

:tu:r

Mugen910
09-29-2009, 01:42 PM
Can you buy me a box of Party Shorts, Scott? :)

Smoke what you like, like what you smoke. ;)

I'd take a box of HU CM's :tu :dr

ahc4353
09-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Reminds me of THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk).

Blueface
09-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Reminds me of THIS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk).

T.G
09-29-2009, 02:20 PM

I was actually thinking of something more like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IU1bzZheWk

--------------

EDIT: Nevermind. This was already posted and I missed it.

bookman
09-29-2009, 02:50 PM
CCs are like cigars from the land of dreams or another dimension they have the same names as cigars you see everyday in the B&M but they are not the same then they have different names they smell better when you open the box and they taste better so its like you are smoking cigars froma nother dimension.

bookman

bookman
09-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Or to put it this way: NCs are Phil Collins Genesis. CCs are Peter Gabriel Genesis.

Resipsa
09-29-2009, 04:01 PM
http://fast1.onesite.com/fans.wwe.com/user/masterofxtreme93/die_thread_die.jpg

Just sayin......

Blueface
09-29-2009, 04:47 PM

Just sayin......

No way Vic.
I say expand the topic. :r

Assuming Cubans are the best, what are the best Cubans?
Assuming Cubans are not the best, what are the best non Cubans?
Assuming you don't know, what would you guess?
Assuming you would guess, why would you guess that?

ChicagoWhiteSox
09-29-2009, 04:49 PM
No way Vic.
I say expand the topic. :r

Assuming Cubans are the best, what are the best Cubans?
Assuming Cubans are not the best, what are the best non Cubans?
Assuming you don't know, what would you guess?
Assuming you would guess, why would you guess that?

:r

T.G
09-29-2009, 04:59 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqvBIR0k1_o

bookman
09-29-2009, 05:12 PM
Why should this thread die? It sems like a good one.

kgoings
09-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I'm about a 50/50 CC vs. NC smoker right now. For strength and spice the NC's have it hands down. As for depth and nuance it's CC's.
I prefer a medium strength cigar so the cubans are right up my alley. The price is another huge factor.

You choose, a box of Fuentes for 400 bucks or a box of Party shorts and a box of Montes #4's and a box Bolivar Gold Medals. For me, it's a no brainer.

When I do go back and smoke an NC, it is usually a Hemmingway, VSG, Pepin, or Illusione.

Blueface
09-29-2009, 06:20 PM
Why should this thread die? It sems like a good one.

This will have a "final answer" or consensus once we can figure out what came first, the chicken or the egg.:D

pnoon
09-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Cello on? or off?

Smokin Gator
09-29-2009, 06:24 PM
Cello on? or off?

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooo... not that one:su

Blueface
09-29-2009, 06:54 PM
Cello on? or off?

Oh no!!!!!!!!!
What have you done Peter?

OK,
I'll bite.:r

OFF

M1903A1
09-29-2009, 07:07 PM

Just sayin......

BUMP! :r

:lv

Ratters
09-29-2009, 07:09 PM
Cello on? or off?

I prefer to smoke mine with the cello off, but whatever floats your boat.

:tf :ss

Fishbeadtwo
09-29-2009, 08:31 PM
torch or soft flame?

chippewastud79
09-29-2009, 08:32 PM
Palio or Xikar? :hm

longknocker
09-29-2009, 08:33 PM
Cello on? or off?

Not Again!!!!:r

longknocker
09-29-2009, 08:34 PM
torch or soft flame?

:bh:bh:r

KenS
09-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Cello on? or off?

torch or soft flame?

I'm a CC-Cello off-Torch-Palio "snob" myself :ss

Tarks
09-29-2009, 08:52 PM
Cello on? or off?

If we would all just smoke cc's then we wouldn't have to answer that question!

T.G
09-29-2009, 08:54 PM
Cello on? or off?

Maybe he was asking about machine mades...

icehog3
09-29-2009, 08:56 PM
Feed me enough liquor (like the night in question), and I will tell you about trying to smoke a cigar with the cedar still on. :r

Resipsa
09-30-2009, 01:31 PM
Feed me enough liquor (like the night in question), and I will tell you about trying to smoke a cigar with the cedar still on. :r

was it woody? I often wondered if leaving the cedar on cigars increased the woodiness of them.

Blueface
09-30-2009, 01:42 PM
was it woody?

Be careful with words like that. My wife may get some ideas.:r

bookman
10-01-2009, 11:35 AM
I like to light my cigars with the burning cello.

mariogolbee
10-02-2009, 12:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqvBIR0k1_o
I've been trying to get a copy of that movie. Es muy dificil.

mariogolbee
10-02-2009, 12:50 AM
Not everyone has got it like that. I've found Real ones pretty difficult to get a hold of most of the time. Supposedly something like 97% of what comes here is fake anyway.:(

T.G
10-02-2009, 10:38 AM
Not everyone has got it like that. I've found Real ones pretty difficult to get a hold of most of the time. Supposedly something like 97% of what comes here is fake anyway.:(

LOL.

Tapout/Legend, izzat you? :D;s

SilverFox
10-02-2009, 10:49 AM

:confused::confused:

Where did you get that stat??

Scottw
10-02-2009, 11:07 AM
Cello on? or off?

Front to back or Back to front?

ahc4353
10-02-2009, 11:18 AM
70 or 65% RH? :hm

King James
10-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Supposedly something like 97% of what comes here is fake anyway.:(

woah! :jd

In all seriousness, though, I would check that source....as that number seems slightly high

Unless it is referring to 97% of the things brought back from Mexico street vendors or something

T.G
10-02-2009, 11:25 AM

In all seriousness, though, I would check that source....as that number seems slightly high

Unless it is referring to 97% of the things brought back from Mexico street vendors or something

If that's the case, I'd say it's about 3% low of correct. ;)

bookman
10-02-2009, 11:30 AM
Right, guys. Maybe Mario meant the percentage of sticks coming into the Bay Area?? And maybe, being Cali, more fakes are coming in SotB??

VirtualSmitty
10-02-2009, 11:34 AM

Nah, there's a couple of LCDHs in Mexico.

T.G
10-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Right, guys. Maybe Mario meant the percentage of sticks coming into the Bay Area?? And maybe, being Cali, more fakes are coming in SotB??

With as many cigars as Bob buys, even if every other one of us was buying fakes, that number would be much, much lower. :ss

T.G
10-02-2009, 11:40 AM

Nah, there's a couple of LCDHs in Mexico.

I don't consider an LCdH an "or something". A Tijuana trinket shop that sells glass top Cohibas is an "or something" though.

Anyway, it was TG humor regarding the fact that it's probably impossible to buy a real Cuban cigar on the street in Mexico.

Snake Hips
10-02-2009, 11:43 AM

I've read that statistic before, but it's referring to Habanos bought in the U.S., not brought into it.

Oh, and, ahem...Cubans are better, yes ;)

I'm surprised how many people are complaining about plugged cigars. Where are you buying these things from? I've smoked Habanos almost exclusively for a year now and I can count my plugged cigars on one hand I think. Tight draws show up now and then, but plugs are just downright rare.

VirtualSmitty
10-02-2009, 11:44 AM
I don't consider an LCdH an "or something". A Tijuana trinket shop that sells glass top Cohibas is an "or something" though.

That totally clears things up for me :r

T.G
10-02-2009, 11:58 AM
That totally clears things up for me :r

ucubed
10-02-2009, 12:04 PM
I've smoked through plenty of non cubans, and smoke any new non cuban that comes out at least once. However I find in general I prefer cubans over non cubans with the EXCEPTION of Tatuaje, Illusione, 601 and Cubao as well as a couple other individuals

ZenSilk
10-02-2009, 01:00 PM
I've smoked through plenty of non cubans, and smoke any new non cuban that comes out at least once. However I find in general I prefer cubans over non cubans with the EXCEPTION of Tatuaje, Illusione, 601 and Cubao as well as a couple other individuals

Jeeze, my thoughts exactly! :tu

mariogolbee
10-02-2009, 03:25 PM
In regards to the like 97% of Cubans here are fake I don't have a source to cite but it can be googled. Wen I was on my quest to buy Cubans,being half Cuban myself, I did some asking of my family and looked around on the web.
When asking my family in and around Miami they found that most of the Cubans we know say that most of them are fake also. At least the ones sold here and not through Habanos supplied vendors. I've gotten my hands on some that were brought in and THEN sent to me and I've bought some damn tasty sticks that are supposed to be Cubans here. They were still good but questionable. I'd do some asking here but from what I've read it's a huge no no. I'll get some, somehow, eventually. All in good time.
I can't wait til the day I can wrap my paws around a delicious Chiba Siglo II!

mariogolbee
10-02-2009, 03:53 PM
Have a good day!

pnoon
10-02-2009, 04:43 PM
Supposedly something like 97% of what comes here is fake anyway.:(

Prefy
10-02-2009, 05:05 PM

this is still going, eh?:r

Resipsa
10-02-2009, 05:13 PM
does everybody in the world need to weigh in on this, or can we let it die now?:r

pnoon
10-02-2009, 06:02 PM
does everybody in the world need to weigh in on this, or can we let it die now?:r

Sorry, Vic. I'll behave. :sad

longknocker
10-02-2009, 06:03 PM

:tu:2

icehog3
10-02-2009, 10:55 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM0oSDLT520

King James
10-02-2009, 11:24 PM
everytime this thread is brought back up, an Emu dies

http://www.laneselfdefense.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/425emu.jpg

(except this time)

icehog3
10-02-2009, 11:25 PM
That bird is a liar!!

King James
10-02-2009, 11:26 PM
That bird is a liar!!

thats another one dead!

damnit and another since i replied :(

ir13
10-02-2009, 11:34 PM
i dont like emu's anyways :tg

pnoon
10-02-2009, 11:39 PM
i dont like emu's anyways :tg

Rumor has it you prefer sheep. :D

icehog3
10-02-2009, 11:47 PM

That comment was Baaaaaaaaaa-d, Peter. ;)

ir13
10-03-2009, 12:05 AM

Only during leap years :D

icehog3
10-03-2009, 12:11 AM
Only during leap years :D

Joey must be a .....

http://i196.photobucket.com/albums/aa73/icehog3/LeapYearBaby.jpg

bookman
10-03-2009, 06:01 PM
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f293/monkeytot/S7302263.jpg

They are the best and the BADDEST. Any more questions?

Captain Crunch
10-03-2009, 06:23 PM
I have smoked domestic cigars for 10 years... until I discovered Cubans and I will never go back to smoking a Domestic Nerd ever again.

Resipsa
10-03-2009, 07:01 PM
Nope, they can't let it die,:r

bookman
10-03-2009, 08:06 PM

Ahhh! I think a bulb just lit over my head!:)

Mr. Ed
10-04-2009, 08:58 AM

I don't see the problem with continuing the discussion.:confused: From what I've been reading it's very civil and everyone is just giving their opinions, thoughts, along with anecdotal evidence. No one is telling anyone else what to smoke or how to smoke. :2

King James
10-04-2009, 09:19 AM
I don't see the problem with continuing the discussion.:confused: From what I've been reading it's very civil and everyone is just giving their opinions, thoughts, along with anecdotal evidence. No one is telling anyone else what to smoke or how to smoke. :2

because people will never agree....so it is just people saying "I like this better" or "I like this better"

.....and besides, think of those poor poor Emus!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_4FODF6KVOUA/SSfJN8i4GAI/AAAAAAAAAUQ/7oIe0BcZ_o8/s400/Emu+pic.jpg

icehog3
10-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Die, emu, die! :r

Resipsa
10-04-2009, 04:24 PM
Die, emu, die! :r

Just for that Admiral...

Die, thread, Die!!

longknocker
10-04-2009, 05:14 PM
Just for that Admiral...

Die, thread, Die!!

I Second The Motion!:tu:D

mariogolbee
10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
"Dunt, dunt, dunt. Another Emu bites the dust!!!":D

Smokin Gator
10-04-2009, 05:17 PM
Butter is better than margarine!!!

mariogolbee
10-04-2009, 05:20 PM
Sure is. And coconut oil is even better than butter!

yachties23
10-04-2009, 06:31 PM
Sure is. And coconut oil is even better than butter!

Almond butter > peanut butter

jerseystepup
10-04-2009, 06:59 PM

Well where does i can't believe its not butter fall into this? that stuff is good.. what about butter flavored pam for cooking?

and oh yea tobacco is tobacco no matter where its from.. just a matter of what you like as everyone has said.. like why does one person smoke marlboros and another camels? whatever your taste is for..

King James
10-04-2009, 07:02 PM
why must we keep repeating the same thing in this thread and then go back to nonsense

http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/alxtronics-346102-albums-sam-pic22923-dead-thread.jpg

Smokin Gator
10-04-2009, 07:17 PM
why must we keep repeating the same thing in this thread and then go back to nonsense

http://www.city-data.com/forum/members/alxtronics-346102-albums-sam-pic22923-dead-thread.jpg

Well, that is all true... but butter IS better than margarine:banger

mariogolbee
10-04-2009, 07:29 PM
Well, that is all true... but butter IS better than margarine:banger
I agree. What one spreads with or cooks with depends entirely on preference though.:2

hotreds
10-04-2009, 07:33 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H8KDKpNcbYo/SddtHEoKyUI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/ouzgOpcCXaA/s400/BeatDeadHorse%5B1%5D.png

Smokin Gator
10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_H8KDKpNcbYo/SddtHEoKyUI/AAAAAAAAAbQ/ouzgOpcCXaA/s400/BeatDeadHorse%5B1%5D.png

Federal grants are better than state grants:r:r

Smokin Gator
10-04-2009, 07:35 PM
^^^^ Sorry I will stop now!!

mariogolbee
10-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Federal grants are better than state grants:r:r
You tell him Brent!:r

icehog3
10-04-2009, 09:29 PM
Ok...I keel it! :D