PDA

View Full Version : Opus X A

mariogolbee
09-26-2009, 12:04 AM
I just picked up one of these bad boys. Not planning on smoking it for a while but has anyone out there tried it?

icehog3
09-26-2009, 12:06 AM
Welcome to the Asylum, Mario! :ss

Haven't had an X A, but my experience with OpusX has been hit and miss...more misses than hits, unfortunately.

E.J.
09-26-2009, 12:10 AM
The are supposed to be the bomb. I am so NEW to this you can take my word with a grain of salt, but had one tonight and it was a dud. Could not keep it lit, worked the chit out of it. Bought my neighbor one and his was gold.... He was trying to give his to me and I was having none of it, though then he just tried different tactics to get mine to burn with no results.....

Long story short, with a post regarding this(see the forums), it appears that maybe there are those that think this is something that needs to sit a year or 2.... I was not aware of this prior to putting a flame to mine this evening(purchased this morning 11:00 AM).....

Will pick up 2 tomorrow...

mariogolbee
09-26-2009, 12:28 AM
Thanks Icehog!
Hey E.J., If you want an aged one look for a good deal on the Journey to Chateu de la Fuente aged set. I found mine at Cigarmonster.com one night for just over $100 shipped. I usually see them on sites for $160 for four sticks. This way they're already aged and still $25-40 a stick. All ready to go. I've had two Opus X's so far and the Aged Scorpio from that set was FANTASTIC! And still less than a B&M. I just can't wait for the other one's in my wineador to settle down.

sikk50
09-26-2009, 01:23 AM
I've been wanting to get my hands on an A for long time but theyre really hard for me to find.

Don Fernando
09-26-2009, 01:48 AM
I smoked one that was given to me when I hosted a whisky tasting at my place, amazing stick and it took me over 3 hours to finish it.

dunng
09-26-2009, 07:46 AM
I have three from '05 that I cannot bear to smoke... I guess they will be resting a bit longer. :D

Opus X in generally is pretty strong fresh but mellows out after a few years... :tu

jerseystepup
09-26-2009, 08:27 AM
did fuente recently release more?

yourchoice
09-26-2009, 08:55 AM
I've had one resting for about a year or so in my humi. Picked it up at Holts (at their retail location) at MSRP. I'm surprised there aren't any reviews here for it. When (and if :r) I smoke I may have to change that.

Other Opuses that I've had ranged from very (read too) strong fresh - almost harsh, to very good (while still quite strong) after some down time. If it were me I'd let it sit for a while and fire it up next summer or later. :2

stearns
09-26-2009, 08:56 AM
id love to get my hands on one, but thats too pricey for my budget. write a review when you smoke it!

stearns

mariogolbee
09-26-2009, 09:54 AM
Jersey, I don't know if they released more. I've seen them on CI and at one local B&M for a grip. I got a killer deal from kaelaria on his site so I picked it up while I had the chance. I was wondering if it was more novelty than anything though. I guess if I let it rest, which I was going to for a bit anyway, then it'll be a nice long smoke next year. I should try and post a review when I do smoke it though.

mariogolbee
09-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Has anyone else out there smoked this behemoth?

Bubba - NJ
09-27-2009, 04:44 PM
This was the single biggest let down of a cigar for me . Burn was horrible , kept going out and taste was acrid . I had it in my humi for a couple years . Not worth the risk of revisiting . However the Super Belicoso , Reserva de' Chateau and Petit Belicoso are excellent cigars .

mariogolbee
09-27-2009, 09:29 PM
That's too bad. Well, it's too late now. I'll just have to let it sit there and hope it turns out alright when I get around to it. Thanks for the input from all of you. I appreciate it.

NCRadioMan
09-27-2009, 09:39 PM
Has anyone else out there smoked this behemoth?

I have and like 99% of the Opus I have smoked, not a fan.

Darrell
09-27-2009, 09:42 PM
I smoked one a few New Years Eve ago and got the ash all the way to the band before it fell. I wish I could find the pic. :sad

mariogolbee
09-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I smoked one a few New Years Eve ago and got the ash all the way to the band before it fell. I wish I could find the pic. :sad

That's one hell of an ash!

El Fumador
09-28-2009, 12:44 AM
It's funny how much I read online about how dissappointed people are with Opus X. I started smoking fuentes in 2000, and the old guys at the shop in san antonio used to say how over rated opus is. I smoked an opus X A after the florida/OU national champonship game. It was absolutely awesome, took over 2 1/2 hours. It was smooth and the strength was defientely present. Half way through I looked at my buddy wondering if we were going to get through it. It is a very strong cigar, even with a few years on it. The one I smoked had 2 years on it in my box, and I have another with 3 years on it. There have been some opus X that are too strong fresh, the no. 4 is my least favorite opus X. The petite lancero, the reserva de chateau, the robusto, the charity opus x, these are all wonderful. Opus X is always been my favorite cigar, and the A is a rare treat. I have half a box of double coronas that are almost as big as the A, haven't smoked any yet, hope there as good as the A was. I don't know if my ash held on the whole way but it was on a good protion of the cigar. I have had great luck with Opus X, the only problem i encounter with them is re-lighting. It's such a rich cigar that all the moisture from the oil's in the wrapper some people complain of tar at the end of the cigar, and this cigar absorbs humidity well, so i like to smoke it a little more dry at 62 to 65% to really enjoy opus. I have found when i keep it at 65 to 70% with all my cuban stuff, ( cuban stuff dry's out easy so i have to keep a higher humidity ) the opus x gets a little sticky and is hard to keep them lit. But this has never affected the taste of the cigar, and this cigar doesn't get hot like some padron's i smoke. It all matter's how much you pay for this cigar, if you paid less than $45 for this cigar then you will be very happy. I've heard of people paying up to $200 a stick which is out of control.