PDA

View Full Version : Major Disappointment w/ my first Opus X

E.J.
09-25-2009, 08:54 PM
Oh No!!! That Opus X was a MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT. Took them over to the neighbors to have them..... One for him, one for me... He was the guy that got me started on this. I was like a kid at Christmas waiting to go light up with him, so him todays take.....

Long story short....his was great and I couldn't keep mine lit.... It was a dud..... He kept trying to just give me the one I gave him. When declined, he tried to work it for me to get it "going" and it was for not.... I felt CHEATED. Waited all day to be blown away and was left wanting....

He did give me a humidor to use, so all was not lost.... But I am bummed.....

Going back tomorrow to get humidor gear.... Is it poor taste to tell the shop that I was sold a bad stick.... Or are those the breaks?

bobarian
09-25-2009, 09:15 PM
Fresh OpusX's are not the greatest smoke. If you are looking for a fancy stick to smoke fresh I would go with a Padron Anniversary. But after a year or more Opus' really pick up. :2

Darrell
09-25-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm with Bob.

As far as going to the B&M and telling them you got sold a bad stick -- it can be a tricky situation. Did you just buy them tonight and take them straight over to your friends pad or did you buy them and store them a while?

If you just bought them and they did not stay lit, by all means let your retailer know. If you stored them a while, it may have been your humidor and not really fair to blame the retailer.

This is just my :2.

SmokeyJoe
09-25-2009, 09:19 PM
Fresh OpusX's are not the greatest smoke. If you are looking for a fancy stick to smoke fresh I would go with a Padron Anniversary. But after a year or more Opus' really pick up. :2

:tpd: Bob is good... Bob is wise. :D

Give the Opus a year or two... I love 'em.

You can always mention to the shop owner that one of them was bad... while you are buying other smokes. I have been very fortunate in dealing with B&M owners that want to keep a customer coming back. He might offer to make it good... or throw in something extra. He doesn't have to, but many times they will if you approach it right.

:ss

sikk50
09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
I had a problem with a power ranger one night while my friend had no troubles with the robusto that same night. Fresh Opus are hit or miss at best.

mariogolbee
09-25-2009, 09:40 PM
I had a Scorpio a week ago and I was blown away by it! SO SMOOTH and not a bit harsh at all. It obviously came aged though. Received some fresher different sized ones yesterday packed with a humi pouch and pulled out the #4 for a quick smoke. It clogged up on me after the first third and I had to relight it. I was disappointed until the last third and then voila! It turned into a piece of heaven thank God! After that I didn't put it down until I had like a half inch left. The experience left me thinking that I'll let the others age for at least a few months before giving them a try though. I think if you want a good one right away you might want to look out for a Journey to Chateu la de dah aged collection and smoke those. Overall they beat the store prices that way on singles and they're aged a few years already. Good luck!

GreekGodX
09-25-2009, 10:07 PM
I had one with about 5 years of age on it and it was a great smoke. Did it wow me beyond belief? No. Would I smoke one again? Yes, but I'm not going out of my way to buy any. Especially when a local B&M who just got them yesterday are selling at above $30 a stick. The ones I've bought were half that price. Great construction and draw but for me comes up a little short on flavor. :2

JJG
09-25-2009, 10:11 PM
man I'm sorry to hear that. For how much these cost, you expect (and deserve) perfection. Unfortunately cigars are still a handmade product and there's no way to guarantee 100% consistency. However, that isn't really anything the shop has control over.

There's nothing wrong with giving them your opinion on a cigar purchase, but I wouldn't do so with the expectation of a replacement or refund.

E.J.
09-25-2009, 11:28 PM
I will go in tomorrow and buy two more to give it a second try... Just wanted to know if mentioning my experience would be in poor taste....

I am not waiting 2 years.... I have been smoking good cigars for 2 weeks.....I buy and smoke..... Though I did just get a humidor.....:tu

E.J.
09-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Oh....and to be clear, yes, bought this morning and smoked this evening. I was not aware that it was not a smoke I was to wait a year or more on....

Maybe this was my issue.....:confused:

I am VERY NEW to the cigar enjoyment.... So I am VERY much learning as I go....

E.J.
09-25-2009, 11:41 PM
I have been doing that(4 last Saturday).... Wanted to go outside the norm.... The Padron's have been AMAZING.....but trying to expand....

kelmac07
09-25-2009, 11:45 PM
Sorry your first Opus X wasn't all that you expected!!

duckmanco
09-26-2009, 02:28 AM
I don't think they are any better than most other full bodied cigars that taste of spicy cinnamon leather..... Litto's puros are IMO a WAAAY better example of the dom. puro. Manufactured rarities that complete with all the hype and fanboys you could ever want.....of course YMMV

kenstogie
09-26-2009, 03:36 AM
I"d suspect you need to give them more "rest". IMO its a smoke that really does age and develop. To me a year is still to young. For these.

timo
09-26-2009, 05:17 AM
It just bugs the heck out of me that these companies can sell you a product for good money and when the product malfunctions tell you oh well that's how cigars are. I say Bullshiite! We're not talking a two dollar item here. These things have a reputation for being one of the best. Good Cigars are not cheap anymore and these companies should assure the quality of their products and when you do get a dud they should replace it. As far as aging goes if they know the cigar is going to be inconsistent when fresh then they should age it before they sell it. Why the heck should i have to buy something and then let it sit a year before I use it? I can't think of any other product or industry that operates like this. Well that's my rant for the day.:2 Thanks for listening:)

sodomanaz
09-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Well, what I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet is that the general rule of thumb is to let the cigar rest after purchase. A lot of stores keep their humidors a bit moister than what you would keep at home.

If it is being a pain to keep lit, it's probably a bit wet, and needed to be dry-boxed for a day or two.

I know it goes against your current ways, but once you get into this a bit (humidor(s), dry-boxing), you will notice a difference between a fresh from the store cigar and one that has been given some time to be ready to smoke. :)

Red
09-26-2009, 06:21 AM
dont fret young grass hopper, just try again!

RevSmoke
09-26-2009, 06:41 AM
Considering that one of the mottos for the Fuente line is, "we never rush the hands of time," one wonders why a wait of a year is necessary. I have had the similar construction experiences - an even burn has been a rarity for me. I so badly want to like these, but when I get one and I get burned, it leaves me waiting for a long time to get another.

This left me very hesitant to try the Anejo line. Here my experience is just the opposite. Wish I could afford more of those, I have never (through about 10 of them) had a bad one.

timo
09-26-2009, 06:52 AM
Well, what I'm surprised hasn't been brought up yet is that the general rule of thumb is to let the cigar rest after purchase. A lot of stores keep their humidors a bit moister than what you would keep at home.

If it is being a pain to keep lit, it's probably a bit wet, and needed to be dry-boxed for a day or two.

I know it goes against your current ways, but once you get into this a bit (humidor(s), dry-boxing), you will notice a difference between a fresh from the store cigar and one that has been given some time to be ready to smoke. :)
He bought two cigars and had problems with one so I doubt it was stores humidor

coastietech
09-26-2009, 06:56 AM
I've smoked a couple of Opus, one was fresh the other 2 were gifted with some time. They all burned great and were decent smokes, but to be honest the flavor didn't do much for me. I'll take an Anejo over an Opus every time.

There are a few hyped cigars that I have tried and wasn't very impressed with, Opus just being one of them.

JJG
09-26-2009, 07:21 AM
I will go in tomorrow and buy two more to give it a second try... Just wanted to know if mentioning my experience would be in poor taste....

I am not waiting 2 years.... I have been smoking good cigars for 2 weeks.....I buy and smoke..... Though I did just get a humidor.....:tu

That's the spirit! I love Opus and would hate to see you get turned off of them from one bad experience.

also, it's true that they can improve with age but the fact that it's fresh shouldn't have any effect on the draw or burn. you just got a dud.

as far aging cigars, I with you there too. People say the same thing about Cubans, but I don't buy cigars to sit on them. I buy with the expectation that I should be able to smoke them right away. There are benefits to aging, I just don't have the patience and bank account to do so.

GoldnGT
09-26-2009, 08:25 AM

my cousin said the same thing... Bought a 5 holder travel humi... Said he would never need anything bigger because he would just buy and smoke. Now he has three humidor packed to the brim letting sticks age because he realizes how much better they are.

Bruce
09-26-2009, 09:16 AM
It's sometimes hard to match a cigar's hype with your anticipation and expectations.
IMHO, fresh Opus is almost unsmokable. Poor burn, and too peppery. They lack balance.
But if you have the patience to age them, they can be a very good smoke.

Years ago I was at a private party with Carlito Fuente. I gave him a Fuente-Fuente from the very first release. At this time this cigar had 6 years of age on it.
He fired it up and even he was amazed. he walked over to his brother-in-law Wayne Suarez and the Newman Brothers and described what age had done to this cigar.

I once traded Cuban Davidoffs for first release Fuente-Fuentes. Yes, Opus can be that good when stored and aged properly!

E.J.
09-26-2009, 11:20 AM
That's the spirit! I love Opus and would hate to see you get turned off of them from one bad experience.

Make that 4.... Only paid for 3....:tu

Shop was more than happy to replace my defect.

timo
09-26-2009, 12:27 PM

That is awesome. :banger:bangerThat's how to make happy customers. :):)Can you tell us the name so we can all shop there

SmokeyJoe
09-26-2009, 01:05 PM

As I suspected... let them rest now and enjoy them later, bro! :tu

Blueface
09-26-2009, 01:32 PM
Wow! Opus X A.
Can't possible imagine if I could be conscious nearly 3 hours later.:D