PDA

View Full Version : What's in your smoker?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22

tuxpuff
09-22-2009, 03:24 PM
Have something in your smoker? Let's see some pics!

Fired mine up last weekend for the football games.

Pork butt, brisket, couple racks of ribs, and bbq beans.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0003-3.jpg

KalisGR3
09-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Ummmm....Can I come over?:dr

Smokin Gator
09-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Killer looking bark on the butt and brisket!!!! What happened to the rest of the flat on that brisket??? Did you eat it already before the pic??:r:r

tuxpuff
09-22-2009, 04:59 PM
Killer looking bark on the butt and brisket!!!! What happened to the rest of the flat on that brisket??? Did you eat it already before the pic??:r:r

It was a short flat...or a big point...one or the other! :D

Smokin Gator
09-22-2009, 05:05 PM
IMO you got the best of the brisket anyway... the point with a little bit of the flat!!!! I bet it was tasty!!

tuxpuff
09-22-2009, 05:29 PM
Heck yea..we call it the 'wet' over here...and it sure was wet and oh so yummy.

Smokin Gator
09-22-2009, 06:11 PM
My family will hardly eat sliced brisket anymore. They want point that is cooked until it is black, then cubed, then seasoned with some more rub, then sauced and put back on the smoker for a while (burnt ends). I have actually started cubing the whole brisket and doing the whole thing like that. MMMMmmmm!!!

Smokin Gator
09-22-2009, 06:13 PM
BTW... I love your Dutch Oven for beans!!! That one looks like it has seen the smoker once or twice!!

tuxpuff
09-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Man that sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of the burnt ends :dr

Haha yeah that dutch oven has been around the block a few times...makes a nice pot of beans.

raisin
09-25-2009, 07:01 PM

Mastectomy!

BTW... I love your Dutch Oven for beans!!! That one looks like it has seen the smoker once or twice!!

On the Weber Smoky Mountain you can place the bean pot on the bottom shelf and the butts on the top shelf. The pork fat renders into the beans and introduces a richness that is :banger

I picked up a nice Waygu flat that i'm going to cure and turn into pastrami. I'm hoping that the high fat content will produce a similiar mouth-feel to the beef plate that they use in the traditional preparation.
(btw, i've experienced Waygu deckle (point), and it is sickenly rich.)

T.G
09-25-2009, 08:08 PM
After seeing the tuxpuff's photo, I am not even going to bother embarrassing myself by posting photos.

tuxpuff
09-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Bah! Post em up T.G!

tuxpuff
09-26-2009, 07:32 AM
Another week of football...another pork butt and brisket. So far 8 hours on the butt...10 hours on the brisket.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0037.jpg

mosesbotbol
09-27-2009, 07:40 AM
How much smoke gets added to the baked beans? I would imagine a lot if they are in there for a while.

Not doing anything with the WSM this weekend.

One thing I suggest all to try when using their smoker is making smoked salt. Put a cup of salt on a plate and just leave in the smoker. Stir it a couple of times and that's it. It's wonderful to use in food; gives it a hint of smoke.

Try with eggs, tomatoes, meats cooked inside... List goes on and on...

raisin
09-27-2009, 08:58 AM
How much smoke gets added to the baked beans? I would imagine a lot if they are in there for a while.

Not doing anything with the WSM this weekend.

One thing I suggest all to try when using their smoker is making smoked salt. Put a cup of salt on a plate and just leave in the smoker. Stir it a couple of times and that's it. It's wonderful to use in food; gives it a hint of smoke.

Try with eggs, tomatoes, meats cooked inside... List goes on and on...

The beans taste of smoke, but not as much as the meat. Putting the beans under the butt (lol), you get more smoke and spice as the pot collects everything that drips off of the butt. They are the ultimate beans.

Smoked salt is great (roast beef sandwich...) and smoking your own is incredibly cheaper than buying it on the web!:tu

raisin
09-27-2009, 09:04 AM
Another week of football...another pork butt and brisket. So far 8 hours on the butt...10 hours on the brisket.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0037.jpg

Those Texas steers must be not as long as cows in the NE, either that or you trim off the prospective shoe-leather before smoking...

captain53
09-27-2009, 09:31 AM
Man that sounds delicious! I'm a big fan of the burnt ends :dr

Haha yeah that dutch oven has been around the block a few times...makes a nice pot of beans.

Up here in MO burnt ends are a big thing and I have grown to luv them! :tpd:

mosesbotbol
09-29-2009, 04:02 PM
On the Weber Smoky Mountain you can place the bean pot on the bottom shelf and the butts on the top shelf. The pork fat renders into the beans and introduces a richness that is :banger

Awesome idea!

BTW, do you have a bean recipe you care to share?

kgoings
09-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Great pics!

raisin
09-29-2009, 05:57 PM
Awesome idea!

BTW, do you have a bean recipe you care to share?

I always trust Alton Brown's...

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/the-once-and-future-beans-recipe/index.html

T.G
10-07-2009, 09:39 AM
Bah! Post em up T.G!

At the risk of embarrasment in comparason to what you've got going in your pit...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2632/bbqpulledchicken.jpg

Did 15 chicken thighs (about 6.5lbs) for pulled chicken last week.

Steve
10-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Looks great. I can't believe that I missed this one until now. I'm slipping in my old age!

I have 2 levels in my smoker, so if there is room, I puit the beans under the pork butts for a while and let the dripin's season them up.

Have something in your smoker? Let's see some pics!

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0003-3.jpg

tuxpuff
10-07-2009, 12:03 PM
At the risk of embarrasment in comparason to what you've got going in your pit...

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2632/bbqpulledchicken.jpg

Did 15 chicken thighs (about 6.5lbs) for pulled chicken last week.

Dang that looks tasty...thighs are my favorite. Do you have some kind of separator for the coals?

tuxpuff
10-07-2009, 12:04 PM
Looks great. I can't believe that I missed this one until now. I'm slipping in my old age!

I have 2 levels in my smoker, so if there is room, I puit the beans under the pork butts for a while and let the dripin's season them up.

Yeah I also have 2 levels...was just too lazy to pull the rack that time. I need to give that technique a shot next time.

Steve
10-07-2009, 01:17 PM
http://oldchurchbbq.com/sharedpictures/GCA%20BBQ%202008-04-13/GCA%20BBQ%20-%202008-04-13%20005.jpg

tuxpuff
10-07-2009, 01:46 PM
Nice smoker! I wish my two levels were that easy to get at. My only question...why is there not a cigar in your hand? :)

T.G
10-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Dang that looks tasty...thighs are my favorite. Do you have some kind of separator for the coals?

Thanks bro. I was experimenting with cinnamon, sage and ginger in the brine and a garlic, black pepper, chili powder, bell's seasoning & season salt rub and it worked out really well.

I'm using firebricks as seperators - here's a few better photos:

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/6930/firebricks2.jpg
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/8077/firebricks3.jpg

mosesbotbol
10-07-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks bro. I was experimenting with cinnamon, sage and ginger in the brine and a garlic, black pepper, chili powder, bell's seasoning & season salt rub and it worked out really well.

Use the cinamon stick in the fire. Put them on with the meat so it has time to get in. I'll soak the sticks for about minute in water first. Buy the cinamon at an Indian grocery store and they are wicked cheap. You'll be amazed by the fragrant smoke the barrels out from cinamon.

If you are doing pork, you can also throw in a clove or two into the fire but watch out! You're gonna laugh when you see/smell how short and intense the smoke is! :banger

Steve
10-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Nice smoker! I wish my two levels were that easy to get at. My only question...why is there not a cigar in your hand? :)

Actually, it's in the cigar clamp attached to the shelf behind me. Whenever anyone around the church smells a cigar, they immediately ask where I am.

:ss

T.G
10-07-2009, 02:34 PM
Use the cinamon stick in the fire. Put them on with the meat so it has time to get in. I'll soak the sticks for about minute in water first. Buy the cinamon at an Indian grocery store and they are wicked cheap. You'll be amazed by the fragrant smoke the barrels out from cinamon.

If you are doing pork, you can also throw in a clove or two into the fire but watch out! You're gonna laugh when you see/smell how short and intense the smoke is! :banger

Ohhh, I like that idea.

tuxpuff
10-07-2009, 02:34 PM

I'm using firebricks as seperators - here's a few better photos:

Cool...great idea. I'll need to use that for my small grill. :tu

tuxpuff
10-07-2009, 02:36 PM
Actually, it's in the cigar clamp attached to the shelf behind me. Whenever anyone around the church smells a cigar, they immediately ask where I am.

:ss

Pavlov's dog...they smell a cigar and need BBQ? :banger

Steve
10-07-2009, 02:49 PM
Pretty close!

Funny thing is, My sister-in-law (who lives 4 blocks away) manages to show up unanounced within 30 minutes of me firing up the smoker...everytime. I kept accusing my wife of calling her on the phone, but that wasn't the case. Must be a 7th sense :dr :D

T.G
10-07-2009, 03:07 PM

They work surprisingly well as buffers to even out the heat. With them in place, I can load about an entire weber chimney worth of fuel in there, so I'll get about 1/3 of a chimney full of k-briqs going, then dump that in there along with about 1/2 to 2/3 of chimney of unlit briqs plus smoke wood and let the minion method do it's thing - end result: about a 6 hour cook with no adding of fuel necessary.

I have the fire bricked 22OTG going right now with a small pork shoulder in it - it's holding 240F nicely.

Make sure you get firebricks, not red clay or concrete bricks - the latter two can shatter.

LooseCard
10-07-2009, 03:13 PM
Damn.
I'm always seeing other's photos, but never think to take any myself.

One of these days....

Great ideas regarding the beans. Guess I'd have to get a Dutch oven first.... LOL.

Love the food-p*rn guys. Keep up the good work.

(BTW: I'm a Pork Butt guy, mainly.)

Steve
10-07-2009, 03:19 PM

I have an older New Braunfels Black Diamond patio smoker in addition to my tow-behind. I use fire bricks below the cooking grate to help "tune" the cooking chamber temperature. They add thermal mass that helps me maintain temperature longer and uses less fuel. I have also modified the stack height to improve airflow. My wife say's that it's a hold over from racing days of my youth...Hot Rodding the Smoker.

Steve
10-07-2009, 03:23 PM
I'm always up for some BBQ P_m...

http://oldchurchbbq.com/sharedpictures/Jessie's%20Wedding%20Pork/Jessies%20Wedding%20Pork%20020.jpg

http://oldchurchbbq.com/sharedpictures/St.%20Margaret's%20Hoedown%2010-04-06%20005.jpg

tuxpuff
10-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Daaaaaang Steve...you da man!

Mr B
10-07-2009, 04:04 PM
Right On Steve! Thats awesome!

T.G
10-07-2009, 09:04 PM
Just pulled this small (4.5lb) pork shoulder off of the bbq - it's now resting in a warm cooler contemplating the meaning of life for the next 30-45 minutes or so.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/2734/porkshoulder.jpg
(crappy kodak camera doesn't take good photos in low light)

First time I've coated a shoulder with mustard before the rub, not sure if I used too much mustard or if that's how it's supposed to be, but the mustard & rub bark is like frickin' plaster. I think it's a good thing though, since it rendered maybe 1 to 2 TBS of fat into the drip pan for a 6.5-7 hour cook and damn near squirted me when I went to pull the thermometer out.

(keeping fingers crossed)

Steve
10-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Looks great! I bet it tastes even better!

tuxpuff
10-07-2009, 10:33 PM
That's a hella bark there brother! Let us know how it turned out. I've never used mustard before...would love to hear what you think.

T.G
10-07-2009, 10:36 PM
Looks great! I bet it tastes even better!

Thanks. Tastes pretty damn good.

http://img34.imageshack.us/img34/659/pulledpork.jpg

T.G
10-07-2009, 10:57 PM
That's a hella bark there brother! Let us know how it turned out. I've never used mustard before...would love to hear what you think.

It came out really well.

Here's what I did - mind you, this was a first time for me, so I just kind of made it up as I went along.

Last night, I coated the shoulder cut with rub (basically equal parts seasoned salt, granulated garlic and black pepper, and a half-part chili powder) then wrapped it up tightly in saran wrap and put it in the refrigerator.

Right before cooking, I brushed a generous coat of French's yellow mustard over the shoulder right over the top of the rub that I applied last night (all but the fat cap - no reason to coat that), then just loaded the shoulder up with more rub, this time adding an additional half part of coriander, mustard powder (I read that yellow mustard loses it's flavor during a long cook, so that's why I added the mustard powder) and cumin to the rub above. When I say loaded it up, I mean it; I coated that thing, probably used 6 TBS of rub. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but I was aiming for a solid garlic/salt/black pepper crust when this came out of the smoker.

The mustard / rub combo was like clay, which promptly turned to a plaster-like bark in the smoker. No BS, it was over an 1/8 of an inch thick, probably closer to 1/4" in some spots. It really trapped the juices, but it also kept the smoke from penetrating. I smoked with two 1-1/2""x2" chunks of each of the following: hickory, cherry and apple - and they only moderately penetrated the coating. That much smoke wood would have seriously oversmoked that little cut of pork without the mustard coat.

In retrospect, next time I'm going to cut back on the salts in the rub, don't get me wrong, the bark is delicious, but getting a big chunk of it with a forkful of pork is like licking a block of salt. I'm also thinking about using something like a pecan or oak for smoke.

T.G
10-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Right before cooking, I brushed a generous coat of French's yellow mustard over the shoulder right over the top of the rub that I applied last night (all but the fat cap - no reason to coat that), then just loaded the shoulder up with more rub, this time adding an additional half part of coriander, mustard powder (I read that yellow mustard loses it's flavor during a long cook, so that's why I added the mustard powder) and cumin to the rub above. When I say loaded it up, I mean it; I coated that thing, probably used 6 TBS of rub. Not sure if it was the right thing to do or not, but I was aiming for a solid garlic/salt/black pepper crust when this came out of the smoker.

Sorry, that's not really clear - what I mean is that I mixed up more of the rub I described earlier, and this time added the additional ingredients listed to it.

tuxpuff
10-08-2009, 11:18 AM
Looks tasty! That's good info about the smoke penetration in regards to the mustard. I'm personally a big fan of heavy smoke flavor. I can't wait to get the next butt on the smoker...especially since Smokin Gator gifted me with some amazing rubs.

tuxpuff
10-08-2009, 11:20 AM
Oh and not sure if you've seen it Adam...but here was my first attempt at smoked butt...

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19926

T.G
10-08-2009, 01:06 PM
Looks tasty! That's good info about the smoke penetration in regards to the mustard. I'm personally a big fan of heavy smoke flavor. I can't wait to get the next butt on the smoker...especially since Smokin Gator gifted me with some amazing rubs.

I once used the same smoking wood combo - six chunks, two each hickory, cherry and apple before on a shoulder that was about the same size as this one, but no mustard coat, and it was over-smoked, it had that tarry, make your mouth feel like you just sucked on a cotton ball type taste & profile.

This time, with a generous mustard coat and heavy rub coat, that same amount of smoking wood yielded a nice smoked flavor, prominent, but not overbearing.

mosesbotbol
10-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Made this yesterday as a birthday gift to a friend. I started it at 9:00 PM, refilled the charcoal at 5:00 AM and finished the 8 LB Butt around 10:30. The Boston baked beans finished around 11:30 AM with overnight soaked Navy beans. This is my first time cooking beans under the butt and it worked well. There's enough juice and fat to cook the beans uncovered! I trimmed a little off the butt and put in the beans at start. Quite happy with the results with both.

I used Kingsford Competition with about 10 cinamon sticks and about 5 chunks of local applewood.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/mosesbotbol/photo-46.jpg

Steve
10-15-2009, 02:14 PM
:tu:tu

I really like to do my beans under the butt like that. One thing that I didn't mention is that I cut way back on the salt that I use in the beans. I have enough salt in my run that drips off the butt that it makes the beans way too salty if I don't. But I really like the flavor my "butt drippins'" give my beans :ss

Made this yesterday as a birthday gift to a friend. I started it at 9:00 PM, refilled the charcoal at 5:00 AM and finished the 8 LB Butt around 10:30. The Boston baked beans finished around 11:30 AM with overnight soaked Navy beans. This is my first time cooking beans under the butt and it worked well. There's enough juice and fat to cook the beans uncovered! I trimmed a little off the butt and put in the beans at start. Quite happy with the results with both.

I used Kingsford Competition with about 10 cinamon sticks and about 5 chunks of local applewood.

tuxpuff
10-15-2009, 03:50 PM

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/mosesbotbol/photo-46.jpg

Looks amazing! :tu

mosesbotbol
10-15-2009, 04:25 PM
:tu:tu

I really like to do my beans under the butt like that. One thing that I didn't mention is that I cut way back on the salt that I use in the beans. I have enough salt in my run that drips off the butt that it makes the beans way too salty if I don't. But I really like the flavor my "butt drippins'" give my beans :ss

That's what I thought would happen and I did not add any salt to the beans.

Steve
10-16-2009, 06:47 AM
:tu:tu :dr

That's what I thought would happen and I did not add any salt to the beans.

mosesbotbol
10-16-2009, 07:04 AM
I measure out the salt per pound of food and then add spices and herbs before mulling them together. That way, I make sure the food is well seasoned (salt being the most important) and there's no left over's. Generally, I'll do slightly less than half tablespoon of salt per pound, and then about 50% the total salt as the other seasoning.

I started off with pat dry skinned butt with Worcestershire sauce, then dry rub, followed by a mixture of maple syrup, molasses, and distilled vinegar rubbed on last. I'll let the butt air dry either outside on in fridge. Since it was in the 40's, I left the butt in the WSM for 4 hours before starting it up.

I'd like to get a meat injector. I keep breaking them, but never bought a high end one. I'd love to inject a spice/garlic puree around the bone.

T.G
10-17-2009, 06:44 PM
Decided to experiment.

Sweet pie pumpkin, rubbed with brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, a dash of cumin and a dash of chili powder. About half a chimney of fully lit k-briqs + 2 small chunks of mesquite and 3 cinnamon sticks per Moses's recommendation earlier in the thread.

http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/71/smokedpumpkinstart.jpg

I'm guessing it'll take about an hour and a half before I know if this was a good idea or an express lane to culinary hell.

T.G
10-17-2009, 09:00 PM
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/1656/smokedpumpkindone.jpg

Well, not exactly culinary hell, more like culinary purgatory...

Not horrible, but not that good either.

Very smokey flavor, a tad dry (not bad though), not sweet enough. Cumin might have been a mistake too, not sure. Maybe more sugar would have balanced it out.

Need to figure out how to get more sugar to stick to them next time and also I need to use a water pan in the smoker.

Could have also just been a crappy pumpkin - I'm not sure and it's hard to tell.

I'll drizzle some B-Grade maple syrup on one later and see how that tastes.

Roland of Gilead
10-18-2009, 09:32 PM
Not really a smoker, but it works for me, well, until I get a Weber Smokey Mountain.

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/photos/628047561_GN4Hw-L.jpg

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/photos/628040028_rQmZF-L.jpg

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/photos/628305563_uN7Ci-L.jpg

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/photos/631298886_VTkzv-L.jpg

http://m-mason.smugmug.com/photos/628306606_KvCMZ-L.jpg

-Mark.

jquirit
10-19-2009, 12:06 AM
It's what I do and it works well enough. Might require more maintenace than using a WSM but with a bit of care and effort, very good 'que can come outta it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jquirit/August2007BBQ#

mosesbotbol
10-19-2009, 06:12 AM
Decided to experiment.

Sweet pie pumpkin, rubbed with brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, a dash of cumin and a dash of chili powder. About half a chimney of fully lit k-briqs + 2 small chunks of mesquite and 3 cinnamon sticks per Moses's recommendation earlier in the thread.

What did you think of the cinamon smoke?

Maybe you could've wrapped the pumpkin in foil? Sounded like a good idea. Maybe direct grilling would've been better? I have no experience in cooking pumpkin.

T.G
10-19-2009, 09:07 AM
Not really a smoker, but it works for me, well, until I get a Weber Smokey Mountain.

-Mark.

It's what I do and it works well enough. Might require more maintenace than using a WSM but with a bit of care and effort, very good 'que can come outta it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/jquirit/August2007BBQ#

Yup, same thing I'm doing.

LGT about half a dozen photos of the brick arrangement in my 22-1/2 OT spread across the page:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=21946&page=2

There's a few things it's limited on, but for the most part, does a very good job.

T.G
10-19-2009, 09:18 AM
What did you think of the cinamon smoke?

Maybe you could've wrapped the pumpkin in foil? Sounded like a good idea. Maybe direct grilling would've been better? I have no experience in cooking pumpkin.

In this case, I don't honestly know if I could tell what the cinnamon smoke did for the food or not. This was an experimental cook and I'll have to try the cinnamon smoke with something I'm more familiar with and something that doesn't already have cinnamon in the rub.

I've cooked pumpkin before, but only as an indirect grilling w/ mesquite lump charcoal, and that has worked out well.

Yeah, foil is probably necessary for the smoker or a water pan, or both.

I had a few people sample the pumpkin, and everyone seems to have about the same thoughts that it probably wasn't a very good/flavorful pumpkin to start with.

mosesbotbol
10-20-2009, 06:32 AM
The cinamon is going to faint on the meat I think, but I love the smell of the smoke when it is burning. How much does 10 minutes of smoke on a 3 hour cook relate; maybe not much...

I like to take linguica from the store and put it on the smoker when I first start it up. It'll smoke the linguica enough in ten minutes to make it tast special without cooking it. Once the temps get about 150, I'll remove it

mosesbotbol
10-20-2009, 06:35 AM
Last night, I made a 4.85 standing rib roast. I had two ribs and I think was 4-7 rib cut? Stop and Shop had them on sale for $4.99 an lb!

I cooked this in the WSM with nothing in the water pan. I think it is better for chicken and beef without water as it's too hard to get a crust on something that only cooks two hours with a water pan. The roast came out really good. Pulled it off at 125 degrees. I am not expert in choking the heat so much without water. I was worried it may go out, but with beef, it does not have to be in the smoke zone really. The same with chicken too.

Smokin Gator
10-20-2009, 07:43 AM
Last night, I made a 4.85 standing rib roast. I had two ribs and I think was 4-7 rib cut? Stop and Shop had them on sale for $4.99 an lb!

I cooked this in the WSM with nothing in the water pan. I think it is better for chicken and beef without water as it's too hard to get a crust on something that only cooks two hours with a water pan. The roast came out really good. Pulled it off at 125 degrees. I am not expert in choking the heat so much without water. I was worried it may go out, but with beef, it does not have to be in the smoke zone really. The same with chicken too.

MMMMMmmm... beef!!! I love doing prime rib on the smoker. I usually sear them first on a hot grill and them throw then on the smoker.

mosesbotbol
10-20-2009, 05:18 PM
I usually sear them first on a hot grill and them throw then on the smoker.

Do you use a water pan when smoking? If smoked with a dry pan, roasts get perfect crust never saw an advantage to searing first. My one attempt on a previous rib roast with the water pan, the crust never happened. It takes 4+ hours for the bark to form with a water pan.

mosesbotbol
10-20-2009, 05:20 PM
Has anyone smoked a lamb shoulder?

Steve
10-20-2009, 05:32 PM
Do you use a water pan when smoking? If smoked with a dry pan, roasts get perfect crust never saw an advantage to searing first. My one attempt on a previous rib roast with the water pan, the crust never happened. It takes 4+ hours for the bark to form with a water pan.

When I used my old water smoker, I usually pu playground sand in it. Very rarely was any liquid used.

Smokin Gator
10-20-2009, 05:36 PM

I haven't used a water pan for years... Once I thought about the physics of it... you are using a lot of energy to keep that water steaming and it isn't going above 212 or so. The smokers I use are pretty tight so the environment should be plenty moist.

I just like really thick bark. I eat my steaks charred/rare if that gives you any idea:D

mosesbotbol
10-20-2009, 07:51 PM
When I used my old water smoker, I usually pu playground sand in it. Very rarely was any liquid used.

Going to the Cape next weekend and will get a bucket of sand. Been meaning to get some for a while.

I should be able to choke my smoker more without worry.

mosesbotbol
10-20-2009, 07:56 PM
I haven't used a water pan for years... Once I thought about the physics of it... you are using a lot of energy to keep that water steaming and it isn't going above 212 or so. The smokers I use are pretty tight so the environment should be plenty moist.

I just like really thick bark. I eat my steaks charred/rare if that gives you any idea:D

The water pan is acting like a choke on the heat to make it easier to keep it steady. My old offset smoker did not need a water pan at all. The fire was far enough way to keep lit ow, but not as tight as the WSM.

T.G
10-22-2009, 11:19 AM
Scored a 4.61lb 7-bone chuck roast for $5.71 at Safeway the other day...

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/678/chuck7boneroast1002325.jpg
Going into the BBQ.

http://img42.imageshack.us/img42/391/chuck7boneroast1002326.jpg
About 2 to 2-1/2 hours in, just prior to foiling

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/191/chuck7boneroast1002328.jpg
After cooking about another 2 hours in foil

(continued in next post)

T.G
10-22-2009, 11:24 AM
(continuing from previous post due to 5 image limit)

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/1723/chuck7boneroast1002329.jpg
An effortless first tug...

http://img41.imageshack.us/img41/2906/chuck7boneroast1002332.jpg
This roast almost fell apart on it's own.

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/1356/chuck7boneroast1002333.jpg
With a little bit of cheese, some chipotle salsa and ground fresh red jalapenos on a tortilla.

Darrell
10-22-2009, 11:25 AM
That looks good, Adam. :)

Smokin Gator
10-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Chuck roasts are one of my absolute favorite things with which to grace my smoker!! The results are great eaten pulled... but like you did... it makes unreal Mexican style food.

tuxpuff
10-22-2009, 09:04 PM
Very nice Adam! I've got to try one of those!

mosesbotbol
10-24-2009, 09:06 PM
Scored a 4.61lb 7-bone chuck roast for $5.71 at Safeway the other day...

Wow, that looks good. What was your total cooking time? Both unfoiled and foiled?

I've wondered about doing chuck roasts on the smoker instead of the crock pot.

Next on my list is a lamb shoulder. There's a Paki place down the street from me that sells them (and goat) to everyone in Boston. $4.99 a pound.

Has any one done lamb shoulder or goat in the smoker?

T.G
10-24-2009, 10:22 PM
Thanks all.

Wow, that looks good. What was your total cooking time? Both unfoiled and foiled?

I've wondered about doing chuck roasts on the smoker instead of the crock pot.

Next on my list is a lamb shoulder. There's a Paki place down the street from me that sells them (and goat) to everyone in Boston. $4.99 a pound.

Thanks bro.

Cooking time was short - about 2 to 2.5 hours on the grate (until it hit 140 internal), followed by about 2 hours in foil (about 170-180 internal). Ran high heat, so about 300-325 the whole time.

I based it on some concepts in this thread:
http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1780069052/m/8480000745?r=4250080745
plus, about 8 hours before I tossed it on the smoker, I covered it with Worcestershire sauce and one of my rubs and sealed it back up in saran wrap and stuck it back in the refirigerator.

Smokin Gator
10-25-2009, 05:35 AM

I've done both. Well, actually I haven't done lamb because we cook full grown sheep. Goat is really good. The mutton (sheep) has a strong taste to it. Some people don't care for it. Those are the only two meats that I use a mop on. You probably don't have to, but I always do.

Smokin Gator
10-25-2009, 05:39 AM
What was your total cooking time? Both unfoiled and foiled?

A chuckie is the same cut as a pork butt and the times are about the same. I cook at lower temps (220 or so) and figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound. It will hold in a cooler for hours though so you want to give yourself plenty of time.

I cook to 170 internal, then foil until the internal is 195 - 200 and a probe goes in with little resistance.

T.G
10-25-2009, 10:56 AM
A chuckie is the same cut as a pork butt and the times are about the same. I cook at lower temps (220 or so) and figure about 1 1/2 hours per pound. It will hold in a cooler for hours though so you want to give yourself plenty of time.

I cook to 170 internal, then foil until the internal is 195 - 200 and a probe goes in with little resistance.

That would have been my preferred way of cooking it, but I was running short on time, so I gave the high heat cook a try, figuring "What the heck, if it doesn't work, I'm only out less than $6" and it worked. I figured that if I waited for the higher internal tempratures, at the higher cook tempratures, I'd end up with shoe leather.

Something else to note, I don't have a temprature probe at the grate level, I just have a simple aftermarket charbroil thermometer (about $8 at home depot) that I drilled a hole in the lid for and mounted about 2" off the grate surface, under the vent (a bit to the side of the lid hook - and just above it so that when I use the lid hook, I don't catch the thermometer tip). So I don't know exactly how much temprature difference there is from that point to where the meat is sitting.

mosesbotbol
10-25-2009, 11:08 AM

What about the Goat or Lamb Shoulder at 225ish, is it still 1.5 hours a pound or less?

Smokin Gator
10-25-2009, 07:00 PM
What about the Goat or Lamb Shoulder at 225ish, is it still 1.5 hours a pound or less?

Hmm... about the same amount of connective tissue... so I would figure on that. I really think it will be less though. Just remember... if it gets done early make sure it is wrapped tightly in foil and put it in a cooler. Use old towels to take up the extra space and it will hold for hours.

Scothew
10-25-2009, 09:24 PM
It wont overcook itself like that Gator? Im a newb smoker so please forgive my dumbness :)

T.G
10-25-2009, 11:04 PM
Hmm... about the same amount of connective tissue... so I would figure on that. I really think it will be less though. Just remember... if it gets done early make sure it is wrapped tightly in foil and put it in a cooler. Use old towels to take up the extra space and it will hold for hours.

I've never done lamb on the smoker/q but I've done it on the grill and my instinct agrees with you on that it will take less than 1.5 hours/lb.

I'd be guessing if I said by how much less though.

Smokin Gator
10-26-2009, 04:28 AM
It wont overcook itself like that Gator? Im a newb smoker so please forgive my dumbness :)

If you mean being wrapped in foil and put in a cooler... I will say sort of!!! If I am holding it for an hour then I cook to the internal I want and don't worry about it. The juices are redistributing and I think it really helps the meat in the end.

If I am holding for longer than an hour then I will take it to just a little lower internal temp, like 5 degrees, and then put it in the cooler.

mosesbotbol
10-26-2009, 07:03 AM
I've never done lamb on the smoker/q but I've done it on the grill and my instinct agrees with you on that it will take less than 1.5 hours/lb.

I'd be guessing if I said by how much less though.

Cooking lamb on grill and smoker are quite different. Grill is almost twice as hot.

Scothew
10-26-2009, 07:04 AM
Thanks Brent, that totally answers my thoughts.

T.G
10-26-2009, 11:25 AM
Cooking lamb on grill and smoker are quite different. Grill is almost twice as hot.

I know.

Point being was that I'm agreeing with gator.

tuxpuff
10-28-2009, 07:53 AM
Smokin Gator...I finally got around to trying out the rubs you sent...they were EXCELLENT! Great balance of flavor. Here's the damage from this past weekend...

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/img_0704.jpg

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/img_0708.jpg

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/img_0712.jpg

mosesbotbol
10-28-2009, 08:22 AM
Smokin Gator...I finally got around to trying out the rubs you sent...they were EXCELLENT! Great balance of flavor. Here's the damage from this past weekend...

How many people were you feeding?

tuxpuff
10-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Well the butts were on sale so I stocked up. 1 was for the football game (5 people)...one for a birthday party later on in the day...and 1 I just pulled and put into individual serving sized baggies to freeze.

T.G
10-28-2009, 09:46 AM
smokin gator...i finally got around to trying out the rubs you sent...they were excellent! Great balance of flavor. Here's the damage from this past weekend...

<images clipped>

Nice!

Smokin Gator
10-28-2009, 10:09 AM
Dang those look good!!!! Glad you liked the rub.

tuxpuff
11-02-2009, 11:00 AM
More of Smokin Gator's wings...soooooo good!

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/img_0784.jpg

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/img_0785.jpg

mosesbotbol
11-02-2009, 11:26 AM
Cooked a 8.5 lb hotel style turkey yesterday. Did without the water pan and it came out fantastic! Perfect color like Gator's wing picture and so moist.

I am suprised how much of 4 people ate. Barely any leftover's for tonight :-(

This is my first turkey on the WSM and thought practice run before T-day was in order. Ya right, I am just a sucker for turkey and will make as much as I can.

Opusfxd
11-03-2009, 01:01 AM
Did a 6# pork butt and a 4# brisket to take to work for a mid shift go live thing Sunday. It was well received with everyone trying a Carolina Mustard sauce I make and loving it.

mosesbotbol
11-08-2009, 05:17 PM
Did a 6# pork butt and a 4# brisket to take to work for a mid shift go live thing Sunday.

What do the numbers refer to?

Smokin Gator
11-08-2009, 05:45 PM
What do the numbers refer to?

The weight. Six pound pork butt and a four pound brisket.

Smokin Gator
11-08-2009, 05:47 PM
I did nine racks of ribs and a huge pan of Hog Apple beans today for a family get together. I can't wait for the EYH2!!!

Darrell
11-08-2009, 05:49 PM
You must spend an ungodly amount on meat, Brent. :r

Smokin Gator
11-08-2009, 05:50 PM
You must spend an ungodly amount on meat, Brent. :r

Way less than many of you spend on sticks:tu Sam's is my friend.

tuxpuff
12-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Cornish game hens. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0072.jpg

Opusfxd
12-21-2009, 09:53 PM
No pics, but just got done knocking off a batch of moink balls for a pot luck tomorrow.

mosesbotbol
12-22-2009, 04:53 AM
No pics, but just got done knocking off a batch of moink balls for a pot luck tomorrow.

What are those?

mosesbotbol
12-22-2009, 04:54 AM
Cornish game hens. Sorry for the crappy cell phone pic.

http://www.internetarmy.com/cigars/CIMG0072.jpg

Those look like some tasty little yardbirds!

tuxpuff
12-22-2009, 11:23 AM
What are those?

I've never heard of them either...apparently it's moo+oink (cow+pork)...meatballs wrapped in bacon. They sure do look daaaayum good!

http://mybbq.net/forum/userpix/57_a_037_Small_5.jpg

T.G
12-22-2009, 11:35 AM
I've never heard of them either...apparently it's moo+oink (cow+pork)...meatballs wrapped in bacon. They sure do look daaaayum good!

DO WANT! :dr:dr:dr

Adriftpanda
12-22-2009, 12:24 PM

DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN I want this for lunch!

MadAl
12-22-2009, 04:22 PM
In my smoker? SNOW! :mad:

LooseCard
01-04-2010, 12:42 PM
In my smoker? SNOW! :mad:
Here too. :(

Although, I've got a tupper of Pulled Pork in the Freezer that my get thawed this week......

marge796
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM
I tried to do 4 slabs of baby backs this past Saturday and failed miserably. The frigid temps with the high winds killed any attempts I made. I did wrap them in tin foil and finished them in the oven still pretty tastee. Pain in the arse in my neck of the woods this time of the year to smoke meat.

T.G
01-04-2010, 02:10 PM
Between the rain, wierd schedules and being sick, I haven't really done anything on the grill or smoker in a long time. Seems like whenever I had a break and could have done something, it was freaking raining... :sad

mosesbotbol
01-06-2010, 05:19 AM
I tried to do 4 slabs of baby backs this past Saturday and failed miserably. The frigid temps with the high winds killed any attempts I made. I did wrap them in tin foil and finished them in the oven still pretty tastee. Pain in the arse in my neck of the woods this time of the year to smoke meat.

Ah man, that sucks. What kind of smoker are you using? My WSM works in any weather, but my barrel smoker was not as accomodating.

mosesbotbol
01-08-2010, 07:49 AM
Just got 15 lbs of pecan shells from Texas to mix in the the charcoal. Friggin' outstanding! Just an amazing smoke to cook with and I recommend all ya all to pick up some!

kugie
01-08-2010, 07:57 AM

Those look like little bites of heaven that have been dipped in love.:dr:dr

T.G
01-08-2010, 08:14 AM
Just got 15 lbs of pecan shells from Texas to mix in the the charcoal. Friggin' outstanding! Just an amazing smoke to cook with and I recommend all ya all to pick up some!

I've thought about doing that with almond shells, but never really bothered.

mosesbotbol
01-08-2010, 11:36 AM
I've thought about doing that with almond shells, but never really bothered.

Go for it! Not many nuts are easily available in New England for me except for Chestnuts, and even those are usually imported at the supermarket. It took a lot research to find a place that sells pecan shells.

I could see that with MiddleEastern or Indian food perhaps?

I throw in cinamon sticks all the time and that works well.

krevo
01-08-2010, 12:25 PM
I smoked a nice size standing rib roast last night. Heavenly.

Mr B
01-09-2010, 02:57 PM
I got a BIG Pork Shoulder rubbed and loved, just waitin' to go in the smoker. I will probably put it on around 9pm tonight and let it go all night.

I will try to remember to take pics this time.

mmmmmmmmmmmm pulled pork

mosesbotbol
01-10-2010, 07:56 AM
I smoked a 2.5 lb eye roast and half a chicken. It was 20 out and I had the WSM cranked with no water and never got out of smoke range!

Diggin' those pecan shells. Next time I want to soak the shells and see how it is different.

mosesbotbol
01-10-2010, 07:58 AM
Has anyone ever burned acorns in their smoker? Acorns are used in Spain for roasting.

T.G
01-10-2010, 08:25 AM
Wouldn't oak chunks just be simpler?

mosesbotbol
01-11-2010, 05:28 AM
Wouldn't oak chunks just be simpler?

Totally different smoke even though from the same plant. Does an apple taste like applewood? The charcoal I use is mostly oak and has little taste (Kingsford Competition). Also, oak means different things to different people. An oak tree in TX looks nothing like an oak tree in MA and the smoke is much different between the two oaks as well. Use the oak up here, and your food will taste like a fire pit. Oak in TX is much more mild tasting.

I went looking for acorns yesterday but there was too much snow on the ground and my dog was giving me "it's cold out" eyes.

Mr B
01-11-2010, 12:25 PM
12 hours after the Rub of Love
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df30b3127ccef94286a7033e00000030O01AaM2TVm1ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

In the Pot ya go...
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df30b3127ccef9421b3f437000000030O01AaM2TVm1ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

12 hours over Apple / Alder / Hickory, Internal temp of 189*
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df30b3127ccef942ddde43f200000030O01AaM2TVm1ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

mmmmmmmmmm pork
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df30b3127ccef9430e30a29100000030O01AaM2TVm1ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Ready for sauce!
http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0df30b3127ccef943cae3231000000030O01AaM2TVm1ZsQ e3nwo/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D720/ry%3D480/

Smokin Gator
01-11-2010, 03:18 PM
^^^^ Looks dang good!!!

tuxpuff
01-12-2010, 02:27 PM
mmmmm pork. Great looking bark there!

mosesbotbol
01-14-2010, 04:54 AM
Anyone cold smoking this winter? I cold smoke Linguica for like 30 minutes before air drying in my fridge. Would like to cold smoke some cheese and smoked salt is a must have!.

wayner123
01-17-2010, 02:52 PM
I had the BBQ bug last week and put these on the smoker:

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/wayner1234/Cigars/IMG_5861.jpg

Pulled them off at 197F, foiled them, and an hour later....

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i133/wayner1234/Cigars/IMG_5870.jpg

Mr B
01-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Very Nice!

tuxpuff
02-02-2010, 06:59 AM
mmmmmm pork! Look great!

pmwz
02-07-2010, 04:24 AM
drumsticks for breakfast + trying my first pulled pork for the superbowl.

TheRiddick
02-07-2010, 11:26 AM
Anyone cold smoking this winter? I cold smoke Linguica for like 30 minutes before air drying in my fridge. Would like to cold smoke some cheese and smoked salt is a must have!.

Moses, one of the reasons I bought an electric unit with great insulation, any weather is no bother and it does the job no matter what.

Regarding you oak comments above, TX and MA samples, one thing to look for is weather, the colder the weather the denser the wood, even for same species of oak, which the two are (same). Main reason "French" barrels are preferred for aging wine is the density of wood (less air transmission and oak taste that is different as well), which is denser in Europe than it is here. Historically, French used to buy all their oak in Eastern Europe (Carpatian Mountains) for a reason, it is denser than it is in the woods of France (warmer climate). WWII stopped that, of course.

As you noted, one should see oak difference between TX and MA. But then one reason Bourbon tastes like it does is the use of warmer climate oak for barrels and there are more wineries now using it as well. Spain and Oz have been for some time now.

marge796
02-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Doing 5 flat iron steaks on the old smoker for the big game. Only one problem though, it's damn cold and it just started to snow.

:(

Chris.....

mosesbotbol
02-12-2010, 03:08 AM
We cooked up some horse sausage and chicken drummies over hardwood charcoal from the local forrest. The chicken was seasoned with thyme, rosemary and lavender from the garden.

This style of BBQ uses a lot of wood! Yikes. Far cry from using a Webber.

Getting the wood ready for charcoal:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/mosesbotbol/DSCN3526.jpg

Close up of food:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/mosesbotbol/DSCN3527.jpg

As it cooks:
http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh39/mosesbotbol/DSCN3529.jpg

htown
02-12-2010, 03:55 AM
What is horse sausage?

tuxpuff
02-12-2010, 09:29 AM
What is horse sausage?

:tpd:

T.G
02-12-2010, 10:16 AM
What is horse sausage?

:tpd:

Willlllllbur......

mosesbotbol
02-12-2010, 10:23 AM
What is horse sausage?

Exactly that... A sausage made from horse meat. Actually, it is horse meat blended with pork as there's not enough fat on horse by itself. In Switzerland, they are horse crazy.

tuxpuff
02-12-2010, 10:35 AM
I hope it was from a horse that died of natural causes...not harvested for meat.

mosesbotbol
02-12-2010, 10:45 AM
I hope it was from a horse that died of natural causes...not harvested for meat.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think they are "cattle" -(P

T.G
02-12-2010, 10:50 AM

Why would you want that?

Old, tough, stringy, possibly diseased meat?

There's a reason the animal died naturally after all.

Would you eat a cow that died of natural causes? Or a chicken? blech... Assuming that the USDA would even let you, which they won't AFAIK.

tuxpuff
02-12-2010, 10:53 AM
Cook what you want...but I find that to be very disturbing. The horse is a highly intelligent animal with a very respected history in America.

tuxpuff
02-12-2010, 10:57 AM
Why would you want that?

Would you eat a cow that died of natural causes? Or a chicken? blech... Assuming that the USDA would even let you, which they won't AFAIK.

I wouldn't want it. Since all American horse meat slaughter houses are closed, most horses are now processed in Mexico under inhumane conditions.

T.G
02-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Cook what you want...but I find that to be very disturbing. The horse is a highly intelligent animal with a very respected history in America.

Pigs are considered to be highly intelligent animals also.

They just happen to be made out of bacon, so they're basically ****ed.

Cow is considered sacred in some countries and religions, and, as such, they are never slaughtered or eaten. Do you think that fact even enters the mind of most Americans when they pick up a pack of ribeye steaks at the market?

Different cultures bro. Doesn't make any difference to me if they want to raise horses for food. Heck, I'd be willing to try it out of culinary curiosity if I'm ever in Switzerland. I can't say if I'd make a habit of it or not though.

tuxpuff
02-12-2010, 11:11 AM
Pigs are considered to be highly intelligent animals also.

They just happen to be made out of bacon, so they're basically ****ed.

Cow is considered sacred in some countries and religions and as such, they are never slaughtered or eaten. Do you think that fact even enters the mind of most Americans when they pick up a pack of ribeye steaks at the market?

Different cultures bro. Doesn't make any difference to me if they want to raise horses for food. Heck, I'd be willing to try it out of culinary curiosity if I'm ever in Switzerland. I can't say if I'd make a habit of it or not though.

I hear ya brother...and agree with you. I just feel horse meat should not be an option.

T.G
02-12-2010, 11:14 AM

Why would you want that?

I wouldn't want it. Since all American horse meat slaughter houses are closed, most horses are now processed in Mexico under inhumane conditions.

Precisely. You wouldn't eat an animal that died naturally, so why would you expect the Swiss to feel any different about their meats?

-----------
Addendum:

No need to answer bro (besides the fact it was a retorical question) , looks like we were both posting at the same time.

tuxpuff
02-12-2010, 11:20 AM
That was in regards to horse meat specifically because of the inhumane treatment and slaughter. No I wouldn't eat a cow, chicken, or pig that dies naturally either...but that is not relevant to my opposition of horse meat.

T.G
02-12-2010, 11:22 AM
I hear ya brother...and agree with you. I just feel horse meat should not be an option.

Hey, no arguments there bro. If you don't feel that horsemeat shouldn't be eaten, that's cool. That's your opinion.

I'm not so much advocating that horses should be eaten (or not), I'm simply speaking to the "different strokes for different cultures" tolerance but more importantly, the fact that if they are going to eat it, that there's no reason it should be not be able to be processed with the same health & agriculture code standards as other meats.

tuxpuff
02-12-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey, no arguments there bro. If you don't feel that horsemeat shouldn't be eaten, that's cool. That's your opinion.

I'm not so much advocating that horses should be eaten (or not), I'm simply speaking to the "different strokes for different cultures" tolerance but more importantly, the fact that if they are going to eat it, that there's no reason it should be not be able to be processed with the same health & agriculture code standards as other meats.

That is one of the issues...because there are no longer facilities in the US they are purchased here by Mexican companies...taken across the border...and treated horribly. There is a pretty big push for legislation to ban the export.

T.G
02-12-2010, 11:27 AM
That was in regards to horse meat specifically because of the inhumane treatment and slaughter. No I wouldn't eat a cow, chicken, or pig that dies naturally either...but that is not relevant to my opposition of horse meat.

I don't know for certain what the level of sanitation or "humane treatment" in Swiss slaughterhouses is, but I would suspect it's probably on par with the US.

I'll agree that Mexican slaughterhouse procedures can be kind of sketchy depending on the facility. Honestly, I didn't even know that Mexico processed horsemeat for human consumption until you mentioned it.

mosesbotbol
02-12-2010, 12:29 PM
Most or all the horse meat in Europe comes from Canada from what I understand. Every major supermarket has horse products if not filets and sirloins. The filet by far is the best horse cut. Every regular restaurant has horse on the menu. Horse dried sausage is really popular. Like a bigger slim jim yet worlds apart. Horse is also dried like and sliced thin like jamon- uttlerly amazing. All the processed horse is done with smoke. Very lean, but delicate.

As for the moralty part; the horse is as regarded in Switzerland.

TheRiddick
02-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Horse meat is what Napolean's army subsisted on while escaping Russia in 1812.

Anyway... Moses, just one stupid question on the picture you provided. I see that a SmokeShack unit is being used, or rather mis-used (or one of its copies), and the question is, Why? As in why was it disassembled and used as a grill now (I just don't agree the meat is being smoked in such a way, it is simply cooked with some residual smoke, as opposed to smoke being the primary flavor enhancer in a closed off smoker).

mosesbotbol
02-12-2010, 02:19 PM
Horse meat is what Napolean's army subsisted on while escaping Russia in 1812.

Anyway... Moses, just one stupid question on the picture you provided. I see that a SmokeShack unit is being used, or rather mis-used (or one of its copies), and the question is, Why? As in why was it disassembled and used as a grill now (I just don't agree the meat is being smoked in such a way, it is simply cooked with some residual smoke, as opposed to smoke being the primary flavor enhancer in a closed off smoker).

We were using a direct flame over the food, not really smoking. The aluminium tray was for ease. This was my first time cooking on such a grill. There are several ways you could use this set up and everyone has a similar grill in Switzerland. The grate sliders are built in the grill.

The method to start the grill is also traditional Swiss. You'll go through a lot of wood using it this way. One bushel of wood cooks one meal!

Smokin Gator
02-12-2010, 03:59 PM
Horse is the only thing we raised or caught on our farm that I haven't eaten. Well, I have eaten horse nuts after we gelded them... but that isn't the whole animal. When one died we would call one of the greyhound kennels and they would feed it to the dogs. I certainly have no problem with anyone eating one and I would without hesitation. It's just animal protein.

BigAsh
02-12-2010, 04:09 PM
Horse is the only thing we raised or caught on our farm that I haven't eaten. Well, I have eaten horse nuts after we gelded them... but that isn't the whole animal. When one died we would call one of the greyhound kennels and they would feed it to the dogs. I certainly have no problem with anyone eating one and I would without hesitation. It's just animal protein.

:eek:.....smoked?....I'm thinkin' some apple wood...take 'em to 190 or so....so they get real tender....then a chipotle-peach glaze to finish 'em off....:r

Smokin Gator
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
:eek:.....smoked?....

Well DUH!!! I'd thing 190 might be a little too high depending on the fat content. I'm thinking more like venison. Do it in TK's Dr Pepper marinade, wrap in bacon, and take it to about 140:banger ;)

To each his own though!!

Mr B
02-12-2010, 05:47 PM
Well my 11 year old barrell style electric smoker finally died last weekend :( I got an Orignal Bradley Electric for christmas but have not used it yet. I cleaned and seasoned it a few weeks back and will Christen it this weekend w/ some Beef Ribs. the Bradley is a neat concept but I think I might find myself getting another Barrell electric too. I know mine so well.
What i'm gonna miss is the 11 years of yummy smoke resin built up on the inside of Ol Faithfull. she will be missed.

TheRiddick
02-12-2010, 07:29 PM
We were using a direct flame over the food, not really smoking. The aluminium tray was for ease. This was my first time cooking on such a grill. There are several ways you could use this set up and everyone has a similar grill in Switzerland. The grate sliders are built in the grill.

The method to start the grill is also traditional Swiss. You'll go through a lot of wood using it this way. One bushel of wood cooks one meal!

It looks like a semi-assembled CookShack, wow. How long does it take to grill a nice one inch thick T-bone steak, let's say, on this thing?

Chainsaw13
02-12-2010, 07:56 PM
Well my 11 year old barrell style electric smoker finally died last weekend :( I got an Orignal Bradley Electric for christmas but have not used it yet. I cleaned and seasoned it a few weeks back and will Christen it this weekend w/ some Beef Ribs. the Bradley is a neat concept but I think I might find myself getting another Barrell electric too. I know mine so well.
What i'm gonna miss is the 11 years of yummy smoke resin built up on the inside of Ol Faithfull. she will be missed.

I've had my Bradley for about two years now. Turned out some pretty good food. I've made all sorts of stuff, ribs, whole chickens, sausages, bacon, etc. If you haven't already, check out the Bradley forums for great recipes and such. Best place for the wood pucks is Amazon. Not sure if they still are running it, but you used to be able to get 4 boxes for the price of 3.

T.G
02-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Well my 11 year old barrell style electric smoker finally died last weekend :(

You mean not even Graingers or McMaster-Carr has the parts to repair it?

mosesbotbol
02-13-2010, 01:26 AM
Well DUH!!! I'd thing 190 might be a little too high depending on the fat content. I'm thinking more like venison. Do it in TK's Dr Pepper marinade, wrap in bacon, and take it to about 140:banger ;)

To each his own though!!

Traditional smoking at 225 is not going to work with horse. There's not enough fat on it. We ate some thin sliced filets raw. ;s Perhaps the front shoulder is tough enough to do, but that must be a friggin huge piece!

Horse is best as a filet or entrecote up to medium rare; often with a sauce on top (this is Europe).

mosesbotbol
02-13-2010, 01:29 AM
It looks like a semi-assembled CookShack, wow. How long does it take to grill a nice one inch thick T-bone steak, let's say, on this thing?

It depends at what point you put the meat on. If you just broke the logs down into charcoal and the meat is 1.5" from coals, it will cook in 10 minutes. Once the charcoal is "made", it's the same as a habachi or webber.

Mr B
02-16-2010, 11:39 AM
I've had my Bradley for about two years now. Turned out some pretty good food. I've made all sorts of stuff, ribs, whole chickens, sausages, bacon, etc. If you haven't already, check out the Bradley forums for great recipes and such. Best place for the wood pucks is Amazon. Not sure if they still are running it, but you used to be able to get 4 boxes for the price of 3.

I got my Bradley, cover and pucks on Amazon:tu They had some great sales over Christmas time.
I used it this weekend. I ran the smoke for 4 of the 5 hours on my Pork Ribs (Apple, Alder and Hickory) I will run less smoke next time. A little overpowering. I miss using my Soaked Wood Chips though. Ribs came out great otherwise.

Mr B
02-16-2010, 11:42 AM
Greg, I callibrated my Thermomoter this weekend and found out it was running about 5-10 degrees cold. So I was actually smoking at almost 200 not 190. So thats why the Pork Shoulder was cooking a little faster (12 hrs)

Mr B
02-16-2010, 11:45 AM
You mean not even Graingers or McMaster-Carr has the parts to repair it?

Not only did the adjustable temp reostat go out (melted 2 extension cords :td) But the entire bottom of the smoker has basically rusted away and there is about a 9 inch diameter hole in the bottom where I put the wood chips. I have been using a flattened aluminum pie pan to cover it for the last year. This puppy had some miles on it.

T.G
02-16-2010, 12:08 PM
Not only did the adjustable temp reostat go out (melted 2 extension cords :td) But the entire bottom of the smoker has basically rusted away and there is about a 9 inch diameter hole in the bottom where I put the wood chips. I have been using a flattened aluminum pie pan to cover it for the last year. This puppy had some miles on it.

I can see where the hole in the bottom of the smoker would be a bit difficut for Grainger/McMaster-Carr to help with...

Chainsaw13
02-16-2010, 03:02 PM
I got my Bradley, cover and pucks on Amazon:tu They had some great sales over Christmas time.
I used it this weekend. I ran the smoke for 4 of the 5 hours on my Pork Ribs (Apple, Alder and Hickory) I will run less smoke next time. A little overpowering. I miss using my Soaked Wood Chips though. Ribs came out great otherwise.

Yea, I only apply smoke for about 2 hours for ribs, 2.5 for bacon and 3 or so for pork butts/briskets. The rest of the time is just hanging out in the Bradley.

TheRiddick
02-16-2010, 03:54 PM

Geez, how many pucks did it take? The reason I nixed Bradly when I was shopping and researching electric smokers was their high cost of "upkeep". I settled on CookShack (SmokeShack is a Chinese knock off with same price tag).

How much are the pucks and how many do you need for "4 hours"?

Mr B
02-16-2010, 05:40 PM
Geez, how many pucks did it take? The reason I nixed Bradly when I was shopping and researching electric smokers was their high cost of "upkeep". I settled on CookShack (SmokeShack is a Chinese knock off with same price tag).

How much are the pucks and how many do you need for "4 hours"?

Being it was my first time using the Bradley, I now know to use less smoke.
The Bradley takes 3 pucks per hour.
1 box of 48 pucks runs about $15-$17. Its really not that expensive about $1 per hour.

I will probably run the smoke for 2-2.5 hrs on the next ribs.

TheRiddick
02-16-2010, 06:07 PM
Hmmm... From the research on electric smokers, you only need a very small amount of wood to get great results. I only use 2-3 ounces of chips, if that, to smoke 2 pork butts (and less wood if I smoke something smaller). I'd try running enough pucks for 1 hour's worth of smoke, should be plenty, IMO. Smoking itslef takes place rather early, you then cook through for the remainder of the time?

I've done cold smoking in mine and it really takes about 30 minutes and this with a special plate sitting between the smoking element and food (only allowing smoke through for the most part). So, smoking itslef does not take much time.

Mr B
02-16-2010, 06:18 PM
Hmmm... From the research on electric smokers, you only need a very small amount of wood to get great results. I only use 2-3 ounces of chips, if that, to smoke 2 pork butts (and less wood if I smoke something smaller). I'd try running enough pucks for 1 hour's worth of smoke, should be plenty, IMO. Smoking itslef takes place rather early, you then cook through for the remainder of the time?

I've done cold smoking in mine and it really takes about 30 minutes and this with a special plate sitting between the smoking element and food (only allowing smoke through for the most part). So, smoking itslef does not take much time.

Wow, I would'nt even think about using that little wood chips. I use at least 4-6 cups of soaked chips for 4 hours of smoke per pork shoulder in my old Barell smoker.

TheRiddick
02-16-2010, 07:08 PM
I use chunks, split up. No water soaking at all. We're talking electric versus barrel smokers. I am sure I'd be using more wood in a barrel smoker. We're talking a two-box barrel smoker, right?

wayner123
02-17-2010, 12:12 PM

That is a highly debated question. IME, the more clean smoke the better. There are world champions that do long smokes and some that do short smokes but not so clean. The argument goes "after 3 hours the meat has taken all the smoke it is going to take and after that you should foil to not mess up the look of the meat". YMMV.

I have no experience with electric smokers, but 2-3oz of chips is tiny compared to the amount of smoke I use in my offset. I use at least 10lbs of wood.

Smokin Gator
02-17-2010, 01:11 PM
That is a highly debated question. IME, the more clean smoke the better. There are world champions that do long smokes and some that do short smokes but not so clean. The argument goes "after 3 hours the meat has taken all the smoke it is going to take and after that you should foil to not mess up the look of the meat". YMMV.

I have no experience with electric smokers, but 2-3oz of chips is tiny compared to the amount of smoke I use in my offset. I use at least 10lbs of wood.

That is absolutely the truth. One of the guys I compete against regularly is four time Memphis in May whole hog champion Myron Mixon. Myron uses green, and I mean just cut down green, peach wood. When he fires his smoker up it is belching so much smoke it is unreal. However, he cooks at high temps and the smoke is clean by the time he puts the meat on.

As for smoke absorption, I feel like the meat generally stops taking more smoke at around 130-140 degrees. I usually go to 170 or so on butts and briskets to get the bark like I want it, but I don't think it gets any more past the 130-140 internal mark.

What I think a lot of people confused with too much smoke is actual the creosote that is deposited on meat that has been exposed to smoke that is not clean. I really don't think it makes any difference how much smoke you put to the meat as long as it is clean. White/grey smoke is dirty and will give you that off taste. All IMO only!!!

Steve
02-17-2010, 02:06 PM
That is absolutely the truth. One of the guys I compete against regularly is four time Memphis in May whole hog champion Myron Mixon. Myron uses green, and I mean just cut down green, peach wood. When he fires his smoker up it is belching so much smoke it is unreal. However, he cooks at high temps and the smoke is clean by the time he puts the meat on.

As for smoke absorption, I feel like the meat generally stops taking more smoke at around 130-140 degrees. I usually go to 170 or so on butts and briskets to get the bark like I want it, but I don't think it gets any more past the 130-140 internal mark.

What I think a lot of people confused with too much smoke is actual the creosote that is deposited on meat that has been exposed to smoke that is not clean. I really don't think it makes any difference how much smoke you put to the meat as long as it is clean. White/grey smoke is dirty and will give you that off taste. All IMO only!!!

Amen my Brother in Smoke!

TheRiddick
02-17-2010, 02:32 PM

I think we're saying same thing? Simply that there is a point at which meat will not get any more "benefit". With the electric I use, even that small amount of wood gives enough smoke for about 2+ hours, at the least, at the lower temps (I use 180-190). For cold smoke, just a tiny bit and enough to get the smoke going (once you see the smoke coming out, you turn the thermo off after 20 minutes, you're done). More wood gives too much smoke flavor and I can attest to that.

As for the "cleanliness" of the smoke, or more specifically, color of it, I thought color mostly depends on the amount of (remaining) water in the wood? "Greener" wood leads to darker smoke?

T.G
02-17-2010, 04:34 PM
As for the "cleanliness" of the smoke, or more specifically, color of it, I thought color mostly depends on the amount of (remaining) water in the wood? "Greener" wood leads to darker smoke?

That's part of it, but mostly it's a function of the completeness of the combustion plus the sap burning. Green wood = doesn't burn well for various reasons = incomplete combustion + sap burnoff = darker smoke.

I can take very well seasoned wood and create dark smoke by choking the combustion.

In an electric smoker, you can get a dark and/or heavy smoke because the wood smoulders rather than burns. Smouldering being an incomplete combustion, and as stated previously there are factors that can make it worse.

Unfortuantely, dark is kind of ambiguious.

Mr B
02-17-2010, 05:12 PM
I use chunks, split up. No water soaking at all. We're talking electric versus barrel smokers. I am sure I'd be using more wood in a barrel smoker. We're talking a two-box barrel smoker, right?

My Barell smoker (top loader) is electric with a temp controled reostat dial. Not charcoal or gas.

TheRiddick
02-17-2010, 05:51 PM
In an electric smoker, you can get a dark and/or heavy smoke...

Very, very pale, not even gray. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure it is working...

Mr B
02-17-2010, 06:11 PM
We're talking a two-box barrel smoker, right?

Mine is the upright Barell, top loader, 2 racks-one on top of the other with a water/drip pan below the racks and the Electric heat element below the water/drip pan.

T.G
02-17-2010, 06:22 PM
In an electric smoker, you can get a dark and/or heavy smoke because the wood smoulders rather than burns. Smouldering being an incomplete combustion, and as stated previously there are factors that can make it worse.

Very, very pale, not even gray. Sometimes I have to double check to make sure it is working...

IMO, that's excellent.

Every brand of electric smoker is different. Some smolder the wood, others burn it off nicely. Hence why I said "can" and not "will", some are terrible, some are great.

I seem to recall that you have a commercial/food service grade electric smoker, no?

TheRiddick
02-17-2010, 06:55 PM
I seem to recall that you have a commercial/food service grade electric smoker, no?

I've seen my model used in restaurants.

mosesbotbol
02-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Wow, I would'nt even think about using that little wood chips. I use at least 4-6 cups of soaked chips for 4 hours of smoke per pork shoulder in my old Barell smoker.

You can't compare a barrell smoker's wood demands to an electric.

Mr B
02-18-2010, 04:41 PM
Perhaps I used the wrong term when saying Barrel smoker. It is not the side by side hinged lid smoker. The description is below as I previously posted. Many refer to them as an Electric H2O smoker.
And yes, I do use more than a few oz of chips in my Electric Smoker. Cant imagine using less than 4 or more cups for 3-4 hrs of smoke.

My Barell smoker (top loader) is electric with a temp controled reostat dial. Not charcoal or gas.

Mine is the upright Barell, top loader, 2 racks-one on top of the other with a water/drip pan below the racks and the Electric heat element below the water/drip pan.

You can't compare a barrell smoker's wood demands to an electric.

LooseCard
02-18-2010, 05:26 PM
Perhaps I used the wrong term when saying Barrel smoker. It is not the side by side hinged lid smoker. The description is below as I previously posted. Many refer to them as an Electric H2O smoker.
And yes, I do use more than a few oz of chips in my Electric Smoker. Cant imagine using less than 4 or more cups for 3-4 hrs of smoke.

We also call them "Capsule" shaped as well. But you're explaining it fine for me.
I have a charcoal-driven Weber, tend to smoke cooler than most (taking a lot longer).

I understand science, and use that for my understanding. The smoke penetrates - and continues to penetrate - until the meat is too cooked to allow more to penetrate.

kydsid
02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Well I am a complete newb to smoking but just got a new smoker (pics in another thread) and will be starting off with a pork butt tomorrow.

Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

BTW after reading this thread and many others it looks like fruit woods, hickory, mesquite etc. are rare and hard to come by for most. Well I know for me down here in Texas it isn't that hard. We have all kinds. So if any BOTL out there would like some apple, appricot or whatnot and are willing to pay cost and shipping just let me know and I will go look to see what is available. :tu

As an FYI for that I recently purchased 1lb of apple chip for $4 at the store.

mosesbotbol
02-19-2010, 09:47 AM
TX is for sure the center of smoking woods in USA.

tuxpuff
02-19-2010, 10:22 AM
Well I am a complete newb to smoking but just got a new smoker (pics in another thread) and will be starting off with a pork butt tomorrow.

Any tips and tricks are appreciated.

BTW after reading this thread and many others it looks like fruit woods, hickory, mesquite etc. are rare and hard to come by for most. Well I know for me down here in Texas it isn't that hard. We have all kinds. So if any BOTL out there would like some apple, appricot or whatnot and are willing to pay cost and shipping just let me know and I will go look to see what is available. :tu

As an FYI for that I recently purchased 1lb of apple chip for $4 at the store.

Here was my first pork butt thread...may help you out.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19926

One bit of advice...do not move the pork butt around at all. You do not want to damage the bottom bark which holds the juices in or the butt will dry out.

kydsid
02-20-2010, 03:00 PM
Thanks Tux and Steve for the tips.

I was up at 6am this morning to start the smoker and put the butt down. :D

Also smoking some sausage that just came off for a snack since the butt won't be done for another 25 degrees. And of course some homemade beans under the main course.

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9355/02202010898.jpg
By null (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/null), shot with N95 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=N95&make=Nokia) at 2010-02-20

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/8296/02202010899.jpg
By null (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/null), shot with N95 (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=N95&make=Nokia) at 2010-02-20

Steve
02-20-2010, 03:20 PM
Looks good!

I cook my beans under my butts to catch the flavorful drippings as well, but be carefull if you have much salt in the rub you are using. I had some really salty beans once!

tuxpuff
02-20-2010, 03:35 PM
looking good!
Posted via Mobile Device

kydsid
02-20-2010, 03:40 PM
Steve thanks for the advice. My Dad has had heart disease since I was 12 and I cannot really stand much salt in my diet as a result of having very little in my diet since that time. So my rub that I just threw together on a whim has about a teaspoon of sea salt. Should be good I hope.

PS. A Sausage samich on italian hogie with bbq sauce goes nicely with an Anejo. :ss

Steve
02-20-2010, 03:48 PM
:tu

kydsid
02-20-2010, 05:06 PM
Question: How much fuel is normal on a 11-12 hour smoke?

I will be at about 15lbs charcoal, 6-8lbs of mesquite for smoke this morning by the time I am done.

Smokin Gator
02-20-2010, 06:33 PM
That is an impossible to answer question... as every smoker is different.

Question: How much fuel is normal on a 11-12 hour smoke?

I will be at about 15lbs charcoal, 6-8lbs of mesquite for smoke this morning by the time I am done.

kydsid
02-20-2010, 07:11 PM
Okay well 13.5 hours later I have pulled the pork butt and it is resting. The beans taste marvelous but next time I need more water. There are some beans that are a little tough despite the 14 hour soak last night I gave them.

Nevertheless I am ready for the next one. Went to the store and came back with Pecan, Apple, Cherry and Oak chips, 30lbs of mesquite and hickory lump charcoal and 4 inch by 6 inch mesquite rounds and some chips from a friend will be here tomorrow.. :tu

Smokin Gator, wouldn't be interested in a trade of some wood chips for some of those rubs I have read about on here would ya?? :)

wayner123
02-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Okay well 13.5 hours later I have pulled the pork butt and it is resting. The beans taste marvelous but next time I need more water. There are some beans that are a little tough despite the 14 hour soak last night I gave them.

Nevertheless I am ready for the next one. Went to the store and came back with Pecan, Apple, Cherry and Oak chips, 30lbs of mesquite and hickory lump charcoal and 4 inch by 6 inch mesquite rounds and some chips from a friend will be here tomorrow.. :tu

Smokin Gator, wouldn't be interested in a trade of some wood chips for some of those rubs I have read about on here would ya?? :)

How do you intend to use the chips in an offset smoker? I have a Brinkmann SnP and I have tried using chips before and noticed no difference.

kydsid
02-22-2010, 07:57 AM
I'm new to this I don't know if they will provide any difference. But here they are cheap and readily available so worth experimenting. The pork butt was smoked with mesquite and apple. To me there is some difference as compared to the local bbq joints. Might be I used more or less smoke them they do I don't know. Only way to find out is keep smoking. :D

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Use canned beans if doing baked beans under the butt. You'll be able to knock out some of the hours too. Just pull them when they are to your liking. Even 8+ hours on canned beans at those low temps works.

You'll find most BBQ joints are lighter on the smoke than most BBQ fans want, but you have to make something that pleases the most, so they go light.

wayner123
02-22-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm new to this I don't know if they will provide any difference. But here they are cheap and readily available so worth experimenting. The pork butt was smoked with mesquite and apple. To me there is some difference as compared to the local bbq joints. Might be I used more or less smoke them they do I don't know. Only way to find out is keep smoking. :D

Well the only way I could think of to use the chips is to make a foil bomb out of them. Otherwise they get totally lost in the fire. But even then the foil bomb did not seem to produce the amount of smoke I like. Then again I am mainly a stick burner in my offset.

kydsid
02-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Well the only way I could think of to use the chips is to make a foil bomb out of them. Otherwise they get totally lost in the fire. But even then the foil bomb did not seem to produce the amount of smoke I like. Then again I am mainly a stick burner in my offset.

Oh I think I gotcha. I followed the directions on the package which said to soak for 20-30 min in water. They produced a nice smoke. I can see if they were dry and put on the coals they would just go up in flames.

wayner123
02-22-2010, 09:46 AM
Oh I think I gotcha. I followed the directions on the package which said to soak for 20-30 min in water. They produced a nice smoke. I can see if they were dry and put on the coals they would just go up in flames.

Well.... that's a whole other discussion. Many people have many different views on soaking.

Soaking chips, wood, etc does not produce more smoke IME. It does produce steam though. However, I am by no means a pitmaster.

If you want more smoke flavor, I would use chunks or since you have an offset use 8-10" sticks. If you need some links to get chunks/wood let me know.

T.G
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM

Right. But the problem with chips on natural fuel (lump charcoal, briquette, wood) BBQ's is that, unless you have a very small cooker, they don't smoke for very long before they burn up, even in a foil bomb. In my experience, chips work better in eclectics and gas (propane) fired BBQs, depending on the design of the unit, either open tray, foil bomb, or in a cast iron smoker box, or even a cast iron pan directly over a burner if the grill is big enough.

Chunk tends to work better in natural fuel cookers, giving you a much longer smoke time, in my experience.

YMMV.

Steve
02-22-2010, 09:52 AM
I am also a stick burner with my Lang, but I have a smaller offset that I use occasionally. If I wanted to use wood chips, I would use lump charcoal in the fire box (possibly a natural brickett like Kingsfors) and then scatter the chips on the coals periodically. THe other option would be to get a cast iron wood chip box, place the chips in that and set the box on the coals.

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 09:56 AM
You have to use chunks in the smoker, not chips. Use chips if you want smoke when you are grilling.

T.G
02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Well.... that's a whole other discussion. Many people have many different views on soaking.

Soaking chips, wood, etc does not produce more smoke IME. It does produce steam though. However, I am by no means a pitmaster.

*chuckle*

I had actually made similar comments in my post, but decided to delete them rather than open up that debate.

kydsid
02-22-2010, 10:05 AM
I am also a stick burner with my Lang, but I have a smaller offset that I use occasionally. If I wanted to use wood chips, I would use lump charcoal in the fire box (possibly a natural brickett like Kingsfors) and then scatter the chips on the coals periodically. THe other option would be to get a cast iron wood chip box, place the chips in that and set the box on the coals.

That is exactly what I did. I was using natural lump mesquite. Seemed that the soaked chips did what they were supposed to. Maybe it wasn't very long and I just don't know the difference.

What are these sticks you all are talking about? I don't think I have seen anything like that here locally.

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 10:09 AM
THe other option would be to get a cast iron wood chip box, place the chips in that and set the box on the coals.

The inside will eventually catch on fire and burn just like chips any other way tried.

Rather than use soaked chips, make chips from green wood.

Steve
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
"stcks" are actually logs (at least for me) vs a charcoal burner like Brent has or a gas/electric like others have.

I don't remember if I posted a picture of mine in this thread, so at the risk of duplicating, here it is...

http://oldchurchbbq.com/sharedpictures/Ol'Smokey.jpg

those are "sticks" in the front basket :ss

Steve
02-22-2010, 10:10 AM
The inside will eventually catch on fire and burn just like chips any other way tried.

Rather than use soaked chips, make chips from green wood.

Good point...

kydsid
02-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Nice smoker Steve. One day oh one day. I get whatcha mean now by sticks. I think yall would call the lump mesquite charcoal I was using sticks. LOL

And I guess if the chips aren't worth anything it doesn't really matter as they cost less than $10 total.

T.G
02-22-2010, 10:20 AM
That is exactly what I did. I was using natural lump mesquite. Seemed that the soaked chips did what they were supposed to. Maybe it wasn't very long and I just don't know the difference.

Hard to say if it made a difference or not, since you were the only one sampling the end result.

When you're working with a strong wood like mesquite, especially in lump form, where you are going to have flavor infusion from the smoke/burn the whole time (up until the point is reached where the meat will no longer absorb). Apple is very mild, and while there is something to be said for mixing wood types to mellow the stronger woods, I don't know how much you are truly going to get out of 15-20 minutes worth of apple chips over a long mesquite cook.

wayner123
02-22-2010, 11:10 AM
Nice smoker Steve. One day oh one day. I get whatcha mean now by sticks. I think yall would call the lump mesquite charcoal I was using sticks. LOL

And I guess if the chips aren't worth anything it doesn't really matter as they cost less than $10 total.

Steve has it right. Sticks = logs of wood. It's just a term thrown about, sorry for the confusion. Don't get me wrong chips are nice in say a gas grill to add a nice hint of flavor to a piece of meat, but in an offset smoker I think it would get lost. I understand you to have an offset smoker.

Hard to say if it made a difference or not, since you were the only one sampling the end result.

When you're working with a strong wood like mesquite, especially in lump form, where you are going to have flavor infusion from the smoke/burn the whole time (up until the point is reached where the meat will no longer absorb). Apple is very mild, and while there is something to be said for mixing wood types to mellow the stronger woods, I don't know how much you are truly going to get out of 15-20 minutes worth of apple chips over a long mesquite cook.

There is also some discussion really whether or not lump charcoal of a particular type of wood can actually impart flavors based on the wood used. There is a very nice lump maker "Real Montana" lump charcoal and he says that you don't need any fruit woods with his lump because he is traping the flavor of the wood in his lump. However, Ro, Kingsford, etc (we'll call them national brands) have used hickory, mesquite and pecan woods in their lump for years. However people still need to add sticks for the respective flavor. What are your thoughts on lump adding particular wood flavor?

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 11:31 AM
However, Ro, Kingsford, etc (we'll call them national brands) have used hickory, mesquite and pecan woods in their lump for years. However people still need to add sticks for the respective flavor. What are your thoughts on lump adding particular wood flavor?

I use the Kingsford Competition and it's pretty neutral tasting. I have had all maple charcoal and that imparted a ton of awesome flavor, so I know it can happen.

Steve
02-22-2010, 11:35 AM
I use the Kingsford Competition and it's pretty neutral tasting. I have had all maple charcoal and that imparted a ton of awesome flavor, so I know it can happen.

I think that is what Brent uses in competition, and not only does his stuff taste real good, he wins!

(yes, there is a difference :D)

T.G
02-22-2010, 11:41 AM
There is also some discussion really whether or not lump charcoal of a particular type of wood can actually impart flavors based on the wood used. There is a very nice lump maker "Real Montana" lump charcoal and he says that you don't need any fruit woods with his lump because he is traping the flavor of the wood in his lump. However, Ro, Kingsford, etc (we'll call them national brands) have used hickory, mesquite and pecan woods in their lump for years. However people still need to add sticks for the respective flavor. What are your thoughts on lump adding particular wood flavor?

I feel that any natural fuel, briquettes, lump or logs, will impart flavor into the food, how much varies by the base wood used and how it is processed and if additional near flavorless fillers are added. If you want no flavor imparted, use gas or electric and make sure the drippings don't flame up and smoke.

I have been grilling for many, many years longer than I have been BBQing and for the last decade and a half bascally the only lump I have used is Lazzari (http://www.lazzari.com/retail_main.html) and I can say with 100% certanty, it does impart flavor into the food, both when used for grilling and when used for BBQing. Prior to that, I used K-briqs for grilling, but after grilling just one time over Lazzari, I fell instantly in love with it and how it flavored the food.

I have also tried Cowboy brand lump (http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lumpdatabase/lumpbag6.htm), but found it to be mild and inconstant (funny, just reading their review about it and their comments about finding plywood in there - first time I opened a bag of the stuff, I was like "WTF? This is fracking recycled lumber, not natural lump. How long uintil I find something with paint on it in here?").

Funny thing is, as much as I love the Lazzari mesquite lump, I really only use it for grilling now. For BBQing, I've gone over plain old blue bag K-briqs because they are the ultimate in consistency of any natural fuel, they burn at a lower temperature, and they are more mild and very neutral in flavor, allowing me to control flavors with chunks of various woods.

Just my ZW$7,000,000,000,000...

kydsid
02-22-2010, 12:11 PM
Good to see Kingsford recommended. I have similar complaint about Cowboy and won't be using that crap again either. I'll give anything a try once and see if I can find Lazzari.

I would like to thank all of you for posting. I am learning a lot from you guys. Thanks.

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 12:13 PM
I think that is what Brent uses in competition, and not only does his stuff taste real good, he wins!

(yes, there is a difference :D)

The Kingsford gives a long even smoking and it's not very hot; all good for a smoker. They do not burn or look like traditional charcoal so if I were doing open pit BBQ, that would an issue... Well at that point I would just be using split logs... The best thing about Kingsford Comp is that Costco had good price on twin packs and I bought a dozen twin packs of it. Down to 5 bags.

I preload my smoker after I clean it. I take out the charcoal needed for the chimenia and store the chimenia seperate. The tarp and overall design keep the WSM very dry inside.

Apple wood is light enough that you can use straight wood along with white ash and not wait for it to become charcoal. Either two woods as logs and you're food won't end up tasting like a campfire.

I used a lot more wood vs. charcoal when I had a horizontal barrell (Smokin' Pro). The WSM is not as friendly with logs and higher flames.

T.G
02-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Good to see Kingsford recommended. I have similar complaint about Cowboy and won't be using that crap again either. I'll give anything a try once and see if I can find Lazzari.

I would like to thank all of you for posting. I am learning a lot from you guys. Thanks.

Another really good briquette which happens to burn with more of a lump flavor is Rancher Hardwoood Briquettes (http://originalcharcoal.com/products.asp) (top item on the page). In addition to more of a lump flavor, they burn bit longer than standard blue bag k-briqs and they burn hotter, which depending on your pit might not be a bad thing. In my weber, I don't need the extra heat, but some offset drums might.

They do take longer to set up, but once they get going, they aren't bad.

You can probably find them at Home Depot, although they might be seasonal and if so, they might not be there yet.

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 01:31 PM
Cowboy is actually good for grilling. It burns pretty hot, lasts just long enough and there's not much ash. I touch of chips and you get a nice finished product. For sure it is not for the smoker.

T.G
02-22-2010, 01:59 PM
Cowboy is actually good for grilling. It burns pretty hot, lasts just long enough and there's not much ash. I touch of chips and you get a nice finished product. For sure it is not for the smoker.

If it works for you that's great, but I'm hesitant to use it since it seems to be very poorly sorted recycled lumber. I know I once pulled a nail or two out of a bag of what was being sold as lump, and I'm pretty sure it was a bag of cowboy, but there is a small chance that it was another brand I wouldn't normally use (got caught somewhere and needed a bag, couldn't get what I wanted, so bought what they had).

I'm also not big on adding chips when grilling if I can avoid it. Just a personal preference really. Much rather have a nice clean hot fire/coals, plenty of flavor there if the wood was good. Cowboy seems to have very little flavor.

Personally, I'd go with Royal Oak brand lump for a quick grill if I can't get or don't want the Lazzari mesquite - I can get it at any wal-mart (at least out here), burns nice, has good flavor, and it's not made from kiln-dried scrap and recycled junk.

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 02:12 PM
If it works for you that's great, but I'm hesitant to use it since it seems to be very poorly sorted recycled lumber.

I'm also not big on adding chips when grilling if I can avoid it. Just a personal preference really. Much rather have a nice clean hot fire/coals, plenty of flavor there if the wood was good. Cowboy seems to have very little flavor.

I think Cowboy is flooring scraps from the Factory, so there should be no nails. I get some Brazilian charcoal locally that is nice for grilling but is a pain to get going.

I do not add chips when grilling except for Alder when needed. Just throwing the idea out there if you wanted more smoke

T.G
02-22-2010, 02:52 PM
I think Cowboy is flooring scraps from the Factory, so there should be no nails. I get some Brazilian charcoal locally that is nice for grilling but is a pain to get going.

I do not add chips when grilling except for Alder when needed. Just throwing the idea out there if you wanted more smoke

As I said, not 100% sure it was cowboy that I found the nail in.

Regardless, cowboy is still flavorless junk made from kiln dried scrap to me and I won't use it (and judging by commentary a number of places elsewhere, that seems to be a fairly comment sentiment). I can get better for less money elsewhere.

And Lazzari is never a problem since their entire operations is right out here in the bay area. You used to be able to, and I believe you still can, just drive up to the factory and buy in bulk (like shovel the stuff into the bed of a pickup truck bulk) at a very low rate. You used to even be able to get some woods that they don't distribute commercially, or only very limited distro.

mosesbotbol
02-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Shoveling charcoal is like a dream! Wow.

tuxpuff
02-24-2010, 10:05 AM
Probably the last cold night in town so I started a fire and smoked some chicken quarters fireside with the last of my oak logs...with SmokinGators rub.

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1182.jpg

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1183.jpg

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1184.jpg

LooseCard
02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
You guys are killin me!

I really need to clean mine out and cook something... :sad

mosesbotbol
02-25-2010, 02:24 PM
http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1183.jpg

Wow, now that is doing it old school! Did you just leave it there or constantly turn it? What about a drip pan? Was that indoors?

I have seen fireplaces with chickens or wound cord spinning in front of the fire, but not this!

tuxpuff
02-25-2010, 02:58 PM
It's indoors. I turn it every 5 minutes or so....or when I hear it sizzling too much. It's pretty easy to find good temperature spots. No drip pan either...at the end I just cover up the grease areas with the ash...soaks it right up. It turns out pretty darn good I must say!

kydsid
02-26-2010, 08:56 AM
Anyone ever smoked chicken drumsticks, like used in hot wings? Any tips or recipes if you have would be cool.

tuxpuff
02-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Anyone ever smoked chicken drumsticks, like used in hot wings? Any tips or recipes if you have would be cool.

SmokinGator posted a recipe...I've tried them and they are terrific!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20093

Steve
02-26-2010, 09:20 AM
SmokinGator posted a recipe...I've tried them and they are terrific!

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20093

He beat me to it...

(btw, just a word to the wise, anytime Brent (SmokinGator) posts a recipe, it's well worth trying out :tu)

kydsid
02-26-2010, 09:24 AM
That is a great recipe. But he used real wings for that, will little drumsticks work too? Probably just less time to cook. Hmmm

T.G
02-26-2010, 09:26 AM

Do you mean smoke drumsticks and coat them as if they were chicken hot wings?

You can do it, but they won't be much like hot wings - too large and the meat is a stronger flavor, is much tougher, has more connective tissue that needs to break down plus it's greasy to boot. The attraction to hot wings is because because they are small (high sauce & crisped skin to meat ratio), have a very clean flavor, rather tender, have very little connective tissues that need a long cook to break down, so they can be cooked and crisped quickly.

Gator's recipe for smoked wings is kick-ass:
http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=20093&highlight=wings

kydsid
02-26-2010, 09:52 AM
No I mean drumsticks the same size as you would get from Hooters or any other restaurant when you order hot wings. They were on sale at the store last night. 50 of em for $2.50. :D

T.G
02-26-2010, 09:59 AM
No I mean drumsticks the same size as you would get from Hooters or any other restaurant when you order hot wings. They were on sale at the store last night. 50 of em for $2.50. :D

Those aren't drumsticks, those are drumettes. A drumstick is the upper part of the leg, the drumette is the fleshy inner (proximal or "upper") part of the wing. Gator's recipe will do wonders with those.

Damn nice price BTW...

Mr B
02-26-2010, 10:16 AM

We knew what you meant. :tu

TheRiddick
02-26-2010, 11:53 AM
OK, looks like a great recipe, only one question. What kind of weight are we talking about here? 2-3 pounds? And if one wants to do more than that, do I increase initial smoking time from 2.5 hours to ____?

mosesbotbol
02-26-2010, 11:59 AM

In general, no one "smokes chicken". but they cook chicken in smokers. 225 is not enough to get the skin crispy. Ok, after the technical difference, I just crank the smoker up to 350+ and use the same recipes as would be in an oven.

I like to buy chicken quarters and remove the thigh bone so I have a real meaty drummy. I mix crushed garlic, oregano, curry powder, paprika, salt & pepper, and olive oil into a very thin paste. Stuff paste under the skin and baste a little on the outside. Throw in smoker until done

T.G
02-26-2010, 12:08 PM
OK, looks like a great recipe, only one question. What kind of weight are we talking about here? 2-3 pounds? And if one wants to do more than that, do I increase initial smoking time from 2.5 hours to ____?

Doesn't matter what the weight is, cooking / smoking time is the same regardless because the size / individual weight of the pieces being cooked isn't changing, just the quantity being cooked is changing. Just as long as there is some space around them and you keep the pit temperature at the recommended settings, nothing changes.

Unless you have them crammed in there like sardines - in which case you will need more time, and the contact will prevent the smoke from flavoring; although most likely, you'll just burn the outside wings and have raw ones at the center of the pile.

tuxpuff
03-01-2010, 12:38 PM
SmokinGators smoked wings again. Didn't have stuff for the dry rub after the cooking so just threw it in some wet hot sauce...not as tasty as the dry but still darn good.

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1209.jpg

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1211.jpg

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1214.jpg

LooseCard
03-01-2010, 06:07 PM
SmokinGators smoked wings again. Didn't have stuff for the dry rub after the cooking so just threw it in some wet hot sauce...not as tasty as the dry but still darn good.

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1209.jpg

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1211.jpg

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1214.jpg
That looks damned good!

I'm not a fan of "un-trimmed" loin-back ribs, but I'd still rip me off a few ribs!

Smokin Gator
03-01-2010, 06:29 PM
No pics... but I did some chicken legs tonight... Plowboys Yardbird rub... apple wood, pretty high heat (375) for 2 1/2 hours. Drizzled some 12 Bones Blueberry Chipotle sauce on them. They didn't suck!!

kydsid
03-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Was gonna smoke tonight but these 50mph winds put a no go on that. Looks good guys. Makin me hungry.

TheRiddick
03-01-2010, 07:46 PM
Was gonna smoke tonight but these 50mph winds put a no go on that. Looks good guys. Makin me hungry.

Electric smoker.

T.G
03-01-2010, 10:03 PM
So I scored a bunch of freshly pruned lemon branches in various sizes earlier today. A few 3" - 4" branches, but most is 1" - 2" stuff. I'd estimate if I cut all the wood into chunks, it would be two or so 5 gal buckets full after trimming off all the leaves and little stuff (the little stuff I saved - an additional better part of a 5 gal bucket there). :wo

Now, ask me next year about this time how this stuff smokes. Maybe all the holes I tore in my hands today trimming these lemon branches down will heal by then too. LOL.

Working on hopefully getting some almond wood in a few weeks too.

TheRiddick
03-01-2010, 10:34 PM
So I scored a bunch of freshly pruned lemon branches in various sizes earlier today. A few 3" - 4" branches, but most is 1" - 2" stuff. I'd estimate if I cut all the wood into chunks, it would be two or so 5 gal buckets full after trimming off all the leaves and little stuff (the little stuff I saved - an additional better part of a 5 gal bucket there). :wo

Now, ask me next year about this time how this stuff smokes. Maybe all the holes I tore in my hands today trimming these lemon branches down will heal by then too. LOL.

Working on hopefully getting some almond wood in a few weeks too.

How is walnut tree for smoking wood?

T.G
03-01-2010, 11:00 PM
How is walnut tree for smoking wood?

It's fine. Just remember that because it's a hardwood, it's going to have a strong flavor, so apply sparingly. Ideally, mix with a lighter fruit wood to mellow it, like apple, pear, peach, persimmon, etc.

PS: Thanks for the reminder that I need to go hunting for some around here soon.

mosesbotbol
03-02-2010, 04:30 AM
In France it is the norm to cut off that digit on the chicken wings. Once you start doing it, chicken wings never look the same with the digit on there.

Mr B
03-03-2010, 09:34 AM
That looks super tasty Luke. Great Job :tu

tuxpuff
03-05-2010, 07:40 AM
Smoked chicken quarters on my rickety kingsford.

http://cigar-review-site.com/cooking/img_1229.jpg