PDA

View Full Version : Best-smelling unlit NC you've ever encountered!

Doctorossi
09-22-2009, 10:39 AM
I sniffed at a particular choice stick in a B & M a couple weeks ago and the scent overwhelmed me. I could smell this cabinet (among a sea of others) from a couple feet away, so I picked one up and gave it the point-blank test. And that's when it invaded my dreams. I already had a full order in my hands that day, so somehow I managed to walk out of there without it.

However, our separation would not be a long one. That smell haunted me in my sleep and my waking dreams and drew me, as if on a wisp of smoke, right back to the store to BUY BUY BUY. That was a few days ago. I'm gonna burn the beast tonight.

This stick was so much more aromatic to this nose (and deliciously, insidiously so) than any other in that B & M that it inspired in me the question:

What's the most intoxicating, :dr NC stick you've ever dragged beneath your nostrils?

List 'em up and after this thread has run its course for a couple days, I'll reveal the mystery stick that gripped my senses (and whether it smells as good lit as it does right now).

TheTraveler
09-22-2009, 10:44 AM
Well, I felt a little dizzy after sniffing an Acid.

:r

J/K

In general I like the way a walkin humidor smells - all that earthy tobacco goodness!!! :dr

Specifically in answer to your question though I love the smell of a Punch Royal Coronation. It's got exactly the right rustic, earthy tone I enjoy (pre-light) in my cigars.

icantbejon
09-22-2009, 11:12 AM
would you care to share which particular cigar it was that blew you away? I've never had a cigar invade my dreams, so I'm curious.

eber
09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
San Cristobal smells amazing to me

wayner123
09-22-2009, 11:28 AM
I used to smell cigars when I first started out. But after many dissapointments I stopped doing it. Smelling a cigar has never been indicative of what it will taste like, in my experience.

But for the sake of the thread, the best smelling NC I would have to say was probably the DPG Blue custom roll at his event. It still was a little wet from the "glue" and smelt really good.

TheTraveler
09-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Smelling a cigar has never been indicative of what it will taste like, in my experience.

I understand what you mean. That Punch that is my favorite smelling cigar (pre-light) is not my favorite cigar to smoke, although I do enjoy it a lot.

Doctorossi
09-22-2009, 11:45 AM
would you care to share which particular cigar it was that blew you away?

Somebody didn't read the whole post! :D

Doctorossi
09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
I used to smell cigars when I first started out. But after many dissapointments I stopped doing it. Smelling a cigar has never been indicative of what it will taste like, in my experience.

Why would that make you stop?

IMO, if it smells good, it smells good- regardless of what it tastes like.

ActionAndy
09-22-2009, 11:47 AM
Camacho Liberty '07, Davidoff Aniversario Tubo, actually any Davidoff.

yitlin
09-22-2009, 11:52 AM
Coronado by LFD smells pretty good to me.

JJG
09-22-2009, 11:53 AM
I can't think of a particular cigar but one thing I do love, is to take the top off my tupperdor and just take a big whiff

Doctorossi
09-22-2009, 11:58 AM
I can't think of a particular cigar but one thing I do love, is to take the top off my tupperdor and just take a big whiff

:tpd: I do that almost every day!

kelmac07
09-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Haven't smelled one that gave me dreams yet...still hoping!! :tu

Doctorossi
09-22-2009, 12:45 PM
Haven't smelled one that gave me dreams yet...still hoping!! :tu

I might have to send you one of these guys. Just judging on smell, I think it might be up your alley.

Mr B
09-22-2009, 12:49 PM
To me, by far its the My Father :dr :banger

wayner123
09-22-2009, 01:09 PM
Why would that make you stop?

IMO, if it smells good, it smells good- regardless of what it tastes like.

Because it influences my thoughts. I like to go into smoking a new cigar with as much of a clean palate as I can.

I will say, I do love the way my cooler smells when I open it, but that is not really an individual cigar thing.

Giant & 49er Fan
09-22-2009, 01:14 PM
VSG Ashton is up there for me.

Scottastic
09-22-2009, 01:18 PM

I'm with B on this one, as well as Oliva V.

The worst to me are Parti Shorts, but I love them when lit. :dr

kaisersozei
09-22-2009, 01:23 PM
If I only went on prelight aroma, my preference would be for the chocolatey-smelling cigars: Drew Estate Java is at the top of that list on the smell-o-meter, but scores a :pu when smoking. For me, non-flavored cigars that come close (prelight) are the Cubao & RP OWR Maduro. (And fortunately these are a world of difference from the Java when smoking!)

Skywalker
09-22-2009, 01:40 PM

:tpd: I agree with you, Bro!!!

beamish
09-22-2009, 01:43 PM
TAT HAVANA'S WITH ABOUT A YEAR ON THEM:tu

Bax
09-22-2009, 01:43 PM
that's it, next time I'm at a B&M I'm smelling every cigar in the joint:D

Gargoyle
09-22-2009, 01:54 PM
Graycliff Crystal, Man O' War, LFD, JDN and Camacho SLR tend to do the trick :)

sikk50
09-22-2009, 02:25 PM
An Opus that is over powering with raison

Doctorossi
09-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Because it influences my thoughts. I like to go into smoking a new cigar with as much of a clean palate as I can.

Huh. To each their own, I guess. Personally, I would liken ignoring the pre-light aroma because it may differ from the lit aroma/flavor to watching a modern movie with the sound off because the audio might impact your expectations of the visuals.

adampc22
09-22-2009, 02:27 PM
man o war ruintion is like wow smell its make my nose burn and that takes alot as i take snuff alot

duckmanco
09-22-2009, 02:34 PM
the unlit foot of almost any EO brand smoke, especially:

Cubao
601 BP maduro

MedicCook
09-22-2009, 02:34 PM
I enjoy the smell of the Illusiones.

wayner123
09-22-2009, 02:36 PM
Huh. To each their own, I guess. Personally, I would liken ignoring the pre-light aroma because it may differ from the lit aroma/flavor to watching a modern movie with the sound off because the audio might impact your expectations of the visuals.

To me it's more like skipping over the previews of different movies than the one I am watching. :) The pre-light aroma for me has never told me what the cigar will taste like. It doesn't help in any way at all in that regards.

If someone just likes the way cigars smell I can understand that. But to do it on an individual basis, IMO, doesn't add anything to the enjoyment of the cigar. In fact it detracts by making my mind think this cigar is going to be good, bad, etc.

Doctorossi
09-22-2009, 02:43 PM
It doesn't help in any way at all in that regards.

However, it smells nice and you already paid for it. :ss

Mugen910
09-22-2009, 02:45 PM
Davidoff with a few years on them.. :dr

BryanB
09-22-2009, 03:38 PM
The best I've smelled is the Padilla 48 Churchills. Open the box and it smells of caramel. :D

The Poet
09-22-2009, 03:43 PM
Ad de momem I dot a told, so I don smell veddy well.

Emjaysmash
09-22-2009, 03:48 PM
man o war ruintion is like wow smell its make my nose burn and that takes alot as i take snuff alot

Yeah, and I think its all going to your head mate! :r

Starscream
09-22-2009, 08:18 PM
My smell alone and not flavor, I'd have to say Drew Estate Java.

mrgto
09-24-2009, 11:23 PM
I like any cigar that has that fresh cut hay smell. It always takes me back to my youth when i bailed hay and worked on farms. I had a 5 Vegas Miami knuckle that really smelled like straw, that gave me an instant flashback to he fields!

bigswol2
09-24-2009, 11:26 PM
Sharks do it for me!

sofaman
09-25-2009, 04:32 AM
For me its the Illusione 68 I will never forget the first box I bought when I opened the lid and stuck my nose to it :)

Doctorossi
09-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Well, it looks like this thread has run its course, so it's time for the big reveal...

The cigar that drew me back?

La Gloria Cubana Serie R #7 (colorado wrapper)

Hoowee! Get a whiff o' that! As for the post-light report:

I liked this cigar a lot, but not enough to factor it into my regular rotation, especially considering the price. I understand this line is supposed to be a 'stronger' blend, but I found it to be a very mild primary flavor with a moderate dusting of white pepper riding on top. However, I suspect the box may have been sitting in the store for a couple/few years, so it may have mellowed a fair bit. Aside from the aforementioned pepper, I found the taste to be almost a perfect cross between a CC Hoyo double corona and the classic Avo blend. This was quite unexpected and pretty fun.

maverickdrinker
09-28-2009, 03:46 PM
The one that has impressed me the most has been the cains. Just a gorgeous aroma everytime I open the box

s15driftking
09-28-2009, 03:49 PM
sancho panza double maduro smells AMAZING